Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

InspectorCarbonara posted:

Loid is going to lose a fight he could otherwise win because when he’s ready to deal the killing blow he imagines how sad Yor would be.

I mean, that's literally what has already happened in the last few pages of this chapter. Any other pursuer would be dead by now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Yuri and Loud reluctantly agree they can't murder each other because that would make Yor sad.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
yuri will definitely find out but be paralyzed by the knowledge because he cannot report loid without his sister being imprisoned/executed by the government for being a traitor, what with being married to Twilight of all people, and yuri would likely get targeted as well

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
One of them dies but they never show which. The series then phases other characters out and follows Yuri going through life while the audience never knows if it's actually Yuri or Twilight in a mask.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

yuri will definitely find out but be paralyzed by the knowledge because he cannot report loid without his sister being imprisoned/executed by the government for being a traitor, what with being married to Twilight of all people, and yuri would likely get targeted as well

yuri would definitely believe he could report loid without endangering yor. he believes in the system that he is a part of, what with being a nasty little fascist.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

yuri would definitely believe he could report loid without endangering yor. he believes in the system that he is a part of, what with being a nasty little fascist.
Eh, I think he knows the system he is a part of even if he is a true believer, and knows about what happens to collaborators, which she would absolutely be marked as

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Huh, Yuri realizing that Loid is Twilight, but being unable to take any overt actions with SSS, because Yor would be caught in the crossfire is something I didn't think about, but it would make a perfect escalation.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Yuri will get shot in the rear end

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Yuri isn't that dumb, he knows how Yor would be viewed even if she accidentally (and suddenly) became the wife of one of the most notorious spys of all. He knows they'd, at most, arrest her, or at least she would be shunned from public life completely and likely devastated. Yuri knows what happens to the families of spies, and I don't think he is so dense to think he could protect Yor from the state.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Loid could also blackmail Yuri with informing Yor about how her brother is secret police.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
ultimately, yuri isn't important enough to be the first to find out loid's identity. he's not loid's counterpart and equal; he's a minor antagonist.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

ultimately, yuri isn't important enough to be the first to find out loid's identity. he's not loid's counterpart and equal; he's a minor antagonist.

The peanut already knows, Loid's identity is fair game now. :getin:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Brought To You By posted:

The peanut already knows, Loid's identity is fair game now. :getin:

Yes but Anya controls the Peanut, she is really the dark person in the shadows you have to fear.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

yuri is an up-and-coming promising upstart of the secret police, I think they're making him out to be loid's foil. I don't think anyone else shown so far compares, or at least is as "interesting" a character.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Captain Invictus posted:

yuri is an up-and-coming promising upstart of the secret police, I think they're making him out to be loid's foil. I don't think anyone else shown so far compares, or at least is as "interesting" a character.

He's a thug that has never done anything remotely competent in any appearance he's ever had and the only reason he isn't dead is Loid caught feelings from his fake family. Yuri got effortlessly dropped twice in this single encounter. He's not being setup for anything but a joke with a sister complex.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Mulva posted:

He's a thug that has never done anything remotely competent in any appearance he's ever had and the only reason he isn't dead is Loid caught feelings from his fake family. Yuri got effortlessly dropped twice in this single encounter. He's not being setup for anything but a joke with a sister complex.

I too forgot the chapter where Yuri tracked down that one guy spreading propaganda while also giving the man the courtesy of not loving over his father or reputation. The fact that Yuri isn't on the same level as Twilight, the best agent in WISE's roster, is really irrelevant here.

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

Mulva posted:

i think the first time was loid changing his disguise and just pretending to be a knocked out yuri

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

stuker posted:

i think the first time was loid changing his disguise and just pretending to be a knocked out yuri

Yeah, knocked out Yuri was Loid, real Yuri was able to then immediately figure out that Twilight was disguised as him and track him down into the sewers because despite his many, many, MANY flaws Yuri's still a genuinely good detective.

But good detective or not you can't out smart a gun so we'll see what happens next.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Lloyd, that was both a very bad time and a very good time to catch actual feelings. Seriously, you knew Yuri was going to be there counterspying; on the other hand, killing Yuri would murder any chance of real love* with Yor and we're not here for that.

*defined as, amongst other things, no keeping biggaton secrets such as "Lloyd is Twilight" and "Yor is the Thorn Princess"

But I'm glad(?**) Yuri is shown to be competent at his job even if not Twilight or Yor level.
He's similar to his sister: a cuckoo in interpersonal relationship off the clock and a monster decent worker on the clock.

**on the other hand he's Stasi so maybe it'd be better if he wasn't?

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Loid kiss your wife's brother

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

Loid hesitating to kill his brother in law is a good thing and I hope it becomes a big deal in the story.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Mulva posted:

that's why I said he's a promising upstart, he's only 20 years old, a pretty new recruit to the SSS, and immediately was able to deduce something was up when loid impersonated him. If he managed to shoot loid here in the sewers, that's far more than most people have accomplished against loid in the series. That is impressive regardless of if he is a fuckup in regards to anything involving his sister. Remember he is also a master interrogator that the higher ups appreciate his methods, again despite being relatively new to his job.

I don't really like Yuri but disregarding him as a joke is exactly what the series wants you to think with the "being a dipshit with anything regarding his sister" gimmick.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Jun 12, 2023

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Captain Invictus posted:

that's why I said he's a promising upstart, he's only 20 years old, a pretty new recruit to the SSS, and immediately was able to deduce something was up when loid impersonated him. If he managed to shoot loid here in the sewers, that's far more than most people have accomplished against loid in the series. That is impressive regardless of if he is a fuckup in regards to anything involving his sister. Remember he is also a master interrogator that the higher ups appreciate his methods, again despite being relatively new to his job.

I don't really like Yuri but disregarding him as a joke is exactly what the series wants you to think with the "being a dipshit with anything regarding his sister" gimmick.

I mean its obvious that the plot places Yuri as Loids biggest threat, to that end he is effectively the deuteragonist of the series, both aiding Yor/Anya (and indirectly, Loid) while opposing Loid professionally without realizing it.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I know that, but that guy is saying yuri is a nobody, when that's clearly not the case and not what the series is doing with him

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Captain Invictus posted:

I know that, but that guy is saying yuri is a nobody, when that's clearly not the case and not what the series is doing with him

Yeah I was just backing up what you said.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Yuri isn't like a total nobody but this is way overselling him. I mean the fact that Loid is in a tough spot right now has nothing to do with him - it's his boss at the SSS that set up the trap. The fact that he is able to spot that it's Twilight also is because Loid chose to disguise himself as Yuri specifically. He has never demonstrated any ability to see through Loid's disguises previous to this. Yuri was able to fight a group of untrained hostage taking thugs but that doesn't come close to the superhuman degree of competence various characters have.

As far as the overall plot of the series is concerned, Yuri is a fairly minor obstacle on a similar tier to Nightfall. The biggest threat to Loid is Desmond, or whoever he is working for.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Jun 12, 2023

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Fangz posted:

As far as the overall plot of the series is concerned, Yuri is a fairly minor obstacle on a similar tier to Nightfall. The biggest threat to Loid is Desmond Daybreak.

:colbert:

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Daybreak is the true hero of the story

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
nothing can really change with yuri right now. he can't die or be seriously hurt, because that would eventually ruin loid's marriage. likewise, he can't learn or even suspect anything because loid would immediately bail.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Fangz posted:

Yuri isn't like a total nobody but this is way overselling him. I mean the fact that Loid is in a tough spot right now has nothing to do with him - it's his boss at the SSS that set up the trap. The fact that he is able to spot that it's Twilight also is because Loid chose to disguise himself as Yuri specifically. He has never demonstrated any ability to see through Loid's disguises previous to this. Yuri was able to fight a group of untrained hostage taking thugs but that doesn't come close to the superhuman degree of competence various characters have.

As far as the overall plot of the series is concerned, Yuri is a fairly minor obstacle on a similar tier to Nightfall. The biggest threat to Loid is Desmond, or whoever he is working for.

I think you're underselling him a little here. He heard the gun shots, saw the footprints, and was then immediately able to correctly guess Twilight's entire plan to use the sewers to escape. Dude did a good job.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I think you're underselling him a little here. He heard the gun shots, saw the footprints, and was then immediately able to correctly guess Twilight's entire plan to use the sewers to escape. Dude did a good job.
And then he goes to confront Twilight, alone, knowing that Twilight is disguised as him, telling nobody that this is the case.

I will not be surprised if Loid will be able to turn this whole thing to his advantage, calmly climb out of the sewers as Yuri, and complete his mission.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jun 12, 2023

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
I'm surprised Loid let his emotions affect his job here; I think old Loid wouldn't have hesitated to fire. He may get bitten here for his softness although I suspect he's not the one who got shot.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

nothing can really change with yuri right now. he can't die or be seriously hurt, because that would eventually ruin loid's marriage. likewise, he can't learn or even suspect anything because loid would immediately bail.

He can perform well enough to get (a) information on WISE, (b) lessons he can learn from to become a better operative, and (c) greater status in the SSS. All of those would help propel him on his path to becoming a serious rival to Twilight, and shonen thrives on its rivals.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

ChronoReverse posted:

I'm surprised Loid let his emotions affect his job here; I think old Loid wouldn't have hesitated to fire. He may get bitten here for his softness although I suspect he's not the one who got shot.

Yuri is an integral part of his disguise, he's like the 3rd on the list of people Loid cannot just aim to kill on sight. #1's one and 2 being Anya and Yor

Curtana
Feb 17, 2011

Fangz posted:

And then he goes to confront Twilight, alone, knowing that Twilight is disguised as him, telling nobody that this is the case.

He told that other guy he was with about Twilight's disguise and about the sewer and told him to go get the others while he'd go to keep the pressure on Twilight, though.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
yeah idk what else he was supposed to do since he knew what twilight was doing and if they didn't do something right this instant they'd lose their one legitimate shot at catching the legendary spy. telling his cohort to go get help rather than going with him into the sewers means that if he goes down, there's a possibility of further action, rather than them both getting got and their bodies disposed of in the sludge without anyone knowing what happened to them

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

ChronoReverse posted:

It has been an ongoing story element that Anya and Yor have been throwing off his game. Otherwise, for instance, he would have realized that Yor is an assassin; having him hesitate to kill his fake brother-in-law is much inline with his current character.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
It could be fun if their fight is interrupted by government reinforcements just as Loid conspicuously spares Yuri. Why would Twilight, master spy and state foe, want some junior officer alive? It might trigger some character growth for Yuri if he has to deal with his superiors losing trust in him.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Squidster posted:

It could be fun if their fight is interrupted by government reinforcements just as Loid conspicuously spares Yuri. Why would Twilight, master spy and state foe, want some junior officer alive? It might trigger some character growth for Yuri if he has to deal with his superiors losing trust in him.

loid is dressed as yuri so they're very likely going to do a "who's the real yuri" gag for the entire next chapter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

where the red fern gropes posted:

loid is dressed as yuri so they're very likely going to do a "who's the real yuri" gag for the entire next chapter

Let's go Inception on this, Yuri tries a "only the real me would know this" ploy and disguises himself as his brother in law somehow. He bluescreens when Twilight immediately does the same without missing a beat.