Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

I honestly can't tell if these are real buildings that just happen to look exactly like the consoles or if they're just renders but either way I'm into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

3D Megadoodoo posted:

You were watching Mad TV before you could read?

No but I didn't know how to go to the TV guide channel and we didn't get tv guides.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

"Hang the Greens while trees still exist"

"Why won't there be trees in the future?"

(Most normal conservative)

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

No one understands Germans

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

fun fact about the center building: it was originally being planned in the mid-80s when Texas was massively expanding their downtown metro areas to more heavily feature high-rise office spaces, but due to some zoning restrictions/restructuring it ended up sitting half-finished on the west side of downtown Dallas for a year or two. It was going to be finished as a series of cash-grab apartments in the early 90s, but Jerry Jones' wild success with the Cowboys in 1992 and 1993 meant he was able to purchase the half-finished building for $301 million (around $600 million in 2023 dollars) and work on getting it turned back into high-rise office space. The idea was that by the time construction would finish in 1996, the Cowboys executives and coaching staff would have their own (confidential) floor of offices toward the top of the building, with a lobby area that was converted into a line of scrimmage (complete with turf, courtesy of Texas Stadium) as you stepped off the elevator. This would be where they'd exclusively spend time working on the playbook for the post-season, a secretive area that could be used to further develop their offensive line without any spying eyes from other teams. There would be top-of-the-line computers there that stored information from every other team during the regular season. In the time it took another NFL team to watch a single game of game-tape, they could simulate hundreds of games by overlaying a mock playbook of their opponent. This would have given Dallas the upper-hand through the rest of the 90s and onwards. It would've worked out under any other circumstances, but during the 1996 playoffs the Cowboys sucked so loving much that even spending $600 million couldn't get them any games.

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Woh, is that a thing I like??

euphronius posted:

No one understands Germans

Ganz in Ernst

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

Every one of them is gold mate

That petrol pump one in particular

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

The download buttons follow the Last Crusade rules. The most humble and unassuming button is real one, a button of a carpenter.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

lobsterminator posted:

The download buttons follow the Last Crusade rules. The most humble and unassuming button is real one, a button of a carpenter.

Absolutely true. And also genuine chuckle

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Antigravitas posted:

"Why won't there be trees in the future?"

Because the greens killed nuclear power in favor of brown coal.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Hm yes, that's totally a thing that happened.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Antigravitas posted:

correct

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

No but I didn't know how to go to the TV guide channel and we didn't get tv guides.

Just press the Teksti-TV butan.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Antigravitas posted:

This is literally and unambiguously something that happened in German politics.

The awful cons were even going to reverse it and announced their plans to do like weeks before Fukushima, so they gave up.

The greens did do an okay job of planning an increase in renewables just not enough to cover what they took out.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

They actually had acting back then on SNL. As opposed to the last few casts who never make eye contact with each other and maintain a thousand yard stare at the cue cards at all times since they apparently can't remember a single line from their sketches.

SNL was at its very best when you, the one reading this, were around age 16 or 17. (You hear there was some good stuff before then but you haven't seen much of it.) By the time you had reached your early 20s, though, all the talented people had left and SNL had become painfully unfunny, an empty shell of its former glory.

It's true whether you were born in 1960, 2000, or anywhere in between, and it will continue to be true as time marches along.

e: Oh, and right about that time is also when America lost its innocence.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Snl has had occasional funny skits but I've never thought an entire episode was good even when I was 16

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

even the good skits are like a minute too long at minimum

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

lobsterminator posted:

Like the "No thanks, don't add any drinks or chicken nuggets" link in tiny text on the Domino's site

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

mystes posted:

Snl has had occasional funny skits but I've never thought an entire episode was good even when I was 16

Even in the (my, personally) Golden Age of SNL the most memorable ones with the actors who would go on to become superstars were unfunny and protracted and redundant. Oh it's the fifth identical time we've done the All Things Scottish store. Oh it's Opera Man again with the same schtick as always. Oh it's Daily Affirmation with Stuart Smalley, let me guess what the innuendo is about this time. Oh It's Pat. You sit through it for the occasional flash of brilliance but most of the time it's funny because it's so familiar and Simon saying "drawrings" has mysteriously become funny in and of itself, even if all the acting and pacing and awkward applause pauses surrounding it are painful to sit through

e: or Barbra Streisand might show up unscripted on Coffee Talk because she was in the building :tviv:

Data Graham has a new favorite as of 23:43 on Jun 11, 2023

Jorgos Nuuh
Dec 28, 2004
Pröööööt
About MADtv sucking

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqE7ZxH7BJE

A page too late for the party but it had it's moments.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Jorgos Nuuh posted:

About MADtv sucking

I'm so glad someone else remembers this skit. I've definitely posted that on these forums before.

PAX was a relgiousy network back in the day.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Jorgos Nuuh posted:

About MADtv sucking

hell yeah gandolfini rules

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Lol incredible. Only just finished the show for the first time recently and that skit is amazing, I had to check they weren't using the actual actors as guests or something

e: I mean that's Will Sasso doing Tony, right?

A talking coyote
Jan 14, 2020

Jorgos Nuuh posted:

About MADtv sucking

Any skit with Sasso playing Tony was gold.

https://youtu.be/oe8P8XdgGqo

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Antigravitas posted:

Genau.

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

people don’t remember stuart and uh whatever the lady’s name is who 1) never stops talking about her barren womb and 2) is constantly coughing up phlem?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Faustian Bargain posted:

people don’t remember stuart

You can’t make me remember stuart

Nooooooooooooooo-ooooooh

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Faustian Bargain posted:

uh whatever the lady’s name is who 1) never stops talking about her barren womb and 2) is constantly coughing up phlem?

Lorraine? She probably gets her cough and infertility from all the DEET

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mdA3tk5tBE

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

Grassy Knowles posted:

You can’t make me remember stuart

Nooooooooooooooo-ooooooh

He lookalikea man

GrandMaster
Aug 15, 2004
laidback

MokBa posted:

I honestly can't tell if these are real buildings that just happen to look exactly like the consoles or if they're just renders but either way I'm into it.

Ps2 building is in Melbourne, it's definitely real

https://www.reddit.com/r/melbourne/comments/xharfk/why_does_this_building_look_like_a_ps2/

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Can't forget about Nicole Sullivan's Antonia and Phil Lamarr
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPFQ8V9q2Hc

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Greens being opposed to nuclear power of any kind at all costs seems to be universal. It's a core tenet of the Australian Greens, too, and the one thing that really irritates me about them.

Like, I get that renewables are better, but nuclear is not nearly so bad as it's made out to be, and it's a zillion times better than fossil fuels, and sometimes it's necessary to go with the lesser of the two evils.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Greens should live nuclear power because of The Hulk.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
I'm so glad we've moved past laugh tracks

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

It's a hangover from the fact that most Green parties around the world came out of nuclear-free movements in the 70s, and the opposition made a lot more sense back then, when the global existential threat was nuclear war not climate change.

Memes:

iykyk

This probably doesn't need to be NWS spoilered but erring on the side of caution:

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
This was the first MadTV clip I saw, it was a mashup of two very mid-90’s things, Jane Austin movies and getting double-entendres past network censors, sorry I can’t get it to embed:

https://streamable.com/jx5hfw

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.

Remulak posted:

This was the first MadTV clip I saw, it was a mashup of two very mid-90’s things, Jane Austin movies and getting double-entendres past network censors, sorry I can’t get it to embed:

https://streamable.com/jx5hfw

https://youtu.be/3l2oi-X8P38

https://youtu.be/Deqx-Xb-yHY

Tenkaris has a new favorite as of 06:11 on Jun 12, 2023

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

Hyperlynx posted:

Greens being opposed to nuclear power of any kind at all costs seems to be universal. It's a core tenet of the Australian Greens, too, and the one thing that really irritates me about them.

Like, I get that renewables are better, but nuclear is not nearly so bad as it's made out to be, and it's a zillion times better than fossil fuels, and sometimes it's necessary to go with the lesser of the two evils.

The swedish greens are also anti nuclear. Main arguments being it has some waste and is more expensive than an equal production of reneweables. This might be true, but it does not motivate shutting down the nuclear we already have, which really annoys me. Phase it out as we build others? Sure. Shutting it down first and importing coal energy from germany? Not so green.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

ikanreed posted:

This is literally and unambiguously something that happened in German politics.

The awful cons were even going to reverse it and announced their plans to do like weeks before Fukushima, so they gave up.

The greens did do an okay job of planning an increase in renewables just not enough to cover what they took out.

Don't sell the conservatives short.

The conservatives destroyed the entirety of the booming solar industry they inherited from the Red/Green government, the majority of the world-leading wind power industry, made building new wind power de facto illegal in many states, and also let NPPs decay along with the entire countries infrastructure. Oh, and stopped grid expansion projects. And destroyed over 100 000 jobs. And amended the constitution to cripple state power going forward. And right now are calling for the murder of "The Greens" over heat pumps.

Still, despite their best efforts, at no point was nuclear power replaced by coal. So nope, didn't happen.

Here, have a German meme:

Newly built wind power. It's the Altmaier Bend. It was so bad and intentional it has a name.

Anyway, I don't think you can show your colours more clearly than agreeing with the conservative calling for the murder of "the Greens".