Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
Picking Thief of Time when it and Night Watch are the same story split into two distinct parts anyway, is cheating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

up to nightwatch i always thought that the latest one i was his best one yet

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Total Meatlove posted:

Picking Thief of Time when it and Night Watch are the same story split into two distinct parts anyway, is cheating.

I've seen this theory before, but it doesn't seem to have a lot supporting it. In Night Watch we just find out that Vimes got caught up in a big temporal incident, but is there any hint at it in Thief of Time? If they're happening at the same time, then when in Thief of Time would it have happened? Lu-Tze doesn't seem busy with much else at the time, and I thought everything in Thief of Time was resolved in the same instant it broke, so that nobody experiencing time knew anything happened. Could it have been a different temporal incident? Or was this just an idea Terry had after he finished Thief of Time.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

A Moose posted:

I've seen this theory before, but it doesn't seem to have a lot supporting it. In Night Watch we just find out that Vimes got caught up in a big temporal incident, but is there any hint at it in Thief of Time? If they're happening at the same time, then when in Thief of Time would it have happened? Lu-Tze doesn't seem busy with much else at the time, and I thought everything in Thief of Time was resolved in the same instant it broke, so that nobody experiencing time knew anything happened. Could it have been a different temporal incident? Or was this just an idea Terry had after he finished Thief of Time.

I think it's pretty heavily implied that the lightning strike that kicks over the clock is the same strike (or at least the same storm) as the strike the sends Vimes back. Lu-Tze has to go and clean up the loose ends and tie things back together, and decides to do it 'the hard way' and let Vimes play out the Keel role. That's basically the threat he hangs over Vimes: he could just spin the time pieces and balance things out in the big picture, but it would mean changing Vimes' personal history.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

A Moose posted:

Night Watch posted:

They said afterward that the bolt of lightning hit a clockmaker’s shop in the Street of Cunning Artificers, stopping all the clocks at that instant.

The glass clock was in Jeremy's clockmaker shop in the Street of Cunning Artificers. Lu-Tze describes Vimes's situation as getting "caught up in a major event" and that he's helping Vimes despite most of his order having bigger problems right now. It's definitely the same bolt of lightning as in Thief of Time.

It mostly seems like the Lu-Tze that Vimes meets in the past is a post-Thief of Time Lu-Tze, but that doesn't immediately make a whole lot of sense with what is described at the end of Thief of Time. Some of the details are left unexplained, because they're not relevant to Vimes. If we got that story from Lu-Tze's perspective, it'd probably make more sense.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Beefeater1980 posted:

Just thinking again how much I love Djel-I-Bey-Bi (lit: Child of the Djel) as a pun.

Wait, is that actually valid Arabic?!

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Kesper North posted:

Wait, is that actually valid Arabic?!

I'm 9999% sure it is not, admittedly I have not checked. It's just a funny joke

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Beefeater1980 posted:

Just thinking again how much I love Djel-I-Bey-Bi (lit: Child of the Djel) as a pun.

Speaking of pseudo-arabic puns, I've always loved the simple elegance of Terry turning the real-world honorific "effendi" into the Klatchian "offendi".
It so beautifully condenses the notion of "I outwardly pretend to honor you, but really I despise you" into one golden verbal nugget.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
I just re-read Going Postal and was reminded of one of my all time favorite Ridcully quotes:

quote:

Oh yes, please sue the University. We've got ponds full of people who tried to sue the University!

I'm pretty sure Going Postal was the second Discworld book I read, after Color of Magic, using the "whatever my library has on hand" reading order.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Going Postal was my first Discworld and it'll always be my favorite. Just the perfect Discworld novel, where Ankh-Morpork feels its most vivid and alive.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Night Watch is really good but I love Cheery, Sybil and Angua way too much to have my favourite Watch book be the one none of them are in.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Youremother posted:

That's got nothing on Terry on the usenet noting that Hersheba would've worked better on American audiences, and then actually using it later

God drat I only just got that one.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Beefeater1980 posted:

God drat I only just got that one.

New thread title, please.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Youremother posted:

I got my copy of A Life With Footnotes today. Very excited for it to destroy me.

Finally finished this and, man, it's rough. Everything I was expecting and more, really gives you the most clear and vivid image of Terry as a person: acerbic, witty, bull-headed and astonishingly generous. The final chapters were truly worse than I could have imagined and moved me to sincere tears. My grandmother died of an unusual combination of cancers, and seeing her at the end exhausted and catatonic as the disease stole her away piecemeal was brought back most terribly in Terry's struggle. Only a year later my grandfather, already a husk of himself after losing his wife, contracted the exact same cancers and though an experimental treatment greatly improved his standard of life it played tricks with his memories something foul. One of the worst moments of my life was him forgetting my own name and having to be reminded - his thing with all of his grandchildren was to greet them by their full name and shake their hand every time he saw them, and having to remind him of what my name was broke us both inside.

It really gives me a much, much deeper appreciation for Raising Steam, as well as The Shepherd's Crown; Rob is 100% correct in that the marvel is not merely the book's quality, but that they exist at all. It also gave me an appreciation for Rob himself, who through reading this book I can sense his presence in the writing towards the end. It really feels like Terry's autobiography, even though it isn't.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Yeah Rob is actually an excellent writer, and I can kind of feel his own sense of Terry on his shoulder, tsking at certain turns of phrase until he gets it right, if that makes sense. An excellent and very moving piece of work.

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

OK, so we are almost finished with Masquerade and i have Feet of Clay and Jingo on the way . Every time we get a new batch of books i try to make sure they have a note or inscription from a Discworld resident.

What kind of things do you think Granny Weatherwax would say to an 8 year old ? Or perhaps some tips on exploiting the market from CMOT Dibbler?

Ive done Rincewind, Nanny Ogg, The Patrician, Death and The Librarian in the past.

Perhaps something from Twoflower? If you have any insight or something you think i should include id love to see it

Beer_Suitcase fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jun 9, 2023

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
We largely know what Granny Weatherwax would say to an eight year old, she’s mentored two young girls, Eskarina Smith and Tiffany Aching.

It largely sums up to “Just because you can doesn’t mean you should” and “being young is no excuse for acting like you ‘ent got no sense.”

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

thetoughestbean posted:

We largely know what Granny Weatherwax would say to an eight year old, she’s mentored two young girls, Eskarina Smith and Tiffany Aching.

It largely sums up to “Just because you can doesn’t mean you should” and “being young is no excuse for acting like you ‘ent got no sense.”

yeah i really like that i think going to go with something like

"Dear Nova
I know you have been reading and learning things about Discworld, but ive been watching you too! Books 'er magic, well they can be if you want em to be! But, you remember this you lil dancer

Just cuz you can do something, dont mean ya SHOULD!

and you tell Coconut (its her stuffed monkey) that if see em in my garden again im gonna turn him GREEN!

all my love

EW"

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
I have trouble imagining Granny ever signing something "all my love". She's very much of the "good, not nice" school of thought, even when it comes to kids. From Magrat to Agnes to Esk she seems to mainly motivate her mentees to improve via spite.

I do think she would approve of Terry's paraphrasing of GK Chesterton, though:

quote:

“The objection to fairy stories is that they tell children there are dragons. But children have always known there are dragons. Fairy stories tell children that dragons can be killed.”

That's a pretty strong theme that comes up with any kids in his books, and especially the Tiffany Aching series. It's no use telling kids that monsters don't exist; if you really love them, teach them to kill the monsters.

Actually, now that I think about it, Susan is basically "Granny but better at dealing with kids", so you might think about using her, especially if you've already done Hogfather.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
SEE YOU SOON
- DEATH

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

Beer_Suitcase posted:

OK, so we are almost finished with Masquerade and i have Feet of Clay and Jingo on the way . Every time we get a new batch of books i try to make sure they have a note or inscription from a Discworld resident.

What kind of things do you think Granny Weatherwax would say to an 8 year old ? Or perhaps some tips on exploiting the market from CMOT Dibbler?

Ive done Rincewind, Nanny Ogg, The Patrician, Death and The Librarian in the past.

Perhaps something from Twoflower? If you have any insight or something you think i should include id love to see it

for Feet of Clay, if you wanted to be cute, you could hide a little easter egg/ gift in the book itself and have the patrician hint towards its existence in the inscription, that seems fitting given the plot

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

can someone slap that "order to read Discworld in" graphic up for me, just wondering when I've got enough backstory to give Night Watch (my last Watch book) its proper perspective. I've also read most of the Death books by now

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Bilirubin posted:

can someone slap that "order to read Discworld in" graphic up for me, just wondering when I've got enough backstory to give Night Watch (my last Watch book) its proper perspective. I've also read most of the Death books by now

But, of course, you need to start from the start and read them all in publication order :v:

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Bilirubin posted:

i hadn't read the truth before it, so i wondered for a while about the newspapers, but small details like that don't really matter, the book would stand on its own too even if you hadn't read any previous discworld books

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Bilirubin posted:

Whenever you've read the Watch books that come before it. It is a Vimes book before anything else, and the Watch books will give you all the background you need to know to appreciate it.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Perfect thanks, will pack it for my trip next week

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
I started off trying to read by theme the noticed one thing out of chronology then immediately went to publication order. Also picked up Turtle Recall as a resource.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Wait, so Amazing Maurice already came and went in theaters? Somehow I totally missed it. Was it good?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
https://youtu.be/Xgl06nszfSE

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Rand Brittain posted:

Wait, so Amazing Maurice already came and went in theaters? Somehow I totally missed it. Was it good?

I expected to hate it; didn't. I wanted to like it; didn't. It was okay.

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Granny Weatherwax is old and her handwriting is not good.
Dear Nova
I know you have been reading about me
but ive been watching you too!
books are magic ya see!
Nanny Ogg says you were smart but remember this
"just cuz you can dont mean you should!"
and you tell Coconut (its her stuffed monkey) that if see em in my garden again im gonna turn him GREEN!

Stay Sharp

EW"

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Haven't read Men at Arms in a while so I picked it back up.

How did I never notice "A man'd have to be a fool to break into the Assassin's Guild" before?

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer
I've been going through my PTerry shelf in chronological order after finishing the biography, and the little throwaway lines like that are such absolute treasures right from the start. He was a master at the hidden gem along with the in-your -face joke.

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

Arist posted:

How did I never notice "A man'd have to be a fool to break into the Assassin's Guild" before?

Yeah, with a line like that you'd think it's be as obvious as the nose on your face who did it at that point haha

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

Deep in my dreams and I still hear her callin'
If you're alone, I'll come home.

Arist posted:

"The Ramkins were more highly bred than a hilltop bakery, whereas Corporal Nobbs had been disqualified from the human race for shoving."

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
The Nobby thing didn't really land for me at first because I didn't know that "shoving" is an Actual Thing that will get you kicked out of a foot race.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
The latest Legend of Zelda game has a familiar item in it

Not exactly how I imagined them from Jingo.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

DontMockMySmock posted:

:goku:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

A Life in Footnotes is out in paperback, for those who were waiting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

DontMockMySmock posted:

turns out the korok seeds were actually cloves all along