Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

The DCAU is probably the only reason I care about any DC characters. The comics are impossible to get into albeit there are some great stand alones like All Star Superman and Batman The Long Halloween. But I can’t imagine trying to read a continuing series where artists and writers can change on a dime.

The new Superman shoe looks promising. Animation seems a bit limited but the designs are fun. I hope the writing stacks up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
The budget was shoestring, but it's suspected that contributed to the show not getting axed. Jake always talked pretty favorably about working within restrictions and treated it as a creative challenge.

But also he's been personally going over the animation for months now, literally correcting and doing clean-up himself. I was back for six weeks and only got to see him once, on my birthday, 'cause the dude is hard at work and really wants it to be as good as possible. If it doesn't turn out well, it's absolutely not due to lack of love and effort.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Ccs posted:

The DCAU is probably the only reason I care about any DC characters. The comics are impossible to get into albeit there are some great stand alones like All Star Superman and Batman The Long Halloween. But I can’t imagine trying to read a continuing series where artists and writers can change on a dime.

The new Superman shoe looks promising. Animation seems a bit limited but the designs are fun. I hope the writing stacks up

Same for me really. The comics are kind of impenetrable. DCAU had a beginning, middle, end and even an epilogue and consistent characterization. I haven't cared about anything featuring these characters since because I'm perfectly satisfied with that. But hell I'll give this one a go and see if it's got an interesting take on it. Sometimes I wonder if I'm one of these weird people who once I get my cake I'm happy with it and I don't need like seven remakes and a flurry of cupcakes to go with it. Only thing I don't like about the DCAU is the batman/batgirl fetish bullshit Bruce Timm just kept pushing despite nobody loving wanting it. Like Jesus man we get it--you have an older man x young girl kink, did you have to shoehorn that into a cartoon?

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

Das Boo posted:

The budget was shoestring, but it's suspected that contributed to the show not getting axed. Jake always talked pretty favorably about working within restrictions and treated it as a creative challenge.

But also he's been personally going over the animation for months now, literally correcting and doing clean-up himself. I was back for six weeks and only got to see him once, on my birthday, 'cause the dude is hard at work and really wants it to be as good as possible. If it doesn't turn out well, it's absolutely not due to lack of love and effort.

That's a lot of work, I hope he's taking care of himself :sigh:

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Only a couple episodes in but so far The World Can't Tear Me Down on Netflix is pretty good.

Also you should go watch Zerocalare's previous series Tear Along the Dotted Line because it's legitimately fantastic (warning: It gets VERY emotionally intense towards the end and talks a lot about suicide).

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Ccs posted:

Writers don't usually change on a dime. What are you taking about? Writers stay on for at least one story arc so their stints can be from 3 or 4 months to years unless it's a standalone issue. Artists change a little more often but id teams in big series are rarely broken up.

Monthly Comic books are like sitcoms or soap operas, not prestige TV. As long as you know who the characters are (maybe some background with Wikipedia), you can get the ghost of what's going on and then jump back to older stuff later if need be.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Xelkelvos posted:

Writers don't usually change on a dime. What are you taking about? Writers stay on for at least one story arc so their stints can be from 3 or 4 months to years unless it's a standalone issue. Artists change a little more often but id teams in big series are rarely broken up.

Monthly Comic books are like sitcoms or soap operas, not prestige TV. As long as you know who the characters are (maybe some background with Wikipedia), you can get the ghost of what's going on and then jump back to older stuff later if need be.

“At least one story arc” is an incredibly low bar by the standards of most other mediums.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Happy Landfill posted:

That's a lot of work, I hope he's taking care of himself :sigh:

Same :sigh:
He's planning on taking a long trip with his family come autumn, so at least there's an end in sight.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Xelkelvos posted:

There's a certain way you have to approach American comics and it's not everyone's cup of tea. You have to carefully map out artists+writers you like and what arcs they're doing and for how long. Then you go "Oh yeah I really liked such and such's take on Spiderman" etc. But for others that's loving irritating. Knowing everything is kind of pointless because the next writer might retcon everything and you're back to square one or worse. Literally nothing matters but the status quo and after awhile unless the person is really committed to the above standard of just liking a few specific arcs they're going to lose interest eventually because nothing sticks or matters in the long run. Even the oracle thing for Barbara Gordon got retconned and that'd be canon for years.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

That's also why there's a lot of comic arcs try to mix things up for a little while by doing something that forcibly takes them away from their status quo to draw in readers. Even if they'll inevitably snap back to status quo eventually, the journey into new territory can provide a nice little arc to mark territory, and if you're lucky they'll even try to organically work their way into a new status quo (usually they won't, and it's really unsatisfying when things get entirely shifted around as an afterthought).

When Superman died, that was a big event that made a lot of people with just a passing interest in Superman just to go check out what was going on. I sure was drawn in when I heard about Doctor Octopus becoming Spiderman, and I really liked that arc, and then afterwards when Peter Parker came back, the story wasn't very good to me. When Captain America became a nazi, that was a very bad attempt at mixing things up. I think something I like about the Hulk in comics is that he's so versatile and goes through so many changes that I don't think there ever really is a status quo to return to, every stage of his comics are just radically different, although when other comics pull him in for a crossover, they usually want dumb hulk fresh from roaming around canyons like it's the 1970s. Another reason why the Avengers comics aren't great, they like to constantly tie-in with other characters, but have to reset them to do so.

I've heard of that being a trick that the Simpsons has been relying on lately in its elderly years, throwing in stunts to draw in viewers while still being mostly unable to do many real status quo changes. Martin being an undercover NYPD cop and father of two is just their version of Jimmy Olson having his brain swapped with a gorilla.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

It's why I'm both annoyed and not annoyed about them killing Kamala Khan. Like, it's lovely that they're fridging a popular character in someone else's comic, but also, she's just going to come back, so what's the point.

I don't hate American comics, but there's definitely a reason I prefer manga.

Edit: not that manga doesn't also have dumb marketing quirks and trope-y bullshit as well

Happy Landfill fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jun 12, 2023

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Dang, they killed her? That's lovely, hadn't heard about that. The faker one of these stunts is, the more insulting it is that they expect people to believe it.

I was real sad when Cyclops got killed off, because I always felt he wasn't that popular even though I liked him, so I thought there were good odds on him staying dead for a long while.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Yeah, people are mostly annoyed because The Marvels movie is coming out this summer with Kamala in it and also she wasn't even killed in her own comic but Spider-man's, so it feels like her dying is not an accumulation of her own arc but...Spider-Man's :sigh:

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Happy Landfill posted:

Yeah, people are mostly annoyed because The Marvels movie is coming out this summer with Kamala in it and also she wasn't even killed in her own comic but Spider-man's, so it feels like her dying is not an accumulation of her own arc but...Spider-Man's :sigh:

That tracks for loving Marvel. I can't even say I hate American comics as they do have really good elements in there. It's just that I'm tired and I've long since run out of patience for this kind of narrative. I'm just done and don't care anymore which is a dangerous place to be for a work of fiction. When you've literally lost the audience because they've completely lost investment.

Guess to clarify I don't think any of these companies are in danger of going out of business with their usual model but I do understand people falling out of love with them

Flopsy fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jun 12, 2023

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Flopsy posted:

There's a certain way you have to approach American comics and it's not everyone's cup of tea. You have to carefully map out artists+writers you like and what arcs they're doing and for how long. Then you go "Oh yeah I really liked such and such's take on Spiderman" etc. But for others that's loving irritating. Knowing everything is kind of pointless because the next writer might retcon everything and you're back to square one or worse. Literally nothing matters but the status quo and after awhile unless the person is really committed to the above standard of just liking a few specific arcs they're going to lose interest eventually because nothing sticks or matters in the long run. Even the oracle thing for Barbara Gordon got retconned and that'd be canon for years.

You're describing the most tedious way of jumping in. It's bonkers. I just picked up a few #1s of characters I liked and heard were good in passing and went from there. It doesn't have to be that complicated, but you're making it sound like brewing artisinal coffee where the beans have to be roasted the right way and the water has to be the right temperature and all steeped for the right amount of time instead of just using a keurig.

I don't understand this weird obsessive completionist mode of approaching this. Like I said, they're like soap operas. Just like you don't have to know the decades long history of doctor mcdreamy in a long running show like Grey's Anatomy or whatever, just what they've been doing lately. A new reader doesn't necessarily need to know the decades of arcs of Batman to jump in. Just what's been happening in the most recent atc. The medium's been that way for a long time and it usually seems that the people who crow about how comics are impenetrable are completely incapable of understanding how mediums like long running procedurals or soap operas work and what makes them a draw and make it more complicated than it seems.

And it's not like writers are ignorant of how the medium is structured too. They put in recaps or summaries of previous relevant arcs or characters because they know that new readers exist and may not be aware of what's going on, but idk. Maybe try reading a comic book and jump in with something that looks good first and then figure out where to go after. There's even sites to read comics free to try before buying just like how people read manga.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Happy Landfill posted:

From what I've heard it was a really lame way to kill off a cool and popular character and even if they do bring her back it still sucks that her first death was done the way it was. The whole thing has some powerful "they just didn't care" energy.

Edit:

Found a video was on the whole situation: https://youtu.be/W5dyLtqQJzw

Pretty much states what you could already figure out, the Ms. Marvel death was a poorly done stunt to get more attention and boost sales before bringing her back and it worked so heroes dying over and over again will absolutely keep happening.

Space Cadet Omoly fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jun 12, 2023

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019
most established ongoing comics have a recap page that explains the previous key points in an arc

but whatever the american floppy market is dead everyone should just be reading trades

Happy Landfill posted:

It's why I'm both annoyed and not annoyed about them killing Kamala Khan. Like, it's lovely that they're fridging a popular character in someone else's comic, but also, she's just going to come back, so what's the point.

I don't hate American comics, but there's definitely a reason I prefer manga.

tbf the biggest anime around, dbz, has a main cast who's died multiple times over

hell the only earthling who hasn't died is the world champ, mr. satan

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Xelkelvos posted:

You're describing the most tedious way of jumping in. It's bonkers. I just picked up a few #1s of characters I liked and heard were good in passing and went from there. It doesn't have to be that complicated, but you're making it sound like brewing artisinal coffee where the beans have to be roasted the right way and the water has to be the right temperature and all steeped for the right amount of time instead of just using a keurig.

I don't understand this weird obsessive completionist mode of approaching this. Like I said, they're like soap operas. Just like you don't have to know the decades long history of doctor mcdreamy in a long running show like Grey's Anatomy or whatever, just what they've been doing lately. A new reader doesn't necessarily need to know the decades of arcs of Batman to jump in. Just what's been happening in the most recent atc. The medium's been that way for a long time and it usually seems that the people who crow about how comics are impenetrable are completely incapable of understanding how mediums like long running procedurals or soap operas work and what makes them a draw and make it more complicated than it seems.

And it's not like writers are ignorant of how the medium is structured too. They put in recaps or summaries of previous relevant arcs or characters because they know that new readers exist and may not be aware of what's going on, but idk. Maybe try reading a comic book and jump in with something that looks good first and then figure out where to go after. There's even sites to read comics free to try before buying just like how people read manga.

You like potato chips I like a steak dinner there's the difference. Both are food but both aren't exactly what we're looking for. Just to give you an example I can't stand Kingdom hearts because trying to follow along with anything in that series is a loving nightmare not to mention expensive. I think the term is Kudzu plot and after a certain point I'm not going to make the effort anymore.

Flopsy fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jun 12, 2023

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

BoosterDuck posted:

tbf the biggest anime around, dbz, has a main cast who's died multiple times over

hell the only earthling who hasn't died is the world champ, mr. satan

Don't like that series all that much either for that exact reason.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

sometimes just turning your brain off and enjoying the dumb stuff is fun.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

pixaal posted:

sometimes just turning your brain off and enjoying the dumb stuff is fun.

I've already done that, it's called Pacific Rim and it bloody rules. Watching a giant robot beat the poo poo out a giant monster with a boat like it's a baseball bat was magical.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Flopsy posted:

I've already done that, it's called Pacific Rim and it bloody rules. Watching a giant robot beat the poo poo out a giant monster with a boat like it's a baseball bat was magical.

Pacific Rim: Black was good! I wish it had gotten more seasons but maybe it got enough.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
the soap operas analogy is bad because that would mean the medium is actually mainly for stay at home moms, oh and then their son gets sick for a week and they they bond over soaps.

oh and daily tv breaks from vidoegames is for soaps during the summer.

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

Flopsy posted:

You like potato chips I like a steak dinner there's the difference. Both are food but both aren't exactly what we're looking for. Just to give you an example I can't stand Kingdom hearts because trying to follow along with anything in that series is a loving nightmare not to mention expensive. I think the term is Kudzu plot and after a certain point I'm not going to make the effort anymore.

:rolleyes:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

what brand of potato chips is kingdom hearts

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

The 7th Guest posted:

I dunno brand but it's definitely an All Dressed variety

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

The 7th Guest posted:

Everything but the bagel but it's been drowned in ranch dressing so they're all soggy.

Phat Phingers
May 27, 2023

Ey Frito-Lay! FUH Q MANG!
so Annecy is starting on Thursday I believe. Warner/CN/Adult Swim has their panel on Friday. What news are you guys looking forward to?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Phat Phingers posted:

so Annecy is starting on Thursday I believe. Warner/CN/Adult Swim has their panel on Friday. What news are you guys looking forward to?
mostly that there aren't any more productions shut down :|

i'd like to see Midnight Fight Girl, and whether it has been moved to Adult Swim or not. I feel like that will tell us for sure if Discovery/Zaslav is going all-in on AS over CN

Pachylad
Jul 12, 2017

Not sure if this should go into a general Animation thread (the one in CD?) but Kelly Turnbull's got another thread:

https://twitter.com/Coelasquid/status/1668138339466194946

https://twitter.com/pk_kenzie/status/1668127419881111553

quote:

If you start up on a production and every artist (particularly board artists) not in leadership positions like directors and supervisors are under 30 that’s a HUUUUUGE 🚩🚩🚩Red Flag🚩🚩🚩

Basically it says a) they’re specifically targeting young, hungry people who are less likely to push back if they’re being asked to do unreasonable things because they’re insecure about their careers and b) no one with commitments like kids and mortgages trusts their schedule

“Board Driven” shows especially, as they exist with the current TAG contract, are the biggest con in Hollywood. Board artists are expected to to the ENTIRE job of a writer in addition to the entire job of a board artist with no extra time or compensation.

I say this as someone who LOVES to write; they bank on ambitious, hungry young people who want to prove they can do it all, willing to do at least two jobs (but also often the job of a designer to create all the characters and environments that will be needed)

Out of curiosity I looked up WGA minimums and found that if kid’s cartoons were covered by WGA and artists on Board Driven shows recognized as writers, they would have to pay me more to write an 11 minute episode script than TAG makes them pay me to write AND board it.

cartoons123
Nov 7, 2013

The 7th Guest posted:

mostly that there aren't any more productions shut down :|

i'd like to see Midnight Fight Girl, and whether it has been moved to Adult Swim or not. I feel like that will tell us for sure if Discovery/Zaslav is going all-in on AS over CN

I have the feeling that it mostly likely will be Adult Swim, because well, where else is it gonna air. Cartoon Network doesnt even have 6PM anymore imao:

https://deadline.com/2023/06/adult-swim-expansion-nostalgia-block-checkered-past-cartoon-network-1235398446/

(It's weirdly morbidly funny how at least a couple of months ago, people were worried they were dropping Adult Swim, and it feels like instead the reverse is happening, where they're basically downplaying Cartoon Network beyond being the Kids Brand for Cartoons)

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

I'm hoping we hear something about Uzamaki.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

cartoons123 posted:

I have the feeling that it mostly likely will be Adult Swim, because well, where else is it gonna air. Cartoon Network doesnt even have 6PM anymore imao:

https://deadline.com/2023/06/adult-swim-expansion-nostalgia-block-checkered-past-cartoon-network-1235398446/

(It's weirdly morbidly funny how at least a couple of months ago, people were worried they were dropping Adult Swim, and it feels like instead the reverse is happening, where they're basically downplaying Cartoon Network beyond being the Kids Brand for Cartoons)

What's weird is that I've been hoping for something that allowed for classic CN cartoons to get showcased on the main channel during a time when both kids and adults could see them, but I was hoping that it'd be that new 7PM slot instead of taking another hour from CN's evening.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I'm hoping we hear something about Uzamaki.

Same, it's one if the rare cases where they're treating the subject matter with the respect it deserves. Even that little trailer was absolutely beautiful even a little eerie because you can already see the spirals in the wind.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Pachylad posted:

If you start up on a production and every artist (particularly board artists) not in leadership positions like directors and supervisors are under 30 that’s a HUUUUUGE 🚩🚩🚩Red Flag🚩🚩🚩

Basically it says a) they’re specifically targeting young, hungry people who are less likely to push back if they’re being asked to do unreasonable things because they’re insecure about their careers and b) no one with commitments like kids and mortgages trusts their schedule

“Board Driven” shows especially, as they exist with the current TAG contract, are the biggest con in Hollywood. Board artists are expected to to the ENTIRE job of a writer in addition to the entire job of a board artist with no extra time or compensation.

I say this as someone who LOVES to write; they bank on ambitious, hungry young people who want to prove they can do it all, willing to do at least two jobs (but also often the job of a designer to create all the characters and environments that will be needed)

Out of curiosity I looked up WGA minimums and found that if kid’s cartoons were covered by WGA and artists on Board Driven shows recognized as writers, they would have to pay me more to write an 11 minute episode script than TAG makes them pay me to write AND board it.

The degree to which all these industries have been hosed is so genuinely depressing

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Animation is just sweatshops all the way up.

Oscar aint no Slouch
Apr 29, 2014
Very few cartoons are broadcast live; it's a terrible strain on the animators' wrists.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Oscar aint no Slouch posted:

Very few cartoons are broadcast live; it's a terrible strain on the animators' wrists.

has this ever been attempted as a stunt? Like a team of 100 people doing a live practiced performance that produces a short animation? I'm still leaving only like 10 seconds to finish these frames with this many people but something simple like a stick figure animation has to be doable and still impressive done live.

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

pixaal posted:

has this ever been attempted as a stunt? Like a team of 100 people doing a live practiced performance that produces a short animation? I'm still leaving only like 10 seconds to finish these frames with this many people but something simple like a stick figure animation has to be doable and still impressive done live.

Not hand-drawn, but Simpsons did do a live call-in segment with Homer using computer animation. Technically the did it twice, once each for the east/west coast broadcast feeds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I feell like that's basically the anime industry, with how short their lead time is