Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gregday
May 23, 2003

If he can't find counsel, would they detain him and hold off on the actual arraignment hearing until he does?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Matt Gaetz has passed the Florida bar.

Just throwing that out there.

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat

ReidRansom posted:

How is at all handled with someone as difficult to work with as Trump, though? No one remotely qualified or skilled wants to work with him anymore because they've all seen how that works out. Also he's probably asking them to do crimes on his behalf. Isn't it likely he just poisons whatever relationship with anyone appointed by the court as well? Just tantrums out like a giant baby since it's his only remaining move?

Is there such a thing as defense treating their own client hostilely? Certainly never at this level, I would imagine, if so.

"Your Honor, request to treat my client as hostile."

"Granted."

*Lawyer for the Defense just starts punching*

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

gregday posted:

If he can't find counsel, would they detain him and hold off on the actual arraignment hearing until he does?

I don't know but it seems possible, bizarrely.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I mean if the defense plan (as has been rumored/suggested/joked) is to simply have him exist in an area until Judge Cannon can load the judge cannon with the proper legal spells to shoot him to freedom, then you don't really need an attorney.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I don't know but it seems possible, bizarrely.

That’s what would happen if he were just a normal person, right?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

That’s what would happen if he were just a normal person, right?

A normal person this wouldn't happen because you'd either have a pd appointed or you'd hire someone.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
normal people dont end up with 37 espionage charges

gregday
May 23, 2003

A normal person would probably have been arrested and in custody just before or right as the indictment was unsealed.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

A normal person this wouldn't happen because you'd either have a pd appointed or you'd hire someone.

But if a normal person refused to hire a lawyer and made too much money for a PD they would just be detained until they hired a lawyer, right?

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

ReidRansom posted:

How is at all handled with someone as difficult to work with as Trump, though? No one remotely qualified or skilled wants to work with him anymore because they've all seen how that works out. Also he's probably asking them to do crimes on his behalf. Isn't it likely he just poisons whatever relationship with anyone appointed by the court as well? Just tantrums out like a giant baby since it's his only remaining move?

Is there such a thing as defense treating their own client hostilely? Certainly never at this level, I would imagine, if so.

There are true believer chud judges (Cannon) so I'm sure there's still plenty of true believer chud lawyers available to represent him. Especially in FL.

So I don't know anything about legal stuff but isn't an arraignment basically where the defendants makes their plea? What role does a lawyer even play in that? And if thats all that happens would it really be detrimental for someone to represent themself?

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Sexual Aluminum posted:

"Your Honor, request to treat my client as hostile."

"Granted."

*Lawyer for the Defense just starts punching*

Hmm... another one for my elevator pitch to Netflix

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

"Mr Trump, having heard the charges against you how do you plead?"
"Unpopular, your honor."
"Understood. Jail forever, hundred years no trial."
-
The ending everyone expected to this.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

gregday posted:

A normal person would probably have been arrested and in custody just before or right as the indictment was unsealed.

Yeah, I mean, Winner and Manning just stayed in jail with bond denied.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Charliegrs posted:

There are true believer chud judges (Cannon) so I'm sure there's still plenty of true believer chud lawyers available to represent him. Especially in FL.

I assume part of it is that even chud lawyers probably want to get paid, so Trump needs to find a chud lawyer who is enough of a true believer that they'll work pro-bono.

If said lawyer has to be involved beyond the arraignment, they also need to be cool with a cult trying to murder them if they lose the case, on top of having a client who ignores everything they say and maybe gets them indicited too.

gregday
May 23, 2003

Would the main reason that he can’t just hire any ambulance chaser be that they need some kind of security clearance to be involved w/r/t this evidence?

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

A normal person would likely be tried in a military court right unless the documents were DoE. Most line level people who would have access to this would be active duty military and not likely people working in civilian executive jobs. If you stole documents with nuclear secrets, wouldn't that be a military trial, and straight to gitmo?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

gregday posted:

I can't see any reason why they'd do this. If they're not concerned about detaining him now, his lawyer troubles are certainly not a reason to detain him.

If it seems plausible that he'd be able to get a lawyer with a little more time, they'll probably give him a little more time. If he straight-up can't find a lawyer willing to represent him, and isn't willing to represent himself, the judge will eventually just appoint a lawyer.

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

But if a normal person refused to hire a lawyer and made too much money for a PD they would just be detained until they hired a lawyer, right?

No. If they refuse their constitutional right to a lawyer and can convince the judge they're mentally competent, they can always represent themselves.

gregday
May 23, 2003

Looks like he got Chris Kise back for this.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Zotix posted:

A normal person would likely be tried in a military court right unless the documents were DoE. Most line level people who would have access to this would be active duty military and not likely people working in civilian executive jobs. If you stole documents with nuclear secrets, wouldn't that be a military trial, and straight to gitmo?

no, no, and no basically

1) tons of non-military people have very high levels of classification and work with highly classified materials 2) unless you're in the military no military trials 3) even if you were active duty and were convicted you wouldn't get sent to gitmo you'd get sent to a military prison, eg leavenworth

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jun 12, 2023

BDawg
May 19, 2004

In Full Stereo Symphony

gregday posted:

Looks like he got Chris Kise back for this.

Kise is the one who was smart enough to get paid up front, but also got ignored because he said things that were in the best interest of his client?

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
question for lawyers in here: what qualifications exactly would you even need for a lawyer to be considered capable of taking on this case? that's got to be a pretty short list of people even capable of defending him?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Someone should tell him about ChatGPT but tell him that it's a search engine + knowledge database and let him defend himself.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Charliegrs posted:

So I don't know anything about legal stuff but isn't an arraignment basically where the defendants makes their plea? What role does a lawyer even play in that? And if thats all that happens would it really be detrimental for someone to represent themself?

They're only true believers until consequences seem imminent. That's why his former lawyers keep bailing. "Surely I will be the one to defend Trump successfully!", they crow. Then their client does something which breaches attorney-client privilege and which would land them in federal prison for decades. Then they nope out.

Edit: Sounds like Trump better call Saul.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

True Believer lawyer or not, Trump understands he needs an actual competent defense group here. He always has a bunch of hack lawyers in his orbit, but every time he's really faced some poo poo he's gone for legit law firms. And I have to imagine even the big gun law firms have an agreement that SOMEONE in the GOP dark money network will compensate them for their time.

This time might be different due to the nature of the charges. His last two lawyers saw the indictment and peace'd out. In a sane legal world his best option is to plea, and in the trump world the best option is to hope the judge throws her career away and just nukes the case.

Every competent law firm knows the first option gets them fired, and I doubt many want to be associated with the second option.

gregday
May 23, 2003

Kise apparently managed to get $3m up front last time he represented him, and seems to be the sanest lawyer he's had. So I would imagine he's telling him that he faces real, serious prison time and getting paid tremendously well, up front, if Trump actually listens to him* and is scared.

*Yeah, well, you know.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Ynglaur posted:

They're only true believers until consequences seem imminent. That's why his former lawyers keep bailing. "Surely I will be the one to defend Trump successfully!", they crow. Then their client does something which breaches attorney-client privilege and which would land them in federal prison for decades. Then they nope out.

Edit: Sounds like Trump better call Saul.

There’s also the very real possibility that the mob will turn on a lawyer who failed to get Trump acquitted and it could be a legitimate danger to their safety.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

FizFashizzle posted:

True Believer lawyer or not, Trump understands he needs an actual competent defense group here. He always has a bunch of hack lawyers in his orbit, but every time he's really faced some poo poo he's gone for legit law firms. And I have to imagine even the big gun law firms have an agreement that SOMEONE in the GOP dark money network will compensate them for their time.

This time might be different due to the nature of the charges. His last two lawyers saw the indictment and peace'd out. In a sane legal world his best option is to plea, and in the trump world the best option is to hope the judge throws her career away and just nukes the case.

Every competent law firm knows the first option gets them fired, and I doubt many want to be associated with the second option.

In a sane legal world he'd have taken what was almost certainly the first advice he was given. Return the documents, let the legal team draft a bullshit mea culpa to the DOJ/whoever, and the whole thing is dropped and blows over, plus you still get to go on your bad twitter clone and claim it was all persecution and you did nothing wrong but just went along because you're so magnanimous and so on.

But he just had to keep digging that hole.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
Let’s hope they are prepared for these nutters:

https://twitter.com/ScooterCasterNY/status/1668297719889252352

gregday
May 23, 2003

“Indoctrinated”

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Not a cult. No sir.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
Regardless of who his local counsel is, Trump is still going to pro hac vice some of his band of awful lawyers to do the real case. So the argument is just what local counsel is going to put their name on the line to make sure Trump's lawyers follow the local rules. If the local counsel is not a full-on chud, there is very little reward for a great deal of reputational risk.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

https://twitter.com/occupydemocrats/status/1668076185803190278?s=46&t=4HCQHNrQSCCyTv5_MzlCTw

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Cool Occupy Democrats link.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Xiahou Dun posted:

If the top conservative lawyer did say those things, why not source the quote? Why not source anything claimed in the tweet?

Oh right, because the story was actually a ruse to link to another twitter clone

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Xiahou Dun posted:

Is this better I don't actually know

https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/status/1667965151411159040

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

I have bad news.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Remember when twitter only showed you tweets from accounts you followed

good times

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Question, do lawyers without security clearances get to view documents that require clearances? Like do the restrictions get waived or do they need to fill out the form and go through the process?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

quote:

I would love to do it. I think the case is weak.

LOL, this loving lawyer.

I've seen multiple lawyers who are loath to project *any* sense of certainty around the law call this a strong case. At least one has said its the strongest case they've seen in their career, bar none.