Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fatherboxx)

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Chalks posted:

It took a few days but the Russians finally have a new set of Ukrainian losses to post:

https://twitter.com/DefMon3/status/1668004630939283459

Unfortunate to lose so many demining vehicles at once.

Apparently the losses include "three out of the six Leopard 2R mine-clearing vehicles Finland donated to Ukraine," which is rough. More or less the expected fate of breaching equipment, but losing that many in the same field is less than ideal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

buglord posted:

So probably a dumb question in light of the past 5 pages, but are we past the “shaping operations” phase and into the counteroffensive now? Would Perun & Anders Puck Nielsen call this the counteroffensive?

Probably, though shaping operations continue throughout an operation. I'm finding it interesting that Ukraine seems to be taking a play out of Soviet operations in 1943-1945. They're not quite attacking all along the front, but they are attacking along a lot of it. The idea is that doing so allows you to identify weak--or weaker--points in the defense. Where you have success, you punch a heavy mech force through, drive as far as you can, and then dig in. I'm curious to see what Ukraine does with a breakout, if one occurs.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

https://twitter.com/michaeldweiss/status/1668049097012441095

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

"now" and "by the end of next year" seem like significantly different statements.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

I really, really do not think this quote is correct.

From February 2023:
https://aviationweek.com/defense-space/missile-defense-weapons/ukraine-has-wait-key-systems-raytheon-ceo-says

The idea that Raytheon can suddenly crank out 12x Patriot batteries per year and is giving 5 away does not really match historic trends. I think the reporter may have misunderstood what was said.

quote:

For NASAMS, six are on order for Ukraine, but “they won’t see those until starting this summer, probably through next year,” he says. Ukraine has received existing donated NASAMS, and officials have said they are highly effective at targeting Russian cruise missiles and UAVs.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

"how is nobody talking about this?" he says, linking and quoting a loving wsj article. I swear, there is no clearer sign of bullshit than that Trumpian utterance.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

CSM posted:

It's from the same location where they lost the eight Bradleys and Leopards.

Incredible but apparently true.

https://twitter.com/OAlexanderDK/status/1668015787116752899

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Russia might be worried. They're deploying Ted Rall cartoons to talk about Ukrainian Nazis.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

https://twitter.com/JimmySecUK/status/1668189934799273984

This is interesting given the advance is basically just collapsing a Russian salient.

https://twitter.com/DefMon3/status/1667977837788184576

As illustrated quite nicely by defmon here, Ukraine are likely to liberate quite a few settlements in this area before Russia retreat to a more rational front line, and the majority of fortifications still lay behind that.

It's strange to me that Russian propaganda channels would be claiming to be worried about this. From the fortifications it looks like falling back in this area is expected. They might just be exaggerating the situation to increase the glory later, but they usually minimize bad news.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
The map images aren’t loading for me

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Chalks posted:

It's strange to me that Russian propaganda channels would be claiming to be worried about this. From the fortifications it looks like falling back in this area is expected. They might just be exaggerating the situation to increase the glory later, but they usually minimize bad news.

In general, momentum is real force in war. Even if soldiers falling back to defensive fortifications, you aren't as well off as you will be if you hold those for a few weeks. Its a combination of morale, not yet fully understanding the enemy's possible routes of attack, troops either being too exhausted (if the retreating soldiers are expected to be a part), or too fresh (if not), and generally just a signal that the opposing force has a strong offensive in that area. Of course, its obviously not unstoppable, but it is worth having eyes on.

But more specifically here, as far as I can tell from fortification maps, while several lines of defenses were prepared north of Tokmak, extending from the Dinipir to just a little west of the area shown in the recent captures. For whatever reason, near Staromlynivka, Russia has a single strong line with just a few forward fortifications. Those forward fortifications are likely falling, so if they pierce Staromlynivka it would be highly likely to snowball into something very major.

Of course, the Russians could also just be exaggerating, but one shouldn't minimize the current push. It may not amount to much, or it could turn major.

MegaZeroX fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Jun 12, 2023

CSM
Jan 29, 2014

56th Motorized Infantry 'Mariupol' Brigade
Seh' die Welt in Trummern liegen

MegaZeroX posted:

Those forward fortifications are likely falling, so if they pierce Staromaiorske it would be highly likely to snowball into something very major.
Not really, Russia's main defensive line is south of that:

https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1667940048699011072/photo/1

Breaking through that will be important.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

So isn't russia supposed to be blitzing out photos that prove Ukraine is crushed and the offensive is finito, because all I keep seeing is the same batch of mineslappers

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

CSM posted:

Not really, Russia's main defensive line is south of that:

Ah okay, thanks. I only saw the ISW image, which was much more zoomed out, so I had to take a guess.

But still, the point holds that its somewhat worrying for the Russians.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Staluigi posted:

So isn't russia supposed to be blitzing out photos that prove Ukraine is crushed and the offensive is finito, because all I keep seeing is the same batch of mineslappers

Regular army units are probably under media blackout rules. If Kadyrov's tiktok Brigade gets sent there we will know more.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

alex314 posted:

Regular army units are probably under media blackout rules. If Kadyrov's tiktok Brigade gets sent there we will know more.
UA media are already posting pictures and videos of abandoned positions, captured or destroyed equipment etc., meanwhile RU propaganda is still milking one failed attack for the 5th day in a row and milbloggers are lamenting over "worrying developments" and so on.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

alex314 posted:

It seems difficult to believe that Russia has suddenly developed great discipline or that they think keeping quiet about victories aids them in this situation.

It's also hard to believe that only one Ukrainian advance suffered any losses though. Although if that were the case I guess it would explain the fretting by the propagandists.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
The "Defensive Line" is meaningless. It only needs to be pieced in one location, which mechanized and armored thrusts were born to do, for the entire line to become unhinged. It does not matter if Tokmok is defended in depth by 3 lines if it can be cut off to the left or right of it towards the sea of Azov.

The line's going to be as useful as the Maginot Line or the line at Al Alamien was.

And the Russians do not have air superiority to do anything about it.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Vox Nihili posted:

Apparently the losses include "three out of the six Leopard 2R mine-clearing vehicles Finland donated to Ukraine," which is rough.

Sounds like they aren’t very good!

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Tiny Timbs posted:

Sounds like they aren’t very good!

They were not lost to mines, but to the helicopter shooting atgms.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Tuna-Fish posted:

They were not lost to mines, but to the helicopter shooting atgms.

Hmm, is there a source for this? Not sure if I saw anything reliable about these details, might have just missed it though

Which ATGMs would the Russian helicopters be using?

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

jaete posted:

Hmm, is there a source for this? Not sure if I saw anything reliable about these details, might have just missed it though

There was a video of a Ka-52 firing on them, I can't find it right now, but it's probably on /r/combatfootage .

jaete posted:

Which ATGMs would the Russian helicopters be using?

LMUR.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Tuna-Fish posted:

There was a video of a Ka-52 firing on them, I can't find it right now, but it's probably on /r/combatfootage .

LMUR.

Nobody had any stingers in the area to shoot these down? Or could they fire these ATGMs from outside the effective range of stinger?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Kraftwerk posted:

Nobody had any stingers in the area to shoot these down? Or could they fire these ATGMs from outside the effective range of stinger?

Modern ATGMs often can outrange a stinger. And standing in observed open fields with stingers is bad for the stinger operator. And a MANPADS team taking cover among trees can mean their line of sight is kinda poo poo. It’s not a terribly easy problem, especially if the helos accept some risk during critical operations instead of the more risk averse flying we’ve often seen.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Kraftwerk posted:

AT-16 Scallion has a range of 10-12 km. Manpads top out at 7km. Also getting a lock that far away for IR missile would be unlikely.
You would need something like SA-15 (Tor) and those systems are needed to also down cruise missiles.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Kraftwerk posted:

The footage showed it as firing from a very long way away (the flight time from launch to it even appearing in frame was very long). There is also footage of drone strikes on other elements of the convoy.

From the footage of the Ukrainian perspective, it doesn't look like they're engaged up close at all. It seems like the lead elements (mine plows) were hit from extreme range, and other vehicles were hit by drones or struck mines while attempting to withdraw around disabled vehicles.

*edit* added links, can't find the drone strike link but it's nothing too exciting.

Chalks fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jun 12, 2023

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

There's a bunch of videos on now closed reddits of Ka-52s sitting at what travel time suggests is 10-15km just plonking away at stuff. Moving your stuff into hostile territory is an entirely different beast compared to defending your own.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Kraftwerk posted:

MANPADS dont create a magical cone around your area that enemy aircraft can't fly into and if they do they are instantly shot down. Even if Ukrainian soldiers had some, maybe they didn't even know the Russian chopper was in the area until it was too late?

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

It’s not a big surprise that the other guys have guns too.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

This is one of those 'death of the tank' things. You have Russian helicopters doing it here from beyond effective AA range, but NLOS Spikes have proliferated in many militaries with even longer ranges and can be ground launched (without even LOS, as the name implies.) There's no clear answer to this sort of threat other than effective active defense systems.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Comstar posted:

The "Defensive Line" is meaningless. It only needs to be pieced in one location, which mechanized and armored thrusts were born to do, for the entire line to become unhinged. It does not matter if Tokmok is defended in depth by 3 lines if it can be cut off to the left or right of it towards the sea of Azov.

The line's going to be as useful as the Maginot Line or the line at Al Alamien was.

And the Russians do not have air superiority to do anything about it.

:actually: Two breakthroughs are much better at causing cascading failures in defensive lines. One breach can often be slowed and stopped by mobile reserves. Also, the Axis defensive line at Al Alamein was quite effective. I don't know that another 500,000 mines would have changed the eventual outcome. Keep in mind the British hundreds of tanks, including something like 80% of a single tank brigade. Defensive lines are absolutely useful, even in modern combat.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Comstar posted:

The Maginot line did actually work as intended by preventing the Germans from entering France that way. Where France hosed up was accounting for the porousness of the Franco-Belgian border.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Pope Hilarius II posted:

The Maginot line did actually work as intended by preventing the Germans from entering France that way. Where France hosed up was accounting for the porousness of the Franco-Belgian border.

And that was more of Belgium's fault, since Belgium wouldn't accept France having a solid defensive line that wouldn't include them. But they also didn't want France to be building defensive lines inside Belgium either, to protect their neutrality. And when war was declared against Belgium, they also didn't want France back hiding behind the line.

MegaZeroX fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jun 12, 2023

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

France hosed up a lot of things before and during the war. If I remember right, Germany had a hell of a time actually clearing Maginot bunkers.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

alex314 posted:

AT-16 Scallion has a range of 10-12 km. Manpads top out at 7km. Also getting a lock that far away for IR missile would be unlikely.
You would need something like SA-15 (Tor) and those systems are needed to also down cruise missiles.

I'm sorry but... like a green onion? I googled it quick and that doesn't seem to be a typo. I'm just kind of surprised by that name.

If they make a smaller one, would it be called the CHIVE?

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Xiahou Dun posted:

I'm sorry but... like a green onion? I googled it quick and that doesn't seem to be a typo. I'm just kind of surprised by that name.

Since when do weapons' system names make sense or obey the rule of cool? Little Boy and Fat Man? Geez. At least Project Pluto was named after an appropriate deity, but people chickened out of making the actual device.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

If you're working on a super secret wunderwaffe that will blow everything else you have out of the water, you don't want to call it the "juggernaut" because then everyone will know just by the codename. I'm sure the DoD has some mathematical formula for picking project names or something. "Congrats on live-fire testing the Blueberry Muffin. I heard it went great."

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Xiahou Dun posted:

NATO codenames have some rules. AT missiles start with S, hence Sagger, Scalion, Sniper, Spriggan, Stabber,etc.
E: those names are way better than 9M... codenames USSR had.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Learn something every day. Cool.

Thanks, folks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

KillHour posted:

If you're working on a super secret wunderwaffe that will blow everything else you have out of the water, you don't want to call it the "juggernaut" because then everyone will know just by the codename. I'm sure the DoD has some mathematical formula for picking project names or something. "Congrats on live-fire testing the Blueberry Muffin. I heard it went great."

Tanks are called tanks because the UK told nearly everyone involved that the large plates of steel and such they were fabricating were for large mobile drinking water tanks to supply soldiers near the front lines.