Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

indigi posted:

this is only 25% spice

My thoughts exactly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Epic High Five posted:

It's because their definition of "grifter" is "someone I disagree with" and they're mad that people are only saying they disagree with right wingers

You do absolutely get liberals fuming at chapo and such and going "Who's paying them!?"

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

tokin opposition posted:

I just invented the field of Comparative ikanreed is a dumb piece of poo poo Studies and lemme tell you the grants are rolling in thanks to this math:

ikanreed = poop/butt + dumb

this implies that the poop to butt ratio is fixed, and thus the theory predicts that if you take a dump that's massive enough you should end up with hank hill rear end

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Cerebral Bore posted:

this implies that the poop to butt ratio is fixed, and thus the theory predicts that if you take a dump that's massive enough you should end up with hank hill rear end
poop is stored in the butt

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

Cerebral Bore posted:

interesting, would you be interested in becoming my graduate student? i can offer you no pay, no respect, and your name on none of my papers which you'll be writing exclusively

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

tokin opposition posted:

interesting, would you be interested in becoming my graduate student? i can offer you no pay, no respect, and your name on none of my papers which you'll be writing exclusively

try for smythe

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

tokin opposition posted:

Depends. Are the papers exclusively about poop and butts?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Deleted since its someone stirring poo poo

Jose has issued a correction as of 10:09 on Jun 11, 2023

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
dont like that at all

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Jose posted:

Deleted since its someone stirring poo poo

coward

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/MattZeitlin/status/1667938113090363394?t=CiBOP-wMR8waLxs8sVOUxw&s=19

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I got Guns Germs and Steel on audible, listened cover to cover. Couldn't tell you a thing about it. Europeans had cows and wheat so that's why God chose them to master the earth, i think

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

projecthalaxy posted:

I got Guns Germs and Steel on audible, listened cover to cover. Couldn't tell you a thing about it. Europeans had cows and wheat so that's why God chose them to master the earth, i think

I lived in a place in the late 2000's where guns germs and steel was the toilet book. I believe I read the whole thing over the course of a thousand poops. If I remember correctly, it's compelling while you're reading it but less so when you're not. That's usually the mark of good propaganda

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I thought consensus was while it's not great for in depth analysis it's baby's first material conditions and at least gets the idea out there that European hegemony was a result of effectively luck and not any inherent superiority, in coffee table friendly format.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I thought consensus was while it's not great for in depth analysis it's baby's first material conditions and at least gets the idea out there that European hegemony was a result of effectively luck and not any inherent superiority, in coffee table friendly format.

Yeah that's basically it. The poster above who characterized it as some claim towards the Divine Right of Europeans has it precisely backwards, whether deliberately or just due to skills issue

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Yeah it's not that it's really wrong but more that it falls into the pop history trap of "I have identified three (3) causes of this massive historical event and will be crowbarring all evidence into how they relate to these." But the general idea that Europe basically just got lucky is a valuable corrective at least

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014
cum germs and steel

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

It was interesting learning about the Hai Jin, where China had compasses and seagoing ships and could have settled and colonized California in the 1100s but the emperor said "thats boring we're not doing that" which was a big geopolitical blunder.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

projecthalaxy posted:

It was interesting learning about the Hai Jin, where China had compasses and seagoing ships and could have settled and colonized California in the 1100s but the emperor said "thats boring we're not doing that" which was a big geopolitical blunder.

i remember during my first american history class in college, this girl who was somewhat famous for asking accidentally ignorant stuff all the time raises her hand and goes, "well if china had boats and stuff why didn't they take over america" and everyone groaned until my prof went "cool story actually" and then explained this exact issue.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

https://twitter.com/TIME/status/1668083952039362561

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

It will probably end up killing a lot more people than Chernobyl did

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

projecthalaxy posted:

Hot take: this reminds me of how we in the USA could have done all sorts of cool poo poo in the 90's after the end of the cold war but instead we disappeared up our own asses and spent all our money on blowing up people in the Middle East

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

projecthalaxy posted:

Could've, but the Pacific is massive, much bigger than the Atlantic. It's a super cool historical "what if?" But if you look at a map and think about the leaky, slow-rear end boats they had back then you get why the Emperor declined the opportunity.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Zeroisanumber posted:

Could've, but the Pacific is massive, much bigger than the Atlantic. It's a super cool historical "what if?" But if you look at a map and think about the leaky, slow-rear end boats they had back then you get why the Emperor declined the opportunity.
Even if they had gotten there, I feel like the west coast is also a worse place to start off your colonies? Mountainous and earthquake prone seems like a recipe for abandoning colonies, even if they managed to get there in the first place.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Even if they had gotten there, I feel like the west coast is also a worse place to start off your colonies? Mountainous and earthquake prone seems like a recipe for abandoning colonies, even if they managed to get there in the first place.

Would stopped in Hawaii along the way though, which is always fun for a little vacation

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

christmas boots posted:

Would stopped in Hawaii along the way though, which is always fun for a little vacation
Going to Hawaii means going against the currents going from China though.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

The way the currents run, you hop across the Pacific and then either you can go to California or follow them back around to the tropical paradise of the Aleutians

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

The handy thing about the Aleutians is thanks to my important historical training (europa universalis) it's real easy to hop from the Western Aleutians to Siberia then Northern China and back even without colony buffs. Should just done that imo

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Going to Hawaii means going against the currents going from China though.

All roads lead to Rome, but all currents lead to China

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

ELTON JOHN posted:

cum germs, and steal

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
sorry if that's too gross for some of you

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

projecthalaxy posted:

A big factor is that at the time, China and India were the wealthiest places in the world, along with Arabia. There was no point in crossing the giant ocean just to trade with the backwaters of Europe when India is right there. Of course they couldn't have known there were another two continents across the Pacific. In the 15th century, Europeans were desperate to find easier access to the wealthy markets of India.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Zeroisanumber posted:

You don't just sail wherever, you follow the currents. So it's ~5000km of open ocean sailing across the Atlantic compared to ~7000km across the Pacific, but you've got to sail down the inhospitable coast of west Africa first.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Weka
May 5, 2019

christmas boots posted:

Hawaii was first settled from the south by Polynesians, a couple thousand years after Samoa.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

The Navajo language shares a lot of common features with languages spoken in Alaska and western Siberia. It's theorized that Na-Dene language speakers crossed the strait into North America much later than most indigenous peoples, and they settled previously uninhabited inhospitable places like the far north and the Chihuahuan Desert.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

StashAugustine posted:

Yeah it's not that it's really wrong but more that it falls into the pop history trap of "I have identified three (3) causes of this massive historical event and will be crowbarring all evidence into how they relate to these." But the general idea that Europe basically just got lucky is a valuable corrective at least

Yeah, it’s a nice idea, but vast generalised statements are usually anathema to “good” history and often books like this just serve to disguise how little we actually know about human societies from before the historiographical record began.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Chamale posted:

The Navajo language shares a lot of common features with languages spoken in Alaska and western Siberia. It's theorized that Na-Dene language speakers crossed the strait into North America much later than most indigenous peoples, and they settled previously uninhabited inhospitable places like the far north and the Chihuahuan Desert.

migration of the americas by pre-columbians isn't remotely a solved thing and it's kinda weird+cool hearing some of the poo poo people have proposed even if some of it seems unlikely

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

poo poo, there might have been humans here before homo erectus by like 115,000 if remains found in california are to be believed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Wouldn't surprise me to find out that we had shared Earth with other close relatives besides the Neanderthals.

I actually kind of wonder what sort of civilization was going on when the Bering Strait was something you could walk across. Were there people living up there?