Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Granted indie comics also have to a really bad problem with ending properly too. Either they drag things out if they are popular, or they are cancelled early.
Yeah, I'm reading a comic called Thorgal that just wrapped up a huge event. It had multiple spin offs you had to read to understand the story that was, and I'm not kidding here, a bunch of vikings having to stop christianity from being the dominant religion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
... I am a simple man, with simple pleasures. I do not care what happens in the comics. All I want is J. Jonah Jameson angrily demanding pictures of Spider-Man.

:spiderguy:

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I swear Spider-Man must be some sort of Springtime for Hitler deal, because the editors do everything in their power to make people lose interest in him, but he still bounces back every bit popular since the day he was born.
  • Getting him tied up in this clone nonsense for three years.
  • Having Gwen get pregnant by Norman Osborn.
  • Having a comic devoted to his aunt's sex-life.
  • Having him molested in a PSA comic.
  • Trying to spin his dead parents nobody cares about as secret agents.
  • Having him annul his own marriage in a deal with the Devil.
  • Pairing him with a girl named after the editor's daughter.
  • Having him killed and replaced by Doc Ock.
  • Getting his rear end kicked by some guy called Paul,

It's amazing that the movie that kills him off twenty minutes in is the most respectful and forward-thinking take on the character. Though that's because that movie wasn't beholden to the comic editors.

Wasn't the Doc Ock/Superior Spiderman stuff actually pretty good at least?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Volmarias posted:

... I am a simple man, with simple pleasures. I do not care what happens in the comics. All I want is J. Jonah Jameson angrily demanding pictures of Spider-Man.

:spiderguy:

If you're not reading the Newspaper Spider-Man thread then you should be.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

HopperUK posted:

If you're not reading the Newspaper Spider-Man thread then you should be.

I would be delighted if you could post a link!

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Volmarias posted:

I would be delighted if you could post a link!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3845273

Sadly there is no new Newspaper Spider-Man as the strip was canceled a year or two back, but it's well worth reading and people are reposting some classics.

Unkempt has a new favorite as of 13:20 on Jun 12, 2023

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Unkempt posted:

Sadly there is no new Newspaper Spider-Man as the strip was canceled a year or two back, but it's well worth reading and people are reposting some classics.

Beautiful, thank you.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

John Murdoch posted:

Wasn't the Doc Ock/Superior Spiderman stuff actually pretty good at least?

It’s a mess but unlike most spider man comics the main character has a character arc and the story feels like it’s trying to accomplish something which is pretty rare for spider man who is now closer to Homer Simpson

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

When NSM ended it turned out that the people writing, drawing, and inking it were a bunch of retired all star cartoonists (including Larry Liber and Stan Lee, though at the end Stan was only giving the plot outlines)

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Unkempt posted:

Did it have a proper ending?

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

https://www.spidermancrawlspace.com/2019/03/the-end-of-the-spider-man-newspaper-strip-by-roy-thomas-and-alex-saviuk/

There you go. Not really much of an ending. And poo poo, it was four years ago?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

The world is at peace and Spiderman goes on vacation with Mary Jane to Australia.

Then after the final comic someone from the syndicate added in a low quality edit of existing panels where Spidey takes a nap on the plane and starts dreaming of reruns. Which is the perfect newspaper spiderman thread conclusion.

Tunicate has a new favorite as of 16:46 on Jun 12, 2023

MuscaDomestica
Apr 27, 2017

CharlestheHammer posted:

It’s a mess but unlike most spider man comics the main character has a character arc and the story feels like it’s trying to accomplish something which is pretty rare for spider man who is now closer to Homer Simpson

I think they also said it would be temporary and not the new normal.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Tunicate posted:

The world is at peace and Spiderman goes on vacation with Mary Jane to Australia.

Ahhhh, Australia: the Mecca of arachnids

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Tunicate posted:

Then after the final comic someone from the syndicate added in a low quality edit of existing panels where Spidey takes a nap on the plane and starts dreaming of reruns. Which is the perfect newspaper spiderman thread conclusion.

I actually do think this is appropriate and perfect for newspaper Spiderman, which I always considered the only good Spiderman

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Hey, thanks, pal

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

MuscaDomestica posted:

I think they also said it would be temporary and not the new normal.

Well yeah but they do keep being him back.

Hell they are teasing his return this fall making it the fourth time

The third time ended with a deal with the devil

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Even the really good runs usually end up with long term arcs that end up going nowhere because someone else takes over/some dumb huge crossover event fucks everything over.

Granted indie comics also have to a really bad problem with ending properly too. Either they drag things out if they are popular, or they are cancelled early.

Yeah honestly the first comic I ever tried to read was Saga and read up to the point that they took the first big hiatus, and then never got back into it when they came back. It was already way too long and meandering for me at that point. That was probably after the first 2 volumes?

Never cared to try to read any other comics and Saga's supposedly one of the all time greats.

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:
Anyone who wants to start reading comics should start with Grant Morrison's Seven Soldiers or Batman RIP, get confused as poo poo, and stop. This is the best way as you'll decide to stop of your own volition and avoid the downward spiral of caring about comics.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Thanks for posting the link, Unkempt. I was on phone and then I totally forgot

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
I love comics now, but when I was first starting my friends all insisted I HAD to start with Watchmen, and Planetary, and Preacher, and Other Important Literary Graphic Novels. It was like a brick wall to a casual reader.

I'm here to say gently caress that, just go to a real bookstore and pick up Chainsaw Man or Witch Hat Atelier or Delilah Dirk or Brubaker's Criminal. If you have to consult a wiki to know where to start, don't.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
I straight up bounced off comics because I wanted to read about John Constantine after the Keanu movie, and I went into a comic book store and asked what the first one was, and some enormous loser spent forty five minutes explaining how you can't do that.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Captain Monkey posted:

I straight up bounced off comics because I wanted to read about John Constantine after the Keanu movie, and I went into a comic book store and asked what the first one was, and some enormous loser spent forty five minutes explaining how you can't do that.

Stuff like this is why Newspaper Spider-Man was the best superhero comic, you could literally jump in at any time and have the exact same experience of it being comfortably dumb as poo poo at any given moment.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I started with whatever the local library had. Watchmen, Mr Punch, The Kindly Ones. rear end-backwards way of getting into comics but it worked out.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

HopperUK posted:

I started with whatever the local library had. Watchmen, Mr Punch, The Kindly Ones. rear end-backwards way of getting into comics but it worked out.

I'm sorry but did you just say your introduction to Sandman was The Kindly Ones? I can't imagine how wtf that just have been.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Captain Hygiene posted:

Stuff like this is why Newspaper Spider-Man was the best superhero comic, you could literally jump in at any time and have the exact same experience of it being comfortably dumb as poo poo at any given moment.
:hai:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Who can forget one of the all-time greatest villains, That Chauffer, Or Whoever He Was

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
NSM has a great rogue's gallery. Other favorites include:
1) Clown 9. He was just some guy with a clown themed get-up. He was also somehow one of Peter's most challenging foes. But seriously just look at him.
2) A homeless werewolf guy. He was just a werewolf. That was his power. This guy was, of course, defeated by luring him into a planetarium and having it simulate the sunrise. This snapped him out of werewolf form, but also killed him. Sometimes these things happen. Don't worry about it.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

My own short foray into comics was picking up The Runaways, which started out as a fun and fairly self-contained story about the children of a bunch of super-villains, well, running away. That went well enough for a while until some random-rear end secondary characters just sort of dropped in with no introduction, seemingly on the understanding that I should know who they are, and a footnote told me to read an entirely different comic to understand what their deal was. Decided not to bother to chase any of that down.

The only other comic I spent any time on is Kill Six Billion Demons, which does fortunately own a lot, but it's unfortunately not yet finished :argh:

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

Soysaucebeast posted:

I'm sorry but did you just say your introduction to Sandman was The Kindly Ones? I can't imagine how wtf that just have been.

That's how I did it too.

In the nineties when I was 15 or so I managed to get work experience with some CB artists that lived in my town, around the time they were working on 'Death-the time of your life'.

They had a full-on 3 room library of comics that I had unfettered access to, and the artwork for the Kindly Ones grabbed me, so I read that first. I fell in love with it and read the rest very quickly after that.

The name of the artist is Marc Hempel, I really loved 'Breathtaker' as well, it was an early subversion of the superhero genre, that's well worth a look
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breathtaker

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Haifisch posted:

1) Clown 9. He was just some guy with a clown themed get-up. He was also somehow one of Peter's most challenging foes. But seriously just look at him.
2) A homeless werewolf guy. He was just a werewolf. That was his power. This guy was, of course, defeated by luring him into a planetarium and having it simulate the sunrise. This snapped him out of werewolf form, but also killed him. Sometimes these things happen. Don't worry about it.

To be honest I'd be intimidated by a guy with that level of confidence too. He also looks and appears to be acting straight out of Venture Bros.

Also makes me wonder if triggering a werewolf's transformation out of cycle actually could be dangerous to them; a body can only take so much, after all.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Haifisch posted:

That final panel is such a Jack Kirby face.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
Clown 9 was possibly the greatest super villain ever created, I say this with no exaggeration.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

A buddy who worked at a comic store got me to read Demo, which really got me hooked. Also Criminal, 100 Bullets and Transmetropolitan. Although I quickly learned to avoid a certain type of people who dressed like Spider Jerusalem, it was like the comic fan version of the fedora stereotype.

E: oh yeah, Black Hole was the first he gave me. That was pretty mindblowing for somebody who basically only knew Spider-Man. I should really read that again.

Fruits of the sea has a new favorite as of 07:50 on Jun 13, 2023

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Haifisch posted:

Not only does Clown-9 look like a badass, he drives a bitchin’ duckymobile.

That the MCU hasn’t centered an entire film arc around him is proof enough of its poor quality.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
I need a toy of the clown-9 car

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Soysaucebeast posted:

While I didn't start with the Kindly Ones I didn't start with Preludes & Nocturnes either. I started with whatever my lokal library had in store.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I remember going into a comic shop that had a couple of issues of Transmet and I asked if I could get back issues so I could read the whole thing, and they acted like I was asking for all the world's diamonds

So I read it on CDisplay

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Brawnfire posted:

I remember going into a comic shop that had a couple of issues of Transmet and I asked if I could get back issues so I could read the whole thing, and they acted like I was asking for all the world's diamonds

So I read it on CDisplay

I bought the Transmet 'Absolute' books I & II as a gift, intending to get the full set before giving them - turns out the final Absolute Book III got a drastically reduced print run, is rocking-horse-poo poo-and-hens-teeth rare and commands frankly ridiculous asking prices even pre-owned. I hope they do a reprint someday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Soysaucebeast posted:

Yep! I managed to work it out.