Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Astryl posted:

This game probably needed another six months to a year to have all of the features they originally promised.

But Blizzard desperately needed a win due to all their other issues and regardless of all of that, review wise and sales wise, this game is likely to give them that, and possibly another GOTY.

It'd have a good shot at goty if it wasn't already locked down as hard as Elden Ring locked down last year for sure.

D4's a good game and has potential to carry Diablo onward another decade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

Gejimayu posted:

Just unlocked the barbarian expertise system thingy. So, if I want to use the 2h Sword bonus, and I equip it, will the expertise level up for it when I use other weapons, or do I have to be actively using a 2h sword for the experience? I'm thoroughly enjoying HotA but can't do that with a 2h sword and my expertise level is only 1 on that weapon type.

you have to use a 2h sword to get the expertise levels

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

Mustached Demon posted:

It'd have a good shot at goty if it wasn't already locked down as hard as Elden Ring locked down last year for sure.

D4's a good game and has potential to carry Diablo onward another decade.

I mean, can you imagine if it's NOT Tears of the Kingdom?

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

isk posted:

This isn't directed at you, it's about the sentiment (as it comes up in discussion on occasion):

We don't know all the problems that arose during development. We haven't seen most that were solved (and even that "most" isn't "all" only due to the Betas and some reporting). We only see the issues that remain; even those have subjective impact. 4 years sounds like a long time, and it is, but this game is complex as hell. Only by knowing the sum total of issues - and with the same timing and information depth as when they happened - can we make a fair and accurate assessment.

Note that I'm far from a Blizzard apologist. I worked there for a decade. Kotick and Ybarra should rot, Morhaime was (probably) complicit to a degree, Brack was unequipped, Metzen was a creative bully, and the org as a whole has overprioritized their dev teams while underserving their ancillary staff.

can we get more info on metzen being a creative bully? it was always kinda funny seeing him strut around like a rockstar when he had thrall the self-insert and was seemingly responsible for so much of blizzard's poor writing

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

isk posted:

I'm aware (though bringing up the amount of time for development does speak to corporate culture and software development of a company). To only look at the end result is reductive and unfair, and it ultimately doesn't help the users

The only thing that matters for users is "the end result". Whatever it may be like in a hypothetical future is completely irrelevant. Sure its likely that a lot of the problems may be fixed in the future, but until that happens it's got nothing to do with anyone playing the game now, and to be honest given Blizzard's history they're just as likely to gently caress poo poo up in other new and exciting ways that make everything worse.

Yes, there's a lot of decent/good things in the game, but pretending that there aren't a lot of problems with it as well is loving stupid.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Mighty disappointed in Sorc, especially coming off playing D3 Wiz last season

Shoulda gone Rogue

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Anyone else having skills just not activating sometime? Like poison creeper will be off cooldown but feels like I have to mash the button between 2-4 times before it actually casts... and no I'm not stunned.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010

Avalerion posted:

Anyone else having skills just not activating sometime? Like poison creeper will be off cooldown but feels like I have to mash the button between 2-4 times before it actually casts... and no I'm not stunned.

On controller, and yeah, same here. Sometimes my character just looks like there stuck in an animation and then the attack comes out. Seems to happen when there is a lot of enemies on screen so maybe it's lag or something.

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

Wheeee posted:

Mighty disappointed in Sorc, especially coming off playing D3 Wiz last season

Shoulda gone Rogue

you dont like endlessly pressing a generator and using your 4 defensives to survive or pressing ice shards and using your 4 defensives to survive?

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Red Mundus posted:

On controller, and yeah, same here. Sometimes my character just looks like there stuck in an animation and then the attack comes out. Seems to happen when there is a lot of enemies on screen so maybe it's lag or something.

Same

Mehrunes
Aug 4, 2004
Fun Shoe
I finally made it to the boss of the first capstone dungeon. I think he one-shot me with something on the first try. He was down to like the last third on the second try and then he just disappeared. Now what?

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Mehrunes posted:

I finally made it to the boss of the first capstone dungeon. I think he one-shot me with something on the first try. He was down to like the last third on the second try and then he just disappeared. Now what?

Are you a necro? Pretty sure someone posted a while ago that necro minions can cause him to despawn

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

KajiTheMelonMan posted:

I mean, can you imagine if it's NOT Tears of the Kingdom?

Might be a bit early but FFXVI is likely in that conversation from what's been shown and how reviewers have talked about what they've played during the preview period.

There's also the possibility that if starfield launches relatively bug free it could be in the Convo, and of course Baldurs Gate 3 launches as well.

Fangthane
May 16, 2007
Be true, Unbeliever.

Mehrunes posted:

This happened to me twice. The hotfix from today claims to have fixed it. In any case, there's nothing you can do but reset the dungeon and hope it doesn't happen again. Try grabbing some help to kill him before he has the chance to bug out. That's what I finally had to do on attempt 4 after two falling through the world and one game crash forced to to clear it all again.

Mehrunes
Aug 4, 2004
Fun Shoe

Gadzuko posted:

Are you a necro? Pretty sure someone posted a while ago that necro minions can cause him to despawn

Yeah I'm a summoner. I already respecced to shadow and half of my equipment is minion based.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Horizon Burning posted:

can we get more info on metzen being a creative bully? it was always kinda funny seeing him strut around like a rockstar when he had thrall the self-insert and was seemingly responsible for so much of blizzard's poor writing

Comfortable sharing some of the broad strokes, sure. As early as Burning Crusade, he habitually overprioritized his ideas over others'. It was less that other people's ideas were consistently bad/expensive/incongruent, and more about territoriality and excessive/misplaced pride. His story is not unlike that of his contemporaries; he made his name by being above average in his professional youth (e.g. Warcraft II & III, WoW, etc.), he got high on his own farts (the first hints of which were in StarCraft II, if not his interminable "GEEK IS ____" speech at BlizzCon), and his creative entropy rendered him obsolete.

Interpersonally he is a warm, magnetic dude. Professionally I never want to be anywhere near him again (at least until he learns to trust way more than he historically has).

Tornhelm posted:

The only thing that matters for users is "the end result". Whatever it may be like in a hypothetical future is completely irrelevant. Sure its likely that a lot of the problems may be fixed in the future, but until that happens it's got nothing to do with anyone playing the game now, and to be honest given Blizzard's history they're just as likely to gently caress poo poo up in other new and exciting ways that make everything worse.

Yes, there's a lot of decent/good things in the game, but pretending that there aren't a lot of problems with it as well is loving stupid.

I agree a hypothetical future is irrelevant; it's why I didn't bring one up! I also agree pretending there aren't problems is bad. It's OK to point them out (as long as it doesn't devolve into threadshitting). Since we seem to be talking past each other a bit, I'll clarify: my initial crux involves the 4 year timeframe. While it's on the longer end of a game dev cycle, we don't yet know if it was reasonable given the project's complexity and scope. Maybe they generally did the high level things right and needed more time. Perhaps COVID had an outsized impact given the studio culture (and the historic nature of the event, but that's a bigger topic). Or there could've been systemic mismanagement.

Point is, it's cool to say "this game needed more time in the oven" or "golly they were inefficient"; we just can't say either yet based on the publicly-available info. Assessing the sufficiency of a 4-year cycle based on the current state of the game is reductive.

Avalerion posted:

Yep! I most often experience it when there's even the slightest obstruction around myself and/or the thing I'm targeting. It's not anything expected like a closed door, it's more like a fraction of a corner. In cases like that, Shift + <button> usually work for me.

Mehrunes
Aug 4, 2004
Fun Shoe

Fangthane posted:

The hotfix from today claims to have fixed it.

When was this hotfix, I ran into the problem at around 6 mountain time.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

isk posted:

I'm aware (though bringing up the amount of time for development does speak to corporate culture and software development of a company). To only look at the end result is reductive and unfair, and it ultimately doesn't help the users

:roflolmao:

i bought a product, not shares of a company

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Got into world tier 4 at level 63 - kinda rough going but should I tough it out?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Poke your head around for sure, maybe look for a world event that has other people around to carry you. The jump in power of ancestral gear is pretty huge compared to sacred, so if you can find just a couple pieces it will start to snowball.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

WarpedLichen posted:

Got into world tier 4 at level 63 - kinda rough going but should I tough it out?

IMO if you're causing Public Events to fail, go ahead and dip back to WT3 for a bit. If you can leech w/o harming, it may only take a few Helltide Mystery chests to reach critical mass. If nothing else, you could get some nice Ancestral gear to help you power through to ~68 in WT3

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
1) i appreciate that that one horadrim guy in act 2 is very fat and out of shape
2) act 2 presumably final boss, goddamn. with the leveling scaling and all i might actually have to get a little good

on the plus side my first toon is a rogue leaning into poison trap, so

McLarenF1
Jan 9, 2004

Looking to Buy a McLaren, Anyone Selling One .... Cheap?
God drat I'm loving this game!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivyDfEdWtBA

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Brother you have to kill the shaman. Not only is he reviving everyone you kill but he's also giving them 50% more HP lmao.

Mehrunes
Aug 4, 2004
Fun Shoe
Is there an easy non-minion respec for summoner necros to get past the cathedral of light softlock?

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Mehrunes posted:

Is there an easy non-minion respec for summoner necros to get past the cathedral of light softlock?

I used bone spear, tendrils, the curse that makes them do less damage, and corpse explosion of course. Take the passives that buff core skills, bone skills, and defensives. Going blood mist may have been better than the curse, but I was too enamored with the passive that let me do more damage to cursed enemies.

I did use reaper skeletons though and had no problem with the boss despawning. Also this was supposedly hotfixed 4 hours ago.

Shredder
Sep 14, 2000

Avalerion posted:

Thought something was wrong with my keyboard, glad to know it's not just me. It's super frustrating because I am constantly spamming skeleton/explosion.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Shredder posted:

Thought something was wrong with my keyboard, glad to know it's not just me. It's super frustrating because I am constantly spamming skeleton/explosion.

I get it pretty often.
My favourite is when static bolts just casts and nothing comes out - just plays the animation for fun.

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
my monads are fully functional
:skeltal: Necropinons :skeltal:

Minion builds are super fun when leveling. It feels good having you and 12 skelebros and a golem big bro kicking rear end through dungeons. Also, they aren't nearly as crap at end-game as the meme meta would suggest. They are totally viable to run at T4. However, they just aren't very efficient. Damage is lackluster at best, but the biggest thing at least in my opinion is that they are annoying to play when target management is critical.

I'm not sure what the best way to fix this would be but being to order them around at least to the extent of attacking the target you're currently attacking would help a lot. Another thing that would help: some way of teleporting all the stupid little guys next to you. Right now they'll happily just attack immune mobs and that feels bad.

Bone spirit and Bone spear are the meta builds for a reason: they really kick rear end - especially late end-game bone spirit. But it's a shame that blood and shadow builds (much more so blood) are in such a bad shape. It'd just be nice to have a little more variety. Not every build is going to be great at any one time but elevating the lesser used builds would be nice.

Lastly, for the love of all that is holy Blizzard, please give us some movement love. Maybe something to swap places with a minion? Maybe Bone storm turns into a freaking bone tornado and speeds us up? I don't really care what it is but always playing catchup with every other class like the perpetual little brother who can't keep up on his bike is not great.

Overall, Necros own but could own even more.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Shredder posted:

Hell, sometimes the game ignores space bar -> horse sprint a couple of times.

Been a few days since I've seen the "also you can't move" issue after mounting in towns, at least.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

The whole 'no traversal/horse' speed in towns poo poo is obnoxious.
There are so many annoying little things that add up to be infuriating.
Delayed horse after you had to climb under a rock.
The pointless slow exit from portals.
The needless freeze in movement when you get dehorsed by a doorway.
Even poo poo like having a cast time on using friend portals.
It's all minor little incidences but they add up.

Mehrunes
Aug 4, 2004
Fun Shoe
I managed to beat the Curator with minions just now so it might be fixed, maybe.

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
my monads are fully functional

DarkDobe posted:

The whole 'no traversal/horse' speed in towns poo poo is obnoxious.
There are so many annoying little things that add up to be infuriating.
Delayed horse after you had to climb under a rock.
The pointless slow exit from portals.
The needless freeze in movement when you get dehorsed by a doorway.
Even poo poo like having a cast time on using friend portals.
It's all minor little incidences but they add up.

All complaints should be done in freeverse format imo

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
Yeah I've noticed that sometimes my barb gets stuck finishing the lunging strike attack animation and won't accept any input for a second until it's done. Weird and yet another reason not to play hardcore

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Hello friends sorry if it's been asked, but is a total wind druid build viable? Not just Storm, but full in on Wind Shear, Tornado, Cyclone armor, etc, without any earth or shapeshifting if possible. Maybe a little lightning as a treat.

I'm roughly lvl 25 and right now it feels a bit...dangerous. But I just like blowing people.

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

The final chapter, man. I can't remember the last time I just sat in awe of a cutscene. I hate saying that about a Blizzard game in 2023.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

BrianWilly posted:

Hello friends sorry if it's been asked, but is a total wind druid build viable? Not just Storm, but full in on Wind Shear, Tornado, Cyclone armor, etc, without any earth or shapeshifting if possible. Maybe a little lightning as a treat.

I'm roughly lvl 25 and right now it feels a bit...dangerous. But I just like blowing people.
Tornado seems like the weakest of the core skills, but it might be fun to try and see if you can get something working.

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE

BrianWilly posted:

Stormwolf (you're a perma werewolf and cast tornados nonstop) is incredibly strong at endgame but idk about wind during leveling.

as for lightning

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4NTYpbV4OA

The Ol Spicy Keychain fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Jun 12, 2023

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

Valicious posted:

I have a physical disability where I can’t use my hands, so I use an Xbox controller (just the L-stick to move) and mouse+kb. My problem is that the game stops accepting mouse or keyboard input whenever the controller is used. This results in me being unable to move and use abilities at the same time. Is there any way I can get around this? I’ve played tons of games (Cyberpunk, FFXIV, many more) that natively support both input sources at once.

You might use something like antimicro to map keys to controller inputs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IAMNOTADOCTOR
Sep 26, 2013

BrianWilly posted:

I'm a lvl 35 druid with literally only wind stuff, focusing on stuff that activate on vulnerable and it owns imo.

After 30 min of switching to this build a legendary dropped that makes tornado homing.

Game is very good