Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

How do you know we're getting wealth levels?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

VostokProgram posted:

How do you know we're getting wealth levels?

It's just an assumption. In the last screenshot there appear to be three different bars for residential demand. That could be low/medium/high density or lower/middle/upper income housing.

The way wealth and density were handled in the first game was a huge flaw and we're just hoping they listened. There appears to be medium density now so that suggests changes were made. Odd that it's only residential, but we're also reading entrails from a single screenshot here.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I really REALLY hope that intersections are less ugly. Frankly that the road tools are less stupid so we don't need 20 different versions of each type of road with all the bus, tram, bikepath, no-parking, etc options.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Some of the layouts there look like roads may be customizable/buildable by lane. I really hope there's a road customizer where you can just lay out any combination of lane types the way you want it. I don't see why that couldn't be done.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The single rail train lines in the lower left are interesting in design. There's a slightly bugged merge on one of them though.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jun 3, 2023

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I don't like seeing noise pollution back. They better have changed that a lot, people being upset because you put a subway station in their neighborhood because it was so loud they literally died was loving stupid as hell. You know what's loud in cities? Cars.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

They should've just renamed noise to 'bad vibes'.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

One of the other things which really sticks out to me from that last screenshot is the scale of the map. It seems huge in comparison to a C:S1 map, like at least 4 times larger. That fits with the possibility that the maps are 22x22 1.9x19km tiles and you're working with the middle 150.

People who want to make completely hand crafted maps are gonna have a real bad time.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Grand Fromage posted:

I don't like seeing noise pollution back. They better have changed that a lot, people being upset because you put a subway station in their neighborhood because it was so loud they literally died was loving stupid as hell. You know what's loud in cities? Cars.

Right? You could put a subway station 10 feet from my front door I'd be alright with it.

hello i am phone
Nov 24, 2005
¿donde estoy?
We have a release date, October 24th
Edit: and theres a new trailer with in game footage.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

hello i am phone posted:

We have a release date, October 24th

I was coming to post this word for word.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZW39Yml3a8

i can't believe how low people's expectations were for this game's ui/ux

it took me a second to wrap my head around this shot since i didn't expect mix used zoning to be in the game, but this seems to be it. and five other levels of density.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jun 11, 2023

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Lot of good stuff in there. I'm glad to see a lot of mod features being incorporated into the game, all that detail with road building is a good sign.

Also there were like six residential zoning types?? I'm intrigued but I couldn't tell what was going on there.

Looks like roads are still set though, no customization.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jun 11, 2023

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Grand Fromage posted:

Lot of good stuff in there. I'm glad to see a lot of mod features being incorporated into the game, all that detail with road building is a good sign.

Also there were like six residential zoning types?? I'm intrigued but I couldn't tell what was going on there.

It looks like it's single family homes, duplexes, single story apartments, medium density residential, and then high density residential with or without commercial ground floors.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

There's some funky looking junctions you wouldn't be able to even approach without a pile of mods and tweaking in CS1, that rail-over-roundabout, and that flyover end junction:

Lots of neat looking bits in there.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
I guess macsergey, who modded in quite a number of the nicer road tools (IMT, NMT, NCR), is doing the lord's work now that he's with Colossal Order.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Just build a grid tool for roadbuilding. :lmao:

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Mixed-use zoning alone will make this game worth it for me, holy poo poo

Also the road building grid thing got a literal :eyepop: out of me

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The ability to draw roads over other roads and have it generate intersections is also nice. A shame they seem to be stuck with the same lot generation though.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Upcoming trailers/dev diary things I guess: https://www.paradoxinteractive.com/games/cities-skylines-ii/features

quote:

2023-06-19 Feature #1: Road Tools Building roads is more flexible than before, helping you realize your vision for the perfect road layout. You will find a variety of new and returning options!

2023-06-26 Feature #2: Traffic AI Managing traffic in a growing city was a core part of Cities: Skylines, and for the sequel we wanted to bring you a more advanced system to make the city feel more realistic and alive.

2023-07-03 Feature #3: Public & Cargo Transportation An integral part of a city’s inner workings is public transportation. Expand as the city grows from buses and taxis to other transportation systems such as tram and subway networks.

2023-07-09 Feature #4: Zones & Signature Buildings Various zone types create the bulk of the city: sprawling suburban areas and apartment building blocks, busy commercial districts, noisy industrial parks and sleek high-rise office complexes.

2023-07-17 Feature #5: City Services Brand-new services join the familiar city services, and while basic functionality remains the same, they have more nuanced and complex mechanics befitting a more realistic city-building game.

2023-07-23 Feature #6: Electricity & Water Electricity and water are crucial for running a city. A lack of electricity or water leads to reduced Well-being, while a backed-up sewage takes a toll on citizen Health.

2023-07-31 Feature #7: Maps & Themes A brief comparison of map sizes: A map tile in Cities: Skylies II is smaller than its predecessor - but you are able to unlock almost all tiles, giving you a whopping total of 441 map tiles.

2023-08-06 Feature #8: Climate & Seasons In Cities: Skylines II we have a whole new feature in the form of Climates! It brings changing seasons to the game and makes each map a unique gaming experience with its own Climate.

2023-08-14 Feature #9: Economy & Production A closer look at the economic simulation, how citizens and companies manage and use resources, and how you can build a prosperous city.

2023-08-21 Feature #10: Citizen Simulation & Lifepath Each citizen has their own Lifepath. They either move into the city or are born there. If they are happy, they will stay in the city and eventually grow old and die of old age.

2023-08-28 Feature #11: Game Progression Game progression has two interconnected layers: Milestones that give you points for you to spend in your Development Trees, allowing you to unlock more advanced services.

2023-09-03 Feature #12: Sound & Music City Service building sounds, atmospheric sounds and the sound of traffic - all these elements have been expanded to give more depth, variety, and control.

2023-09-09 Feature #13: Editor A deep dive into our new Camera & Photo Mode tools where you truly can put your city into it's best light, and share your creations with others.

Also I was very happy to see a six story, level 2 high wealth residential building with 15 households in it. There's hope.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Doesn't sound like regions are in it. Long may SimCity 4 reign.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

The Maroon Hawk posted:

Also the road building grid thing got a literal :eyepop: out of me

Wasn't that a thing in SimCity 4?

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

quote:

Maps & Themes A brief comparison of map sizes: A map tile in Cities: Skylies II is smaller than its predecessor - but you are able to unlock almost all tiles, giving you a whopping total of 441 map tiles.

the map better be loving huge if i have to wait for 441 tile unlocks

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Entropic posted:

Wasn't that a thing in SimCity 4?

It was, though it gave you an insane grid no one would ever use. No customization settings.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

sorry GF but i dont think we'll ever see region play in a game again. seeing only a subsection of the full map at a time isnt going to fly with modern tastes. maybe someone will cook up a game where you can play at that scale on a giant seamless map though

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

What is this, a realistically-sized building?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

VostokProgram posted:

the map better be loving huge if i have to wait for 441 tile unlocks

From just eyeballing the tree sizes seen in the trailer it seems pretty significantly larger and the min/max elevation range higher.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

VostokProgram posted:

sorry GF but i dont think we'll ever see region play in a game again. seeing only a subsection of the full map at a time isnt going to fly with modern tastes. maybe someone will cook up a game where you can play at that scale on a giant seamless map though

Someone, sooner or later if civilization lasts long enough, will make 3D Modern Interface Simcity 4 as an indie game. That person will get very rich.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Game looks good, definitely more realistic. Upgradeable services buildings also seem like a neat idea.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
It’s a Paradox game so my big question is gonna be what big features are getting left out to sell as DLC?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

There are multiple things in the trailer that were DLCs in the first game, so seems like it's the other direction.

I'm sure there will still be a whole bunch of DLC though.

Ripper Swarm
Sep 9, 2009

It's not that I hate it. It's that I loathe it.
And yet some things never change. Hello there, confused sideways cars!

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

Count Roland posted:

What is this, a realistically-sized building?

Nevermind that, upgrades to buildings is right there.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
441 = 21x21 tiles vs SC1's 81 = 9x9 tiles, unless they're shinking tile size significantly, that's an impressive amount of extra space to play with.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

They mentioned the tiles are smaller. Not by how much though.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Entropic posted:

441 = 21x21 tiles vs SC1's 81 = 9x9 tiles, unless they're shinking tile size significantly, that's an impressive amount of extra space to play with.

Those are specifically 441 tiles that you can purchase in CS2, not all of the tiles on the map. Presumably at least a one tile border reserved for map borders so it's more like 441 vs 25.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

They did also mention you can buy most of the map, I don't think it's going to be as much of a difference as in the first game when the inevitable unlock all mod comes out.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Grand Fromage posted:

They did also mention you can buy most of the map, I don't think it's going to be as much of a difference as in the first game when the inevitable unlock all mod comes out.

CS1 maps only actually have 25 tiles. The area is the same as 9x9 but those other 56 don't really exist in the same way as the middle 25, which is why 81 tile mods are either moderately broken as hell or need to do things like implementing their own electricity simulation and disabling some features so that the game doesn't poo poo itself.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Huh. I've been playing with 81 tiles as long as it's existed and noticed nothing different about it. Glad that's the modder's problem and not mine.

E: This is neat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUHecMSgPaM

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jun 12, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

turn off the TV posted:

Those are specifically 441 tiles that you can purchase in CS2, not all of the tiles on the map. Presumably at least a one tile border reserved for map borders so it's more like 441 vs 25.

I've played with mods for so long I forget that you can only unlock 25 tiles in the vanilla game. It's like how gun to my head I couldn't tell you what the default Skyrim UI looks like without the SkyUI mod.