Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

rannum posted:

Out of curiosity is any of the Chinese in these Nancy comics actual, like, sentences or characters or is it all just gibberish top to bottom.

I would just assume the latter but the characters seem written so cleanly that I wonder if he at least copied those over even if the sentences are gibberish.

I think I read somewhere that it was mahjong tiles or something, but I can’t find a source for that now. At least it wasn’t in the book I’ve been scanning

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pogo 11/23-25/50

Archie 7/20/47

Panel 2: Archie, fully clothed, looking into the lake.
Panel 3: Archie, naked, being thrown into the lake.

I think Bob skipped over too much of the action there... although "crimping land sharks" is pretty good.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Haraiso Days

Cthulhu and Girl

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Hwurmp posted:

Wimpy killed a man and ate him

arf arf

he will gladly kill today for a hamburger today

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Retail

Popcom

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av

Truly, the best edits are often the simplest

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

theironjef posted:

I have this vague memory of On The Fast Track having like plots and characters and stuff. Like there was a big mustache guy and a tiny dude with sunglasses or something? It wasn't 100% "office jobs are like this visual metaphor" right?
In my vague memory it was based more around the redheaded woman who appears sporadically now as one step above Dethany in the company. A lot more with the big dude and the little guy too (who also still appear sporadically). The redhead and the big dude are married maybe?

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

"How much weed do you think that would buy?"

Andertoons

Flash Gordon

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Steeple 16: Hell on Wheels Part 1

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Steeple website

John Allison posted:

What has happened here, I don't know? Let's just be happy that Reverend Penrose has not been terribly injured in an automotive fracas.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

The_Other posted:

Regular readers of this thread might also know Ham Fisher from his years long feud with Al Capp, a feud that eventualy contributed to Fisher taking his own life in 1955. Denis Kitchen and Michael Schumacher covered some if the feud in their biography of Capp; Al Capp: a Life to the Contrary. The wikipedia article on Fisher gives a brief summary of the feud, and the late comics historian R.C. Harvey did a nine part series on The Comics Journal website, which goes into more detail about the feud as well as giving a theory on why Ham Fisher kept the feud going.

I maintain that someone should make a movie about the Ham Fisher and Al Capp feud just because of how wild it got.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

The Opposite Of Whenever A Cartoon Makes Either A Cow Or Bull Trans

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Mister Beeg posted:

I maintain that someone should make a movie about the Ham Fisher and Al Capp feud just because of how wild it got.

The problem is I don't think you have a sympathetic character until you get Lee Falk going "wait, this is hosed up" when Al Capp is crowing about Fisher's death at a party.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
It's A Sketchy Life for June 9, 1927! Our cover this week is from Russell Patterson.

Marge:

Ethel Plummer:

James Montgomery Flagg:

"WE" (always in caps) was Charles Lindbergh's first memoir of his Spirit of St. Louis crossing, which came out in July. The dust jacket maintained that it was indicative of the spiritual partnership between him and his airplane, although the publisher picked the title for Lindy without his knowledge. He'd sometimes say later on that "we" is more applicable to the relationship between him and his financial backers.

Ned Hilton:

Ellison Hoover:

Don Herold:

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

How was that for you, Mary? Did you get a little thrill breaking that old man apart? Bet seeing those tears roll down his cheek makes you feel powerful, huh?

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

why the hell would you tell him this, do you want to break his shriveled old man heart even more or something?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I dont like the mary worth story but also i do kinda want to see which of mary's acquaintances will somehow be the key to this

probably someone brings a dog into the vet that helps him figure it out but maybe it's something bizarre

also looking at the old guy's house with everything revolving around the little dog reminds me that my dog has cancer and i won't have her much longer :smith:

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

Mary: Now you see why I’ve come for this little visit visit.

Saul: [rising and sliding open hidden wall] Yes, Mary. I was a fool to think I could ever wash my hands of everything anyway. [Assembles rifle from hidden weapons cache]

Mary: [lights cigar] Now that’s the Saul I remember. [Pulls slide on pistol]

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Shugojin posted:

also looking at the old guy's house with everything revolving around the little dog reminds me that my dog has cancer and i won't have her much longer :smith:

You have my condolences, I recently lost a cat the same way and it's just... awful.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Shugojin posted:

I dont like the mary worth story but also i do kinda want to see which of mary's acquaintances will somehow be the key to this

probably someone brings a dog into the vet that helps him figure it out but maybe it's something bizarre

Has Wilbur been back since he was dumped? Maybe Mary’s following proper couple-friend break-up protocol and chose Estelle as the half to stay friends with.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Fingerpori

The original text mentions a specific type of curtains that are slightly thicker so that they block light fully, but I couldn't find a good translation quickly and thought just "curtain" worked fine.

ANSU

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!

Hempuli posted:

Fingerpori

The original text mentions a specific type of curtains that are slightly thicker so that they block light fully, but I couldn't find a good translation quickly and thought just "curtain" worked fine.

Sounds like blackout curtains (which are indeed awesome for sleeping late in the summertime)

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Don't mind me; I'm just showing off that I caught the Sharon the Ferryman reference.

Scary Gary

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
1980 comics

Dick Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I swear these Sunday Lockhorns get smaller every time you post them. I can't even read that.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Did he really eat the Minotaur?

thisusedyet
Feb 14, 2012

My post... it sucks!!!

fondue posted:

Did he really eat the Minotaur?

Not yet, but he's working on it

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
Krazy Kat(February 18, 1917)

Little Nemo(July 15, 1906)

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Sep. 15, 1957)

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Buni

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 6/11/03

Brenda Starr 2/26-28/51

Smokey Stover 3/13/55

Everyday Movies 7/3/36

"I'm so glad to see the busses and railroads are fighting over rates. I hope they get down to practically nothing, then maybe we can take a trip."

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 8/25-27/41

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Haifisch posted:

1980 comics

Did they ever stop drawing Lt. Flap as a bad 70s TV pimp?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

eventually but I don't know when exactly

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1943

:negative:

Pluggers

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Retail

Popcom

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Mister Kingdom posted:

Did they ever stop drawing Lt. Flap as a bad 70s TV pimp?

Yeah, when they stopped drawing him at all.

Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Selachian posted:

Everyday Movies 7/3/36

"I'm so glad to see the busses and railroads are fighting over rates. I hope they get down to practically nothing, then maybe we can take a trip."

Hah

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Shugojin posted:

You have my condolences. It’s never easy.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

The Demons of Baseball

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Bongo Bill posted:

I swear these Sunday Lockhorns get smaller every time you post them. I can't even read that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Still behind but just wondering, what was the resolution to the plotline about Bets being agitated that Gunther was keeping her living in the house a secret from his mother? Or was there one?