Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Alchenar posted:

I think what sets Paradox games apart is that expansion is not necessarily the end goal, and in many games is often discouraged.

I think that’s true in only crusader kings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Alchenar posted:

I think what sets Paradox games apart is that expansion is not necessarily the end goal, and in many games is often discouraged.

You can say the same about Civ 5

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

GrossMurpel posted:

Yeah for me personally, "grand strategy" is forever cemented as "just what we decided to call this niche of real-time nation-level strategy" because that's what the EU3 tutorial said :v:

better than learning from the HoI3 tutorial

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
The "Grand" in Grand Strategy refers to the amount of time it takes you to play a game until the end. You can play for thousands of hours and not complete a single game, it doesn't get grander than that!

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

feller posted:

I think that’s true in only crusader kings.

I'd say it's truer in Victoria than CK but yeah it's hardly a common theme.

StashAugustine posted:

I'd argue that 4x are a subset of grand strategy but are significantly more common that non-4X grand strategy. They hit basically all the markers (controlling a polity's economy politics and military with a broader scope than a single conflict) but specifically focus on starting with a small entity in an unknown environment with peer enemies on an even footing. Stellaris is basically a 4x, while Europa Universalis isn't despite having some exploration elements

Yeah, I think this is a big part of the distinction for me- 4Xes have small, symmetrical starts and largely empty worlds, whereas GSGs have preexisting contexts and histories and balances of power that the player has to navigate in some fashion. And, more than that, I think if someone tells me that such and such a game is a "4X", I think what I expect by way of that is that that game will be... monomaniacally ludic? Like, very self-consciously "board-gamey", very much of the Meier-esque conception of the game as "a series of interesting decisions". Something that is very concerned with delivering an experience that is clean and legible and regular. Whereas I think I take a grand strategy game to be something... messier, more textured. Something that makes design concessions to other concerns- narrative, aesthetic etc.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
Those are meaningless and misleading terms. 4X came to mean "like Master of Orion and Civilization" and Grand Strategy came to mean similar to what Paradox does. I like the term empire builder cause it explains well the fantasy these games sell you.

It's the same with every other genre name with videogames. RTS came to mean like Warcraft and C&C, so a lot of games that can be described as real-time strategy (like city-builders or, again, Paradox games) are not called that.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
4X means turn-based. Grand Strategy means realtime.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Paradox games are in fact RTS while Command & Conquer and Starcraft are operational at best

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

I'd say it's truer in Victoria than CK but yeah it's hardly a common theme.

Yeah, I think this is a big part of the distinction for me- 4Xes have small, symmetrical starts and largely empty worlds, whereas GSGs have preexisting contexts and histories and balances of power that the player has to navigate in some fashion. And, more than that, I think if someone tells me that such and such a game is a "4X", I think what I expect by way of that is that that game will be... monomaniacally ludic? Like, very self-consciously "board-gamey", very much of the Meier-esque conception of the game as "a series of interesting decisions". Something that is very concerned with delivering an experience that is clean and legible and regular. Whereas I think I take a grand strategy game to be something... messier, more textured. Something that makes design concessions to other concerns- narrative, aesthetic etc.

Also sort of combining these two is that I think the issue is less that Paradox is less "gamey" but more that they don't have a single win condition. In Civilization one civ will eventually be crowned The Best One and everyone else loses. Even in EU4 you can content yourself with making a minor into a regional power even if you can barely tangle with the #1 great power. That said idk if this is a strict requirement for a "grand strategy game"

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
Grand Strategy Game to me just means a bigger scope - taking into account more things than other more focused experiences which are just good old strategy games - and even within that scope these days the label GSG has a good degree of variation, it doesn't have to be that complicated.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

What differentiates Grand strategy is the grand you have to drop on piecemeal dlc

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

VostokProgram posted:

anyone got that picture of the hosed up Hapsburg that's captioned "I'm 0/0/0"

First post of this thread!

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

The Cheshire Cat posted:

4X means turn-based. Grand Strategy means realtime.
Paradox games aren't real-time.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

who even reads the op

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Paradox games aren't real-time.

Depends how fast your CPU is

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
i think you'll find that paradox games run substantially faster than real-time

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

It's a bit zeno's paradoxy because you play it like a real-time game with pause, but the game mechanics are explicitly constructed around a wego turn based system.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
all games are turn-based, just some have very fine-grained turns

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Paradox games are Metroidvanias

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

gradenko_2000 posted:

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

I'm waiting for the 1000-year-long realtime Paradox megaLP where a goon curses their bloodline with playing these games one game day at a time in order to entertain strangers on the Internet.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

What is the basis of Tebizond's zebra heraldry

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
In my head at least, the key difference between grand strategy games and 4X games are that grand strategy games have fixed, heavily asymmetric starts while 4X games have near symmetric, randomised starts. There's other secondary components (simulationist focus, for example), but I think that's the core of it. That's why stellaris was pitched as a "4X with grand strategy elements" or something along those lines rather than the other way around, and why in the early days when Stellaris was announced there were people who were hoping that they might include a mode that had a fixed galaxy which was already pre-populated with space empires of varying sizes.

I realise that by this metric the Total War games are Grand Strategy, which is not how we tend to think of them but also, I think, not exactly wrong.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The strategy layer of TW games is absolutely a (simplistic) grand strategy game, it's just that it's mostly a backdrop used to set up the tactical battles that you're actually playing it for.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

Reveilled posted:

I realise that by this metric the Total War games are Grand Strategy, which is not how we tend to think of them but also, I think, not exactly wrong.

Loading a mid-game save of Civilization is a Grand Strategy game too! Or playing scenarios.

I do understand that a lot of design choices stem from a basic thing like pre-made map VS random map every time, but you can see how defining by such things is pointless. Just like, again, those terms are pointless except when you're legally not allowed to mention Civilization/Paradox.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Gaius Marius posted:

What differentiates Grand strategy is the grand you have to drop on piecemeal dlc

:vince:
That's also conclusive proof that Total War and Train Simulator are grand strategy, which we all knew in our hearts

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

GrossMurpel posted:

:vince:
That's also conclusive proof that Total War and Train Simulator are grand strategy, which we all knew in our hearts
The Sims too.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
She grand on my strategy until I IPO

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

gradenko_2000 posted:

Planck time or GTFO.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

It is theoretically possible to finish a game of HoI4 in real time. :v:

I'm sure there is someone, somewhere doing just that. Sitting in an immaculate ww2 uniform, playing one handedly.

NeverHelm
Aug 9, 2017

Never attribute to malice that post which is adequately explained by a poor sense of humor.
If they started when the game released, they would actually have finished a year ago now.

pdxjohan
Sep 9, 2011

Paradox dev dude.

Xerophyte posted:

Alternative, hotter take: "grand strategy" is mainly a marketing term Paradox have decided to push. Their games do have a somewhat unified design language and some shared design elements -- they're on the simulationist side of the simulation-abstraction spectrum; they try to model politics and not just warfare; they try to construct a narrative with characters, missions and events; they use maps with naturalistic borders instead of regular tilings -- but those elements can be found in other games that don't use the "grand strategy" label. There are no fundamental differences between a PDS game and other strategy games.

Not entirely untrue. We had a hard time 15-20 years ago trying to explain what our games were to retailers, as its not a TBS or RTS, so we decided to refer to them as GSG. Think that was around 2006-2007 or so..

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
If nothing else we can all agree, grand strategy is when you sink "full time job" hours for months, then go online to yell about inability to feel human cuz the wrong dudes got a +1

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

YF-23 posted:

I'm waiting for the 1000-year-long realtime Paradox megaLP where a goon curses their bloodline with playing these games one game day at a time in order to entertain strangers on the Internet.

Let's not let give Grey Hunter any ideas here. He'd do it, and I know he has a son.

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004

pdxjohan posted:

Not entirely untrue. We had a hard time 15-20 years ago trying to explain what our games were to retailers, as its not a TBS or RTS, so we decided to refer to them as GSG. Think that was around 2006-2007 or so..

case closed

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

The Grande Strategy Supreme, coming soon to a Taco Bell near you

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Cantorsdust posted:

Let's not let give Grey Hunter any ideas here. He'd do it, and I know he has a son.

I have no idea what you are talking about......

scribbles furiously

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

tfw paradox releases a new save breaking update and you have to restart the run 20 years in

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Mantis42 posted:

tfw paradox releases a new save breaking update and you have to restart the run 20 years in

In this context, isn't that just divorce?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
All videogame genres are wonky bullshit with no firm boundaries. They exist solely to be a short hand for “kinda like this thing to some extent”. Don’t think about it harder than that it’s a waste of time.

New genres are created when using a genre to describe something breaks a sufficiently large number of people’s suspension of disbelief. It’s all linguistic consensus/unspoken gentlemen’s agreements.