Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

If the galaxy flips weren’t so prohibitively expensive I’d be all about fitting a controller on one of those

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I got mine for a stupid good deal on black Friday, and the first thing I did was toss it in a gamesir and load up aethersx2.

I gotta say it's pretty terrific

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Anyone getting a ROG Ally this weekend/next week?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Photex posted:

Mine will be here Tuesday.

Russ from RGC is super into his.

It’s going to solve a lot of issues I have with some of the games I want to play.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

MarcusSA posted:

It’s going to solve a lot of issues I have with some of the games I want to play.

Isn’t this what we all tell ourselves every time?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I'll admit I'm tempted by it, in part because it's the only handheld PC that's feasible to get in Aus (technically you can grey import the Deck, I forget which level of it, for about the same price but..well your warranty is useless there and ASUS actually has a repair center in Sydney) but WOOF $1300 and you can't even shop around because it's JB Hi-Fi exclusive

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

MarcusSA posted:

Mine will be here Tuesday.

Russ from RGC is super into his.

You’re doing gods work by buying everything lol. Excited to see what you think of it.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

otter posted:

Isn’t this what we all tell ourselves every time?

Yes it is but this time this is it!

Rolo posted:

You’re doing gods work by buying everything lol. Excited to see what you think of it.

lol a lot of the issues have been worked out. The battery life isn’t great but I almost always have a plug near me so it’s not super important at this point.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Photex posted:

sadly not, my new game that I want to be able to play on the go is SF6, and it seems to need a lot of tweaking down.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Whereas SF6 is perfect on the Deck.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
from what I saw, that needs tweaking down, too. 720p or 900p, and lowered settings. Nothing with integrated graphics can run it at 1080p max.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Deck doesn't have a 1080p screen, it's more like 800p. So you don't even get any real benefit from running the game at 1080p resolution.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

It is 800p yeah, it's one of the frustrating things with the non-Deck handhelds where they're all 1080p (1200p in some cases) screens but none of them are actually powerful enough to run games at that so you're running games at 720p anyway.

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol
I have long held that you get the most realism out of lower resolutions, as the brain fills in details. It's why I consider NOCTIS the most realistic game ever made

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
drat, Noctis is a deep cut. That game was awesome for what it was. I loved exploring that jaggedy universe.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Wow noctis looks like a proto-NMS sort of

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Wow noctis looks like a proto-NMS sort of

The NMS hype train had me going crazy because I’d played Noctis and knew it had already done a lot of what NMS was purporting to do, in its low-res DOS game kind of way. The dev was one of those special people that had big ideas but always had to reinvent everything, and only ever by themself, so I think he burnt out pretty hard and fell off the internet.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?
I was re-directed here from the AliExpress thread (because I am a big proponent of quality). I bought a 620 game NES emulator that…stinks, for lack of a better term.

Is there a decent, decently priced version out there that will hook up to a TV? I might get a handheld some year, but was going to introduce my kids to the old school console experience. If it has more than NES, that’s fine, but NES is what I’m after (with decent games and controllers).

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS posted:

I bought a 620 game NES emulator that…stinks, for lack of a better term.
Is there a decent, decently priced version out there that will hook up to a TV? I might get a handheld some year, but was going to introduce my kids to the old school console experience. If it has more than NES, that’s fine, but NES is what I’m after (with decent games and controllers).

Are you aware Nintendo released a NES Mini that had good quality, including the controllers, and that you can apparently jailbreak it to add more games? Probably worth a look.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

Will do, hopefully I can find it for less than the $150-200 retail price tag. Almost wonder if I can jailbreak the junky one I have, but the whole thing is a mess.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
And if not, there’s always the Raspberry Pi route with USB NES controllers (or just go SNES).

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

Get a used wii u or wii tbh

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

👏Steam👏Deck👏Steam👏Deck

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

If they just want something to show the NES to their kids, the Deck is probably a bit too much.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Probably, but once you buy a steam deck, then you have a steam deck.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I love the Deck to pieces and still would say that's way too much for someone who just wants a tiny NES with themed controllers.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
And if you really want the Tiny NES experience, you can always get a cheap case for the Pi.

https://www.amazon.com/Retroflag-Functional-button-Shutdown-Raspberry/dp/B07BRHDVTN

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Real talk, Wii’s are cheap as heck and emulate tons of things really well. Like “pick a full system up for $5 at a rummage sale” cheap. Then you also have a wii and GameCube.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Wii uses composite or component though, which is an issue if your TV only has HDMI. That's where the Wii U comes in.

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

The wii u ftw

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I follow handheld retro console fairly closely. Also the current handheld market have clear winners on each price bracket and makes it very easy.

What's the consensus on something that plug into the TV HDMI port and comes with 2 controllers? Something that already come with a simple and good launcher and just set it and forget it? Assuming I don't want to hack xbox/switch/wii/Playstation mini.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

stephenthinkpad posted:

I follow handheld retro console fairly closely. Also the current handheld market have clear winners on each price bracket and makes it very easy.

What's the consensus on something that plug into the TV HDMI port and comes with 2 controllers? Something that already come with a simple and good launcher and just set it and forget it? Assuming I don't want to hack xbox/switch/wii/Playstation mini.

I'm sure someone knows more, but the only things that qualify for that are those mini NES/SNES/Genesis consoles that were released a couple of years back.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Seem to be a wide open market. Somebody should put a highend snapdragon chip in an android TV box and sell it with 2 8bitdo pro knock-off controllers.

Last shield box was from before the pandemic.

stephenthinkpad fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Jun 12, 2023

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Everyone just realised oh right we can just put USB-C Video support in these handhelds that actually get bought and people can plug that into their TV instead.

Also cheap mini PCs that you can just put Batocera on fulfil that need quite nicely too.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

Honestly it’s not the aesthetics of the old box, I mostly just like the simple controller (for NES, anyway - I had only that for a long, long time, so I’m a hermit about most anything else). I would like a set and forget thing too, but paying $200 (or needing to build and many hours) there is stretching my interest. I did bid on a modded one on eBay, but nothing was a clear, easy choice.
If I felt I could reliably cast/project to TV, I’d just buy some wireless controllers, (maybe use old laptop and emulator?) and forget it.

E: my wife insists my son actually likes Mario 1 with music and timer at 3x speed, but I have a little bit of pride, dammit. Have not tried to jailbreak that box, not sure it’s worth the hassle.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jun 12, 2023

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS posted:

Honestly it’s not the aesthetics of the old box, I mostly just like the simple controller (for NES, anyway - I had only that for a long, long time, so I’m a hermit about most anything else). I would like a set and forget thing too, but paying $200 (or needing to build and many hours) there is stretching my interest. I did bid on a modded one on eBay, but nothing was a clear, easy choice.
If I felt I could reliably cast/project to TV, I’d just buy some wireless controllers, (maybe use old laptop and emulator?) and forget it.

E: my wife insists my son actually likes Mario 1 with music and timer at 3x speed, but I have a little bit of pride, dammit. Have not tried to jailbreak that box, not sure it’s worth the hassle.

It's not really hard at all to set something up with Retropie on your PC/Pi. You download the image, burn it to an SD card, and then add the games you want to play. All the emulators are included.

But for set it and forget it, yeah, the old NES/SNES/Genesis consoles are about the best way to accomplish that, and even then you can still add more games to them really easily using hakchi2-ce (https://github.com/teamshinkansen/hakchi2-ce/releases/).

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

You know realistically you could probably download like lemuroid on your phone and use some USB c to hdmi adapter and an 8bitdo and go to town there tbh

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

endocriminologist posted:

You know realistically you could probably download like lemuroid on your phone and use some USB c to hdmi adapter and an 8bitdo and go to town there tbh

I do this for Saturn and it's p good

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Can all the 100+ android handheld handle tv out? Maybe Retroid and Abnernic can offer TV dock and wireless controller in a bundle. Is there any lag for the android solution?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I don't know about all of them, but the Powkiddy RK2023 does and most of the nicer ones do like the RP3+, Odin (the only one I've seen get a dedicated dock) and I think most of the recent Anbernics. Though the RK2023 doesn't have bluetooth so its single player only, and there's some others that don't support external controllers.