Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verant
Oct 20, 2012

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay.
-->Eh.
heaven help me i spent too long on this after the idea popped into my head, spoilers for the ending of Ruina:

The worst thing is now I gotta hold onto this until the end of the LP, oh wellll

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!
Amazing.

DuoRogue
Jul 19, 2022

My secret? I don't have any bones.

Verant posted:

heaven help me i spent too long on this after the idea popped into my head, spoilers for the ending of Ruina:

The worst thing is now I gotta hold onto this until the end of the LP, oh wellll

oh, now this is beautiful

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Google Jeb Bush posted:

It's an AOE thing that isn't much more expensive than bodysack and uses the same main color. I don't think I've ever bothered reading the other text, I'll just whack the button if there are enough targets to justify it and call it a day.

still gonna say though, wish we had any way whatsoever to tell what post-EGO-use passives are active on any given character

it's also pierce which really helps soften up those Big Boys

it would probably be better if he ever rolled heads on damage but my Sinners love loving up their damage rolls more than anything else, especially with EGO

Verant posted:

finally, some REAL social commentary

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Finally caught up on story chapters; boss was visually cool but mechanically disappointing after seeing so much chatter in here about it being challenging. Did everyone remember to level to 35? It was just another win rate + sometimes EGO affair.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Irony.or.Death posted:

Finally caught up on story chapters; boss was visually cool but mechanically disappointing after seeing so much chatter in here about it being challenging. Did everyone remember to level to 35? It was just another win rate + sometimes EGO affair.

if you're boring, sure

e: though serious answer it seems to be down to team composition, some just roll over the boss and some seem to get blown the gently caress up

dunno why you're winrating against a boss but gonna guess you had some luck

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jun 11, 2023

Onehandclapping
Oct 21, 2010
Yeah, the boss took me two tries and some rereading to get down, because a couple of their skill interactions spell teamwipe if you're not careful. You could take it down in one try with blind luck and a super straightforward approach, because the mechanics of the fight snowball quickly but require you to lose clashes to see them.

It's a very cool, very interesting fight, but if you're lucky and the boss is not you can definitely cruise control through it.

If and when they beef her stats in the railway, it's going to be a ridiculous fight.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
i saw a phrase that is going to stick with me: "some characters haunt their narratives after their deaths, Carmen is straight up poltergeisting hers"

L.U.I.G.I
Apr 19, 2023

i cant believe i was the useless piece of shit who managed to rig all the Library of Ruina LP thread polls and all i got was this account and shitty avatar.

pls say hi and heckle me

Verant posted:

Speaking of the Head, can we talk about the similarities with the Birds? Claw is Punishing, Big Eye is Beholder and Punishing is Arbiter? Anyone?

Junpei posted:

i saw a phrase that is going to stick with me: "some characters haunt their narratives after their deaths, Carmen is straight up poltergeisting hers"

Yeah, she's going to be relevant for a long while, especially considering the whole Light buissness but hey, that make for nice content! Although it's kinda horrible from a meta point of view but that's a different subject.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Yinlock posted:

it's also pierce which really helps soften up those Big Boys

it would probably be better if he ever rolled heads on damage but my Sinners love loving up their damage rolls more than anything else, especially with EGO

finally, some REAL social commentary

You'll find the issue with telepole Heathcliff, and a bunch of other EGO beside is the fact that they only roll heads at high sanity. A lot of EGO have minus coin power when rolling heads and Telepole Heathcliff is one.

RandomReader
Nov 17, 2021

L.U.I.G.I posted:

Speaking of the Head, can we talk about the similarities with the Birds? Claw is Punishing, Big Eye is Beholder and Punishing is Arbiter? Anyone?
No duh Arbiters track to Judgement Bird, Beholders to Big Bird, and Claws to Punishing Bird, and the trio becoming the Head/Apocalypse Bird, that hardly even counts as subtext. The only thing to discuss about them is on the birb trio's journey from normal birds to prophecy of doom to extreme measures defending the forest to becoming the prophesied doom, while we know what the prophecy was and the fears that drove them to eventually merge together as Apocalypse bird, we don't know what drove the Head's current anti-nonhuman, pro-suffering attitude.

RandomReader
Nov 17, 2021

Double posting, but news on target Extraction.

https://twitter.com/LimbusCompany_B/status/1667863505251495936

Sloshing Ishmael with guest appearances by Talisman Sinclair and Rodion, Full Bloom E.G.O.::Spicebush-Yi Sang (that's a funny name), and it looks like we're finally throwing down with the roid soldiers next chapter.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

look ill be pulling for her to be clear but 'this game isnt horny' and 'heres ishmael covered in slime' makes for very funny contrast

RandomReader
Nov 17, 2021

Endorph posted:

look ill be pulling for her to be clear but 'this game isnt horny' and 'heres ishmael covered in slime' makes for very funny contrast
Ishmael wears a slimy, goopy fatsuit ID, and has an E.G.O. that ties her up and gives her gently caress me eyes. Never would have expected Ishmael would take the lead as female fetish bait sinner.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

I know that ultimately Seasonal IDs are generally meant to represent enemy characters/NPC from the chapter, but I still find it weird that in an alternate world Yi Sang awakens to the same E.G.O as Dongbaek. Like, you know, collective unconcious, same ideas spawwning similar stuff but usually E.G.O. that manifest outside of abnormalities are usually personal.

Although his lines sound different so it could be the same E.G.O. but different meaning about it.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
It's also a bit odd that in said different world the role of Dongbaek is being split between two different people.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

I know that ultimately Seasonal IDs are generally meant to represent enemy characters/NPC from the chapter, but I still find it weird that in an alternate world Yi Sang awakens to the same E.G.O as Dongbaek. Like, you know, collective unconcious, same ideas spawwning similar stuff but usually E.G.O. that manifest outside of abnormalities are usually personal.

Although his lines sound different so it could be the same E.G.O. but different meaning about it.
It might be possible to extract E.G.O from a human, just like you can extract it from an Abnormality...

RandomReader
Nov 17, 2021

The Limbus IDs have been lightly alt universe stuff, the deviations needed for the base Sinner to have ended up emulating the ID aren't too crazy for the most part, but remember the alts Garnet had in Leviathan, they don't make any sense. The convoluted world altering events needed for Garnet to end up as Yujin, Roland, or a normal guy in a normal world and still be Garnet are completely unreasonable, but they still happened in these alt worlds.

KobunFan
Aug 13, 2022

RandomReader posted:

Double posting, but news on target Extraction.

https://twitter.com/LimbusCompany_B/status/1667863505251495936

Sloshing Ishmael with guest appearances by Talisman Sinclair and Rodion, Full Bloom E.G.O.::Spicebush-Yi Sang (that's a funny name), and it looks like we're finally throwing down with the roid soldiers next chapter.

Alright, I'll say it: The Yi-Sang EgoID is both pretty and cool as all get out.

As for Ishmael being the pin up girl... she's got fluffy red hair, freckles, and you can pat her head! What more do you want?

KobunFan fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jun 11, 2023

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

RandomReader posted:

The Limbus IDs have been lightly alt universe stuff, the deviations needed for the base Sinner to have ended up emulating the ID aren't too crazy for the most part, but remember the alts Garnet had in Leviathan, they don't make any sense. The convoluted world altering events needed for Garnet to end up as Yujin, Roland, or a normal guy in a normal world and still be Garnet are completely unreasonable, but they still happened in these alt worlds.

tbf Garnet was refracted a bazillion times so poo poo went completely off the rails for him

e: it also doesn't seem more far-fetched than, say, N Faust

Given the blood on the 2nd portrait, which is a motif that Dongbaek doesn't have, it seems like it's a different meaning

Endorph posted:

....does that do it for you? Not really seeing horny there

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jun 11, 2023

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Lord_Magmar posted:

You'll find the issue with telepole Heathcliff, and a bunch of other EGO beside is the fact that they only roll heads at high sanity. A lot of EGO have minus coin power when rolling heads and Telepole Heathcliff is one.

Oh I didn't know it was a tails EGO, shows how carefully I read things :v:

Well at least he has an excuse unlike Telepole Don "Tails At 45" Quixote

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Yinlock posted:

....does that do it for you? Not really seeing horny there
what if they released the 'ishmael buying wonder bread' ego

RandomReader
Nov 17, 2021

Endorph posted:

Ohio ID.
Floor tile EGO.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Endorph posted:

I'd argue Hong Lu would fit the bill more for that.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Onehandclapping posted:

...because the mechanics of the fight snowball quickly but require you to lose clashes to see them.

It's a very cool, very interesting fight, but if you're lucky and the boss is not you can definitely cruise control through it.

I mean this is the issue I'm talking about, these two lines don't work together. This might just be a personal preference thing, but if "win all the clashes and you're fine" is the strategy, as it is for almost every other piece of content in the game, how can it be an interesting fight? You just take the moves that give you the best odds of winning all the clashes, and there's a one-button approach to that in the interface (which granted isn't perfect, but plenty good for this).

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Irony.or.Death posted:

I mean this is the issue I'm talking about, these two lines don't work together. This might just be a personal preference thing, but if "win all the clashes and you're fine" is the strategy, as it is for almost every other piece of content in the game, how can it be an interesting fight? You just take the moves that give you the best odds of winning all the clashes, and there's a one-button approach to that in the interface (which granted isn't perfect, but plenty good for this).

Win Rate's accuracy doesn't play well in abnormality battles, because it will always assign skills in order from left to right (counting both enemy speed and sinner speed for who is targeted). Abnormality battles are sometimes easier (or possible) if you assign different attacks to different enemies.

Indeed, for Spicebush, I had to manually assign targets every turn.

Onehandclapping
Oct 21, 2010

Irony.or.Death posted:

It's a fundamental problem of any all or nothing system, and the auto-fight button highlights it. For the boss to use, what I consider, its interesting and cool mechanics, it has to win a clash, which in its most basic form is flipping a heads versus you flipping a tails, a 25% chance. This is mitigated only if there's a significant number of relevant coins being flipped, but still leaves a high chance that the mechanics simply do not come in to play. Exacerbating this is that limbus has a bunch of snowball mechanics, making sure the winning side stays winning.

The ideal for the fight is that you are forced to engage with the mechanics, unable to outpower them because the numbers are too high or they're unavoidable, and you have to make lots of loss minimizing decisions while you grind out the bosses HP bar, but the reality is that limbus is a rpg style game and this is content pretty much everyone is required to clear and it can't require optimal stats or play or you put up a huge roadblock to people who haven't been grinding those out. For a player with suboptimal ID's and a non max level team, the ability to reduce the difficulty of the fight just by grinding and getting a bit lucky is a huge boon. The fight is simply not adjusted for a maxed out player, and you can muscle through it because of how the games set up.

The railway will be set up for a more optimized team, and that's where they can set up higher stat fights that enforce tradeoffs for what clashes what, but the story content isn't built around that and as a consequence someone with a strong team can mash the win button until it's done.

Onehandclapping fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jun 11, 2023

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

I have to ask: What team did you take into 4-48? My team (G Gregor, N Don, LCB Sinner Heathcliff, Liu Meursault, Tingtang Hong Lu + LCB Sinner Faust, LCB Sinner Yi Sang) had a modest challenge with the fight, but I don't think I could have won with just pressing Win Rate each turn.

Onehandclapping
Oct 21, 2010
Offhand I think it was Nfaust Nclair RHeath GGreg WDon RoseRodya and Chefryo, all between levels 30-35. It was all grinded out powerful bullshit and the biggest impediment to just hitting the winrate button was that the targeting can be terrible.

I lost the first time because I thought I could AOE clear the trees during the duel phase and didn't target the boss, but outpowering the clashes was barely an issue.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Onehandclapping posted:

It's a fundamental problem of any all or nothing system, and the auto-fight button highlights it. For the boss to use its, what I consider interesting and cool mechanics, it has to win a clash, which in its most basic form is flipping a heads versus you flipping a tails, a 25% chance. This is mitigated only if there's a significant number of relevant coins being flipped, but still leaves a high chance that the mechanics simply do not come in to play. Exacerbating this is that limbus has a bunch of snowball mechanics, making sure the winning side stays winning.

The ideal for the fight is that you are forced to engage with the mechanics, unable to outpower them because the numbers are too high or they're unavoidable, and you have to make lots of loss minimizing decisions while you grind out the bosses HP bar, but the reality is that limbus is a rpg style game and this is content pretty much everyone is required to clear and it can't require optimal stats or play or you put up a huge roadblock to people who haven't been grinding those out. For a player with suboptimal ID's and a non max level team, the ability to reduce the difficulty of the fight just by grinding and getting a bit lucky is a huge boon. The fight is simply not adjusted for a maxed out player, and you can muscle through it because of how the games set up.

The railway will be set up for a more optimized team, and that's where they can set up higher stat fights that enforce tradeoffs for what clashes what, but the story content isn't built around that and as a consequence someone with a strong team can mash the win button until it's done.
You're right, but there's a fair few cards used by 4-48 that apply debuffs on use rather than on hit. You'll be getting stacks of the debuff applied no matter what you do in that fight, which is a good way to keep the fight engaging even when you're winning every clash.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

spoilers for current story

neat

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Endorph posted:

i'm just not seein it, it looks like she walked off the set of a nickelodeon game show

maybe i've been desensitized from decades of internet horrors

lets hang out posted:

spoilers for current story

neat

I wonder if PT got lost in the mirror zone at some point but actually managed to get out which is where her power comes from(like Wayward Passenger,but less fleshmonstery)

that or it's just a fun lore nod

KobunFan
Aug 13, 2022
I thought... goddamit. Samjo, I never thought I'd weep for you. I never thought I could call you innocent in some way. Dongrag, you need to burn in hell.

EDIT: Also, don't see what the big problem with the boss is. My units weren't even close to level 35 but it was still easy enough. Seven Outis, N Mersault, Grippy Faust, Gripped Sinclair, G Gregor, W Don, Chef Ryoshu

I suppose I was lucky that Outis got chosen for the duel but it wouldn't have mattered. Everyone had an EGO waiting in the wings, when they were staggered, I always chose to get rid of the weaker attacks rather than worrying about damage.

KobunFan fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jun 12, 2023

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

KobunFan posted:

I thought... goddamit. Samjo, I never thought I'd weep for you. I never thought I could call you innocent in some way. Dongrag, you need to burn in hell.

EDIT: Also, don't see what the big problem with the boss is. My units weren't even close to level 35 but it was still easy enough. Seven Outis, N Mersault, Grippy Faust, Gripped Sinclair, G Gregor, W Don, Chef Ryoshu

I suppose I was lucky that Outis got chosen for the duel but it wouldn't have mattered. Everyone had an EGO waiting in the wings, when they were staggered, I always chose to get rid of the weaker attacks rather than worrying about damage.

It's never really been "a big problem", it's more some teams just have some trouble with it and it takes a try or two

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
I really hope This Is Literally His Chapter Yi Sang is good, I don't mind just sticking his vanilla ID on the back bench but when Literally Meursalt is more useful on the active team than you there's something wrong.

also regardless of viability i'm going to be using him against the chapter final boss because they're at least tied with kromer for worst rear end in a top hat in limbus so far, so

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
i also hope sloshmael is good or at least sunshower-id-tier situational, of course

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Google Jeb Bush posted:

i also hope sloshmael is good or at least sunshower-id-tier situational, of course

what was their gimmick as an enemy type? besides having huge hp I mean, I didn't really notice much about them besides that. apparently they get sad or something???

the tailsman thing on the other hand looks rad, big unga bunga numbers but if they go too ham they end up debuffing the poo poo out of themselves

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
Sloshy Fairy gimmick is that their moves give them Morale Boost (Damage Up per count every turn), but once they get 5 of that, they will get 5 Tipsy instead (minus Clash Power per count) and need to use their Defensive Move to remove the Tipsy.

Theantero fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jun 13, 2023

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Theantero posted:

Sloshy Fairy gimmick is that their moves give them Morale Boost (Damage Up per count every turn), but once they get 5 of that, they will get 5 Tipsy instead (minus Clash Power per count) and need to use their Defensive Move to remove the Tipsy.

Oh that's actually a fun gimmick

the lobcorp EGOs all seem to have some weird resource balancing act

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Yinlock posted:

the lobcorp EGOs all seem to have some weird resource balancing act

:lobcorp: