Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

MuadDib Atreides posted:

Hush Keycap set came thru

have you tried putting the spacebar on backwards

it's good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MuadDib Atreides
Apr 22, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

repiv posted:

have you tried putting the spacebar on backwards

it's good

Is my spacebar backwards?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

it's on the "correct" way but many people prefer to put it on the other way because the angle meets your thumb better

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

repiv posted:

it's on the "correct" way but many people prefer to put it on the other way because the angle meets your thumb better

Yeah, flipped spacebar feels nice. Looks goofy, but my thumb rests more naturally on the top of it.

MuadDib Atreides
Apr 22, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
I will give it a go. What's ticking me off is they didint' include a purple \| key

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

Gearman posted:

Yeah, flipped spacebar feels nice. Looks goofy, but my thumb rests more naturally on the top of it.

I never knew about this trick, just flipped my spacebar and my thumbs are very very happy with me right now :swoon:

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
Why do keyboards even come with feet? Don’t they just make your wrists sit at a worse angle?

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

teraflame posted:

Why do keyboards even come with feet? Don’t they just make your wrists sit at a worse angle?

it's a fetish thing

MuadDib Atreides
Apr 22, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
backwards space key quite comfy...

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

teraflame posted:

Typewriters and early computer keyboards had a much steeper pitch. I'm pretty sure the feet are there to mimic earlier keyboards. (The feet on a classic IBM model F or M were really tall.)

Not sure exactly why, 2 good possibilities:
1. For typewriters the rake between rows could have mechanical implications. Maybe you need a minimum amount of z-offset between rows so that the T never interferes with the G.
2. In the days when touch typing was a rare skill, angling the keys towards the user's view made it easier to see what letter you were looking for.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

and yes, conventional wisdom is that the angle on a standard keyboard is bad for ergonomics

ergo keyboards are either completely flat, or tented so the center is raised instead of the back

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Does anyone have any suggestions for a good curved mechanical keyboard? I've been using Logitech K350s for almost 20 years and was wondering if there was a mechanical one similar to that.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

that specific layout doesn't really exist in mechanical form, i think the closest thing you'll find is the "alice" layout which is curved but split down the middle

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Hello mod can you please unprobe Nom? Your probe of him was harsh.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

Charles Bukowski posted:

This will end well.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

repiv posted:

that specific layout doesn't really exist in mechanical form, i think the closest thing you'll find is the "alice" layout which is curved but split down the middle

That's plenty close enough, thanks! I've just come to not like straight keyboard layouts over the many years since I switched to a curved one.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Charles Bukowski posted:

post about the little number you just copped and i will consider it

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer

Wizard of the Deep posted:

This will end well.

I hope so, I miss him.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Machai posted:

That's plenty close enough, thanks! I've just come to not like straight keyboard layouts over the many years since I switched to a curved one.

you could consider one of these, depending on whether you want plastic or metal, and whether you need the F row

https://www.keychron.com/products/keychron-v8-alice-layout-qmk-custom-mechanical-keyboard
https://www.keychron.com/products/keychron-v10-alice-layout-qmk-custom-mechanical-keyboard
https://www.keychron.com/products/keychron-q8-alice-layout-qmk-custom-mechanical-keyboard
https://www.keychron.com/products/keychron-q10-alice-layout-qmk-custom-mechanical-keyboard

keychron has a bit of a mixed reputation for customer support but there isn't a lot of choice for in-stock alice keyboards, especially if you want an F row

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
I LOVE GIVING MY TAX MONEY AND MY PERSONAL INCOME TO UKRAINE, SLAVA
https://epomaker.com/products/epomaker-alice-qmk-via-diy-kit?variant=44113186488628

Another alice layout keyboard, but from a different company. You'll have to supply your own switches and keycaps, though. You can get yourself some nice clone keycaps from Amazon or Aliexpress, or you could purchase everything you need from epomaker if you do like this board.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The apparent official seller of Domikey keycaps, Kprepublic, has advertised a 20% sale this week, but when I attempted to buy an $80 set, I was assessed $30 in taxes. The same set has been on amazon for the same price with a bunch of extra stuff. Is it normal for stuff bought from China to have like 40% taxes, or is there something wrong with their site?

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
https://kono.store/collections/on-sale-collection/products/kono-67d-keyboard

The Kono 67 was mentioned at some point earlier in this thread, and is currently on some sort of sale? It doesn't list regular price for me so dunno how much. Also here in the frigid northlands the shipping is an additional 100% so I'm not getting one, but maybe someone here can benefit.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

2 years and 2 months later ePBT aesthetic finally came in (a week back). Just put stuff on today and it’s cool. It was not worth the wait but I’m glad it’s finally here. I just hit white novelties but maybe should have gotten green? And maybe some more of the coloured space bars. Those are still available so I may get em.

Just need a matching cable now since RocketCables folded. They were gonna do a Pantone color matched cable set but this took so loving long and they were only making it when the keys released. The mat came in last year so it’s been a huge tease waiting for these keys.

The Ducky One2 mini has been fine but I really miss easy access to certain keys and may move back up to a TKL. Plus I can use more of these expensive things I bought.

Vintersorg fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jun 14, 2023

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
Has anyone had any connection issues with their Keychron K10? I bought mine less than a year ago and it's been great up till now, but it's just started acting up recently. It seems to turn itself off and on (or disconnect, then reconnect) randomly. It usually takes <5 seconds between the disconnect and reconnect, after which point it runs fine until the next time it happens. I can't seem to figure out the root cause. It only seems to happen when I'm actively typing (as in, it doesn't happen when I'm just sitting there staring at it waiting for it to happen spontaneously). It happens in both wired and wireless mode, and I've tried hard resetting it to no avail. When I googled it I came across a bluetooth fix (turning off some power saving setting), but I can't access that setting (I'm on a work computer), and in any case the issue happens in wired mode. Anyone seen this before and/or have a fix? Hoping my next post isn't a [tell] me which keyboard to buy post.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

Ok so this is super weird and I think the keyboard is physically damaged. I can now reliably reproduce the issue by pressing the tab button (or really any button in that area of the keyboard) forcefully. It doesn't happen with a normal press, just a forceful one (which apparently I tend to do a lot??) The tab button is directly above the keyboard's toggle switches, so my theory is that my Forceful Tab Press (FTP) is causing an issue with one of the switches. Seems like a physical issue with the keyboard as opposed to a software issue, so I guess I'm in the market for a new one? I could probably take it apart and maybe fix it if it's just a soldering issue or something, but :effort:

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

moon demon posted:

Ok so this is super weird and I think the keyboard is physically damaged. I can now reliably reproduce the issue by pressing the tab button (or really any button in that area of the keyboard) forcefully. It doesn't happen with a normal press, just a forceful one (which apparently I tend to do a lot??) The tab button is directly above the keyboard's toggle switches, so my theory is that my Forceful Tab Press (FTP) is causing an issue with one of the switches. Seems like a physical issue with the keyboard as opposed to a software issue, so I guess I'm in the market for a new one? I could probably take it apart and maybe fix it if it's just a soldering issue or something, but :effort:

I don't know what they look like internally but it could definitely be the switch legs or something else on the PCB flexing down and touching the on/off switch stuff underneath. Maybe the switches have some broken solder and it's just disconnecting and turning "off" when you push hard enough. I'd probably take it apart and take a look, it might be a simple fix.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

Rexxed posted:

I don't know what they look like internally but it could definitely be the switch legs or something else on the PCB flexing down and touching the on/off switch stuff underneath. Maybe the switches have some broken solder and it's just disconnecting and turning "off" when you push hard enough. I'd probably take it apart and take a look, it might be a simple fix.

Yeah I think you're right. I'll probably take it apart and check it out. Still pretty annoyed with Keychron quality control though, I bought this less than a year ago.

Speaking of quality control, what are the best quality keyboards & brands these days? I'm poking around, perhaps looking for some replacement recommendations.

My needs are:
- Full size, i.e. with tenkey
- Don't care about wireless
- Prefer dedicated media buttons (play/pause, next song, volume buttons or scroll wheel)
- I like clicky keys, but don't feel super strongly about cherry branded or not
- Don't feel strongly about fancy LEDs or whatever
- Budget is whatever

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I AM GRANDO posted:

The apparent official seller of Domikey keycaps, Kprepublic, has advertised a 20% sale this week, but when I attempted to buy an $80 set, I was assessed $30 in taxes. The same set has been on amazon for the same price with a bunch of extra stuff. Is it normal for stuff bought from China to have like 40% taxes, or is there something wrong with their site?

That sounds like plain old lovely marketing practices. I bet the "taxes" are only $10 when they aren't on sale.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Quick question.

I bought a Durgod Fusion when it was still on Kickstarter in '21. Love it. But it doesn't connect via the 2.4GHz dongle anymore. Bluetooth and USB still work fine. But over 2.4, it keeps blinking its LED to indicate that it's still looking. Doesn't matter which USB port I use for the dongle.

Anyone recognize this issue and know a fix or should I consider it toast?

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

I AM GRANDO posted:

Victim of Trump's China tarrifs?

mewse
May 2, 2006

The kprepublic web site is wack for ordering vs their aliexpress shop

MuadDib Atreides
Apr 22, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
Actually they’re on Amazon with three month return policy

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Yeah, I wish their site had sold things for the advertised price. I’ll just buy for the same price from amazon later.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

moon demon posted:

I think the feet probably completely clear the switch. It's more likely that the housing that holds the toggle switch together failed like mine did.

Housing bent from typing, plastic bits fell out, keyboard no longer works. I replaced it and it worked and then I gave it away.

NocnaShada
Nov 10, 2015
Can anyone suggest switches based on me REALLY liking Kailh box navies and jades, but want them to be as silent as possible?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

NocnaShada posted:

Can anyone suggest switches based on me REALLY liking Kailh box navies and jades, but want them to be as silent as possible?

I was primarily using a board with box navy. Grabbed a new prebuilt with epomaker budgerigar switches.

Similar feeling, lighter, super quiet.

Have not tried them side by side in the same board with anything else yet, but I doubt this cheap board is this much quieter than my gmmk pro.

Here's the setup I randomly grabbed.

https://a.co/d/bzwF2D4

MuadDib Atreides
Apr 22, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

I AM GRANDO posted:

Yeah, I wish their site had sold things for the advertised price. I’ll just buy for the same price from amazon later.

What color way are you copping op ?

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

NocnaShada posted:

Closest you'll probably find it's something like the Boba U4. Unfortunately, in order to get strong tactility, like Box Navies and Jades, you get a lot of noise from the bar click. A switch like the Boba U4 won't feel as tactile, but it will be incredibly quiet.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Gearman posted:

Closest you'll probably find it's something like the Boba U4. Unfortunately, in order to get strong tactility, like Box Navies and Jades, you get a lot of noise from the bar click. A switch like the Boba U4 won't feel as tactile, but it will be incredibly quiet.

Those are on my list to test out. I've been "pro clicky" forever, tried MX browns years ago and hated em.

I guess I start dabbling more into tactile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
There’s always topre. Silenced ones sound the best.