Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Update on Star Citizen sound design.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Looking forward to the modding community implementing the BMM in Starfield before CIG in SC. :gary:

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Waiting for the mod to turn dragons into Thomas the tank engine. Also to add dragons.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
This is all part of Croberts’ master plan. He will release SQ42 one day before Starfield launches and steal all of their sales.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

dr_rat posted:

Waiting for the mod to turn dragons into Thomas the tank engine. Also to add dragons.

There's a thousand planets, one of them is going to have alien "dragons".

NGL, disappointed there are cowboy-cosplay spacemen. "It's a frontier, just like the western frontier, get it?" is the lamest poo poo.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Xakura posted:

There's a thousand planets, one of them is going to have alien "dragons".

NGL, disappointed there are cowboy-cosplay spacemen. "It's a frontier, just like the western frontier, get it?" is the lamest poo poo.

Unfortunately Firefly continues to inspire hack writers everywhere.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
Well, I watched the showcase thing, which means I've now watched more Starfield material than Shart Citizen material. Felt it was a bit rude to have Todd Howard standing behind the camera pointing a gun at those folks talking, but hey, whatever you need to do to get the shot, right.

Either way, not by design (Bethesda does not give a poo poo about CInG, nor should they) but simply by virtue of the kind of game it is, it seemed perfectly tuned to turn Shart Citizen into Salt Saltizen... piracy? smuggling? salvage? mining? ship-to-ship boarding? gunplay? build your own ship? paint it any colour you like? walk through your ship? build a fleet? build settlements? a thousand procedurally-generated planets? exploration? companions? a through-line story/quest? lore? aliens? alien creatures? expensive (and poo poo) tie-in peripherals? (remember when we used to call things like that peripherals)

Literally all these points are never-been-done-before articles of faith for saltizens.

Amazing stuff.

And it's out in three months.

I might even play it, in six years or so.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

I'll play it when the modding community adds alien tits and transparent space suits where you can see tits and the planets have nipples

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

smoobles posted:

I'll play it when the modding community adds alien tits and transparent space suits where you can see tits and the planets have nipples

So, day one?

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.
Bethesda has lost the plot. They need to be charging individually for every paint colour on every separate ship. You can't just give things away like that.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

So... I take it the Star Citizens didn't react well to Starfield?

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Randalor posted:

I went to check the starcitizen reddit and its been set to private so I'd say it's going great.

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016
..wherein Gordon gets duped by a paid Tiktok shill peddling Store Citizer...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnFTy7VdiFQ

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Aramoro posted:

I went to check the starcitizen reddit and its been set to private so I'd say it's going great.

Nothing to do with Starfield which probably is going to be "good for Star Citizen" (tm). That would be the general Reddit protest against the new Reddit API terms. A bunch of subreddits are going private for a day or two to show their corporate overlords that they are the ones in control. Of course, after a couple days it'll likely be business as usual once again, so, eh.

See https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/145s613/rgames_and_the_june_1214_shutdown/ for a bit more of an explanation. And note that for example, r/games doesn't join because you know, it would interfere with Ubi Soft and Capcom announcements! :stonk:

FishMcCool fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Jun 12, 2023

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://i.imgur.com/F8EtYjb.mp4

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Randalor posted:

quote:

ROFL..

Like hair that flows and moves when you move or in the wind?
Like a unified 1st and 3rd person character rig?
Like physicalised cargo boxes with contents inside?
Like the ability to manually fit and remove ship modules?
Like ships and other physical structures that can bend and distort?
Like fire propagation?
Like.. no loading screens?
Like fully simulated water body physics?
Like healing gameplay that goes from hospitals through to med-guns?
Like multicrew?
Like mining with different ships, swappable components and modules as well as handheld and wheeled vehicles, with refining aboard ships and stations?

The list could go on, and on, but I'm sure these are enough to ponder.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

and like 1 of those things you can actually do / is in the game currently

good job wizzcat

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

Somebody tell that poor soul that there are still loading screens even if the actual loading bit is hidden behind the standing around and waiting for something part.

Also Dark Souls 3 has hair and clothes moving with the wind, depending on character orientation.

giZm fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Jun 12, 2023

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Mirificus posted:

*Monoclecat pontificating into the void*

Wow, those all sound great! Let me know when a finished game has all those!

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
Starfield let's you build your own ships, CIG missed out on creating a factory ship jpg unless they sold one since I stopped following this. Also it's a funny Starfield went with "Constellation" skin as higher end in game reward, I think the constellation was the focus of the livestream at the end of the kick-start for CIG.

Not going to be surprised at all if some kind of multiplayer is planned for Starfield, not a full mmo but Star Citizen will never be that anyway.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

They're freaking out about Starfield now, and they will again when it releases, but in like a few days it'll be business as usual. The whales who pay thousands for Star Citizen will never give up the dream.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Rotten Red Rod posted:

They're freaking out about Starfield now, and they will again when it releases, but in like a few days it'll be business as usual. The whales who pay thousands for Star Citizen will never give up the dream.

It's also an eternal "god in the gaps" situation. Whenever some game does similar things to the hypothetical SC promises, they just ignore them and point out more and more irrelevant niche things.

Like that last Monocle Cat post. Those are pretty minor technical details. Who cares about 100% realistic water simulation, when your game only has one river with zero physics and it's not even modeled using any logic about water flow.

And when a game implements those things, he will point out more niche things like "Realistically modeled egg cooking physics"

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Speak for yourself, I'm boycotting Starfield because of its lack of fire propagation

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
The Cat is shook. A list of grasping-at-straws non-sequitur nonsense instead of the usual unstoppable torrent of :words:?

SHOOK.

He's so salty he's giving us hypertension.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

quote:

Haven't you heard? The Star Map is being reworked.

Noticed a few things:
No EVA
No piloting to space.
No view of pilot landing via controls.
No physicalised cargo.
No ship in ship.
No ship to ship refueling.
No permanent damage to anything but destroyed ships.
Not a single strand of hair moved.
No healing / medical gameplay.

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

Until Starfield implements the feature of feeling regret and despondence of spending tens of thousands of dollars on an unreleased game and endlessly talking about it until your wife leaves you, it just isn't going to have the full featureset that piss cat needs.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

poo poo, no healing / medical gameplay in my space game? I'm out.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Worst thing to come from today.

Aqua Seafoam Shame
Aug 20, 2018

by astral
Ubisoft coming in hot with their open-world Star Wars game, with on-planet locations and space flight. Probably not as flexible overall as Starfield, but like it it is a game that will be released, so it has that going for it over SC.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Hell, I'm just excited to get a Star Wars game where the main character isn't a jedi.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
Like hair that flows and moves when you move or in the wind?

- game's hair implementation is exceptionally minimal

Like a unified 1st and 3rd person character rig?

- not unified

Like physicalised cargo boxes with contents inside?

- this will never happen

Like the ability to manually fit and remove ship modules?

- not implemented

Like ships and other physical structures that can bend and distort?

- not implemented. also, why

Like fire propagation?

- completely nonexistent

Like.. no loading screens?

- there's loading screens

Like fully simulated water body physics?

- completely nonexistent, and won't happen

Like healing gameplay that goes from hospitals through to med-guns?

- healing gameplay is "medpen" or "green healing ray" or "you died and the hospital is the respawn point"

Like multicrew?

- finally! yes, this is implemented, and tedious

Like mining with different ships, swappable components and modules as well as handheld and wheeled vehicles, with refining aboard ships and stations?

- ???

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

Kavros posted:

- healing gameplay is "medpen" or "green healing ray" or "you died and the hospital is the respawn point"

Look the only reason it currently is the medpen is because they are currently working on a system that simulates every vein, muscle fiber and fat cell and when they are done they will not only implement a revolutionary new medical gameplay into the game, they'll also license their technology. And it won't just revolutionize games, it will turn the entire medical field on it's head. The advances coming from it may actually save billions of lives in the long run.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

It is funny that the QAnon "medbed" grifters often use pictures from Star Citizen to show them off.

"Ignore the t-posing NPCs"

Aqua Seafoam Shame
Aug 20, 2018

by astral
The hair obsession is loving hilarious.

"1000 worlds? Full ship and crew customization? Pfft, the hair sucks, my dude."

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Star Citizen characters look awful all around, like there's something very off about them.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Aqua Seafoam Shame posted:

The hair obsession is loving hilarious.

Oh you should see this feather physics were going to introduce, it's literally a game changer! No there are no plans to introduce birds why do people keep asking that???

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.
Been gone for a bit, was going to ask if it is dead yet.

However, 2 open world sci fi release announcements back to back should ensure another year's worth of commando whining/what aboutism/delusion.

Carry On.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Aqua Seafoam Shame posted:

Ubisoft coming in hot with their open-world Star Wars game, with on-planet locations and space flight. Probably not as flexible overall as Starfield, but like it it is a game that will be released, so it has that going for it over SC.

Unfortunately the only evidence profferred so far for Outlaws is a video that's Sandworm-level scripted and faked. But as you say, Ubisoft has a history of actually shipping games, and there's no reason to believe that barely functional tech demo Star Wars Outlaws won't become a functional released game by 2024 and probably long before Sq42.

Aqua Seafoam Shame
Aug 20, 2018

by astral

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Unfortunately the only evidence profferred so far for Outlaws is a video that's Sandworm-level scripted and faked. But as you say, Ubisoft has a history of actually shipping games, and there's no reason to believe that barely functional tech demo Star Wars Outlaws won't become a functional released game by 2024 and probably long before Sq42.

It looked to me like The Division, but Star Wars. Agreed that the cut scenes seemed a little sketch. But the open-world-but-really-linear-levels template is classic Massive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Star Citizen: Not a single strand of hair moved.