Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

koolkal posted:

There's a shot of Miles' roommate playing Spiderman on a PS4 or PS5 so seems like the games exist in-universe.

Which is weird to think about considering who we see in the Spider Society

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

koolkal posted:

There's a shot of Miles' roommate playing Spiderman on a PS4 or PS5 so seems like the games exist in-universe.

They also have insomniac spidey in the spider society as a joke, but they're keeping Miles himself unique for story purposes

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

koolkal posted:

Apparently that is gameplay footage of the upcoming one

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

koolkal posted:

Remember the native Chris Pine Spidey was a massive shill, so it's explicable if somewhat morbid.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

BizarroAzrael posted:

Remember the native Chris Pine Spidey was a massive shill, so it's explicable if somewhat morbid.

Thanks for reminding me about the Spidey Christmas album lol

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
Cool movie, amazing that we wouldn't be here if not for a video game no one talks about now (Shattered Dimensions)

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Gaius Marius posted:

They also have insomniac spidey in the spider society as a joke, but they're keeping Miles himself unique for story purposes

I feel like they’re going to “unlock” Miles in Beyond so there’s more of him in the spider-verse. So you get the comics one, video game one, various cartoon iterations, etc.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Fair to expect that Uncle Arron 42 is going to be dubbed "Tinkerer"?

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

trevorreznik posted:

The movies aren't too heavy for your kid? Peter dying at the start of the first one and Fisk being so scary at the end is why I haven't shown it to my son, and he's a lot older than your 3 year old

She's almost 4, so we've lightly explained death and stuff to her. She (so far)understands that bad things happen to good people. But she LOVES Gwen and Miles and whatever happens to them seems to just make her want to make it right? I know kids are different but tonight when I went outside when it was dark she said "I'm brave like Miles" and came out with me, so I have no issue with letting her watch. Then she ran inside, "webbed up" the dog, and cackled.

That being said, I think the first one is incredible and I can't imagine your son coming away worse for watching it.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 6 days!)

found it a bit interesting that near the end when Miles reveals he's Spider-man to 42-Mom, she's like "is that a comic-con thing that you always go to" and Miles is like "what's comic-con"

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

He doesn't know what it is in the first movie either

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

every multiverse movie is about disappointing your mom

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

The_Doctor posted:

I feel like they’re going to “unlock” Miles in Beyond so there’s more of him in the spider-verse. So you get the comics one, video game one, various cartoon iterations, etc.

Spider miles was always going to be a thing. The spider was about to bite 42 Miles before ferrying zapped to the wrong dimension

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

koolkal posted:

Thst is actually Spider-Man 2, which isn't released yet.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Man I wish the fact that the movie is a part 1 of a two part thing had been mentioned at all inbetween all the praise for animation. Super disappointing.

sure was pretty though.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

goblin week posted:

Man I wish the fact that the movie is a part 1 of a two part thing had been mentioned at all inbetween all the praise for animation. Super disappointing.

sure was pretty though.

This movie was supposed to be one whole movie but they announced they split it up last year. People got lost in the hype and forgot, I guess.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

It’s really not advertised as being one half of a two-part thing.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It was early on. And then they changed it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnBzcLQUhYQ

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Kingtheninja posted:

About Miguel, What's the deal with him being a vampire? Between the shot of his fangs at the beginning of the movie, and the brief mention of him being a vampire I thought that would come into play but it just sort of doesn't?

I know the "Spider-Man 2099 is more spider-y" explanation, but I'm still gonna call it: this film's Miguel O'Hara isn't a Spider at all. He's Morlun, gathering up all the Spiders in one place so he can have a massive Spider Buffet. If there ever was a Spider-Man 2099, Morlun killed him and impersonated him (with holograms or whatever), and the "disappeared for months into another universe and had a highly traumatic event" story is a convenient cover for why Miguel vanished one day and had a different personality the next time the rest of the Society saw him.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

I know the "Spider-Man 2099 is more spider-y" explanation, but I'm still gonna call it: this film's Miguel O'Hara isn't a Spider at all. He's Morlun, gathering up all the Spiders in one place so he can have a massive Spider Buffet. If there ever was a Spider-Man 2099, Morlun killed him and impersonated him (with holograms or whatever), and the "disappeared for months into another universe and had a highly traumatic event" story is a convenient cover for why Miguel vanished one day and had a different personality the next time the rest of the Society saw him.

Please god no.

Also Peter B was there when Miguel’s adoptive universe collapsed, so I think that definitely happened. I really don’t think they’re going to pull the loving Inheritors into their blockbuster movie franchise. The comics thoroughly poisoned that particular well.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
https://twitter.com/bussiarati/status/1667589828429615104

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

No oh god no please

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

okay but where's oppenheimer spidey?

e: oh lol they're literally doing that next in the replies

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Not into that stuff but wiki says the Spider-Therapist was Ezekiel? Think I'm missing something.

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

What's wrong with you? You don't even have your beer goggles on!!

I'm seconding this. I don't know anything about Spider-Man 2099 but he was clearly coded as the bad guy of the story, even just based on the trailers. Spot is a diversion.

Saw the film yesterday with my daughters age 7 and 4 and I loved it, especially the opening sequence with Gwen. The girls liked it too but it was way too long for them to watch in a cinema. I wouldn't mind the runtime myself, but I could really feel it when watching it with the kids. I had no idea it would end on a cliffhanger so with the end being nowhere in sight after 2 hours, it really felt endless.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Yvonmukluk posted:

Please god no.

goblin week posted:

No oh god no please

Sorry, me being right about stuff is a canon event.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Sorry, me being right about stuff is a canon event.

Proof that opposing the ‘canon’ is a moral imperative.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

this is certainly a plausible thing to happen in a comic book movie but it would be incredibly stupid and i have enough faith in lord & miller to expect it not to happen. at most i'd expect like a throwaway joke about the possibility

lih fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Jun 12, 2023

mystes
May 31, 2006

On its own this would be reasonable enough but I think it would kind of undermine all the themes that this movie set up

I think that would actually go for any explanation where he is intentionally evil actually

mystes fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Jun 12, 2023

Georgia Peach
Jan 7, 2005

SECESSION IS FUTILE

I particularly laughed at the Morbius joke.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Failing to tell a complete story in a 2.5 hour cartoon is remarkable. Cant recall a movie doing such a dramatic nosedive into the ground while barely anything happened except setting up another one.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

The_Doctor posted:

Yeah, I wouldn’t be surprised if, if they show any alternate spider-mileses, they were planning to hold them back for Beyond for the emotional payoff.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

lol Miguel is not a bad guy

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

Codependent Poster posted:

lol Miguel is not a bad guy

He's an extremely obvious bad guy down to his character design. At the very least he fulfills the same role as the Illuminaty in the Multiverse of Madness or Kang in Loki. I honestly have no idea how anyone would think otherwise other than based on comic book stuff that wasn't in the movie.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Captain Jesus posted:

He's an extremely obvious bad guy down to his character design. At the very least he fulfills the same role as the Illuminaty in the Multiverse of Madness or Kang in Loki. I honestly have no idea how anyone would think otherwise other than based on comic book stuff that wasn't in the movie.

His very first scene tells you everything you need to know about him.

He looks scary, but is a hero who saves people. Then he also has a change of heart in recruiting Gwen when he sees what she's going through. When she says "I don't know how to fix this" he responds "Join the club" which means both to join the Spider Society, and that he himself struggles in knowing what the right thing to do is.

We see him working with Peter, who vouches for him and also was there to see an entire universe erased. We see the trauma he went through. We know he and Peter have talked about Miles before. You know how else you can tell he's a good guy? He lets Mayday crawl all over him and then holds her and catches her when she falls. Miguel is a jerk, but he's a good guy.

He's very obviously going to help Miles in the next film.

HellOnEarth
Nov 7, 2005

Now that's good jerky!

Captain Jesus posted:

I mean he's definitely a major antagonist, but he's not a bad guy. Because he is, in fact, a Spider-Man and most of his character design is straight from the comic - except he's way more jacked in the movie.

Simulation883
Jan 1, 2007

Kart Barfunkel posted:

It’s really not advertised as being one half of a two-part thing.

Yeah, I wonder why they dropped it. While out this week I noticed even the toys still have the "Part One" on it, which I assume has to do with the merchandising schedule.

Miles Figure for reference (no spoilers): https://assets.target.com.au/transf...jpeg&quality=80

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

As long as it ain't Morlun

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

Codependent Poster posted:

His very first scene tells you everything you need to know about him.

He looks scary, but is a hero who saves people. Then he also has a change of heart in recruiting Gwen when he sees what she's going through. When she says "I don't know how to fix this" he responds "Join the club" which means both to join the Spider Society, and that he himself struggles in knowing what the right thing to do is.

We see him working with Peter, who vouches for him and also was there to see an entire universe erased. We see the trauma he went through. We know he and Peter have talked about Miles before. You know how else you can tell he's a good guy? He lets Mayday crawl all over him and then holds her and catches her when she falls. Miguel is a jerk, but he's a good guy.

He's very obviously going to help Miles in the next film.

Jesus, that's really weak surface reading.

He's an oppressive paternal authority figure who forces his will onto others which includes ensuring that their loved ones and mentors die. He hates Miles for who he is - a failure in canon who represents the weakness of his worldview (the events of the first movie themselves deny his thesis that breaking the canon inevitably leads to destruction of the universe) - and wants to prevent him from finding his own destiny - which is one of the main themes of the movie. He is inevitably gonna be proven wrong (i.e. at least that Miles can save his dad without endangering his universe) and while he might help Miles, it's probably gonna be similar to Octavius helping Spider-Man in Spider-Man 2 . The things you mention are just window dressing - which also ignores that he's angry, violent and has claws and fangs. He doesn't even shoot web but some beams that look like Darkseid's omega beams.

HellOnEarth posted:

I mean he's definitely a major antagonist, but he's not a bad guy. Because he is, in fact, a Spider-Man and most of his character design is straight from the comic - except he's way more jacked in the movie.

I definitely see him as the main antagonist of the story. He might not be outright evil (i.e. a bad guy) but he's the main foil to Miles within the story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

Simulation883 posted:

Yeah, I wonder why they dropped it. While out this week I noticed even the toys still have the "Part One" on it, which I assume has to do with the merchandising schedule.

Miles Figure for reference (no spoilers): https://assets.target.com.au/transf...jpeg&quality=80

Well now we know that the movie was originally going to end with Miles being decapitated by Miles 42 who then steals his identity