Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Badger of Basra posted:

anyone have recs for ocarina of time, majora's mask, or wind waker? preferably not blind

It's been, uh, eight years, but I remember enjoying this three-day challenge run.

EDIT: vvv oh yeah, the DoctorKill LPs are absolutely worth your time.

TooMuchAbstraction fucked around with this message at 02:18 on May 14, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

ThornBrain has done LPs of the 3DS port of Ocarina and the N64 version of Majora with his crew, and Mugiwara Yoshi took the helm for Wind Waker HD. All three are LPs by folks who have played the games before and know what they're doing. If you don't mind if the co-commentators are blind as long as the LPer knows the game, FrenzyTheKillbot has an ongoing LP of Ocarina with two blind co-coms that might be worth checking out, especially considering he's doing the Ship of Harkinian unofficial PC port, the first full LP of that on the forums AFAIK.

If you're looking for something a little more esoteric, there's an old LPs by DoctorKill of both Ocarina and Majora. DoctorKill comes from the speedrunning community and his LPs are done with the intent of showing off the glitches and exploits used by the community. His Ocarina LP goes through the child dungeons as adult and vice versa, while he does (IIRC) reverse boss order in Majora.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Commander Keene posted:

ThornBrain has done LPs of the 3DS port of Ocarina and the N64 version of Majora with his crew, and Mugiwara Yoshi took the helm for Wind Waker HD. All three are LPs by folks who have played the games before and know what they're doing. If you don't mind if the co-commentators are blind as long as the LPer knows the game, FrenzyTheKillbot has an ongoing LP of Ocarina with two blind co-coms that might be worth checking out, especially considering he's doing the Ship of Harkinian unofficial PC port, the first full LP of that on the forums AFAIK.

If you're looking for something a little more esoteric, there's an old LPs by DoctorKill of both Ocarina and Majora. DoctorKill comes from the speedrunning community and his LPs are done with the intent of showing off the glitches and exploits used by the community. His Ocarina LP goes through the child dungeons as adult and vice versa, while he does (IIRC) reverse boss order in Majora.

Once you're done with those you can look into the LPs for several OoT romhacks that are also in the archive IIRC. Of course those are blind in the sense that nobody had played those romhacks before.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Badger of Basra posted:

anyone have recs for ocarina of time, majora's mask, or wind waker? preferably not blind

Commander Keene posted:

In addition to these, there is also an LP of Ocarina of Time Master Quest, the in-house Nintendo-made "Hard Mode" romhack of OoT by Artix also done on the Ship of Harkinian PC port.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Don’t expect a comprehensive LP of OOT from that Master Quest LP, we streamlined a lot of the non-dungeon stuff into highlight reels to focus on the dungeons, which are the actual meat and potatoes of MQ.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

ChaosArgate posted:

Don’t expect a comprehensive LP of OOT from that Master Quest LP, we streamlined a lot of the non-dungeon stuff into highlight reels to focus on the dungeons, which are the actual meat and potatoes of MQ.

Right. Probably best viewed as a supplemental to one of the previously mentioned OoT LPs. Also a good time to point out that Master Quest just hit the LP Archive too.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Anyone know of a good off-site LP for Diluvion? I'm fairly sure it hasn't been attempted here, which is understandable given the awful controls and general jank of the game, but maybe some masochist from the outside?
(Alternatively, getting a Diluvion LP would be really rad.)

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 21:16 on May 14, 2023

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

anilEhilated posted:

Anyone know of a good off-site LP for Diluvion? I'm fairly sure it hasn't been attempted here, which is understandable given the awful controls and general jank of the game, but maybe some masochist from the outside?
(Alternatively, getting a Diluvion LP would be really rad.)

Bear in mind that there's Diluvion and Resubmerged, the patch/relaunch thing for it. I don't know of any for Resubmerged, and while I've beaten the game it took using a hex editor to fix a game breaking bug that's been known for years. So, uh, good luck!

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I know. I thought Resubmerged fixed that one, though. It's a game I keep constantly trying to get into and bouncing back off because bloody hell the controls are awful but it's an overambitious, beautiful mess.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

anilEhilated posted:

Yeah, I know. I thought Resubmerged fixed that one, though. It's a game I keep constantly trying to get into and bouncing back off because bloody hell the controls are awful but it's an overambitious, beautiful mess.

Nope. I have Resubmerged. Agreed that it's a beautiful, ambitious mess that just plain isn't finished. I have very mixed feelings about it.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I'd like to request an informative LP of Stranger Of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origins. I don't think it will really lend itself to any format other than a VLP, which is probably for the best.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Underneath he has a velvet, yummy tummy you wish you could just stroke and squish all day! Ahh! But on top... On top it's a whole different story... On top he is a scary stiff stabber!
This may be a long shot but I'd like to see SSLP's of MegaTraveller 1: The Zhodani Conspiracy and MegaTraveller 2: Quest for the Ancients.

Mehsticles
Jul 2, 2012
I really enjoyed the Highfleet let's play by Phrosphor here, does anyone have either any more Highfleet let's play to recommend or, anything similar to Highfleet in terms of tactics /ambiance?

Thanks!

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Mehsticles posted:

I really enjoyed the Highfleet let's play by Phrosphor here, does anyone have either any more Highfleet let's play to recommend or, anything similar to Highfleet in terms of tactics /ambiance?

Thanks!

He's actually started a new one with extremely modded, extremely unpleasant hostile designs:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLRY6EVZy1IhoA9gg2LJVHtAYExQs2iyvY

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
It'd be a bit of a logistical nightmare (which is likely why it hasn't been done yet), but I'd love to see someone LP Infinite Space for the DS. Of all the games made during that Sega-Platinum deal way back when the studio first started up, Infinite Space seems to have been the most overlooked, which is a shame because, while it's kinda janky, it really captures a certain very specific feeling of playing through one of those really complicated space opera anime with way too many characters.

Also, for a recommendation, I noticed that Jerusalem's LP, Medieval II: Total War: A Scotsman in Egypt doesn't seem to have made the list, despite being a strong contender for the best-written narrative LP of all time. If nothing else, it's the only time a Let's Play has actually made me tear up a little.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

EclecticTastes posted:

It'd be a bit of a logistical nightmare (which is likely why it hasn't been done yet), but I'd love to see someone LP Infinite Space for the DS. Of all the games made during that Sega-Platinum deal way back when the studio first started up, Infinite Space seems to have been the most overlooked, which is a shame because, while it's kinda janky, it really captures a certain very specific feeling of playing through one of those really complicated space opera anime with way too many characters.

Well, it hasn't been *finished*. Someone did start an Infinite Space LP years back, got like, halfway through and then as far as I know evaporated into the ether.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Are there any good recent Dominions LPs? Last one I read was the clown one.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
I'm gonna do one for the next game where my start isn't stillborn. I was gonna LP the previous game I got started, but the excitement of failing to take my second province for ten turns due to insanely cursed indie generation, made it clearly somewhat unexciting.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

algebra testes posted:

Are there any good recent Dominions LPs? Last one I read was the clown one.

Mu does video ones on his channel: https://www.youtube.com/@itsmu

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

EclecticTastes posted:

I've wanted to do this one for a while, but the idea of transcribing all those words makes me nope right out. I've tried to find a script dump, or even OCR that will read the screenshots, but no luck yet.

Someone hack me out the game text and I'll do it.

Mindopali
Jun 7, 2023
Just wanted to chime in for a second. I've been reading on the let's play archive for years, and I've been having a blast. It just felt right to buy an account here to thank the many people who made my days more interesting and got me subjects to think about.

Without further ado, I'll start with Neverwinter nights 2: mask of the betrayer by Lt.Danger. This on is almost a study subject, as Lt.Danger did both an LP for the base game and the expansion. The base game is almost everything I'm not fond of in fantasy. It doesn't feel too inspired, the plot is kinda common... what makes it great is that the expansion, mask of the betrayer, is virtually everything I like about a fantasy setting. The plot is extremely personal, the characters are all intertwined symbolically and are just interesting to converse with, and the author makes a great job at explaining in depth both the game mechanics and the scenario itself, drawing many parallels with know stories from centuries past and giving a lot to ponder.

Probably the first LP I read, as it was recommended in some dark corner of the internet, but the knight of the old republic 2 LP by Scorchy made me rediscover an old game I had played, and helped me see a lot of the stuff I missed. Also, Kreia has to be one of the greatest characters written in a video game.

Wizardry 4 by CrookedB is an odd case. It's a very old game, and the writing by then wasn't usually stellar. It's a good example of what can be done both in terms of gameplay and scenario with limited means. To top it off, the endings had a high variety to them and the true ending is more interesting and thought out (to me, at least) than many more modern games.

The blackwell series by cmndstab is just the travels of rosa and her strange friend through strange times. Not the most uncommon plot, but taking the time to explore their struggles and just presenting them as so human over the course of five short games made me love them.

I guess I have to thank Mega64 too, for the Final Fantasy 9 playthrough, although it's a tad more personal. My brother used to play the game, and I watched him. We never got to finish it, but I finally got to read the end. It's one of the few final fantasy I haven't played, but maybe due to nostalgia, it's my favorite one. Something about the story just rings passion and love from the developpers, it's the sort that makes my eyes shine when the story is over.

I don't know who the authors are or where they are now, or if they are even still on the forum, but I hope they are doing great and I hope they know they made many people's days better with their work.

And have a great day, folks.

Mindopali fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jun 7, 2023

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I've always been curious about Threads of Fate. I feel like the PSX was a good era for RPGs

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I've always been curious about Threads of Fate. I feel like the PSX was a good era for RPGs

Oh my God, I just watched PMCTrilogy play through the Mint campaign in Threads of Fate. Absolutely some of the best writing in a jRPG ever.

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Never played that one before, but I might be interested in taking it on once I wrap Guild of Dungeoneering, unless someone else picks it up first. Dunno if you're looking for someone that knows what they're doing.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Threads of Fate absolutely rules.

Its one of my best retro purchases, because I got an excellent condition copy with the case and booklet for 40 bucks, in a world where every retro game seller wants triple digits for a disc only copy of a game.

And yes Mint is the best character.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

Any good, short VLPs you fine folks can recommend me? I'll be stuck travelling in a bus in the next few days, and I'll be needing some entertainment. I don't have any particular requirements other than it should be around 5 to 10 hours long. Thanks!

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I finally need to watch a LP of FF9 and learn why people love this. Reqs?

edit: Ideally a pair or trio of commentators

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015
Either request or recommendation: Sword of the stars 1 - "I know what I'm doing, let me explain" Zuul play-though (that would be informative, I guess?)

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015

Zyxyz posted:

I remember enjoying what I played of the Wii's own bargain-bin Tales lookalike Arc Rise Fantasia back in the day but never quite finished it, would be neat to see what I missed via an LP!

:yossame:

That said, I also wouldn't mind an LP of the first Star Ocean, or Star Ocean 3.

Edited to make my requests stand out more.

Gilgamesh255 fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jun 18, 2023

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
Since it's been out for a while I'd like to put up a request for Terra Invicta.

Yes, I know the game is still in "early access" but they're selling the game and it seems almost complete so I think it counts.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

inscrutable horse posted:

Any good, short VLPs you fine folks can recommend me? I'll be stuck travelling in a bus in the next few days, and I'll be needing some entertainment. I don't have any particular requirements other than it should be around 5 to 10 hours long. Thanks!

Back from my travels, and should anyone happen to find themselves in the same situation, I found Blackstone Chronicles and Contradiction to be great for a 10 hour journey away and back. Episodes aren't too many or long, styles are sufficiently different, and both are entertaining. Top marks from me!

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I'd like to see an LP of Hero Must Die. Again, a JRPG with an interesting concept.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
I was just recently reminded that this game existed, and I definitely would love to see an LP of City Shrouded in Shadow, which is basically a Disaster Report game, except the disasters are Godzilla, Ultraman, Gamera, Evangelion, and Mobile Police Patlabor. The main issue is its Japan-only status, so it kinda hinges on someone being willing to do the "basically translate and subtitle the game on top of LPing it" thing, which, granted, has happened a number of times in the past, but it's always a big reason some titles take a while to show up here.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Gilgamesh255 posted:

:yossame:

That said, I also wouldn't mind an LP of the first Star Ocean, or Star Ocean 3.

Edited to make my requests stand out more.

there was an excellent SSLP of Star Ocean III a couple years ago... trying to remember who by...

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Sally posted:

there was an excellent SSLP of Star Ocean III a couple years ago... trying to remember who by...

Shugojin's is the only completed one on the archive.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

yessssssss. this is the one. as someone who put a 100 hours into that braindead game it taught me to hate it all over again. 10/10 would recommend. fantastic LP experience.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Sally posted:

yessssssss. this is the one. as someone who put a 100 hours into that braindead game it taught me to hate it all over again. 10/10 would recommend. fantastic LP experience.

Wow, I only needed one run through the game to come to absolutely hate it.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
those 100 hours WERE a single run through! it's a long-rear end game!

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I actually beat the stupid sphere bonus dungeon and I feel like I'm entitled to compensation for something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

inscrutable horse posted:

Back from my travels, and should anyone happen to find themselves in the same situation, I found Blackstone Chronicles and Contradiction to be great for a 10 hour journey away and back. Episodes aren't too many or long, styles are sufficiently different, and both are entertaining. Top marks from me!

watching these, thank you