Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Kestral posted:

While I agree with the sentiment you're expressing, the purpose of the proposed rules isn't for the posters in this thread, it's to appease four extremely vocal posters (one of which is a mod) in the feedback thread. Which is futile, because nothing short of a complete ban will actually appease them, but that's where things stand.

I'm not here to litigate things either way, and I don't know if you're talking about me or calling PurpleXVI a mod because he has an IK star, but I never advocated for a complete ban and I do not plan on doing everything in my nonexistent power to destroy your stupid elf pictures or whatever going forward. I just want to make that clear because I don't want to be involved in some stupid conspiracy web nonsense over an AI art thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kas
Sep 9, 2003
I am a snoot.

You literally posted "I don't really like giving AI content a "place" to exist here in this subforum" in the discussion thread.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

kas posted:

You literally posted "I don't really like giving AI content a "place" to exist here in this subforum" in the discussion thread.

Yeah I clarified my point after that re: as a place to be minimal effort image or text dumps? I don't know if my point got across well. I was dipping in and out between doing other work and it's a really complicated topic.

I'm not a mod of this forum. I was given a blue star to manage one thread in PYF. I like participating in the feedback thread here to give my earnest thoughts as a long-term user of this place, and the stupid buttons I have elsewhere give me no extra pull or ability to leverage poo poo. I can communicate my thoughts to the mods who do work here privately or publicly, same as everyone else. And I don't interact with any of the other "vocal posters" in that discussion outside of threads here in TG or elsewhere on these forums where our interests overlap.

kas
Sep 9, 2003
I am a snoot.

Fair. Thank you for clarifying.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Yeah seriously the mods are putting in a lot of effort to give the thread and us a fair shake, lets be less a bunch of wet blankets please, it isn't productive.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

I'm not even expecting everyone to agree. We don't even all agree on everything. It's just not an easy black and white kind of thing.

But, there are a handful of people who are not even making arguments, they're just very extreme and yelling stuff as fact. And that's the "four extremely vocal posters (one of which is a mod) in the feedback thread" Kestral is talking about, I think.

I actually never paid attention to the difference between mod stars and IK stars so I didn't know which was which, so I suspect they were probably the same way and thinking of the same person we're probably all thinking of.

It's a trend though. Like I mentioned earlier we see it a lot in the DnD thread (and there I keep thinking, this is DnD, there are rules for how you argue so maybe more probations need to be handed out. Not cuz people disagree with me but because, come on, if I just come into a thread shouting but I wont actually put forth an argument that's not how it's supposed to work there.) And it's the same thing every time, and when pushed they end up coming to absurd arguments that take down everything else with it.

BrainDance fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jun 12, 2023

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

BrainDance posted:

But, there are a handful of people who are not even making arguments, they're just very extreme and yelling stuff as fact. And that's the "four extremely vocal posters (one of which is a mod) in the feedback thread" Kestral is talking about, I think.

This is correct, although I actually was referring to PurpleXVI. I don't know what side Nuns is on, I have them on ignore which somehow still works despite their being a mod - maybe it carries over if you add them to the list before they get their mod star.

BrainDance posted:

It's a trend though. Like I mentioned earlier we see it a lot in the DnD thread (and there I keep thinking, this is DnD, there are rules for how you argue so maybe more probations need to be handed out. Not cuz people disagree with me but because, come on, if I just come into a thread shouting but I wont actually put forth an argument that's not how it's supposed to work there.) And it's the same thing every time, and when pushed they end up coming to absurd arguments that take down everything else with it.

TradGames and D&D will probably always need to have different moderation styles, just the nature of the beast. My suggestion when these things come up is to just make your point as best you can and then Cease To Engage. Nobody's obligated to have a fight on the internet, and it's important to remember that you won't change the minds of the people you're arguing with, only the people who are undecided and looking on to see who makes their point well. As a fellow D&D lurker I find it useful to remind myself that I can probably count on one hand the number of times I've seen someone actually change their mind because of an internet argument, and still have fingers to spare.

For some actual on-topic posting, I'll just state for the record / Leperflesh's purposes that World Famous W sums up my position pretty well, for whatever that's worth: the thread for arguing over the ethics of AI (and god do I hate that term) already exists and everyone knows where to find it. If the TradGames policy is to have this be a quarantine thread*, then it will also have to be protected from the Loud Angry Posters who will do their level best to poo poo it up, and that's going to mean actual probes being handed out.

* Leperflesh: this is not a policy that can endure in the long-term, just from a sheer enforceability point of view if nothing else, you've said you're down for revising things later on. Just be ready for this subject to get revisited later, because this is all going to happen again as this stuff increasingly permeates the culture.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I don't love the word "containment" and "quarantine" isn't much better. IMO the best thing is to just have topical threads - eg the warhammer 40k thread isn't and shouldn't be the 40k containment thread, but if people constantly want to talk about fascism vs. parody in warhammer 40k and that was an issue around TG I might workshop a rule insisting that go in a specific place, too, and probably that place would not be in the chat thread, or the 40k thread, where people should get to post about their war dollies with some semblance of peace and take it as a given that we're not just harboring a bunch of fascists on the basis that they still collect space marines. Today, the target of ire is AI stuff, I'm sure there will be new things to be mad about in the future and if we develop a tolerable model for dealing with that, that'd be cool.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Leperflesh posted:

I don't love the word "containment" and "quarantine" isn't much better. IMO the best thing is to just have topical threads - eg the warhammer 40k thread isn't and shouldn't be the 40k containment thread, but if people constantly want to talk about fascism vs. parody in warhammer 40k and that was an issue around TG I might workshop a rule insisting that go in a specific place, too, and probably that place would not be in the chat thread, or the 40k thread, where people should get to post about their war dollies with some semblance of peace and take it as a given that we're not just harboring a bunch of fascists on the basis that they still collect space marines. Today, the target of ire is AI stuff, I'm sure there will be new things to be mad about in the future and if we develop a tolerable model for dealing with that, that'd be cool.

Agreed on all counts, except that containment/quarantine is what's being set up. Unless it's made mod-voice explicit that this thread (or its successor) isn't a containment thread, but is rather a designated discussion thread "with some semblance of peace" for a topic that isn't banned elsewhere in the forum as long as it doesn't take over, then we're going to get the same confrontations the feedback thread just went through, again and again. If the intent is to make this thread equivalent to other dedicated-topic threads, that's actually ideal IMO, as long as it's receiving the same protections - and it's a model that benefits the chat thread, too. I'd certainly support that approach.

feverish and oversexed
Mar 9, 2007

I LOVE the galley!
so is this the place to talk about how I'm using chatgpt, bing, and other ai to play along with my solo ironsworn game or.....?

kas
Sep 9, 2003
I am a snoot.

feverish and oversexed posted:

so is this the place to talk about how I'm using chatgpt, bing, and other ai to play along with my solo ironsworn game or.....?

Honestly, it feels like things are more or less wrapping up on this iteration of the thread as the new policy for this subforum is hashed out, so I mean, yeah, that'd be awesome, but you'll probably want to post em again in whatever thread likely replaces this one in the near future, too.

feverish and oversexed
Mar 9, 2007

I LOVE the galley!

kas posted:

Honestly, it feels like things are more or less wrapping up on this iteration of the thread as the new policy for this subforum is hashed out, so I mean, yeah, that'd be awesome, but you'll probably want to post em again in whatever thread likely replaces this one in the near future, too.

I suppose I'll copy and paste then.

I dunno what all the arguing is about but I'm uninclined to scrollback.

I'm using a combination of different AIs to run ironsworn. I've been obsessed with getting AI to be my DM since chatgpt4 was released, and I've had varying levels of success. All my testing led me to solo ttrpg which I hadn't heard of before, and I just wanted to talk to other peeps doing similar things.

I'm still testing out exactly how to play, but currently I'm experimenting withing using chatgpt4 as my main "DM" or "oracle", various types of other chats with both chatgpt3 or 4 depending (I have a plus subscription). I use bing to clarifying rules for me, or discuss plot points, and just recently I've been experimenting with using Character.ai to run my secondary character (I was primarily using chatgpt3 for this but I wanted to explore other websites)

I'm using a combination of paper and googlesheets to keep progress, and I'm having a blast tbh

Images below showing bits of the process.

All my recent game chats with chatgpt

I have a travel journal I started with, I just upgraded to a full size cuz the little one ain't cutting it. I am planning on keeping it for traveling purposes.

another shot of the journals

my sidekick I don't want to make all the decisions for, previously I was using just chatgpt to narrate for him

chat showing I'm using my made up character for my secondary guy.

I use chatgpt to flesh out the lore, and plan out hooks or things I'm doing in advance, or tie loose ends together as well. I write down bullet points, and put bigger fleshed out versions on my sheets

Anyways, anyone else doing similar? what are you doing?

edit: added googlesheets screenshot

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
It's funny, I'd never considered using ChatGPT as an adjunct to Ironsworn oracles, since the oracles are so spooky-good. Using it for dialogue with NPCs, though, that would save me some time. This is the first I've heard of Character.ai, what's your experience with it been like?

feverish and oversexed
Mar 9, 2007

I LOVE the galley!

Kestral posted:

It's funny, I'd never considered using ChatGPT as an adjunct to Ironsworn oracles, since the oracles are so spooky-good.

I actually use it to narrate for me and as a oracle enhancer sometimes, like this:

quote:

Ivar is an infiltrator so he sneaks into the enemy perimeter and makes gather information move. He misses. The oracle says "it wastes resources" so I probably lose another supply)

I usually set up the scene and ask it to narrate. I'll sometimes ask it to decide but I mostly prefer using it and the oracles tbh

Kestral posted:

This is the first I've heard of Character.ai, what's your experience with it been like?

I've experimented with using public characters but it seems that private is better for custom characters.

The benefit to doing this and over Chatgpt3 or 4 is that the character retains some "memory" of themselves cuz it's built in (you can give them a base memory or default chats for it to reference). It's been going pretty well, sometimes he makes weird decisions and I just ignore them, and gloss over them in my narration to him.

Like with all current chat ais, it has limited context memory so I structure the way I'm speaking to it to remind it what is happening, and retweak memory as I go.

The website itself.... They recently monetized, the ai quality fluctuates, and the site will go down a lot on weekends because everyone is trying to gently caress the chatbots and off work and school etc.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

CAI can also do text to speech so it's pretty fun if you can find a good dm voice.

I ran a Cy_borg game with me and my partner with an AI DM and it worked pretty well, you'd just have to regenerate every time it tried to godmode or play your own character.

We would roll dice irl then tell the result to the AI e.g. Cyberdave rolls a 3 and fails his attack, firing wide with the smg.

The final boss was a weird AI that was described as a gross orb leaking white fluid that was DEFINITELY some sublimated horny poo poo from all the users trying to gently caress it, but it worked in the context and I'm gonna have that gross orb reappear in my own games. It liked being in a box like a cat.

E I use poe.com nowadays coz it's much faster (for now) and you can make your own bots like CAI
It doesn't have text to speech which isn't a big deal or the ability to regenerate without deleting and retrying which is actually kinda a big deal and annoying but CAI is slow as hell these days so it's still easier to use

Communist Thoughts fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Jun 12, 2023

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

feverish and oversexed posted:

Probably, though I've honestly given up on posting any of the stuff I make with Firefly and my own photography in here or anywhere on the forums. Just not worth the angry hassle and would be pointless anyway.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
The GBS thread seems pretty chill if you just want to share some cool looking images.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I just ignore the debate and post images I've used in my games with their prompts. Before AI I used to photocopy or trace images back in the 80s and 90s, and moved to photoshopping in the 2000s. I wasn't paying artists then. Now I've moved to using machine learning systems to generate the base image and then photoshop them to what I need them to be.

feverish and oversexed
Mar 9, 2007

I LOVE the galley!

Communist Thoughts posted:

E I use poe.com nowadays coz it's much faster (for now) and you can make your own bots like CAI
It doesn't have text to speech which isn't a big deal or the ability to regenerate without deleting and retrying which is actually kinda a big deal and annoying but CAI is slow as hell these days so it's still easier to use

Nice, I was wondering when a contender might pop up. I'm over c.ai tbh, I'll give this one a go

As to the angry people over us using ai images, I too vote to let them be angry and just talk around them.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Leperflesh posted:

What about something like:
  • We know that some AI tools are controversial and that there is a lively debate surrounding notions of artistic merit, fair use, credit, copyright, and more. The people in this thread know that and have decided on their own that they're comfortable with the form of use they're making.
  • Some AI tools have been trained exclusively with sources in the public domain, owned by the publisher, or with open licenses such as creative commons. Preferring those tools is a personal choice you can make if you want, but it's up to you.
  • If you disagree with the use of AI tools, you're welcome to debate the ethics of AI tools in the D&D thread. Posting in this thread just to challenge other posters on their ethics is a form of trolling and trolling is not allowed.

Do you feel even this much language acknowledging that there is a debate is self-flagellation?

World Famous W posted:

just cut it to the last paragraph

everyone who'll post here is well aware of the debate. the points of the debate aren't relative to the purpose of the thread. just leave it at take it to the proper threads and enforce that

again, i just lurk this subforum, so it won't effect my posting, just putting out my opinions on what i would rather read

I more or less agree with this, this is fine. "This is not the thread for shitposting about AI ethics, go to this thread instead" should be enough.

Alternately if there's a AI is Theft, You Wouldn't Make an AI Draw A Car thread, since we're doing ~*Both Sides*~ make sure to slap in a nice juicy "well actually ai art is great, you can type in "hot girl with big booba" and it draws a bunch of them for you by literally sucking down the soul essence of your favorite artist through Warp, find out more in the AI Art thread" in their OP.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I've rebooted the feedback thread and added new rules to the TG rules thread which Anti is just seeing, so she might want to modify them or something.

If we've pretty much settled on language for rules for a rebooted AI for TG thread, is anyone willing to volunteer to be OP, do a little writup maybe on what the tools are, state of the art sorta thing? If not well an OP doesn't have to be super high effort but I'd love for it to be mostly about the thread topic with just a bit on the rules, rather than just be a post with rules.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I checked out the new rules. The post with the AI discussion rules seems fine.

The art credits is also reasonable and nice. I'd add that, if you just found a piece of art somewhere and don't know where it's from or if you want to look up a piece of art someone else posted, a good way to do it is to go to Google and click the "search by image" button in the search form then upload/drag and drop the image in. (Not everyone knows this, somehow.)

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Megazver posted:

I checked out the new rules. The post with the AI discussion rules seems fine.

The art credits is also reasonable and nice. I'd add that, if you just found a piece of art somewhere and don't know where it's from or if you want to look up a piece of art someone else posted, a good way to do it is to go to Google and click the "search by image" button in the search form then upload/drag and drop the image in. (Not everyone knows this, somehow.)

My eyes are twitching here a little :D as you have no idea how frustrating it is sometimes to try to track down a source, especially from random nightcore videos on youtube, and the source is no where to be found. :(

Leperflesh posted:

I've rebooted the feedback thread and added new rules to the TG rules thread which Anti is just seeing, so she might want to modify them or something.

If we've pretty much settled on language for rules for a rebooted AI for TG thread, is anyone willing to volunteer to be OP, do a little writup maybe on what the tools are, state of the art sorta thing? If not well an OP doesn't have to be super high effort but I'd love for it to be mostly about the thread topic with just a bit on the rules, rather than just be a post with rules.

Since no one else has volunteered I'll see what I can do, and on theme I'll liberally borrow from the previous OP. :D

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

So, I'm gonna recommend we include the VTTRPG models right from the get go. They're a little old at this point but they still work really well. They're on CivitAI too if that's a more friendly place to link people.

And also hopefully something about the local LLMs too? Though it feels like, for this use something about KoboldAI would be relevant but I know nearly nothing about KoboldAI. But the LLaMA descended models like alpaca and everything that came from Alpaca are powerful and a big enough deal that just putting ChatGPT, Bing, and maybe Bard is really missing a big chunk of what's going on in the LLM world, especially with how easy they are to fine-tune in the oobabooga web-ui (and a bunch of other places) now. Way easier than when I first wrote my finetuning guide.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Yeah if anyone with any suggestions not including in the original OP, that'd be very useful.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

This might be a useful post to link to:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4000251&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=311#post532264899
KwegiboHB PMed me and said they could help a possible OP out with technical details, they seem to know a lot about local LLMs so maybe reach out to that goon if you want!

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Fwiw I've been skimming this debate, and I think the rules are in a solid place. I have my own views about how much of a big deal it is but overall a meaningful chunk of the sub have some qualms and the rules do a good job of recognizing that while allowing for discussion that doesn't get instantly drowned out by yelling.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
WIP new OP:

quote:

AI tools can be a great resource for generating new content for traditional games like Dungeons and Dragons and Magic the Gathering and other TTPRGs. These tools can help you come up with new spells, feats, magic cards, and more, quickly and easily. Below is a list of tools that might be useful, be aware that there is a debate regarding the ethicacy of their training data, and the broader societal economic effects. To learn more you can go to the AI Debate thread in D&D. And to learn more about the technology behind AI like Machine Learning you can go to the Caverns of Cobol thread here.

Stable Diffusion:
https://playgroundai.com/ (this is just one example, there are many others)
This AI tool is designed specifically for generating new content for Dungeons and Dragons. It uses a machine learning model trained on a large dataset of existing spells and abilities to generate new, unique spells and abilities. You can use it to come up with new ideas for your character's abilities, or to add some excitement to your game by introducing new spells and abilities that your players have never seen before.

Midjourney:
https://www.midjourney.com/
This AI tool is designed to generate new images and graphics for use in games and other creative projects. It uses a deep learning model to generate original artwork based on a set of user-specified parameters. If you're looking for new magic cards or other graphics for your game, this tool might be worth checking out.

ChatGPT:
https://chat.openai.com/chat
This AI tool uses a variant of the popular GPT language model to generate text-based content. You can use it to generate new descriptions for spells or magic items, or to come up with ideas for new quests or adventures. ChatGPT is also highly customizable, allowing you to fine-tune the type of content it generates based on your specific needs.

Additional Resources:
Here is a link to VTTRPG Resources, which seems to be a how-to/useful tips and tricks guide to prompts for getting useful content for TTRPGs.

Overall, these AI tools can be a great resource for generating new content for traditional games like Dungeons and Dragons and Magic the Gathering. Whether you're looking for new spells, magic items, or quests, these tools can help you come up with fresh ideas and add some excitement to your game. This thread is for encouraging you to share your experiences with AI tools and how you've used them to generate new content for your roleplaying games. This can be a great way to inspire others and help them get the most out of these tools. For example, you might share:

1) Examples of new spells, feats, or magic items you've generated using Stable Diffusion or ChatGPT
2) Artwork or graphics you've created using Midjourney or Dall-E
3) Stories or adventures you've created using AI Dungeon or other interactive storytelling tools

However remember that there's probably no one size fits all solution to generating your content. Many outputs at first might be mediocre and require significant guidance and handholding. By sharing your experiences, you can help others see the potential of these tools and give them ideas for how they can use them in their own games; and you can learn how to further improve the output you might derive from these tools. You might also discover that others have found new and creative ways to use these tools that you hadn't thought of before.

In addition to sharing your experiences with these specific tools, we also encourage you to share any other tools you know about that might be useful for generating new content for roleplaying games. There are always new tools and resources being developed, and by sharing your knowledge, you can help others discover new ways to enhance their games.

So don't be shy! Share your experiences with AI tools and other resources for generating new content for roleplaying games. You never know who you might inspire or what new ideas you might discover.

Rules Section TBD

This post originally generated by ChatGPT, modified June 12 2023 by a human.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

You should probably talk about Firefly and how to get into it and the Beta, since thus far it's the one ethically sourced* generative image AI.

There's also the music AIs and the voice AIs.

Honestly, the biggest flaw here is that ChatGPT is mentioned mainly as a primary source, vs just a thing to bounce ideas off of. One of the best ways to use it for an RPG in planning is to ask it to, say, "generate me 10 different options for a ne'er do well thief type character, gender and race do not matter, who grew up with a hard luck childhood being chased by the local law enforcement. This shoudl be done in [System X]." and it'll spit out 10 different backstories within a few seconds and then you can cherry pick ideas from it or massage one or two them into an NPC or character idea you may use. From a GM perspective it's a huge time saver or if you're fast with your typing or playing a PBP or online game, you can generate large numbers of detailed NPCs on the fly.

You can also use it as a notebook for your campaign by defining the rules and bounds of your story, and then literally telling it to remember X, Y, or Z. It can then act likea smart notebook where you can ask it, "what was the name of that guy we met in the treetop village who claimed to have details about the king's murder?" and it'll parse your notes and actually give you an answer immediately.

* - so Adobe claims.

KwegiboHB
Feb 2, 2004

nonconformist art brut
Negative prompt: amenable, compliant, docile, law-abiding, lawful, legal, legitimate, obedient, orderly, submissive, tractable
Steps: 32, Sampler: DPM++ 2M Karras, CFG scale: 11, Seed: 520244594, Size: 512x512, Model hash: 99fd5c4b6f, Model: seekArtMEGA_mega20
Working with Raenir Salazar now. I only work with Stable Diffusion and image generation but follow all of this closely so I know of and can provide links to a large number of different tools. Sadly I don't play Trad Games so I don't know what will fit best here. It does sound like fun to play it's just going to be quite awhile until I have enough free time again.
Could anyone give me some examples of the main games and ways people play? Sitting around a table with people, what's in front of them? Character portraits? Minis? Dungeon maps? All of these can be made with AI but if you give me a list I can better get specific links on how to do so.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

I was gonna type up a very quick, rough thing about local LLMs but my community has no electricity for maintenance tonight so, I guess, just leave some space and I'll get to it when I have power?

I think it's relevant to this thread because I tried to get some help with a backstory for my grave cleric from ChatGPT, it refused because death is a sensitive topic.

Uncensored local models did not refuse.

BrainDance fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Jun 13, 2023

feverish and oversexed
Mar 9, 2007

I LOVE the galley!

Fuzz posted:

You can also use it as a notebook for your campaign by defining the rules and bounds of your story, and then literally telling it to remember X, Y, or Z. It can then act likea smart notebook where you can ask it, "what was the name of that guy we met in the treetop village who claimed to have details about the king's murder?" and it'll parse your notes and actually give you an answer immediately.

* - so Adobe claims.

I've tried to do this with very middling results, I and typing out huge narratives and the text just becomes overwhelmed fairly quickly, and I noticed it was dropping or ignoring details (chatgpt4 is better of course, but still eventually having the same issue)

I was using chatgpt to summarize the ongoing narration but after doing this for a few weeks I personally opted to just write bullet notes down in my journal, have a section for inventory, and a separate section for "loose ends" so I can tie story back to things I didn't have an answer for yet. I have "lore" paragraphs I decided on pasted into my sheets document in case I have to paste it to any of the bots for narration purposes. Hopefully further updates to chatgpt4 give it better memory without huge API costs.

ymmv of course, maybe my prompt sucked, but overall having it try to be my "tracker" was underwhelming

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
I got chatGPT to help me fill out names for my random NPC generator - it's a google docs that spits out a random race, first and last name and three character traits.

We were world building and are doing a fall of Byzantium fantasy setting, so we chose a name group, and as fast as they could choose a naming style I had a hundred names and surnames to copy into the sheet.

I could have most likely found the same info in google, but never in such a easy to copy format!

Edit - I'm also enjoying the Schrödinger's AI - Everything it produces is rubbish, but at the same time it's going to put people out of work.
You can make convincing arguments for both, but not both at the same time!

Grey Hunter fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Jun 13, 2023

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

KwegiboHB posted:

Working with Raenir Salazar now. I only work with Stable Diffusion and image generation but follow all of this closely so I know of and can provide links to a large number of different tools. Sadly I don't play Trad Games so I don't know what will fit best here. It does sound like fun to play it's just going to be quite awhile until I have enough free time again.
Could anyone give me some examples of the main games and ways people play? Sitting around a table with people, what's in front of them? Character portraits? Minis? Dungeon maps? All of these can be made with AI but if you give me a list I can better get specific links on how to do so.

Awesome, glad to see people taking an interest in the hobby, even if you're not able to play just yet!

In answer to your question, there's hundreds of roleplaying games and dozens of wargames - I'll leave the wargaming side to folks who are better acquainted with it. For RPGs, the big dogs are Dungeons & Dragons and Pathfinder, but some other ones with relatively large player-bases include Vampire: the Masquerade, Call of Cthulhu, Blades in the Dark, Exalted, Stars Without Number, Apocalypse World, Shadowrun, Lancer, and the various Warhammer Fantasy and Warhammer 40K RPGs.

For ways people play, there's two different environments people tend to play in: either physically around a table, or on a virtual tabletop that is essentially a shared whiteboard with game-specific functions like dice rollers. Around a table, people tend to just have the papers and book(s) associated with their role in the game, possibly minis, maybe some reference art. Depending on the table, they might have tablets or laptops and a group Discord to view "handouts" (reference material / inspirational art) from the person running the game. Whoever's running the game will usually have much, much more art to reference in addition to the above, and yeah, maps or depictions of landscapes are quite common. On a virtual tabletop, things tend to get more media-rich since it's much easier to drop images in front of people: more elaborate maps (there's a whole cottage industry of mapmaking for these games), tokens to replace physical minis (these are often an image placed inside a circular border), backgrounds or collages to set the mood or show a scene, that sort of thing.

There's also a growing number of games which can be played solo. These seem to get a lot of mileage out of ChatGPT's offerings: "things that can pretend to be a person" and "things that can offer creative suggestions" and "things that can cite reference materials (ideally with a minimum of hallucination)."

Inspirational or reference art. I can't tell you how valuable this is for me as a person with aphantasia, and for everyone who uses a virtual tabletop to play RPGs. We often have concepts that simply aren't represented in any art, anywhere, and the ability to create something that will get the gist across to fellow players is incredibly useful. This can be anything from weird creatures, to landscapes, to vehicles, to specific scenes like "the wreckage of a massive cylindrical freighter-starship, surrounded by its own debris and leaking antimatter."

Character portraits. Oh my god we have so many characters running around. Every player has at least one, the person coordinating the game often has dozens, and many of them will change over time. We love character art, especially if it can capture the specific visual signatures of a beloved character.

Icons and symbols. This is a bit niche, but I've often found it useful to be able to designate things on a map with icons and symbols rather than a specific image. Also, I'm pretty sure every fantasy game will have a scene in which some weird glyphs are important, and there's always a need for corporate logos or the calling-card symbol left behind by a gang of daring scoundrels.

I'm sure other people will have more to say on this, I know my tired brain is missing stuff, but hopefully that's a good start!

BrainDance posted:

I was gonna type up a very quick, rough thing about local LLMs but my community has no electricity for maintenance tonight so, I guess, just leave some space and I'll get to it when I have power?

I think it's relevant to this thread because I tried to get some help with a backstory for my grave cleric from ChatGPT, it refused because death is a sensitive topic.

Uncensored local models did not refuse.

Quite looking forward to this. This seems like an area with enormous potential for the way I run games, since I tend to generate enormous quantities of notes for the sheer pleasure of writing, and I'm curious what a local model could make of them.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

BrainDance posted:

I’m totally new to this and started playing around with it a few days ago.

I had it write a short sci-fi detective story about a robot detective 100 years in the future in the style of Raymond Chandler and after asking a few questions about what happened next, the ChatGPT ended the story far more coldly than expected (the protagonist detective shot the client between the eyes).

I guess that death filter needs some work.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I'm doing my morning workout right now and then got some work but I'll try to swing by to help out with your questions kwegi about the use cases for ai in trad gaming in a bit. :)

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Grey Hunter posted:

Edit - I'm also enjoying the Schrödinger's AI - Everything it produces is rubbish, but at the same time it's going to put people out of work.
You can make convincing arguments for both, but not both at the same time!

'Schrödinger's AI' is the perfect term

feverish and oversexed
Mar 9, 2007

I LOVE the galley!
I'm back with a trip report for using chatgpt3.5, Character.ai, and Poe for my secondary character I'm trying to purposefully run with AI.

Chatgpt3.5 was the most frustrating out of these guys, as it often made up stuff as the DM or as my other character

This was a chat I was using with chatgpt3.5 before I started trying to find alternatives, it was a bit long at this point and no matter how I tried to tell the bot to ONLY roleplay as Ivar, it kept doing whatever it wanted.

I showed you all the character.ai thing I was doing, and it was working "okayish" but honestly I really dislike the website, and didn't want to keep using it.

Poe so far has worked out well, the only thing is I *HAVE* to type "(do not say what happens, only respond as Ivar)" at the very end of each entry, but with that its working PRETTY well. I coach the ai with the way I talk, and insert context clues in the narrative and its going a lot better than my other attempts.

The narration tends to get a little repetitive but I'm going to see if I can coach him out of responding like that with the way I write and some (ooc).

KwegiboHB
Feb 2, 2004

nonconformist art brut
Negative prompt: amenable, compliant, docile, law-abiding, lawful, legal, legitimate, obedient, orderly, submissive, tractable
Steps: 32, Sampler: DPM++ 2M Karras, CFG scale: 11, Seed: 520244594, Size: 512x512, Model hash: 99fd5c4b6f, Model: seekArtMEGA_mega20

Kestral posted:

Excellent write-up!

Thank you for this, I have a much better understanding of things now!

There are easy ways to start using some of these tools, like if you want to just dip a toe in the water you can make a quick character portrait, grid map, or scenery without much effort. There are all different styles of custom models and finding one that captures the gothic aesthetic for Vampire: The Masquerade or gritty cyberpunk for Shadowrun is easy enough. All styles are possible.

"Ah, home."

gritty cyberpunk dive bar, busy crowd
Steps: 32, Sampler: DPM++ 2M Karras, CFG scale: 11, Seed: 1, Size: 512x512, Model hash: 4199bcdd14, Model: revAnimated_v122, Version: v1.2.1

"Potion seller, I'm going into battle and I want your strongest potions"

gritty cyberpunk dive bar cyborg bartender
Steps: 32, Sampler: DPM++ 2M Karras, CFG scale: 11, Seed: 4, Size: 512x512, Model hash: 4199bcdd14, Model: revAnimated_v122, Version: v1.2.1

These tools would also be excellent at things like padding out encounter table events.

"I can see why I would need to make a dexterity check"

rope bridge over chasm
Steps: 32, Sampler: DPM++ 2M Karras, CFG scale: 11, Seed: 3, Size: 512x512, Model hash: 4199bcdd14, Model: revAnimated_v122, Version: v1.2.1

"You want me to cross THAT??! There had better be an angry mob behind me with pitchforks and torches!"

pov standing in front of broken rope bridge over chasm, death trap decayed ancient neglected falling apart decrepit broken planks missing
Steps: 32, Sampler: DPM++ 2M Karras, CFG scale: 11, Seed: 2, Size: 512x512, Model hash: 4199bcdd14, Model: revAnimated_v122, Version: v1.2.1

"Crap. Ok roll!"

angry mob behind me, pitchforks and torches
Steps: 32, Sampler: DPM++ 2M Karras, CFG scale: 11, Seed: 2, Size: 512x512, Model hash: 4199bcdd14, Model: revAnimated_v122, Version: v1.2.1

Where I think things will truly start to shine is in some of the custom training options, such as making a specific character LoRA. You can take the custom artwork you have of a character and train a smaller model which you feed back into the generator which allows you to change specific things about the character, like outfits, action sequences, or battle wounds, etc.

"That looks really bad, better take the Major healing potion and not the Minor."

Main Hero, bleeding battle wounds
Steps: 32, Sampler: DPM++ 2M Karras, CFG scale: 11, Seed: 3, Size: 512x512, Model hash: 4199bcdd14, Model: revAnimated_v122, Version: v1.2.1

This is exciting stuff.
I have to run and do some grocery shopping now, I'll be back later today to work on this some more. If anyone else has any other ideas I'm all ears. This will help me work on the GBS thread as well :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I think I might tackle the Stable Diffusion section a bit, because one of the biggest things about it is that you can host it yourself - which gives you a ton of options that using it as a hosted service just doesn't - and you can apply a conditioning interface (called ControlNet) to give you quite a bit of control over the output.