Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

naem posted:

both worst and the best fight scene ever put to film

I...wow. I never knew.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

naem posted:

both worst and the best fight scene ever put to film

This episode obviously rules, I really appreciate YouTube telling me that this fight scene of a lumbering rubber suited man occasionally trying to swing at Captain Bronzer might be age inappropriate though.

In all seriousness it’s a top five TOS episode even if the fistfight part is upper echelon stupid

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Maybe the SNW crew will figure out Gorn are vulnerable to having their ears boxed.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it sucks that snw gets the gorn so incredibly wrong when they get so many other things right.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I didn't need the Gorn to be lumbering rubbermen but I also didn't need them to be predator/xenomorph hybrids.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I didn't need the Gorn to be lumbering rubbermen but I also didn't need them to be predator/xenomorph hybrids.

TOS Gorn are actually just xenomorph Gorn inside a rubber suit.

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

I could be wrong but aren't the SNW xenomorph Gorn supposed to be babies? I thought the adults were old TOS lumberes. Watched that episode while building an Ikea cabinet so happy to be corrected.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Olewithmilk posted:

I could be wrong but aren't the SNW xenomorph Gorn supposed to be babies? I thought the adults were old TOS lumberes. Watched that episode while building an Ikea cabinet so happy to be corrected.

They're xenomorph style because adult gorn lay their eggs in living humanoids.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Olewithmilk posted:

You're correct that the only ones we see are the newborn ones. Who knows if they are going to stick to the more upright humanoid version when the adults show up.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
daggummit everything's gorn wrong again

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

FlamingLiberal posted:

You're correct that the only ones we see are the newborn ones. Who knows if they are going to stick to the more upright humanoid version when the adults show up.

The SNW Gorn looked more in line with the ENT Gorn seen in the Mirror Universe episodes. Those ones also leaned a little more towards reptilian rather than upright humanoid too.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

hosed up that the orphan jem hadar episode ends with Odo going "oh yeah you were right, the boy's a killing machine from birth, i guess we cant be more than what we were designed to be"

Like for a series of show's that's mostly about rising above what our instinct tells us and being the best person you can be, it's a loving jarring ending that nobody claps Odo on the back and says that regardless of how everything turned out, he did the right thing.

Odo also has gone up in my books quite a bit character-wise for his actions here.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Like I know it's trying to make a punchy story point about the Dominion but come onnn, at least have one line vindicating Odo for his actions

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Hollismason posted:

I loving love Odo's log entry "Everything under control. End Log". loving baller move. I'm on my DS9 rewatch.

I didn't think of it until now, but this coincides with the ep where Eddington is introduced and Sisko points out it has been a long time coming because Odo only files reports when he feels like it and that they're irregular or something.

alexandriao posted:

hosed up that the orphan jem hadar episode ends with Odo going "oh yeah you were right, the boy's a killing machine from birth, i guess we cant be more than what we were designed to be"

Like for a series of show's that's mostly about rising above what our instinct tells us and being the best person you can be, it's a loving jarring ending that nobody claps Odo on the back and says that regardless of how everything turned out, he did the right thing.

Odo also has gone up in my books quite a bit character-wise for his actions here.

And this also coincides with the ep where they meet the Jem Hadar guy who is immune to the white and is holding Bashir and O'Brien hostage to find a cure for his cracked out platoon.

Now those are what you call "arches." What a show.

red rover red rover
Jun 7, 2002
I have to bring up that og gorn fight again, just for the incredible zoom on Kirk's face, like dude realized halfway in it wasn't going to center correctly and had to make a quick left

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

I dunno, I kinda like what SNW has done with the Gorn. An intelligent, technologically capable species that feels genuinely alien.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Nice Tuckpointing! posted:

I dunno, I kinda like what SNW has done with the Gorn. An intelligent, technologically capable species that feels genuinely alien.

Not really, they made them genuine Alien with chestbursters.

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

A baby Gorn's gotta eat man.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Actually there's any number of species it could eat

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

alexandriao posted:

Odo is a cop. "Some people are just born to crime" is about the least surprising take possible.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

alexandriao posted:

DS9 is a good show, but it doesn't have the same ethical heart that TNG does. It's not just that DS9 is meant to be edgier (and literally on the edge of the federation), but the show is different ideologically.

I don't know if it is the writers, showrunners like Ira Stephen Behr, a lack of adherence to "the Gene vision", if American society hit some turning point in the mid 90s, or if DS9 just mirrors the rise in global conflicts during that time. There's some garbage takes in DS9 that the worst star trek fans just absolutely love though.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

CainFortea posted:

Odo is a cop. "Some people are just born to crime" is about the least surprising take possible.

No but that's my point, you have it backwards. Of ALL of the people to deal with that young Jem Hadar, Odo displayed the most Starfleet.

Of all the people on the station, Odo was the only person NOT saying "some people are born to crime", with everyone else disagreeing on some level or another, and at the end the last line of the episode he's like "well i guess you were all right, sorry to bother u all".

like wtf

thotsky posted:

DS9 is a good show, but it doesn't have the same ethical heart that TNG does. It's not just that DS9 is meant to be edgier (and literally on the edge of the federation), but the show is different ideologically.

I don't know if it is the writers, showrunners like Ira Stephen Behr, a lack of adherence to "the Gene vision", if American society hit some turning point in the mid 90s, or if DS9 just mirrors the rise in global conflicts during that time. There's some garbage takes in DS9 that the worst star trek fans just absolutely love though.

Yeah, it's why I maintain that DS9 was the direct link between the more lovely examples of nutrek, and old Trek.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
ds9 is really good for the most part but hacks love to draw the worst possible ideas from it.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It's amazing how many people seem to miss the whole 'Section 31 are obviously evil' that the show slapped you in the face with.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Jun 12, 2023

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

DS9: Section 31 is outright evil and possibly doesn't exist outside of one delusional man.
Discovery: We're Section 31, we're the good guys!

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
poo poo, most american tv writers can't even figure out that the cia is obviously evil.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

CainFortea posted:

They're xenomorph style because adult gorn lay their eggs in living humanoids.
Please, Ixtl-style. (Looking up the name, I saw that the lawsuit between A E van Vogt and Fox was settled out of court and the details never revealed, lol. I suspect van Vogt may have received a few dollars.)

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

TOS Gorn are actually just xenomorph Gorn inside a rubber suit.
You laugh, but that's basically what Doctor Who did with the Ice Warriors. Original DW: Ice Warriors are big lumbering reptilian humanoids wearing armour. Modern DW: Ice Warriors are lithe, fast-moving CGI not-xenomorphs wearing the big lumbering humanoid bodies as armour.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Eighties ZomCom posted:

DS9: Section 31 is outright evil and possibly doesn't exist outside of one delusional man.

Even then, the minimal presence of one man getting anywhere he pleases is a much more impressive projection of power and influence then "We have our own cool fleet of super-advanced ships :geno:".

What a Section 31 presence in Disco should've looked like is a single consistent agent leaning on someone, let's say Tilly, to get the ship going where they wanted it to be.

naem
May 29, 2011

DS9 was amazing to me because it took the existing utopia vision of TNG, which is rare and precious and one of the only presentations of a best case scenario society for human beings and the future, and looked at it from the outside a bit.

the culture series books has another utopian post scarcity society, but almost all the stories take place outside of or in the edge of the utopia proper for a reason: there wouldn’t be as much story to tell.

it is a big risk though because it’s easy for viewers of an imperfect situation like on DS9 to get caught up in the edginess and miss the goal of progress

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Eighties ZomCom posted:

Well I mean they are clearly the bad guys in discovery

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Well I mean they are clearly the bad guys in discovery

Ash Tyler née Voq literally says that they're the good guys while working with Terran Cannibal Empress

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
they were likely supposed to be the good guys but as always, the entire nepotism katamari writer's room was completely incompetent.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Even though that's China Beach, it just clicked in my head that the best portrayal of Section 31 is actually Lt. Colonel Flagg on MASH.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

China Beach? From the Jenny Nicholson vampire video?

He’s my brother! In Iowa he’s your brother …

.. here he’s just another spent shell

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Mulaney Power Move posted:

I didn't think of it until now, but this coincides with the ep where Eddington is introduced and Sisko points out it has been a long time coming because Odo only files reports when he feels like it and that they're irregular or something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKIBDNunk78

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Eighties ZomCom posted:

Ash Tyler née Voq literally says that they're the good guys while working with Terran Cannibal Empress

Was she a cannibal in the show? Somehow disco continues to dissapoint.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
Part of me hopes this is an offshoot Gorn culture and we still get the big lizard people. The SNW people have to know about how Star Trek Online portrays them. But I can settle for them being ultra scary threats if it means some variety.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

alexandriao posted:

Yeah, it's why I maintain that DS9 was the direct link between the more lovely examples of nutrek, and old Trek.

Most of the time when DS9 is showing the federation doing lovely things there's an underlying "This is bad and wrong" message about it.

Most of the time when NuTrek* shows the Federation doing lovely things it's actually cool and good.

I guess there is a link of the Feds doing lovely things, but goddamn does NuTrek completely miss the point as to why DS9 was doing it.

*NuTrek being Picard and Disco. Prodigy, LD, and SNW all appear to be just Trek.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

CainFortea posted:

Was she a cannibal in the show? Somehow disco continues to dissapoint.

She eats Kelpians. That's a different species so it depends on if your definition of person being a cannibal is "eats people" or "eats the same species".

E: I assume Terrans don't consider non-terrans to be people at all, so she probably wouldn't consider herself a cannibal.