Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
My Friendly Neighborhood looks like an interesting setting and a breather between big name games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Scalding Coffee posted:

My Friendly Neighborhood looks like an interesting setting and a breather between big name games.

Yeah and looks more Bioshock influenced than Five Nights and Hello Neighbour so points for that

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

The 7th Guest posted:

PC Gaming Show 2023 Recap

Jorel's Brother And the Most Important Game in the Galaxy (June 15) is a point and click adventure with very Cartoon Network-looking visuals, because... well.. it's a Cartoon Network game. Apparently based on a Brazillian cartoon? Any Brazillian nerds wanna.. wanna chime in? Hello?

hello

lol, I had no idea that game was coming out, but the cartoon owns

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

PowerBeard posted:

Since FIG has gone under, isn't Homeworld 3 trapped.?

I didn't think so? I think development is still humming along, but it got pushed to 2024. :/

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Oxxidation posted:

i've seen more negative impressions than positive and i'm beginning to suspect that the STR builds' sluggishness might be a factor. i stuck with the basic saber all the way through and didn't have any issues with movement, though the final boss of the demo wrecked me like a dozen times before i finally limped through

Yeah I used the rapier through the whole demo and the combat felt great.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Sab669 posted:

Just finished this demo; it's probably because I love to climb irl but this seems exceptionally cool. Controls felt pretty intuitive for the most part, although if you fall you're kinda stuck figuring out some of the other controls before the tutorial tells you about them :v:
It seems really cool, but I got to the towers at the end of the demo I assume and had no idea what it wanted me to do after I got to some platform.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Getting caught up on the PC Gaming show, and this was just sad for games shown. I always like the cheesy Day9/Frankie skits though lol, i'm just easily amused.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Rusty posted:

It seems really cool, but I got to the towers at the end of the demo I assume and had no idea what it wanted me to do after I got to some platform.

I ended up clipping into a beam sticking out, lowered myself down then swung until my momentum was high enough that I could jump over to the other tower. Then climb around the back and up.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

GreenBuckanneer posted:

This demo made me realize that I want a Souls game with the souls combat ripped out and replaced with Darksiders 2 combat instead, and no other changes.

U should play darksiders 3!

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Sab669 posted:

I ended up clipping into a beam sticking out, lowered myself down then swung until my momentum was high enough that I could jump over to the other tower. Then climb around the back and up.
That one beam was really buggy, I could not stand on it, and my rope would loop over and around it, other than that, game is really cool.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I was hoping they’d show off more Stalker 2 stuff :(

I also get that it’s an incredibly tall order to ask with regards to the war.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Avowed looked a little janky but it's also Obsidian and set in the Pillars of Eternity Universe so I'm very, very, very inclined to be excited for it!

GrandpaPants posted:

I'm still hoping for Pillars of Eternity 3 :(

:smith::hf::(

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Did anyone here every play Ravenlok? I started it and the beginning is really boring. Is there a fun game hiding behind the worlds most uninteresting fetch quests?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Updated Summer Games Fest demo list:

PLATFORMER
Antonblast, Cato, Ducky's Delivery Service, Ebenezer and the Invisible World, Iron Meat Little Nemo and the Guardians of Slumberland, Renaine (new demo), Through the Nightmares

MOUNTAIN CLIMBING (there are more than one! it gets a category!)
Jusant, Surmount

ACTION/ARCADE
Blackout Protocol, Gori: Cuddly Carnage, Slave Zero X, Stick it to the Stickman, Toxic Crusaders, World's Worst Handyman

ACTION-ADVENTURE
Black Skylands, En Garde!, Go Fight Fantastic, Grimfield Mystery

FPS
Road to Vostok, Fortune's Run

NARRATIVE
Arctic Awakening, Baladins, CorpoNation, Fall of Porcupine (prologue), Love Shore, Mythwrecked, Sanya, The Invincible, Touchstarved, Tracks of Thought, Venba, Videoverse

STRATEGY
Airship: Kingdoms Adrift, Godless, Revival: Recolonization, Toy Tactics

PUZZLE
A Tiny Sticker Tale, Botany Manor, Escape From Mystwood Mansion, Leximan, Lil' Guardsman, Paper Trail (new demo), Puzzles for Clef, Spirit Swap, The Bookwalker, The Star Named EOS

DECKBUILDING
Astrea: Six Sided Oracles, The Dead Await (prologue), Don Duality, Shattered Heaven

ROGUELITE
Elsie, Grimoire Groves, Let's Revolution, Odinfall, Super Raft Boat Together

CITY BUILDING
Bulwark: Falconeer Chronicles, Farlanders (prologue), Homeseek, Laysara: Summit Kingdom, New Cycle, Steamworld Build

COZY BUILDING
Bubblegum Galaxy, Gourdlets, Growth, Land Above Sea Below

MANAGEMENT
Jumplight Odyssey, Lakeburg Legacies, Let's School, Punch Club 2, The Brew Barons

RPG
Remedium, WrestleQuest

AUTOMATION
Nova Lands, Word Factori

CRAFT-HEAVY and/or SURVIVAL
Aloft, Distant Bloom, I Am Future, Voidtrain, While the Iron's Hot, Wildmender

SOULS-LIKE
Grime, Lies of P

HORROR
Daymare 1994, Luto, My Friendly Neighborhood, Psychroma

LIFE SIMS
Cattails 2: Wildwood Story, Critter Crops, Go Go Town, The Palace on the Hill (prologue), Wylde Flowers

RELAXING
Bombing 2, Station to Station, Sticky Business

MISC
Bugaboo Pocket, Olliefrog Toad Skater, Little Friends: Puppy Island (for your kids i guess?), March of Shrooms, Quilts and Cats of Calico, Sclash, Slopecrashers, Wood & Weather

e:

Also, not a demo, but Kill it with Fire just announced a sequel that will be entering Early Access

Weird that tinyBuild didn't find a show to announce it in. Maybe the Guerilla Collective show on the 13th?

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Jun 12, 2023

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I said come in! posted:

no homeworld 3 news?

Delayed til February

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

The 7th Guest posted:

e:

Also, not a demo, but Kill it with Fire just announced a sequel that will be entering Early Access

Weird that tinyBuild didn't find a show to announce it in. Maybe the Guerilla Collective show on the 13th?

Wasn't it in the PC gaming show?

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Did anyone here every play Ravenlok? I started it and the beginning is really boring. Is there a fun game hiding behind the worlds most uninteresting fetch quests?

the entire game is nothing but uninteresting fetch quests and incredibly lackluster combat, its like they spent all their time working on the visuals and then forgot to make a game and just shoved as much time wasting poo poo into the game at the last minute to pad out the playtime

they managed to squeeze 3-4 hours out of that

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Unreal_One posted:

I didn't see it there. I mean maybe I missed it while recoiling from the psychic damage of the Day9 'comedy skits'

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

getting back into some steam games i've missed during my month's long tears of the kingdom fugue state

who the gently caress moved the confirm button on my controller? :mad: there's no way it's been on the bottom face button this whole time!!

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

bawk posted:

getting back into some steam games i've missed during my month's long tears of the kingdom fugue state

who the gently caress moved the confirm button on my controller? :mad: there's no way it's been on the bottom face button this whole time!!

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I looooove how everyone assumes you have a Xbox controller. It's not the OG layout on modern consoles, older ones, or the initial PC joycons. Like, it must have sold sooo drat well in other parts of the world to become the default, but everyone I know who does consoles is a Playstation guy and so it's what I bought for my PC most recently and it's baffling how no loving game can conceive that I own one.

Waitaminute, is this a "Microsoft forced a certain layout in the windows control panel 10 years ago" thing that I don't know about?

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

Serephina posted:

I looooove how everyone assumes you have a Xbox controller. It's not the OG layout on modern consoles, older ones, or the initial PC joycons. Like, it must have sold sooo drat well in other parts of the world to become the default, but everyone I know who does consoles is a Playstation guy and so it's what I bought for my PC most recently and it's baffling how no loving game can conceive that I own one.

Waitaminute, is this a "Microsoft forced a certain layout in the windows control panel 10 years ago" thing that I don't know about?

Same.

I literally have to emulate an XBOX controller for my Ps3 controller. It's absurd.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Yeah why is a controller layout from a Microsoft-based platform the default on a Microsoft-based platform.

It's truly a mystery. I guess we'll never know.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I've been using a 360 controller for a ages. The sticks are getting bad and I don't know if if I should get a SHXV-whateverthefuck-microsoft-calls-the-latest-xbox controller, or just keep going with 360 forever.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Jack Trades posted:

Yeah why is a controller layout from a Microsoft-based platform the default on a Microsoft-based platform.

It's truly a mystery. I guess we'll never know.

Video game developers aren't paid by microsoft to shill for their controller - well, at least I hope not.

edit: For example, Steam has gone to great lengths to recognize a variety of inputs for ages now, and surprise surprise they even released their own hardware. It's a... I dunno, awareness thing?

Serephina fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Jun 12, 2023

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

Unreal_One posted:

They showed some of it during the preshow.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Serephina posted:

Video game developers aren't paid by microsoft to shill for their controller - well, at least I hope not.

edit: For example, Steam has gone to great lengths to recognize a variety of inputs for ages now, and surprise surprise they even released their own hardware. It's a... I dunno, awareness thing?
Picture you're a game dev. Are you going to implement your own controller drivers and recognition into the game, or just use the XInput implementation literally built into Windows? Which sounds easier to you?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Serephina posted:

There are two controller APIs on modern Windows - XInput, which handles Xbox controllers with all their modern handling and ease of porting from consoles, and DirectInput, which is primarily intended for really old controllers from a hundred years ago. For whatever reason, Playstation controllers use DirectInput by default on PC, with special handling for the cool DualSense stuff only being made available by Sony on a game-by-game basis for some stupid reason.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I imagine the decision to use the XInput protocol was motivated by the desire to have DualSense controllers work on games other than the ones Sony makes themselves. Like, I dunno, the fifty million games already on Steam? Would you buy a controller just to play God of War and Horizon?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Mind blowing that the controller most people would use on a PC would be the one from the company also making the OS 90% of people play games on, and the one that has showed any amount of support for PC gaming over the last 20 years.

Truly astounding.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Xinput is great and one of the best things Microsoft did with the 360, just building compatibility into Windows for the 360 controller.
Before that game pads on the PC were a loving mess.

"Press button 7 to jump!"
Which is button 7? I don't know, they're not loving labelled!
Now about everything supports Xbox prompts.

It's great that Sony has made a lush into the PC space and the PlayStation controllers work on PC now, but that's on the developers to impliment prompts.

I use a Dual Sense on my PC and I just translate the prompts when a game doesn't show PS prompts. I don't know about you, but it's easy to remember that X on Xbox is square on PlayStation and so on.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
I wish more devs would implement configurable button displays in their games but it's just a rare treat instead. Not the end of the world that they don't, just a bit irritating as someone with decades of built up association with different labels.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Hogama posted:

I wish more devs would implement configurable button displays in their games but it's just a rare treat instead. Not the end of the world that they don't, just a bit irritating as someone with decades of built up association with different labels.

I think the real troublemaker is the X button. You see A vs B or even Y you think "Oh right, playstation uses shapes and there is no Y button, Nintendo has the letters the other way around."

I see X on screen and either am playing Zelda reaching for where X would be on an Xbox pad. Or playing street fighter 6 with a playstation controller with my brother, "Press X for random character. I know where the X on a playstation is I am not an idiot" aw gently caress it is the PC version with Xbox prompts it happened again.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Jun 12, 2023

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

xinput is great as long as you only care about the functionality of an xbox controller, but microsoft refuses to take it any further than that so anything that wants to do gyro controls or haptics or whatever has to step outside of xinput and things get really convoluted

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

If Sony had released good drivers for the Dual Shock 3 I think we would be having a very different conversation right now. There weren't a lot of options for wireless controllers back then, the PC dongle for the 360 controller took a long time to come out and was constantly out of stock.

Instead, we had to wait until the Dual Shock 4 for a reasonably compatible controller and even then you still needed to download DS4windows to use it.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Controller support on PC used to be terrible. It is less terrible now thanks to XInput standards and Valve developing Steam Input.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Been using a PS4 controller, and now more recently a DualSense for as long as it was possible. I had bought a 360 controller specifically for PC gaming but holy hell the loving dpad sucked for anything that required a straight-down and not a diagonal. It was probably defective on hindsight but I remember a lot of people complaining about the dpads.

Switched to dualsense because with giving up my office for my stepdaughter's room, my PC is now like 8 ft. from the TV. Bluetooth loving sucks on this desktop, but I have long USB-C cables that can reach the couch.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Is there any way for my kids' steam accounts to friend each other without spending money?
They both have me as a friend and are in the same "family" (not that Steam families seem very defined.)

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

The xbox 360 controller is like 15 years old now, the newest xbox controllers are the best controllers you can buy right now for pc gaming imo and have great d-pads and have wireless dongles so you can use it wirelessly without having to use bluetooth.

Edit: Almost 20 years old :cripes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

~Coxy posted:

Is there any way for my kids' steam accounts to friend each other without spending money?
They both have me as a friend and are in the same "family" (not that Steam families seem very defined.)

I went through this with my brothers account, where we put €5 on it and bought one of the Fallout games. It was a measure to stop bot accounts friending yiu and begging for item trades.