Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
Awesome, I'm going with a power necro atm, so far I've done alright but I'm only level 36, so I have a ways to go before I know if I suck or not at max level haha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Meeko posted:

https://www.youtube.com/@LordHizen/videos lordhizen's stuff is usually fine enough, tends to sometimes be overkill but usually works out.

keep in mind many of the more powerful open world builds rely on Celestial, which takes a few days (rl time gating) to craft yourself or is very expensive to buy off of the TP. if you don't have access to all that yet, Power Mechanist (engineer) or Power Reaper (necro), both using full berserker's gear are the cheapest and easiest options to get started with.

but what's the true answer if my favorite thing to do is swing a really big sword

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

Meowywitch posted:

but what's the true answer if my favorite thing to do is swing a really big sword

reaper, it uses a big sword then enters big sword shroud to swing an edgy black big sword and also yells like goku

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

Saraiguma posted:

reaper, it uses a big sword then enters big sword shroud to swing an edgy black big sword and also yells like goku

Now I know I made the right choice

Meeko
Sep 15, 2017

That's right! I'm the counting sheep, Meeko. And I'm a proper sheep youkai!

Meowywitch posted:

Power Reaper, Power/Celestial Vindicator, or Cavalier Bladesworn are your best bets there.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Meeko posted:

Power Reaper, Power/Celestial Vindicator, or Cavalier Bladesworn are your best bets there.

Time to get reaping :getin:

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

Back when there were no elite specs, I had a lot of fun with the greatsword Mesmer. Use your giant sword to:

Shoot a laser!
Throw it at an enemy, and have it bounce and hit some other fucker!
Stab it into the ground, and have it stab up through the ground at someone way over there!
Throw it again! This time when it hits someone, it turns into another you, who spins around stabbing people!
Swing it so hard a big wind blows people away!

Tambaloneus
Feb 5, 2007

I miss my cat someone buy me a kitten.

El Fideo posted:

Back when there were no elite specs, I had a lot of fun with the greatsword Mesmer. Use your giant sword to:

Shoot a laser!
Throw it at an enemy, and have it bounce and hit some other fucker!
Stab it into the ground, and have it stab up through the ground at someone way over there!
Throw it again! This time when it hits someone, it turns into another you, who spins around stabbing people!
Swing it so hard a big wind blows people away!

I have all the mesmer elites & still have the greatsword as the second weapon for all those reasons :D

Luggage
Aug 29, 2009
Imagine the Mesmer we could have had if great sword had been an elite spec weapon...

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

my mesmer gripe is i wish mirage could offhand axe, i like how axes look dual wielded

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Catgirl Al Capone posted:

my mesmer gripe is i wish mirage could offhand axe, i like how axes look dual wielded

Hell yeah. I use the Nightmare Axe on mine, and having two of them would look great.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

binge crotching posted:

Hell yeah. I use the Nightmare Axe on mine, and having two of them would look great.

It's been awhile since I logged on. It seems like my PvP gear was removed, should I be concerned lol?

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
Your PvP equipment should be accessible through the Hero Panel (H) > Equipment > click the helmet icon in the upper left.

If it has been a long time - pvp equipment is no longer stuff that takes up space in your inventory. Stats, runes, and sigils are all determined by what you select on the pvp equipment window - weapons are just whatever you're currently equipped with.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Actuarial Fables posted:

Your PvP equipment should be accessible through the Hero Panel (H) > Equipment > click the helmet icon in the upper left.

If it has been a long time - pvp equipment is no longer stuff that takes up space in your inventory. Stats, runes, and sigils are all determined by what you select on the pvp equipment window - weapons are just whatever you're currently equipped with.

Ah ok! Thank you :unsmith:.

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005
So we're expecting a new expansion in Q1/Q2 2024, based on their new business model, right? which means we're likely to get maybe 1 more content update before then, right? Or, after next weeks patch, we just have:

1. festival of four winds
2. halloween
3. christmas

For the rest of 2023, and then 2024 there's Lunar New Year and expansion?

gently caress thats grim

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Pretty sure the expac is supposed to drop by the end of this year, but yeah GW2 isn’t offering a lot for veteran players right now.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
GW2 has always been a bit on the slow side when it came to meaningful game updates, at the very least we know they are working on something compared to times when they would just go silent and work on side projects or the balance lead would throw a dart at the wiki to decide what skill to change by 5% on a class they knew nothing about to make it look like they were doing something.
The next expansion has to really "wow" people though and not just come off as a small living world update behind a paywall and hopefully the promised updates to abandoned parts of the game won't be several years out.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

whydirt posted:

Pretty sure the expac is supposed to drop by the end of this year, but yeah GW2 isn’t offering a lot for veteran players right now.

Yeah, I've stopped playing again. Aside from Leggy grind, there isn't anything left for me to do, unless I want to do optimized world event trains but that seems... unfun.

Oh well. I had over a decade of fun, which is only matched by Warframe, so that's pretty drat good.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST
I’ve tried about a hundred things to fix it, but ever since the last patch update, GW2 runs horribly and stutters. I can play on the very lowest settings, sort of, but it’s lossy and difficult to play.
Like, you might get cleaved by Minister Li in the KO strike and not have time to react.

Finally just threw in the towel and will have it diagnosed by a professional soon. Played for 1,300+ hours with no previous issues.

Doom Eternal runs at 99 fps both offline and online on Ultra settings, to put things into perspective.

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005
I enjoy playing hammer spell breaker these days. I’m thinking about investing in a hammer legendary. At the same time I’m considering a legendary dagger. Which has the best value? As in, hammer is kind of niche and only really used by 1-2 raid builds and I guess ranged rev. Dagger has more uses, right?

Tldr: would 2,000g for a dagger be a better spend than 2,000g for a hammer?

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Hammer supports a lot less builds so I'd choose dagger out of practicality. If you're chasing the skin though let whatever you think looks coolest be your guide.

I'm crunching dagger vs staff right now myself.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

The popular Power DPS Spellbreaker build on Hardstuck or Snowcrows runs a hammer, and axe/dagger. You will spend a lot of time swapping between either weapon set.

So Dagger is a strong choice overall for your legendary, and more versatile, I agree.

ptroll
Sep 8, 2011

By and large weapons get used for a few prefixes (i.e. there aren't a lot of condi swords or condi hammers out there) so legendary weapons aren't a great utility investment -- you won't be stat swapping them much. Get the one that has the cooler skin.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
What's the state of willbender and harbinger? Looking at past balance patches, it seems like they've been nearly untouched since EoD launched. The biggest thing for willbender looks like the virtues not overwriting each other, which is admittedly pretty significant. Harbinger doesn't look like it's had any major change.

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005
Legendaries are a gold sink, I get it. I already have 3 legendary weapons. I just have 2,000g burning a hole in my pocket atm and would like to buy something that unlocks another weapon forever.

Jedah posted:

The popular Power DPS Spellbreaker build on Hardstuck or Snowcrows runs a hammer, and axe/dagger. You will spend a lot of time swapping between either weapon set.

So Dagger is a strong choice overall for your legendary, and more versatile, I agree.

Yep, you basically rotate nonstop from dagger/axe to hammer and back again. It’s definitely more active than the other week when I ran core hammer guardian for w1 and still did respectable dps by just auto attacking.

But I think yea, dagger is probably the better option for me, since I something dabble in necro and dagger necro is really fun.

gnoma
Feb 7, 2005

These poles made from wood, and the crossarms from iron.

gandlethorpe posted:

What's the state of willbender and harbinger?

They're both competitive dps builds atm and are easy to play + have good beginner builds. Harbinger got a buff recently to make blight stacks easier to manage, and it's numbers went up enough that it's getting a nerf in the balance patch next week. Both are also fun to play imo but have lacked the utility of firebrand and scourge, which are more established builds that they kind of directly compete with. With recent/upcoming changes dps firebrand and scourge aren't looking so hot, though.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

After spending way too much time trying to fix GW2 from running poorly, it appears it was mouse related polling issue.

Apparently this is common in GW2. If your mouse's polling rate (or Report Rate) is set too high (mine was 1000) it can sink your FPS. Changed the mouse polling/report rate to 250, and it seemed to fix the issue.

Polling/report rate is different from DPI, it's just a setting you can toggle in your mouse software settings. Hope this helps someone if they're having mega FPS loss and can't pin down why.

AmbientParadox posted:

But I think yea, dagger is probably the better option for me, since I something dabble in necro and dagger necro is really fun.

Dagger Necro is a lot of fun. A Weaver/Tempest alt could also benefit from it.

Who knows, if Quickness Dead Eye becomes a thing on June 27th, there's another potential dagger build to try.

DoNotFeedTheBear
Sep 13, 2007
Dagger is good for Virt too

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
If you are looking at legendary weapons purely for convenience and practicality and inventory space saving, that list goes:
Staff > Sword/Axe/Dagger/Focus >>> Everything not mentioned yet >>>>>>>> Rifles and Greatswords.

The convenience of legendary weapons is the stat swapping and feeling free to salvage every weapon type you have legendary versions of, Staff/Sword/Axe/Dagger have plenty of variation of being used for power/condi/support across most of the characters, but anything that can be dualwielded you'll need a second legendary so that you can salvage any random ascended weapon from a boss that's filling up your bank, stuff like Rifle/Greatsword are 99.9% of the time used as Berserker stats so you aren't getting much convenience benefit from being able to stat swap them.

You could just pick purely on what looks best to you personally, but the legendary skins are pretty old at this point and there are like several hundred neat looking greatswords out there with new ones every month.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Yeah I’d say weapons are almost the bottom tier of utility for legendaries. Armor and trinkets are way more useful especially if you have a lot of alts.

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

whydirt posted:

Yeah I’d say weapons are almost the bottom tier of utility for legendaries. Armor and trinkets are way more useful especially if you have a lot of alts.

Weapons are mid as gently caress what are you smoking? Sigils and Runes are bottom tier. They cost like 200g each and replace items that cost 0.25g - 1g each. Runes almost never get changed regardless of meta-shakeups too. Once you slot in those 6 scholar runes, that's it.

Legendary right side is the highest priority imo, but screw doing pvp or wvw for hundreds of hours for a ring, and Dhuum is a real pain to beat so maybe one day I'll get me a legendary ring, but that day isn't today.

My buy order went through so now I got Aurene's Claw to reskin because I'm a big weirdo who enjoys low fantasy aesthetics

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

I like to gently caress around with builds on multiple characters, so I'm glad I have legendary runes

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

AmbientParadox posted:

Weapons are mid as gently caress what are you smoking? Sigils and Runes are bottom tier. They cost like 200g each and replace items that cost 0.25g - 1g each. Runes almost never get changed regardless of meta-shakeups too. Once you slot in those 6 scholar runes, that's it.

Legendary right side is the highest priority imo, but screw doing pvp or wvw for hundreds of hours for a ring, and Dhuum is a real pain to beat so maybe one day I'll get me a legendary ring, but that day isn't today.

My buy order went through so now I got Aurene's Claw to reskin because I'm a big weirdo who enjoys low fantasy aesthetics

runes and sigils are a lot more valuable if you play condi, support, or wvw

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Ive been in a few situations as dps, where they needed support, and im like, welp. ive got everything but the runes to do it...

That said.

the only thing holding my back now for leggy runs are the provisioners tokens, and im getting about 5 a day, so i can probably do my last 5 over the next 50 days

DoNotFeedTheBear
Sep 13, 2007

whydirt posted:

Quite true, but I'm a sucker for the various visual effects the weapons provide

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

legendary runes, sigils, and right side are the most valuable because they're usable on every character. right side is an easy argument, but runes and sigils aren't exciting enough to convince people

after that the decision between armor and weapons gets murky. armor you need a full set to gain the proper benefit, weapons you only need one, but it has to be usable on lots of alts with wide variance on the stats that their builds use (staff, sword, dagger are the main ones) otherwise ascended does the same job. it's a lot easier to swap out a weapon than a full set of armor.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

I think I'd even put runes/sigils over trinkets (at least a full set), because the game throws a decent amount of ascended trinkets at you. They're also the least pain-in-the-rear end to get, in terms of what kind of hoops you need to jump through.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
A legendary rune for the breather can be nice since I am sure not going to be swapping runes around on those for the 6th slot bonus or getting multiple ascended breathers per character.

Meeko
Sep 15, 2017

That's right! I'm the counting sheep, Meeko. And I'm a proper sheep youkai!

Looks like they leaked the upcoming expansion name due to copyright filing & steam page, which means we'll get it soon. Name this time is Secrets of the Obscure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Hmmm. I’m betting/hoping this means anet will finally explain: