Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
Does the current gear level of your character influence the ilvl of the gear that drops? Or is it purely based on clvl and WT lvl?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

queeb posted:

yeah same, only 2 drops for me.

i just made this, its nothing too insane but its still pretty nice as my first big boy weapon

now to slap a pulverize on it

Too bad it’s not a mace

Still very nice

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

You can hot swap your skill bar for exactly that situation - if your LMB has a low CD then you should be able to swap then generate resource in a pinch

TheAbortionator
Mar 4, 2005

Miss Mowcher posted:

Stripping aspects and adding it to items is mechanically better, but the unique/set items were indeed more fun to find.

So loving true.

Apologies in advance for the scatterbrain writing about my rose (or gold) colored memories.

I had a unique monarch (my second one ever) drop 2 runs after a seeing a unique colossus blade (my first one ever) drop during my first or second month of playing d2r. I stopped playing d2 at 1.09 but the conditioned dopamine hit from twenty something years ago was massive compared to the Jah rune I had drop about a week day into playing D2R.

My buddy who had only played D3, found a windforce in ancient tunnels 3 weeks in I kept thinking back to playing back in highschool and how many "tradeing soj for any skill charms with life" messages I spammed in public channels to get my very own unided hydra bow.

Out of everyone I played Im pretty sure only I knew only one person to have self found windy.

The second character I rolled after playing an axe barb for a year was an amazon because I found a Ballista from a chest during one of my 25 minute meph runs and was too attached to it to trade for the hellslayer I was dreaming about.

The image of that word "ballista" in gold is burned into my memory and the high I had for days afterwords is something I will never forget.

Pretty sure everyone who played d2 at release has a similar "completely unrelatable to anyone else" kinda story about their first ever bomb unique.

TheAbortionator fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jun 12, 2023

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I got back into bear pulverize. Just have to have an eye to timing up the three overpower procs

I missed it when you’d get an overpower on ever 10th kill. That must have been insane

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

gorgeous meticulously crafted environments are good, campaign is good, outposts and side quests are good, half-baked MMO Lite post-campaign game with shoddy balancing is not good

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

it is okay for a video game to just be pretty good

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

How dare you

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Wheeee posted:

it is okay for a video game to just be pretty good

Except this game is really good and I’m taking everyone who doesn’t think so to jail it’s the rules

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
The amazing thing is that Reaper of Souls took almost two years to come out and turn Diablo 3 into the genre standard. I think everybody understands that Diablo 4 has issues. It had to cut an entire region and act out of the story for this release date. The passive aggressive "well, Diablo 4 has issues with the end game, I guess it's over" shitposting is what's crazy. I think Blizz will figure out that they should adjust the numbers in their first balance and QoL patches, season patches, and the planned expansions.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Okay ngl it was pretty neat waltzing through the stronghold my sorc couldn't beat with my flurry rogue, and seeing it turn into a small town (sans waypoint unfortunately). Now to clear out the rest

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Wheeee posted:

gorgeous meticulously crafted environments are good, campaign is good, outposts and side quests are good, half-baked MMO Lite post-campaign game with shoddy balancing is not good

correct except the side quests are not good.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Doomykins posted:

The amazing thing is that Reaper of Souls took almost two years to come out and turn Diablo 3 into the genre standard. I think everybody understands that Diablo 4 has issues. It had to cut an entire region and act out of the story for this release date. The passive aggressive "well, Diablo 4 has issues with the end game, I guess it's over" shitposting is what's crazy. I think Blizz will figure out that they should adjust the numbers in their first balance and QoL patches, season patches, and the planned expansions.

The ratio of normal to insane posting is much better in this thread and by that logic the game is a slam dunk lol.

Considering where we are starting at baseline I expect good things. This series has always been an on and off fixation for me. Will probably shelve it after season 1 and keep an eye on patches. Really excited to see what they make of such a solid start.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

crepeface posted:

Some of the side quests are good. Some are "you hit a rock and a gem fell out, go return the gem" and it makes me wonder if they had some moronic internal target for side quests to meet, so they half-assed it.

Gejimayu
Mar 4, 2005
spaz
Just unlocked the barbarian expertise system thingy. So, if I want to use the 2h Sword bonus, and I equip it, will the expertise level up for it when I use other weapons, or do I have to be actively using a 2h sword for the experience? I'm thoroughly enjoying HotA but can't do that with a 2h sword and my expertise level is only 1 on that weapon type.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

crepeface posted:

Yeah this is the kind of comment that gets you arrested around these parts.

There’s a big variety of side quests, ranging from collecting bear asses, to “kill this thing to recover the macguffin”, to “I put my son in a mental asylum and now he’s haunting me”, but a lot of them have genuine effort put in and add a lot of flavor to the world.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Finding Lyndon again in Hawezar was pretty cool. It sounds like they got Troy Baker to voice him again too, which is surprising.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

there are so many drat side quests it feels like they had a “side quest team” who hit their requirements in, say, 2019. and then just kept adding more while every other team tried to get their act together and finish the game

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Ice Fist posted:

Yeah this is the kind of comment that gets you arrested around these parts.

There’s a big variety of side quests, ranging from collecting bear asses, to “kill this thing to recover the macguffin”, to “I put my son in a mental asylum and now he’s haunting me”, but a lot of them have genuine effort put in and add a lot of flavor to the world.

Right. The good ones are very good, the bad ones feel like launch WoW quests.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

pmchem posted:

there are so many drat side quests it feels like they had a “side quest team” who hit their requirements in, say, 2019. and then just kept adding more while every other team tried to get their act together and finish the game

Yeah, question for someone who isn't very far in the story. All side quests stay available no matter what? Or are there any that I could lose if i progress too far in the story/finish it?

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
They're always available forever.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Come to think of it, I'm not really sure when the ideal time to actually do the side quests is! You get to level 50 just fine from doing the campaign itself, no side quests, and the rewards never scale up so you might bang out a side quest at level 100 and your reward is 1x basic leather (common)

Char
Jan 5, 2013

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Come to think of it, I'm not really sure when the ideal time to actually do the side quests is! You get to level 50 just fine from doing the campaign itself, no side quests, and the rewards never scale up so you might bang out a side quest at level 100 and your reward is 1x basic leather (common)

I finished the campagin at 41, sooner or later you're gonna do them

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
And I guess with the paragon points locked behind 'em, the open world exploration/side quests are a "there is no right or wrong time to do them and there are rewards relevant to any power progression at any point in the game"

That's like... a GOOD thing? I have Bungie Stockholm Syndrome (destiny 2 player) so my brain is trying to reject this possibility of benevolent game design

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
I do see value (or at least dev intention) for some of the randomly-acquired side quests. It can drive completionists to go out in the game world and farm resource nodes. Doing so in a concerted effort is probably less fun, but picking them up as you go is easy enough.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

The resource caches are nice for item upgrades and enchanting, at least at certain points. The caches with gems absolutely scale up, which can be situationally useful.

Provided they're sensible, I would like to see more uses for gems. After a while they're just trash. While this issue / design choice isn't unique to D4, an alternative would be cool. Even a high vendor value would be welcome

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

And I guess with the paragon points locked behind 'em, the open world exploration/side quests are a "there is no right or wrong time to do them and there are rewards relevant to any power progression at any point in the game"

That's like... a GOOD thing? I have Bungie Stockholm Syndrome (destiny 2 player) so my brain is trying to reject this possibility of benevolent game design

I think they're fine but I don't want to have to re-do the same side quests every season, hopefully bliz will add more ways to earn renown or just leave them unlocked

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
To me the best sidequests are the ones that take you to new waypoints. The worst are the ones that you have to revisit 20 times and there is no waypoint anywhere nearby, gently caress you Timue :argh:

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
You don’t need to do many of them at all, maybe any for max renown in each region.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I appreciate the vast open world but I have found myself wishing there were way more waypoints lol.

Blacktooth
Apr 13, 2007

site posted:

Okay ngl it was pretty neat waltzing through the stronghold my sorc couldn't beat with my flurry rogue, and seeing it turn into a small town (sans waypoint unfortunately). Now to clear out the rest

Strongholds might be my favorite thing. I really hope they find a way to expand on them. Maybe as a variation of Legion events.

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

If a sidequest doesn't give me an imbue, the ability to add sockets to an item, or a chance at a good rune I'm not doing it

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

American McGay posted:

I appreciate the vast open world but I have found myself wishing there were way more waypoints lol.

Wow man, why do you play a game you hate?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

EVERY TIME GOING posted:

Me 150 hours into exterminating gorgeous demonic flora and fauna around Sanctuary, looking at another 150: "I loving hate this game."

ingame title: belligerent eater

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Blacktooth posted:

Strongholds might be my favorite thing. I really hope they find a way to expand on them. Maybe as a variation of Legion events.

Same here. Especially the strongholds that turn into towns. It's a compelling bit of worldbuilding to experience and have at least a little bit of agency over. I'd be excited if they introduced a seasonal/expansion mechanic where the demon horde overruns a town and sets it back to stronghold status. Or maybe a mechanic where you assist in the defense of a town (do 3x side quests to gather supplies/allies, eradicate a nearby dungeon to lower their numbers, etc) and if you fail the stronghold resets.

Regardless, it's a cool concept that is ripe for expanding on and I hope they do.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

M. Night Skymall posted:

Wow man, why do you play a game you hate?

:mediocre:

I'm over here just mad about getting uniques that don't really fit my build. I've been debating switching my Rogue to Flurry from all the suggestions

I'm also on the fence about starting a new char but I kinda want to wait til Season 1

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

I wish they'd have a second build that I could swap to.. Weird that there isn't

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
bought this yesterday when my coworkers wouldnt shut up about it and im having a good time just zooming around blowing up corpses. everyone having lovely eastern european accents makes the setting more depressing than the bleak colour scheme imo. probably wont look at build guides until the season starts im just really loving the necro skills sound design

Astryl
Feb 1, 2005

"15,000 hours of Diablo II isn't that much, dweeb."

crepeface posted:

Delivering someone a missing invoice in a world filled with demons killing everyone is infinitely hilarious.

Some of the side quests are good, "collect 69 bear asses" is not.

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

im just really loving the necro skills sound design

Different weapons have different attack speed based on their size and a dagger is very fast attack speed. Necro is the only one that can equip a shield (so far) and a shield increases weapon speed by 80%. There are also aspects that can increase necro's attack speed further by like 50% after Overpower procs. This tends to turn everything around a high level blood sacrifice necro into a 300 BPM rave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Ok I'm having no issue ditching the generator skill on my Shadow CE/Blight necro. It's a shame I could only get one skillpoint back, but trading a lovely skill for being able to have a golem is solid.

Honestly I could probably even ditch Blight with how well CE + Tendrils is doing.