Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
People are going to poo poo on Haney but he may have won the fight on a round by round basis. I didn’t score the fight, but Haney did seem to win a lot of the early rounds while he was still fresh.

But in terms of who won the narrative, who closed stronger, and who actually “won” the fight, clearly it’s Lomachenko.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

loma didn't look magical, but he looked solid. pretty sus scorecards, gotta love boxing

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Ok I saw the official cards and they are criminally bad, emphasis on criminal. Moretti specifically gave Haney 3 of the last 4 rounds, including the 10th, which was Loma’s best or second best round and had him visibly hurting Haney.

Fuckin boxing. There needs to be more than a half a dozen guys who never have their picture taken or give interviews that judge fights.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
Great, fun fight, I feel the correct fighter won.

Art Core...velay
Jun 16, 2013
twitter made me think this was the worst robbery since bradley/pacquiao but after watching 115-113 haney seems perfectly fair

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

Art Core...velay posted:

twitter made me think this was the worst robbery since bradley/pacquiao but after watching 115-113 haney seems perfectly fair

Honestly it's not the final scores that are bad, but which rounds went to which fighters that makes it baffling.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

balancedbias posted:

Honestly it's not the final scores that are bad, but which rounds went to which fighters that makes it baffling.

Yeah like I said I can conceivably see giving Haney the nod, but when you look at the actual cards they are complete BS.

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

Cigar Aficionado posted:

Ok I saw the official cards and they are criminally bad, emphasis on criminal. Moretti specifically gave Haney 3 of the last 4 rounds, including the 10th, which was Loma’s best or second best round and had him visibly hurting Haney.

Fuckin boxing. There needs to be more than a half a dozen guys who never have their picture taken or give interviews that judge fights.

Moretti in particular has been really terrible judging fights. I can’t recall any recent fights he’s judged competently.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
I’m still at the point where I’ll believe this when I see the first punch but seems like a legit possibility
https://twitter.com/mikecoppinger/status/1661148759722545152?s=46

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
Based on this and other sources it seems like this is the closest they've been to this being official but, as was already said, you just can't believe it until one (both) of them actually announce it through their channels

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
We are now officially official gentlemen

https://twitter.com/terencecrawford/status/1661781198316929024?t=SFrYBeQI6i9ZWwBYviSvKg&s=19

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Crawford in round 11

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
https://twitter.com/MatchroomBoxing/status/1662064479121846272

Does this happen a lot? Seems weird.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

just watched the haney/loma card, first time I've watched any fights in a while

jesus christ that judging in the main event

I had a bunch of points to make about good poo poo (and not-so-good poo poo) I saw in the undercard, but now I've completely forgotten about it

coathat
May 21, 2007

https://twitter.com/KSW_MMA/status/1665056095541563392?s=20

Thought yall would like to see a boxer pull off the impossible in mma

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
There's something you don't see every day.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Seeking hot takes for Josh Taylor-Teofimo Lopez

I'm thinking that Taylor probably isn't as good as when he went through the WBSS but he will still wash Lopez who is going through a very messy divorce and overall seems to be a very bad place mentally, probably even worse then when he lost to Kambosos.

https://twitter.com/MrMoonshine10/status/1663550877746204673

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

The SituAsian posted:

Seeking hot takes for Josh Taylor-Teofimo Lopez

I'm thinking that Taylor probably isn't as good as when he went through the WBSS but he will still wash Lopez who is going through a very messy divorce and overall seems to be a very bad place mentally, probably even worse then when he lost to Kambosos.

Well, about that...

Lopez showed out for the last 6 rounds of that fight. drat that was impressive.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

balancedbias posted:

Well, about that...

Lopez showed out for the last 6 rounds of that fight. drat that was impressive.

Up until the ring bell I was 'bet the house' levels of confident in Josh Taylor by UD but Teofimo went back to the old him for sure and it seems Taylor was rusty and having trouble with his stamina. Honestly once Lopez gets through with his legal issues (with his pretty messy public divorce) I'd love to see him against Devin Haney, the rematch against Lomachenko or any of the 140 lb. champions.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Josh Taylor is tough as nails, and got his rear end kicked tonight. He did not try whatsoever to utilize his advantages - height, length, technical ability - and instead pursued a futile game-plan of trying to out-brawl a guy who is stronger, more explosive, hits harder - you name it. Seriously odd to see Taylor come in to this fight with this type of approach, and he paid the price for it. I was actually surprised he didn't end up getting knocked out, especially in the 12th, where he took some massive shots. Credit to his toughness, but he's going to age overnight from this fight.

Teofimo Lopez is a bizarre talent. He seems to fight up (or down) to the level of his opposition. He's still only 25 years old and the sky is the limit for him at 140. Hopefully he can keep his personal life in check for long enough for some more good performances. I personally would love to see him fight Regis Prograis next. I think he can win that fight too.

As for Taylor, hard to say where he goes from here. He took a real beating tonight, and with him going on 33 years old, his best is probably behind him. A rematch with Jack Catterall is probably his best bet, although he did mention he is planning to move up in weight, which I don't like for him. I don't see him having anything for Spence, Crawford, Ennis, etc. He'll take more beatings at 147 against the top of that division. At 140, he still has physical advantages against an overall weaker level of opposition.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

the tookover

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

So uh, what's the deal with that Mayweather exhibition?

edit for reference: https://dubz.co/c/60a97f

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

lmfao

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Tweak posted:

ok i know the chaos is the story but why in the gently caress did the ref stop this

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Lid posted:

ok i know the chaos is the story but why in the gently caress did the ref stop this

best i can guess is repeatedly ignoring referee instruction?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
They were jarring at each other and Gotti was not listening, yah.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Obey my commands at all times

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
maybe the crowd was about to riot after watching 6 of what I can only assume were some of the worst rounds in the history of boxing

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I’m glad Mayweather’s team got in there and protected him from that guy who couldn’t land a punch on him in 100 years

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Tweak posted:

lmao drat now I wish I had watched this

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Jump King posted:

I’m glad Mayweather’s team got in there and protected him from that guy who couldn’t land a punch on him in 100 years

It almost looks like both Mayweather and Gotti were okay with just continuing since lmao what kind of ref waves off an exhibition fight for too much grabbing when both guys want to keep going.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
Kenny Bayless's stock sure has fallen.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Regis Prograis wins one of the worst fights I’ve ever seen against +1600 underdog Danielito Zorrilla. Prograis looked bothered by Zorrilla’s size, length, and movement, much like Josh Taylor bothered Prograis. He doesn’t throw nearly enough jabs and struggles to get inside, which is alarming considering he’s a smallish junior welterweight.

A win is a win though, and he’s still in line to fight big names at 140 (Haney, Garcia, Lopez)

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Personally I had him losing that fight, got countered coming in constantly

Tim Tszyu meanwhile just completely obliterated Ocampo

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Jump King posted:

Tim Tszyu meanwhile just completely obliterated Ocampo

I don't know what to make of Tim. He has this ugly style that is pretty devastating and obviously a tough riddle to solve.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

He’s a pressure fighter and the thing with pressure fighters is that they don’t have to be the most refined guys if they can punch hard and stay in front of you.

We didn’t get to see it here but I was really impressed how good he was at keeping the pressure on evenly for the entire fight against Harrison. Very hard to win against guys who grind you down like that. Joe Louis and Golovkin were both great at that, not saying that Tim Tszyu is the same as those guys, but it’s his pressure that makes him hard to deal with.

Charlo’s counterpunching could be a big problem for him if Charlo is still in good fighting form.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Tim benefits from competing in a mediocre tweener division. Guys with his style tend to hit a ceiling eventually as they run into more talented guys who can stay one or more steps ahead of them. But there aren't a lot of guys at 154 who will be able to do that to Tim. I'm not convinced Charlo can do it either tbh.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

The Ninth Layer posted:

Tim benefits from competing in a mediocre tweener division. Guys with his style tend to hit a ceiling eventually as they run into more talented guys who can stay one or more steps ahead of them. But there aren't a lot of guys at 154 who will be able to do that to Tim. I'm not convinced Charlo can do it either tbh.

i honestly think that you're under-selling tim here. don't get me wrong, i almost agree, but being a threat to charlo is pretty special. he's an exciting fighter and i don't know why the general attitude towards him is so negative.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Marching Powder posted:

i honestly think that you're under-selling tim here. don't get me wrong, i almost agree, but being a threat to charlo is pretty special. he's an exciting fighter and i don't know why the general attitude towards him is so negative.

You're probably right I'm mostly just a hater of the 154 lb weight class lol. Tim is legit. He's come a long way in the last year or two and his promotional team deserves credit for positioning him as a star of the division alongside Charlo. He looks better and better every fight too, which is a great sign in any young fighter because it means he's yet to hit his peak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
As it seems to have no end in sight, I've come around to thinking that the long layoff will hurt Charlo more than any benefits that could be gained from "studying" Tszyu. Between that and Tim staying active, I'm convinced it's a toss-up now where I was always leaning towards Jermell.