Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Unreal_One posted:

It is, without a sale, $13. It's worth that much.

Hard disagree, it’s barely a game. There are a small handful of what could generously be called physics puzzles over the entire run time and that’s it.

It’s a VN with a hole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

History Comes Inside! posted:

It’s a VN with a hole.

I know Nintendo has been more permissive on the eShop recently but I’m pretty sure you still need to go to Steam to find VNs that show hole

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Artix posted:

Case of the Golden Idol literally just got a switch port and scratches a very similar itch to Obra Dinn.

Ok I'll look into it! Thanks.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Just found the master sword in TotK, very cool and I'm glad I didn't look it up beforehand.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

Hard disagree, it’s barely a game. There are a small handful of what could generously be called physics puzzles over the entire run time and that’s it.

It’s a VN with a hole.

and even that is a major insult to VNs lol. you could probably fit the entire script of the game into a handful of tweets

a lot of people use "Flash game" as an insult about a game's graphics, but Donut Country genuinely feels like something you'd find on Newgrounds. It has exactly one "trick" and one joke to make, and it repeats itself across a handful of levels that last about 10 minutes each, and then it's done

not a bad experience, but yeah, don't spend more than a few dollars on it

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Inzombiac posted:

Yeah I know but I'm tired of the hassle. Plus I only play handheld usually, so this is a nice solution.

Give us a trip report when you have a chance! I freaking love 3rd party controllers because the stock ones are really bad

If these have gyro we're in biz

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Lethemonster posted:

I was looking at Cult of the Lamb and Diablo 2 in the sale. I know Cult had some problems with framerate etc on switch when it launched, has that been fixed? Would you guys recommend I get it in a different platform instead?

And how did many of you find Diablo 2? One of my most obsessively played games as a kid and I like the idea of doing runs while I'm curled up in bed. Fun on switch or should I stick to pc and mods like the old days?

I've just played through Cult of the Lamb. Performance wise, there were no problems. It is however fundamentally not a terribly good game. The two parts, the cult simulator and the isaac-like dungeon crawling, both feel undercooked and don't mesh together particularly well. Worse, both parts feel like they have been fundamentally compromised to squeeze them into the one game. The worst part though is that the combat is melee based, and that just doesn't work with the loosey goosey Isaac style movement.

It does have a really cool art style, and that drew in a lot of fans.

Give it a pass, is my advice.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

KingSlime posted:

Give us a trip report when you have a chance! I freaking love 3rd party controllers because the stock ones are really bad

If these have gyro we're in biz
Post in the controller thread mlord

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I was hiding under your bench because I don't want to work out
drat, I'd heard the opposite bout Cult of the Lamb in that it was really good fun but ran like garbage. I will have to peruse the rest of the sale. Might try the new AI Somnium game, see if it was better than the first, which I thought started well and then dove off a cliff.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i'll contradict the last post and say that cult of the lamb was perfectly fine. it's not a classic roguelite in that you'll have done everything there is to do in around 30 hours at most, but the mechanics are breezy and everything works well together

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
If you are into the idea of poop eating, then play cult of the lamb. That's 1/2 the game.

Science_enthusiast
Dec 2, 2018

TECH(no) WOMBLE

Waltzing Along posted:

If you are into the idea of poop eating, then play cult of the lamb. That's 1/2 the game.

Oh cool, i can finally get my dog into videogames

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Science_enthusiast posted:

Oh cool, i can finally get my dog into videogames

Must be a German shepherd?

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Ugh, I wish king of seas was less buggy. I really enjoy the sailing/fighting/upgrade game loop, but the freezes and crashes and save losses just make it lovely.

Science_enthusiast
Dec 2, 2018

TECH(no) WOMBLE

VelociBacon posted:

Must be a German shepherd?

English setter. From the research I have done it is a fetish he has developed all on his own and isnt a known issue for his breed.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Dear Nintendo
Ya got anything coming after Pikmin 4?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I bought that 2 vouchers deal to get a discount on TOTK and am having a hard time thinking about what to get next

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Upsidads posted:

Dear Nintendo

Mother 3 official TL, you heard it here first

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

My labrador eats poo too, it's the worst

She picked up the habit when she had puppies and ate their poo bc that is apparently a maternal instinct for dogs!!

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

symbolic posted:

Mother 3 official TL, you heard it here first

That would be nice. Especially since I’ve been planning to start it soon.
Couldn’t they just turn one of those AI translators loose on it or something?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Vintersorg posted:

Then I’ll run thru the tracks in 15 minutes and demand more.

MK9 please.

I keep getting that mixed up and now picturing Scorpion as a guest racer.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I want Nintendo to do a Mother 3 remake instead.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

otter posted:

Fancy autocomplete can just about stay coherent and correct in English across a span of paragraphs why in the world would anyone expect it to do a useful translation of something as complex as an entire game’s script

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

Fancy autocomplete can just about stay coherent and correct in English across a span of paragraphs why in the world would anyone expect it to do a useful translation of something as complex as an entire game’s script

It seems logical if I can aim my phone at Japanese text and it can translate it at that moment, a much faster computer using more advanced translation capabilities could do even better. Presuming they preserved the source code for the game (pause for laughter) they could in theory have a human translator look at it and check how much of it makes sense. Now of course that is just translation and not localization so there’s more work to be done. But didn’t Starmen offer to lat Nintendo use their translation free? I’d love to see it remade like link’s awakening style. Mother 2, also.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Katamari today let’s go baby

Edit: sad news about the game, the cousins are just reskins of the prince now. They don’t have different body shapes like they used to. Head shapes are different at least.

Are we playing the same game?

https://twitter.com/EvilBillMurray/status/1668210900808126465?t=YCYHZamJ3n8Yxbk6erRw4g&s=19

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I keep getting that mixed up and now picturing Scorpion as a guest racer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIQQaZRxlqA

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

I bought that 2 vouchers deal to get a discount on TOTK and am having a hard time thinking about what to get next

They’re valid for a year, you don’t have to decide now. Nintendo usually has a surprise fall game announcement, you can wait and see what’s coming.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Science_enthusiast posted:

English setter. From the research I have done it is a fetish he has developed all on his own and isnt a known issue for his breed.

It's a primary feature of all dogs.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

So I have a Zelda question, but haven't caught up with the Main Zelda Thread due to NewGameSyndrome. I'm not sure if it should go here or not. I understand that the Switch version of Ocarina of Time has been mostly fixed. It still has a bit of input lag, but it seems relatively minor. I also have my Wii-U still hooked up and remember I have the game on the VC for Wii-U as well. As far as ports go, how does the Wii-U VC version rate? Is it a good version of the game, or are there some platform specific issues similar to when it first came out on Switch? I played it for a few minutes the other day and it seems to have minor input lag, and the graphics aren't upscaled, but otherwise seems fine?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Upsidads posted:

Dear Nintendo

They don't OP. Nintendo is shutting down.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

chaosapiant posted:

So I have a Zelda question, but haven't caught up with the Main Zelda Thread due to NewGameSyndrome. I'm not sure if it should go here or not. I understand that the Switch version of Ocarina of Time has been mostly fixed. It still has a bit of input lag, but it seems relatively minor. I also have my Wii-U still hooked up and remember I have the game on the VC for Wii-U as well. As far as ports go, how does the Wii-U VC version rate? Is it a good version of the game, or are there some platform specific issues similar to when it first came out on Switch? I played it for a few minutes the other day and it seems to have minor input lag, and the graphics aren't upscaled, but otherwise seems fine?

The Switch OoT is really hard to play with the Switch controllers. The buttons just don't really matchup in good way making is a little frustration.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Super-NintendoUser posted:

The Switch OoT is really hard to play with the Switch controllers. The buttons just don't really matchup in good way making is a little frustration.

They don't but they also have been using this configuration in rereleases since like 2007 or whenever it came out on WiiWare so I've gotten used to it

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I mean, it's not like I don't have the game on 3DS, which I'd probably consider the "definitive" version of the game, but I don't enjoy playing handhelds that much, unless I'm traveling. If I'm home, and I usually am since I work at home, then I like to play at either my computer or my TV. And I actually prefer that the Wii-U version isn't upscaled compared to the Switch version. The Switch version looks sharper, but the blurry graphics of the Wii-U VC version tend to work better with the low res textures and polygons.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

otter posted:

i do not trust AI translation to do a fully accurate job, and perfect TL absolutely matters to some people

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Super-NintendoUser posted:

Using the right stick as a C-buttons proxy is rarely satisfying. Works ok for Mario 64 I guess.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

otter posted:

lol

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
Whole bunch of sales happening for Switch at the moment - Sega Ages series, Capcom, Metroid Dread, SMT 5, Shiren 5

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Ace no longer has a pointy butt as per his description and the strawberry cousin is no longer shaped like a strawberry. I was sounding the alarms when I first learned of that but the rest seem to be fine. Not sure why they changed those two.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
85 hours into the new Zelda and I barely saw the Big Cutscene lol holy gently caress this game is massive. Prime Time Ganondorf has an amazing presence as the big baddie

Hell I still have two dungeons to go and parts of the map that are grayed out because I haven't even been there yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

KingSlime posted:

85 hours into the new Zelda and I barely saw the Big Cutscene lol holy gently caress this game is massive. Prime Time Ganondorf has an amazing presence for a bad guy

Hell I still have two dungeons to go and parts of the map that are grayed out because I haven't even been there yet.

I just drunkenly explore the map every night. Too many things to do, gotta collect the map first.

These fuckin sky view towers need to fix their poo poo.