Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
A persona with the press-turn system would be neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:

Neeksy posted:

A persona with the press-turn system would be neat.

I'd like to see some fleshing out/complication of the battle mechanics in future persona titles. Atlus are cowards so they won't, but I think with the power creep inherent to the social link mechanics in p5, they could afford to make the battle mechanics a little more complex.

Half the fun of smt is seeing how the AI exploits the system and figuring out how to counterprogram that. I get that persona is supposed to be a little more casual, but even on (especially on?) merciless, p5 is just too easy. If P6 builds on the essence mechanic in smt5 (please do this instead of keeping skill cards) they will definitely need to step up the challenge to keep it from being braindead.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

anakha posted:

I literally snorted at an online argument about how P5 has been milked for 6 years now and the retort was 'well with the remake, P3's now been milked for 17 years so P5's still got some catching up to do'.

Every Persona title after 3 was built off of the systems that game pioneered, ergo it's the only one that's been milked :smug:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Gaius Marius posted:

Persona isn't smt. I want smt more than I want persona.

Soul Hackers 2 not setting the world on fire won't help, though you can lay the blame for that on a lot of things.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Waste of Breath posted:

Releasing the latest and best (mechanically, not storywise) title on something other than switch would help.

Nintendo funded SMT5 though right? :/

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]

I said come in! posted:

Nintendo funded SMT5 though right? :/

If that's the case it's too bad cause that unreal engine game would shine on pc. And I'm not gonna put in the grind necessary to beat demifiend without cheat engine b/c I'm 35 and have a full time job lmao

E: mean grinding out a party with the correct resistances etc. Regular ending and even Shiva are pretty easy but demifiend is next level

Nephrite
Aug 18, 2006
Lipstick Apathy

ApplesandOranges posted:

Give me... Devil Survivor 3.

This, except a full from-the-ground-up remake of Persona 1 to include modern things like Social Links and active dungeon exploration in 3rd person.

(I know this is never going to happen don't worry)

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'd rather they spend their effort on a game with a single redeeming quality than Persona 1

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

Persona 5 Blobber (P5B)

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

ApplesandOranges posted:

Give me... Devil Survivor 3.

This is what worries me about P5T. There must've been a conversation about whether to make DeSu3 or another P5 spinoff, and the easy money won instead of the creatively more interesting choice.

Nephrite posted:

This, except a full from-the-ground-up remake of Persona 1 to include modern things like Social Links and active dungeon exploration in 3rd person.

(I know this is never going to happen don't worry)

The design wouldn't work without being a different game entirely.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

While it's obviously impossible to say for sure, my gut feeling based off of the trailer is that the P3 remake will be almost a direct 1:1 remake without many changes beyond quality of life stuff and maybe spicing up Tartarus a bit.

The absolute most I might expect is party member S-links, but I otherwise expect it to just be P3 with more P5-ish gameplay and better graphics.

My main basis for this is the absence of anything obviously new in the trailer. If it had major changes, I'd expect them to tease at least one in the trailer just to get people talking.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It's possible there's a full trailer that'll drop tomorrow and show more (because what we get here is pretty threadbare) but my hopes are not high.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

There's 2 scenes with Yukari in that trailer of the MC cooking with her and eating with her in the dorm. Not anything huge, but I'm pretty sure those weren't in the original games.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Atlus loves to slowly dole out information. I would not assume 'nothing is different' just on a trailer.

Besides it is an Atlus rerelease. Those are legally obligated to have a new important female character

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Atlus loves to slowly dole out information. I would not assume 'nothing is different' just on a trailer.

Besides it is an Atlus rerelease. Those are legally obligated to have a new important female character

And whenever she's not around, all the other characters should be asking "Where's InsertNameHere?"

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."

Gaius Marius posted:

This is what worries me about P5T. There must've been a conversation about whether to make DeSu3 or another P5 spinoff, and the easy money won instead of the creatively more interesting choice.

The design wouldn't work without being a different game entirely.

Devil Survivor isn't just a SMT SRPG, though, it's a very specific other thing. The type of setting, social bonding, and character mechanics are all pretty set parts of the series identity established by the two games, and very likely "depending on your choices, characters may die" as well. If Devil Survivor 3's mechanics stepped away from any or all of those things then people would understandably be upset, because it wouldn't be a proper Devil Survivor.

Even speaking as a person who really likes both Devil Survivor games, I can totally understand wanting to make a more standard kind of SRPG instead.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I wouldn’t be surprised if P5T doesn’t end up selling great either, just based on the tepid response so far and what seems like growing P5 fatigue, on top of tactics games being fairly niche.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Its visual style isn't all that charming, there's ways to stylize them that don't feel like... that.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
yeah idk about a tactics game with only like 9 different characters, unless they have more OCs than the spear girl and just aren't showing them yet.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

Inflammatory posted:

yeah idk about a tactics game with only like 9 different characters, unless they have more OCs than the spear girl and just aren't showing them yet.

Idk why they won't make a new DeSu3... I really enjoyed the combat system

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I hope they make Joan the Arc a persona user tho

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I will give P5T the benefit of the doubt (Especially because of gamepass lol) but I think Strikers spoiled me by being a meaningful continuation of the story rather than "oh this doesn't really matter because of amnesia/dreamworld stuff" which this kinda looks like (or maybe I'm assuming because of the Q-like style)...

Also Strikers didn't have Kasumi and people surmised that was because it was developed concurrently with Royal, but what excuse does Tactica have to be Kasumi-less lol

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

ImpAtom posted:

Monkey paw curls: FeMC is in the game but just as a new love interest for the male one.

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.

YaketySass posted:

Monkey paw curls: FeMC is in the game but just as a new love interest for the male one.

You finish the game with her maxed out. Elizabeth asks FeMC "What if you could change this to something different?" Bam, game starts with her waking up on the train and Her Answer version of the game begins as if you started the whole game over as her.
It lasts one hour and the game ends normally.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ytlaya posted:

While it's obviously impossible to say for sure, my gut feeling based off of the trailer is that the P3 remake will be almost a direct 1:1 remake without many changes beyond quality of life stuff and maybe spicing up Tartarus a bit.

The absolute most I might expect is party member S-links, but I otherwise expect it to just be P3 with more P5-ish gameplay and better graphics.

My main basis for this is the absence of anything obviously new in the trailer. If it had major changes, I'd expect them to tease at least one in the trailer just to get people talking.
this is a lot of assumptions based off 30 seconds of footage

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Not really sure why people are desperate for this remake to be bad.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I don't think anyone outside of Atlus particularly wants it to be bad.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Not really desperate for it to be bad, but I have no faith in what I've seen. They'd need to do something radically more interesting than what they're showing to make me care at this point, though it's possible there's more we haven't seen.

The one positive thing I'll say is that I've seen people complaining that they replaced the Aigis introduction cutscene with something in-engine, which I find ridiculous, because OG P3's cutscenes looked awful. Not huge on the remake's aesthetic but it's easily an improvement there.

e: I do think that, assuming that's the full trailer and not just a sizzle reel meant exclusively for social media, they'd probably lead with at least some kind of new feature in their announcement, and them not doing that suggests this is going to be "faithful" to a degree I find a bit offputting.

Arist fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Jun 11, 2023

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

https://twitter.com/Faulerro/status/1666967968616423425

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Not really sure why people are desperate for this remake to be bad.

I for one am very happy about this remake. I hope its great. I love Persona 3 a lot. 3 - 5 are really equal for me.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Off-hand, outside of the main P3 cast, I wonder if they'll be able to get back all of the old cast. Like, Takaya and so on. I think the dateable girls also get some lines, right? Chidori and Yuko.

Actually most importantly, will Theodore be in the remake, since his existence is kinda contingent on FeMC. He would already have a different VA from P3P since they replaced him from Persona Q onwards.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

None of the Social Links in 3 are voiced at all, so no, Chihiro and Yuko are not voiced.

e: Chihiro is briefly voiced in 4, though, and she's played by Fuuka's current VA so that's a possibility.

Arist fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jun 11, 2023

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

chihiro got a VA in persona 4 (and its anime), yuko got one in the p3 movies and drama CDs

tho dub-wise they're inconsistent about all those (and the drama CDs didnt get dubbed natch) so

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Huh, I thought they would have voiced the Christmas dates or something, but oh well. Makes it easier for Atlus I guess.

And oh yeah, Fuuka has a new VA, I guess that's at least one cast replacement already. Though the new one is much better in my opinion.

I also hope Fuuka gets more scenes in P3R, part of the issue in P3 was that she never really had much to do after joining and then just kinda sitting in Lucia/Juno. Her Persona Evolution isn't even tied to anyone else in the cast or main plot.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Ken also got replaced at some point

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

ApplesandOranges posted:

Off-hand, outside of the main P3 cast, I wonder if they'll be able to get back all of the old cast. Like, Takaya and so on. I think the dateable girls also get some lines, right? Chidori and Yuko.

Actually most importantly, will Theodore be in the remake, since his existence is kinda contingent on FeMC. He would already have a different VA from P3P since they replaced him from Persona Q onwards.

junpei's VA was vic mignogna I'm pretty sure and and I don't think he's getting hired much these days after all that stuff came out about him so he's probably out

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

vic's definitely out, he hasnt done any VAing at all since it came out

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Strassman might return, which would be unfortunate given that she's gotten big into antivaxx and QAnon

And also was honestly not very good

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Arist posted:

Strassman might return, which would be unfortunate given that she's gotten big into antivaxx and QAnon

And also was honestly not very good

She was extremely good as Nanako, which annoyed me because I recently replayed P4 with full knowledge and she's still a very well voiced character.

But P4 hasn't gotten any dubbed content since Ultimax so hopefully we've heard the last of her in the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Arist posted:

Not really desperate for it to be bad, but I have no faith in what I've seen. They'd need to do something radically more interesting than what they're showing to make me care at this point, though it's possible there's more we haven't seen.

The one positive thing I'll say is that I've seen people complaining that they replaced the Aigis introduction cutscene with something in-engine, which I find ridiculous, because OG P3's cutscenes looked awful. Not huge on the remake's aesthetic but it's easily an improvement there.

e: I do think that, assuming that's the full trailer and not just a sizzle reel meant exclusively for social media, they'd probably lead with at least some kind of new feature in their announcement, and them not doing that suggests this is going to be "faithful" to a degree I find a bit offputting.

Nah you desperately want it to be bad let’s be real here.

The 30 seconds trailer wasn’t even necessary you already made up your mind the second you heard it existed