Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Soul Dentist posted:

She had a visceral dislike of both Janeway and Paris, so eh. She loves the character of Picard, so she's excited for it no matter what, and I'm excited for SNW after. I'm watching Enterprise for the first time with her and was also impressed with the repair station episode

Having watched it this last month, you’re supposed to dislike Paris in the first five minutes is the thing. Like he’s got the literal central character arc Caretaker is built around, culminating in him actually showing some well, care, by going back for Chakotay in the staircase out.

e: and Janeway also comes off a bit weird until you get that scene where she promises Tuvok she WILL get him home.

If I watched the first five minutes of TNG I’d be pretty put off by some of the characterization too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Arivia posted:

Having watched it this last month, you’re supposed to dislike Paris in the first five minutes is the thing. Like he’s got the literal central character arc Caretaker is built around, culminating in him actually showing some well, care, by going back for Chakotay in the staircase out.

e: and Janeway also comes off a bit weird until you get that scene where she promises Tuvok she WILL get him home.

If I watched the first five minutes of TNG I’d be pretty put off by some of the characterization too.

the first 5 minutes of TNG is basically picard talking about what an incredible machine this new enterprise is

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Y'all can definitely quit trying to defend Voyager, of all things. I married my wife for many reasons but her taste and judgement are foremost.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Voyager isn’t a work of art and is frequently outright bad, but it’s still sorta cozy.

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Tom Paris is to hot-shot cool guys what Worf is to a Klingon.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Soul Dentist posted:

Y'all can definitely quit trying to defend Voyager, of all things. I married my wife for many reasons but her taste and judgement are foremost.

Did she at least see Neelix

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Nice Tuckpointing! posted:

Tom Paris is to hot-shot cool guys what Worf is to a Klingon.

yeah this adds up

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

davidspackage posted:

I never hated Neelix, he had some great moments as a realist like commandeering Janeway's private dining room and turning it into a galley - if he hadn't done that then the crew would have run out of energy wasting it on replicators by the end of season 2. His relationship with the woman who aged 30 years despite only being 2 (her species has a very low lifespan so 2 is basically an adult) was weird, but that and his intro was where he was at his worst iirc. Also the scene where he teaches 7 of 9 how to eat had the great bit where she accidentally upsets him by describing the assimilation of his people, and instead of holding it against her he recognises that she wasn't trying to be mean and brushes it off with (paraphrased) "Your people's strong musculature and stout frames made them excellent drones." "Oh, ok. Lucky for you I guess. I'm glad we could help"

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jun 10, 2023

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

davidspackage posted:

She did not. How about I show her Tuvix along with Threshold and the evil clown one and we call it good

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

at least treat her to scorpion while youre at it. then you can move on for sure though

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

show her the one where janeway deletes the wife

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

HD DAD posted:

Picard makes Nemesis look like a drat good time.

Ehhh, I'd still rather sit through any episode of Season 1 again before Nemesis.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

holefoods posted:

show her the one where janeway deletes the wife

Fair Haven/Spirit Folk has got to be the worst related pair of eps in VOY, if not the whole franchise.

Needless to say, they are essential viewing.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
I never really thought about a hate watch but now I may be into it. I'll add these to the potential list..

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Railing Kill posted:

Fair Haven/Spirit Folk has got to be the worst related pair of eps in VOY, if not the whole franchise.

If Retrospect didn't exist then Fair Haven would probably be the worst episode

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

Railing Kill posted:

honestly everything related to them trying to get the voyager crew to have a thing in the holodeck is horrible

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

holefoods posted:

honestly everything related to them trying to get the voyager crew to have a thing in the holodeck is horrible

The Beowulf episode was great though?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

HD DAD posted:

Picard makes Nemesis look like a drat good time.

Remember when the lamest thing Picard was in was a dopey movie about clones and dune buggies? What quaint and innocent times those were....

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
I always forget about the part of Nemesis where they fly the tiny fighter ship through the bad guy ship's corridors.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Eimi posted:

The Beowulf episode was great though?

It's a shame that they went with Offensive Irish Village instead of Skyrim for the ship's official larp.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Huh, when Kirk gets on the turbolift in TMP and does that little circle-around, I never realised he was looking for the handles. I always thought he was just taking in all the new. Neat!

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
It's always fun when your watching a clip from something you havent' seen in years and notice an actor you didn't know at the time. I just noticed that Neal McDonough was in Star Trek: First Contact in a small speaking role.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

disaster pastor posted:

I'll admit to disliking Enterprise more than most of the thread does, but setting that aside, it has way bigger sins than "let's redo a Voyager episode but make it boring!" (Which I agree is also a problem.) "Dear Doctor" and "A Night in Sickbay" just for starters.

I really like the slice-of-life stuff in Dear Doctor, and Phlox's joyful outsider perspective on humanity, that's really good stuff.

Just a shame about everything else in that loving episode.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Ah, 'Dear Doctor'. The episode that permanently damages Phlox by making him culpable for an entirely avoidable genocide because he takes an instant dislike to one race of aliens, and permanently damages Archer by making him too gutless to overrule Phlox because the writers wanted to make a ham-fisted point about the (absence of the) Prime Directive. The cure was right there! Archer could have sent it to the aliens at any time! But no, Mengele thinks that the other group of aliens might evolve into the planet's dominant species at some point if the first group aren't in the way, so they have to die horribly from an easily curable disease to prove him right.

One of those real "what the gently caress, writers?" stories almost every Trek series drops in eventually. (So far LD and PRO have avoided it, but there's still time...)

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

FlamingLiberal posted:

If Retrospect didn't exist then Fair Haven would probably be the worst episode

Oh yeah, 100%. What gets me about Fair Haven, and especially Spirit Folk, is that there's potential in the premise of the episode. In Spirit Folk, the holographic people begin to think the flesh and blood people are Fae, taking them away to some incomprehensible, alien place which is exactly what they are doing. That's a cool parallel! But the episode does next to nothing with it. It seems like the kind of idea one writer had but it got squashed and mutilated in the writing-by-committee that VOY did so often.

holefoods posted:

"Bride of Chaotica!" is great if you read it as Janeway commiserating with the holographic supervillain about how both of them are surrounded by incompetent minions. :allears:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Overall the best holodeck gimmick IIRC was Vic Fontaine in DS9, particularly in the episode with the Jack-in-a-box that the programmer stuck in so that the world wouldn't get boring. The whole episode is just the entire senior staff of the station getting really invested in a video-game plot twist and discussing how to defeat the final boss while Sisko's just like "WHY is everyone discussing a videogame during work hours? We're literally in the middle of a war right now!" Also in Paper Moon where he has his own arc due to having to be Nog's crutch and running for so long he gets to experience all the parts of his life that were only implied before. For the first time he's not just active as a lounge singer, he has an actual sleep schedule, and hobbies, and can live a life rather than following a programmed work schedule.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Jun 11, 2023

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

BioEnchanted posted:

It's always fun when your watching a clip from something you havent' seen in years and notice an actor you didn't know at the time. I just noticed that Neal McDonough was in Star Trek: First Contact in a small speaking role.

It also has Adam Scott at the helm of the Defiant

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

BioEnchanted posted:

If I recall right, his character was gay!*

*not mentioned in movie

Enjoy your representation, gay ppl

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

davidspackage posted:

*not mentioned in movie

IIRC his character's name was Lt. Hawk. Not the sort of name you should have wasted on a redshirt.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

davidspackage posted:

*not mentioned in movie

There were rumours that he was going to be but that that was cut from the film, but honestly don't think they were real.

They did make him gay in the EU novels though.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

MikeJF posted:

There were rumours that he was going to be but that that was cut from the film, but honestly don't think they were real.

There was never any draft of First Contact that explicitly said Hawk was gay.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

I need a Star Trek version of Pop-Up Video that displays and debunks common fanon misperceptions as the episodes play

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
*boop* "The computer obviously didn't actually delete that entire recording, because we just watched it!"

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Delsaber posted:

I need a Star Trek version of Pop-Up Video that displays and debunks common fanon misperceptions as the episodes play

Let's watch Pop-Up Balance of Terror!

*pop* Lt. Stiles does not become the swagger-stick-bearing first captain of the Excelsior -- that's Styles, a completely different person.

*pop* Despite Scotty saying this one Bird of Prey's "power is simple impulse", that doesn't mean the Romulans don't have warp drive at all. (Or even that this ship doesn't -- he was talking about its available power levels for a battle scenario, after all, not its cruising speed. Besides, it has loving warp nacelles.)

*pop* Here the phasers look and act more like photon torpedoes than the beam weapons they usually are. ...Yeah, we don't know either. Just go with it.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Delsaber posted:

This is basically Mike Okuda's text commentary on the DVDs of the TOS movies.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Powered Descent posted:

*pop* Here the phasers look and act more like photon torpedoes than the beam weapons they usually are. ...Yeah, we don't know either. Just go with it.

Photon torpedoes weren't yet conceived by the writers by the time Balance of Terror was produced and even the April 17th 1967 revision of the writer's guide doesn't mention them (but does mention the "depth charge" mode the phasers can be set to):

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I really like the slice-of-life stuff in Dear Doctor, and Phlox's joyful outsider perspective on humanity, that's really good stuff.

Just a shame about everything else in that loving episode.

The best Phlox episode is Doctor's Orders, in which his T'Pol hallucination is so convincing the audience almost doesn't realize what's going on.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

BioEnchanted posted:

It was so weird going back and seeing him without the bleach blond hair after like a decade of him playing Damien Dahrk in the Arrowverse.

First Contact is so good at weaving Hawk into the story in minor ways that you think he's going to become a new mainstay on the Enterprise-E because he's young, good looking, and competent. And then he just gets owned halfway through the movie and its hilarious.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

nine-gear crow posted:

It was so weird going back and seeing him without the bleach blond hair after like a decade of him playing Damien Dahrk in the Arrowverse.

First Contact is so good at weaving Hawk into the story in minor ways that you think he's going to become a new mainstay on the Enterprise-E because he's young, good looking, and competent. And then he just gets owned halfway through the movie and its hilarious.

i always figured it was a garrovick kind of situation where the story semi-intensely focuses on one character we never see again just for narrative convenience. i guess that ended up being true but for a different reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Beeftweeter posted:

i always figured it was a garrovick kind of situation where the story semi-intensely focuses on one character we never see again just for narrative convenience. i guess that ended up being true but for a different reason
Well, we at least hear from Garrovick again, eventually... :haw: