Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

nunsexmonkrock posted:

And walk around with your wet butt? Well you do you I guess lol .

Please don't heteroshame :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

WIBTA for refusing to let my sister ride with my brother and I on the way to vacation.
My parents just decided earlier this week on where we are going for vacation. Turns out were going to the mountains.
While we have been here before, everyone is still really excited. The entire trip has been planned out so far.
And we are all ready to go on vacation.Not only that but our grandparents are coming with us. So everyone is really excited for this trip.

Though due to their age my grandparents don't want to dive 6+ hours to a mountain cabin, so their riding with us.
With the addition of them, the total going in 7 people and its hard to find a vehicle that would fit us comfortably .
So the solution is for someone to take another car, and I volunteered to take my truck along with my brother.
While this fixed the crowding problem, it caused another to pop up.

My sister wants to ride with my brother and I. We have the room for her, and it would allow for the other car to have more room. But I don't want her to ride, for a number of reason.
Mainly she is the worlds worst backseat driver. No matter how well i drive somethings always wrong.
I'm too close to one side, or I'm not checking blind-spots enough. Rather than calmly point out my mistake she screams at me
that I cant drive and often demands i pull over and switch with her.

Then there are a number of smaller reasons. She has to have complete control of music and ac, she has to be in the passenger seat,
and she is the only one who can choose rest-stops, restaurants, and gas station.Then the worst is she takes her drat shoes and sock off,
then puts here nasty rear end feet on the dash. When these things combine its honestly impossible to focus on the road as she gets load and mean when we don't listen to her.

The thing is she sees this as a sibling road-trip and away out of riding with all of the "old people".
She has vowed to be calm and has agreed to stop backseat driving. But i don't trust her,
and if I'm driving up a mountain in the dark I want more than a promise that nothing will happen.

If i tell her no she will freakout before we leave. But i cant deal with her and navigate the interstate/mountain roads. So its essentially choosing between the lesser of two evils.
A freak out at home before we leave or on the middle of the interstate . Id rather not have conflict at all but it unavoidable at this point, and i don't want to ruin vacation over the car arrangement.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Evil Willow posted:

AITA for going on a tea strike?

It's either passive aggressive petty revenge for some, possibly imagined, sleight on his part, or it's classic controlling behaviour because she doesn't think tea should have sugar.

In Britain you are taught how to make tea as a child as a basic life skill. Especially how to make a round of teas for guests/co-workers and including how to make note of their preference.

Unless she has some kind of debilitating short term memory deficiency this is deliberate. If you pull this poo poo with a co-worker in an office with tea-rounds you'd probably get a word in your ear from the boss or even HR.

Currently making my wife a cup of tea, exactly how she likes it, same as every tea I've made her in 9 years.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Nearly all the tea etiquette can translate seamlessly to coffee for Americans, and indeed it's really not that hard. It's prepackaged ingredients, boiling water, and often signature or marked vessels so you know whose is whose. loving it up repeatedly is a sign of Problems one way or another.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

My wife's -$38,000/yr career

loving incredible

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Evil Willow posted:

AITA for working a shift during my daughter's birthday?

A lot of AITA posts are simply cries for help.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Nearly all the tea etiquette can translate seamlessly to coffee for Americans, and indeed it's really not that hard. It's prepackaged ingredients, boiling water, and often signature or marked vessels so you know whose is whose. loving it up repeatedly is a sign of Problems one way or another.

The most tea-disciplined theatre I toured to in the UK warned touring companies to bring their own mugs from home/digs, because everyone had their own mug in the green room, no spares, wash your own, don't touch other people's. And the whole building stopped for tea at the same time, morning and afternoon, so everyone saw each other regardless of what their job was.

It was nice.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

I worked for a construction company in the UK and we’d randomly trade off who made tea/coffee for everyone during lunch and tea time. People often went with the same thing every time but we did have options so we’d still ask in case anyone wanted something different that day. If I can keep the drink orders of 9+ people straight whether they asked for something specific or just “the usual” then I think everyone should be able to manage the single unwavering preference of their life partner, barring some kind of severe memory disorder

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

Elviscat posted:

AITA for telling a pregnant woman to sit on the ground instead of giving her my seat?

Hey, I'm pregnant, give me your stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbTB3ASkdOo

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Issaries posted:

WIBTA for refusing to let my sister ride with my brother and I on the way to vacation.
My mom wasn’t even close to this bad and drives to see family very quickly turned into “Sorry but no, we’re driving separately for my sanity and/or auto insurance.” Turbo eject that passenger

Lusty Grundles
Jun 9, 2023

Bobstar posted:

The most tea-disciplined theatre I toured to in the UK warned touring companies to bring their own mugs from home/digs, because everyone had their own mug in the green room, no spares, wash your own, don't touch other people's. And the whole building stopped for tea at the same time, morning and afternoon, so everyone saw each other regardless of what their job was.

It was nice.
That does sound pretty nice. We had something similar where I worked a few years ago, it was an enforced tea break where we'd all get up from our desks and chat for a bit. Someone would take it in turns to bring in Rockies or Clubs, it really nicely broke up the morning.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Bug Squash posted:

Am I reading that right. His wife makes -$38,000 a year and calls it a career rather than an expensive hobby?

If you call it a career you can take the losses on your taxes (at least until the IRS comes to give you a talking-to) if it's a hobby you can't.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

sullat posted:

If you call it a career you can take the losses on your taxes (at least until the IRS comes to give you a talking-to) if it's a hobby you can't.

I think you only get to do that for like 3 years or something though

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

edogawa rando posted:

If it only takes two minutes, then they can do it themselves. What, does OP live in a palace?

I make my girlfriends' food and drinks for her the way she likes them because I'm not an rear end in a top hat :shrug:

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Bobstar posted:

It was nice.

This same concept of basic worker's rights once brought James Cameron into a hysterical rage.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

hallo spacedog posted:

I think you only get to do that for like 3 years or something though

There's no hard and fast rule per se, the 'three years' is a guideline given out by (responsible) tax preparers. Ultimately though a lot of people just do it until they get caught, and presumably a lot of people don't get caught. E.G. Mitt Romney was deducting his wife's horse expenses as 'medical expenses' and I don't think he ever got audited for that.

Lusty Grundles
Jun 9, 2023

Whorelord posted:

This same concept of basic worker's rights once brought James Cameron into a hysterical rage.
Not surprised. Both of them could've easily fit on that door.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

Mx. posted:

A good thread title.

ad090
Oct 4, 2013

claws for alarm
AITA for begging my girlfriend to uphold a sexist tradition just so she can make a good first impression?

quote:

I have a big family that’s incredibly close. We have big family dinners every few months where we all meet at my great grand fathers estate and eat together. Typically how this works is that the women go cook for the time they’re there and the men don’t. Which I am fully aware it’s sexist as hell. That being said I am one of the youngest people in family and my protests mean literally nothing.

Some of those women choose not to cook, however this is usually met with a level of ostracizing. The women who don’t cook are lives and long term girlfriends. So they kinda already have a good family relationship doctored in. When I have seen new partners not cook, it’s gone bad. Like completely ostracized, not speaking, cattiness, rudeness etc.

This dinner will be in two weeks and my girlfriend was asked if she would attend. Initially she said yes, which is great. I want for her to meet everyone and for everyone to get used to her being around, but when I explained to her the tradition she was understandably bothered.

I told her that I understood where she was coming from, however it was best for everyone if she just played along. I told her this isn’t a permanent thing and that I am only asking her to do this so that she can avoid bad treatment from the rest of the family. This is her first impression and I don’t think it’s best if we cause waves.

She told me that it’s unacceptable and that if she has to do that she will not be going. I’ve tried to find a compromise with her on this but she won’t budge and she’s pissed at me. She told me that if I think it’s acceptable to make her do this I’m just as bad as everyone else, while my point is that she needs to make a good first impression.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Mx. posted:

loving incredible
you gotta spend money to make money

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Bug Squash posted:

Am I reading that right. His wife makes -$38,000 a year and calls it a career rather than an expensive hobby?
Yeah, it's just that hilarious: He said the expenses for that career set them back $38k per year. In other words, they're actively losing $38,000 a year on the wife's "job".

OP in the comments posted:

No to clarify her career brings in a net loss of around $38,000 a year. But she grew up wealthy and it is hard for her to come to terms with the fact that cutting back needs to start now, not just have her agree that it is a good concept.

loving lol.

MagusofStars fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jun 11, 2023

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Also note that it's not $550 for a party photographer for an 8-year-old, it's an EXTRA $550 for a SECOND party photographer plus however much was lost on the deposit for the first photographer that was not up to the wife's standards

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Like an addict who has to hit rock bottom before they can change, horse wife isn't going to snap out of it until they're foreclosed on and evicted.

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice

ad090 posted:

AITA for begging my girlfriend to uphold a sexist tradition just so she can make a good first impression?

'It's very important for you to make a good first impression. No, my family will not be making a good first impression on you, why do you ask?"

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Roobanguy posted:

Horse people, not even once.

I worked with a horse girl last summer. All she did was talk about trying to find a boyfriend that had the money and property to support her horse girl lifestyle.

Don't date horse girls.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

EvilJoven posted:

Don't date horse girls.

Not really related to your point but, and don't feel like you need to respond to this, but where did you get that av from?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

AITA for saving my girlfriend's pizza crust

quote:

I (24M) and my gf (24F) have been together for over 6 years. We do not live together so a lot of times when we do get to see each other we either go out/order food. I also grew up in a home where we try our best to not waste food. For example, we wrap up any leftovers from every meal no matter how small. One pancake after breakfast? Into the fridge. Half-eaten burger? Into the fridge. Within the next couple days, the leftovers will be eaten by someone. And if no one eats it, then we will usually put it in the freezer to be eaten at a later date.

One of the foods we order, of course, is pizza. When I order pizza with my girlfriend, she usually tells me which pieces she wants and which ones I can have. I actually really like this because then I don’t have to worry about upsetting anyone by eating a piece they really wanted. She claims that the crust is her favorite part of the pizza, so she saves it all for last. By that I mean she will eat the cheesy part of the pizza and leave the crust until she has eaten every slice she wanted and just has a plate of crust. The first time she did that I tried to eat her crust and she stopped me and told me that she saves it all for last because she likes it so much. The only thing is that she by the time she finishes all the cheesy parts, she is too full to eat her crust but still won’t let me eat her crust. After we are done, I usually clean the table up and I will put the crust in a ziplock bag and put it in the fridge and eventually in the freezer if it’s been a couple days. As much as I love pizza, I do not like the taste of day-old crust, especially when it becomes chewy from the microwave (I know there are ways to heat it up other than the microwave but I’m too lazy and impatient to do that). Since I don’t eat the leftover crust, it is up to her to eat it and I always tell her that the crust is either in the fridge or in the freezer for when she wants it.

About a month ago we got into a bit of a fight about how much money and food we waste when we are together. Since I buy most of the food, I don’t like to waste it because it feels like I am wasting money. She said she understood but then a week later when we saw each other, we ended up wasting just as much food. That really upset me so the next day I decided to take all of her crust that had been in the freezer, heat it up, and put it on a plate for her to eat. I’m not entirely sure how old the crust was, but let’s just say I don’t remember the last time I cleaned out the freezer. When she saw what I did she got really angry, told me she was breaking up with me, and left. She didn’t speak to me for a couple of days until she realized she left some of her stuff here and needed to get it back. When she came by, she wouldn’t look or listen to me when I gave her the stuff. I know it was rude, but I still feel like she is overreacting a little bit.

AITA?

I don't even care about the overall judgment on this one, I'm too shaken by the idea of someone just pushing through the actual pizza part of the pizza to get to their special delicacy, the crust :psyduck:

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
Dude needs to get some pigs and feed them the scraps

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Captain Hygiene posted:

AITA for saving my girlfriend's pizza crust

I don't even care about the overall judgment on this one, I'm too shaken by the idea of someone just pushing through the actual pizza part of the pizza to get to their special delicacy, the crust :psyduck:
This is not just about food, is it? :thunk:

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

yeah that's more blatant of a partial story than a novel with half its pages ripped out

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Just imagining a freezer top-to-bottom full of sandwich bags of 1-2 pieces of crust each and nothing else

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

I open the freezer and an avalanche of weeks-old pizza crusts tumbles out, burying my cat. “Not again”, I sigh

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

just reassemble the crusts into a new pizza

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Make pizza bone broth.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Shifty Pony posted:

Make pizza bone broth.

lmao

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
I want to see one of those inexplicable YouTube videos:

Do you love pizza crust? Do you like it so much you save it for last but then can't finish it after eating the pizza middle? But you can't bare to toss your favourite part of the pizza so you refrigerate and then freeze it? And even though it's your favourite you don't want to eat just crust? In this video we'll show you how to prepare just the middle and bake old crusts unto it. Best part is if you eat the middle first to save the crusts, and then don't have room for them, they've been rebaked and are ready to go back in the fridge or freezer!

Where you're sure it's a parody until you see like 45 comments with 'How cool and frugal. I have this exact problem! Definitely trying this hack ext time!'.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
It's called the heel of the pizza.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
LOL anime.

AITA husband didn't come back to let me in being locked out 2 hours.

quote:

Husband went to an anime convention at 10am, I was home. At 13:30 I went out to buy groceries and accidentally locked myself out. Let him know and it's blazing hot out here we're in the middle of a heatwave. Groceries still outside. He stayed until the very end of the convention and now at 15:40 he's still not back. Dog hasn't been out for lunchtime pee yet.

I'm angry and acting cold towards him because he didn't try come back a little earlier at least , is that justified?
"Accidentally" - uh huh, sure.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
I had to read it a second time before it clicked that his girl friend isn't insisting on saving the crusts for later. He's just sticking them in the freezer and getting angrier and angrier that she isn't coming over to eat weeks old pizza crusts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

ad090 posted:

I really want to know what happens if one of the male family members brings a boyfriend home.