Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: GhostofJohnMuir)

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Cease to Hope posted:

guy who keeps getting igneous intrusive and igneous extrusive switched, even though it comes up in conversation all the time

Igneous intrusive thoughts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

extrusive thoughts

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
gotta tuff em out

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
You mean poo poo ideas

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

Pirate Radar posted:

You mean poo poo ideas
cerebral diarrhoea

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
who lives in a bunker in albania
EN VER HOX HA

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
the death of the unabomber reminds me that someone in my life was for a time on the fbi's list of top suspects. never been quite sure what to make of that

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

the death of the unabomber reminds me that someone in my life was for a time on the fbi's list of top suspects. never been quite sure what to make of that

I take it there wasn't a bounty on offer

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
no, i just don't associate with narcs

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

no, i just don't associate with narcs

no this was for blowing poo poo up i think

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

any enemy of the fbi is a friend of mine

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

i am reading the works of montessori now and it's just like talking to an italian irl, by which i mean she waxes lyrical about cosmology and philosophy and the human condition and i'm like "hell yeah!" and then she'll be like "you know who was a great teacher who really understood the power of inspiring youth to revolutionize a culture? hitler!"

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

a strange fowl posted:

i am reading the works of montessori now and it's just like talking to an italian irl, by which i mean she waxes lyrical about cosmology and philosophy and the human condition and i'm like "hell yeah!" and then she'll be like "you know who was a great teacher who really understood the power of inspiring youth to revolutionize a culture? hitler!"

I assume it's like reading Kollontai and you get to the eugenics bit

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Ted Kaczynski was a REASON and LOGIC guy before his time. In another world he would be a math professor with terrible ratings.

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

mawarannahr posted:

I assume it's like reading Kollontai and you get to the eugenics bit
there's a bit of that too. "all children universally will be helped by my method. except for the ones with inborn defects, the criminals and the insane. gently caress those guys tbh"

still better than steiner though

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

i am not sure how someone (both montessori and steiner) can devote their lives to studying how to produce clever, engaged, well-behaved, community-minded children, and then specifically point at the jews as a culture that has nothing to offer

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
as someone born into both the jewish and asian child raising tradition, i have to note that it does produce all of that, but it seems almost custom made to produce incredibly neurotic people. myself not excepted

Aurubin posted:

Ted Kaczynski was a REASON and LOGIC guy before his time. In another world he would be a math professor with terrible ratings.

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

"they are just the woof of a people" maria please

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

as someone born into both the jewish and asian child raising tradition, i have to note that it does produce all of that, but it seems almost custom made to produce incredibly neurotic people. myself not excepted
lol, same on all counts. it's even worse when you grow up separated from the culture, because then there's no rhyme or reason to what parts slip through, it's just "you must be a doctor! worship your grandmother! ALL SHAME ALL THE TIME" but without the cultural connective tissue that makes sense of it all.

e: we were pretending to be catholic at the time, which made it even worse

a strange fowl fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jun 11, 2023

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

meanwhile my dad's main teaching was "at any moment you could die. you might even get murdered. and that's ok!" and giving me the entire works of clive barker at age 11

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
it amazes me how much jewish character my mom's family kept despite the catholic church requiring my grandmother not to talk about it

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

pants

a strange fowl fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jul 28, 2023

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

quote:

For a period of several weeks in 1966, Kaczynski experienced intense sexual fantasies of being female and decided to undergo gender transition. He arranged to meet with a psychiatrist, but changed his mind in the waiting room and did not disclose his reason for making the appointment. Afterwards, enraged, he considered killing the psychiatrist and other people whom he hated. Kaczynski described this episode as a "major turning point" in his life

rob desanctus has caused several unabombers

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

realistically that's not the reason that teddy boomboom did what he did, but I am willing to slander transphobes because they are fuckheads who suck turds

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

I meant that his students would hate him, not his analytical abilities.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

a strange fowl posted:

:unsmith:

i used to have a big inferiority complex because my family spent so long wandering in the desert of catholicism, then when i finally rejoined the community they were like "oh lol lots of people had to do that". we dropped out in the end because they stopped giving the mass in latin, the old ladies could finally understand what they were saying and realised it was bullshit. my great-grandmother summoned several priests to her apartment to explain to her what had happened to all the people in hell now that a bunch of mortal sins had been de-classified. were they stuck in hell unjustly forever, or were they going to get a re-trial? the priests couldn't tell her, so she ragequit and took the rest of us with her

badass

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

old ladies have a societal obligation to be a menace. some use it for good, some for evil

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
Was chatting with a old lady once when working front facing and a guy came up behind her and, of course, he knew he had no choice but to wait. At one point she picked up my ques and looked back, directly at him then turned back and continued chatting for a few minutes more until she was done. absolute boss move

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

a strange fowl posted:

meanwhile my dad's main teaching was "at any moment you could die. you might even get murdered. and that's ok!" and giving me the entire works of clive barker at age 11
Early UEngine game Undying ftw

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

Homeless Friend posted:

Was chatting with a old lady once when working front facing and a guy came up behind her and, of course, he knew he had no choice but to wait. At one point she picked up my ques and looked back, directly at him then turned back and continued chatting for a few minutes more until she was done. absolute boss move
absolutely nobody stops old ladies from chatting at the checkout. some assistants enjoy it (i did) and the old ladies have a laser instinct for recognizing them. if they've found a cashier who likes a chat, jesus himself could not get them to finish up the conversation before they're ready

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

dad also gave me the whole of the clan of the cave bear series when i was 9. i learnt a lot about the world that summer break

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

a strange fowl posted:

dad also gave me the whole of the clan of the cave bear series when i was 9. i learnt a lot about the world that summer break

oof, i haven't read past the first one. i hear they get even more adult in the sequels, but i find that hard to imagine

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

a strange fowl posted:

I read those around that age, maybe even a bit earlier.

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

oof, i haven't read past the first one. i hear they get even more adult in the sequels, but i find that hard to imagine

They do, but in more of a romantic way

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

DeadlyMuffin posted:

I read those around that age, maybe even a bit earlier.
they taught me everything i know about sex and about hunting megafauna

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

a strange fowl posted:

they taught me everything i know about sex and about hunting megafauna

One of those skills is supposed to be useful in Australia

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
guy who is pretty sure that he is a p zombie and it's everyone else that has consciousness

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Cease to Hope posted:

guy who is pretty sure that he is a p zombie and it's everyone else that has consciousness

Makes more sense than the other way around

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

I read the first book and stopped in the middle of the second. I don't remember why, maybe the main character was a Mary Sue? Maybe she started having some magical powers?

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

kiminewt posted:

I read the first book and stopped in the middle of the second. I don't remember why, maybe the main character was a Mary Sue? Maybe she started having some magical powers?
the second book is basically her inventing everything on earth and taming a bunch of dangerous animals

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
i vividly remember one of those isekai style western books where music=magic (felt like it was written by high school music teacher hyping their own poo poo) and their big 'invention from the modern world' was creating hoover dam via magic. i put it down after that because i felt leaving it there was a great ending. random library trash books ftmfw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
the only isekai which should be allowed is the subgenre where the protagonist ends up the villain in an otome game, imho