Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Amazon is already on my shot list when they discontinued the Cloud Cam, which I got solely because it was on sale and was one of two cameras that worked with Amazon Key, and replaced it with a (free) Blink cam that does not work with Key. [I]And[/] requires a monthly or annual fee to use at all. They’re next tier cameras will work with Key, but are stupid expensive.
So I got a set of refurbished Wyze cameras, since I already have their doorbell, and put one in the garage. They can record to SD locally. They do motion detection, and I could pay the sub to record to the cloud, which I may do. My main consideration was to *not* pay Amazon, because gently caress them for that rug pull.
One camera of the three is currently unused, but I put one as a monitoring camera on my 3D printer, where it works admirably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Thanks Ants posted:

I can let smart thermostats slide simply because nobody seems able to make a programmable thermostat that is easy to configure. I'll pay double just to get a web UI and automatic DST changes.
Mechanical timers for thermostats are super common and my parents have had one for years. Ireland is such that your heating settings are "on" and "off" and TBH that's really all you need.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

When my schedule's unpredictable a smart thermostat is very useful compared to a timer. I don't heat an empty flat or come home to a freezing one.
Other things I can do without. I could turn my roomba on remotely but I won't. Not since the time my cat shat on the floor and the roomba smeared it all over the place. There are so many nooks and crannies on the underside of a roomba you have to pick cat poo poo out of.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Renegret posted:

A smart thermostat is the one IOT device that I'm going to defend just because of the sheer amount of customization options you're given.

“Sheer amount of customization options”…?

My thermostat has a weekly cycle that lets me program the temp during parts of the day whether it’s a weekday or weekend. No internet required.

What else do you need it to do?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Mine hooks up to my humidifier, dehumid, and power air exchanger so it can do a few more things.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Agrikk posted:

“Sheer amount of customization options”…?

My thermostat has a weekly cycle that lets me program the temp during parts of the day whether it’s a weekday or weekend. No internet required.

What else do you need it to do?

Power on if one of the thermostatic valves detect a lower temp than planned or have the thermostat skip powering on if there is no need based on the temp from the valves? I use my netatmo that way.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Did you just describe the function of a thermostat? Open for the heating if it's cold, stop heating when it's warm.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

nielsm posted:

Did you just describe the function of a thermostat? Open for the heating if it's cold, stop heating when it's warm.

My previous thermostat turned on heat at set intervals and if the thermostat felt it was hot enough, it would stop. Sadly my flat develop horizontally so it would cut off with the area near the thermostat barely warm and the other zones colder as gently caress. Each heater element has sensors now that can talk with the thermostat and, if that room expected temp is not reached, they can arm the water pump to circulate hot water for that specific unit.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Did you tell your girlfriend to stop putting the halogen lamp right next to it?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Got to reboot one of these today:

I don't recommend it.

They're designed to run 24/7/365 and there is no actual software shutdown command. This one had to be shut down because they were doing some maintenance work that required shutting down the building power for longer than the battery backup (those 8 giant batteries on the right) was rated for. The shutdown / cold boot procedure basically involves just taking a config backup and then flipping the breakers on the back. And then praying when you fire it back up.

This one took about 3 hours to coax all the control boards and line cards back to life.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Entropic posted:

The shutdown / cold boot procedure basically involves just taking a config backup and then flipping the breakers on the back. And then praying when you fire it back up.

This one took about 3 hours to coax all the control boards and line cards back to life.
I can't be the only one wondering what happens during an unscheduled utility power black out

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Entropic posted:

You've seen a Rockwell Retro Encabulator in person?!

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

That thing is a relic, wow

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Thanks Ants posted:

That thing is a relic, wow

You know it's old because it's branded Northern Telecom. You know, the company that would later go on to change its name to Nortel. Who famously went out of business like 15 years ago.

Now if you want a real relic, you gotta find something branded Northern Electric.

Entropic fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Jun 11, 2023

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

nexxai posted:

I can't be the only one wondering what happens during an unscheduled utility power black out

Hopefully, the batteries last. It has a lot of them, but I imagine it's power-hungry.

And actually, this building has backup generators, but those generators had to be taken offline as part of the maintenance yesterday, hence the controlled shutdown of the old PBX.

It also comes with a voicemail server that is the exact size and form-factor of a mini-fridge:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

What's the reasoning behind running that thing still?

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Thanks Ants posted:

look inside your heart

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
If they didn't have that voicemail server how would they hear about their car warranty expiration.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Thanks Ants posted:

Inertia. Sure, it ends up costing a bunch of money in dribs and drabs to keep it running over the years (and I bet no one has looked at how much it contributes to elecricity bill costs) but those are expenses that already fit in the existing budget and replacing it with a modern new system would be a big one-time cost in the 5 figures and can you prove to the beancounters that whatever new system you put in won't also have lots of maintenance costs?

This isn't even the only Meridian 1 system I know of that's still running in this town. You install something like that at a government site and they're gonna keep it running until they literally can't.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Just don't be the one working there when it finally goes kaput.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

GreenNight posted:

Just don't be the one working there when it finally goes kaput.

I've worked on an install at a hotel where their old system abruptly died on them and we had to rush to get something new up and running.
They had their main business number forwarded to a cell phone that lucky employees got to pass around for days while we scrambled to get parts in and get it installed.
And they were lucky, all the hundreds of room phones were basic analog sets and compatible with the new system. I can't imagine doing a panic install at a huge office where there's hundreds of sets but they're all digital ones that need to be individually replaced and extension numbers aren't all wired in neat linear order in the phone room.
Nothing makes you appreciate VOIP like having to map out cross-connects for 100+ digital extensions. (god help you if the jacks don't have labeling you can rely on and you have to tone stuff out)

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

We moved to VOIP years ago. It has been a mixed bag, since we are running phone traffic over three different networks across several divisions.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Much like printers, phones are another thing I was responsible for in a previous job that I have entirely erased from my resume and will deny having any knowledge of if asked to ever support them again.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The only phone knowledge I will admit to having is "I can give you dialtone in Teams if you'd like"

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Oh hi US Robotics Sportster, haven’t seen you in a minute

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Entropic posted:

It also comes with a voicemail server that is the exact size and form-factor of a mini-fridge:

crytycal services indeed

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Data Graham posted:

I routinely run into those still in service as out-of-band remote access to network equipment. Mostly being superceded by cellular modems now, but if you want a reliable way to remotely access a router if the site's internet is down or the WAN settings are buggered, having a dial-in to the console port still does the job.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Sirotan posted:

will deny having any knowledge of if asked to ever support them again.
This is a really awesome mindset, and one that I think a lot of newer IT folks forget is an option.

For example: If you're trying to get away from a job that makes you support phone systems, and the interviewer at the new place asks you if you know telephony, a perfectly reasonable answer is "No." If they ever somehow find out AND confront you about your experience with telephony later, you can just say that you didn't and still don't feel confident working with it and so didn't want to overstate your capabilities.

This accomplishes two things:
- You might actually get the job that doesn't make you support telephony (or <insert technology you hate>)
- You show humility and "self-awareness" of your own skill level

See, sometimes lying works out for everyone. :)

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
poo poo, I just remembered something about that hotel install. We did have some trouble finding a few extensions in the end, so once I was done with the programming I was helping a cabling tech to tone those out.
In big buildings usually they'll have voice wiring terminated to panels on each floor or wing or whatever with 25 or 50 pair riser cables going from those down to the main panel, terminated to BIX strips at both ends.
(BIX was the Nortel standard so you see it everywhere in Canada, I think in USA the equivalent is more commonly 110 block? basically the same thing)
It will be labeled on the panel strip so you can see where it goes. Like you'll see a BIX strip in the main voice wiring panel that says "50 pair to 2nd floor" on it or something.

Anyway, we were trying to tone something out and traced the pair back to a BIX strip that was just labeled
code:
T H E   H O L E
I wish I could find the photos.

Basically there turned out to be dirt-floor crawlspace tunnels in the basement which for some reason had a cross-connect panel in them

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

No

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Entropic posted:

You know it's old because it's branded Northern Telecom. You know, the company that would later go on to change its name to Nortel. Who famously went out of business like 15 years ago.

Now if you want a real relic, you gotta find something branded Northern Electric.

I think I've got a bunch of Ameritech branded telecom stuff in a closet off a bathroom at the office.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

nexxai posted:

This is a really awesome mindset, and one that I think a lot of newer IT folks forget is an option.

For example: If you're trying to get away from a job that makes you support phone systems, and the interviewer at the new place asks you if you know telephony, a perfectly reasonable answer is "No." If they ever somehow find out AND confront you about your experience with telephony later, you can just say that you didn't and still don't feel confident working with it and so didn't want to overstate your capabilities.

This accomplishes two things:
- You might actually get the job that doesn't make you support telephony (or <insert technology you hate>)
- You show humility and "self-awareness" of your own skill level

See, sometimes lying works out for everyone. :)

This with IVR systems, Sharepoint, team foundation server.

Never a-loving-gain.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Hey do you know about door access control?

Nope, no idea.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
Oh, y'all use computers for that? Wow, we are truly living in the future.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Entropic posted:

We have a site that has one of these (fortunately attached to a much newer Avaya PBX) where we have to manually set the clock back to the '90s every time it boots for reasons I don't entirely understand (one of my colleagues that lives near the site has dealt with it most of the time).

Unfortunately almost every extension is the Avaya proprietary digital poo poo so we're stuck with this disaster until we either drop the client or it fails and they finally acknowledge that it needs to be replaced.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Data Graham posted:

ATT still sends you one in the box for their cisco routers.

I haven't the heart to tell them they can fallback to my secondary distinct fiber pull if they need to get in.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Entropic posted:

I don't recommend it.

They're designed to run 24/7/365 and there is no actual software shutdown command. This one had to be shut down because they were doing some maintenance work that required shutting down the building power for longer than the battery backup (those 8 giant batteries on the right) was rated for. The shutdown / cold boot procedure basically involves just taking a config backup and then flipping the breakers on the back. And then praying when you fire it back up.

We had four of those systems decommissioned this year. The dismount procedure started with impact guns and then switched to buzzsaws and thermal lances once they guessed that being stuck in a position for decades will mean they are proper seized. Most of the systems weight was in the power trays, the voltage regulators are very over specced and the batteries aren’t no slouch either.

gooby pls
May 18, 2012

SlowBloke posted:

We had four of those systems decommissioned this year. The dismount procedure started with impact guns and then switched to buzzsaws and thermal lances once they guessed that being stuck in a position for decades will mean they are proper seized. Most of the systems weight was in the power trays, the voltage regulators are very over specced and the batteries aren’t no slouch either.

Sounds like a speedy cutover

https://youtu.be/saRir95iIWk

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

gooby pls posted:

Sounds like a speedy cutover

https://youtu.be/saRir95iIWk

I don't know poo poo about phones but this is terrifying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?
Found this hidden in a bathroom in the warehouse. No longer in use, thankfully.