Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gorilla Radio
May 10, 2007
On behalf of the Serbs, we're very sorry for the Hillary Clinton sniper incident. Next time, we'll aim better.
What's the status of Moonbreakers these days?

I'm looking for short-game strategy/tactics in which I can play a one-shot battle in 20-30 min.

Any suggestions?

Edit: I remember Poxnora exists. That was kinda fun back when I was poor and couldn't afford to buy packs. Is it still ok?

Gorilla Radio fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Jun 12, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

teethgrinder posted:

Been using a PS4 controller, and now more recently a DualSense for as long as it was possible. I had bought a 360 controller specifically for PC gaming but holy hell the loving dpad sucked for anything that required a straight-down and not a diagonal. It was probably defective on hindsight but I remember a lot of people complaining about the dpads.

That's giving me flashbacks. I went through a fighting game and MAME phase back in the day. I hated the 360 dpad and distinctly remember spending hours trying to get a PS3 controller to work consistently over Bluetooth or USB.

I wound up buying a used PS2 controller and a PS2 -> USB adapter, because that was somehow more reliable.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Gorilla Radio posted:

I'm looking for short-game strategy/tactics in which I can play a one-shot battle in 20-30 min.

Any suggestions?

I haven't played it since January. Did you play, or were you just on the fence about it?

If the latter; the devs quickly realized upon launching that they made a fundamentally awful idea with their approach to army building and pivotted. And the game just wasn't designed around that pivot , so it was put into a real bad spot. The knew how to fix it, they simply needed time to develop / rebalance things.

I haven't paid super close attention to it, but I haven't uninstalled it yet either and have opted into the 'daily update experimental beta' branch on Steam. If you own it I'd be glad to get a game in and check out what's changed the last few months :) I'm pretty sure they have implemented more game modes than just "Assassination"

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

AfricanBootyShine posted:

I wound up buying a used PS2 controller and a PS2 -> USB adapter, because that was somehow more reliable.
Oh right, I did that too before DS4s. Adapter from Radio Shack.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
The original 360 controller had one of the worst dpads ever conceived (when I first played Dark Souls PTDE it was not unusual to cycle every single one of the four hotbar slots when trying to change weapons with the dpad) but the newer ones are much better. I gave in and switched to Xbox controllers for PC gaming and other than the lack of gyro, I'm quite happy with it.

Gorilla Radio
May 10, 2007
On behalf of the Serbs, we're very sorry for the Hillary Clinton sniper incident. Next time, we'll aim better.

Sab669 posted:

I haven't played it since January. Did you play, or were you just on the fence about it?

If the latter; the devs quickly realized upon launching that they made a fundamentally awful idea with their approach to army building and pivotted. And the game just wasn't designed around that pivot , so it was put into a real bad spot. The knew how to fix it, they simply needed time to develop / rebalance things.

I haven't paid super close attention to it, but I haven't uninstalled it yet either and have opted into the 'daily update experimental beta' branch on Steam. If you own it I'd be glad to get a game in and check out what's changed the last few months :) I'm pretty sure they have implemented more game modes than just "Assassination"

On the fence. I've realized that with all my other commitments I only have about 30-45 minutes of free time before bed.

So I'm looking for a tactics/strategy game that I can play a battle in within that time without having to worry about remembering what happened in the battle for a campaign or meta. Moonbreakers seems to be along those lines.

I was playing Hunt and Tarkov before, because I could run around in quick play or as a scav, get murdered within 20 minutes, and go to bed. I'm getting tired of not being able to play the main games, though.

Do you think Moonbreakers could fit what I'm looking for? If so, I'll pick it up Friday when I get paid and we can mess around with it.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

dang, the monkey island/sea of thieves crossover campaign was done without ron gilbert's help OR knowledge

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

explosivo posted:

The xbox 360 controller is like 15 years old now, the newest xbox controllers are the best controllers you can buy right now for pc gaming imo and have great d-pads and have wireless dongles so you can use it wirelessly without having to use bluetooth.

Edit: Almost 20 years old :cripes:

Can you still find wireless dongles? I tried to find one a while back and they were basically defunct. I ended up buying a bluetooth controller instead, which is fine since all my computers use bluetooth, but still.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

We used to have a solution for wireless controllers not working. They were called WIRES

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

CuddleCryptid posted:

Can you still find wireless dongles? I tried to find one a while back and they were basically defunct. I ended up buying a bluetooth controller instead, which is fine since all my computers use bluetooth, but still.

Seems like Microsoft has them in stock but they have to be bought with a controller. Best Buy has them in stock too.

Edit: amazon's got the adapters separately

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I do like modern Xbox controllers, but I still end up reaching for a PS4/5 one though because the Xbox buttons are weirdly loud/clicky and I need to be quieter often.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Scalding Coffee posted:

My Friendly Neighborhood looks like an interesting setting and a breather between big name games.

I watched someone play the demo of it awhile back and it seemed pretty neat.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

teethgrinder posted:

I do like modern Xbox controllers, but I still end up reaching for a PS4/5 one though because the Xbox buttons are weirdly loud/clicky and I need to be quieter often.

The Series controllers are especially clicky, definitely a big difference compared to the DualSense face buttons.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

explosivo posted:

The xbox 360 controller is like 15 years old now, the newest xbox controllers are the best controllers you can buy right now for pc gaming imo and have great d-pads and have wireless dongles so you can use it wirelessly without having to use bluetooth.

Edit: Almost 20 years old :cripes:

8bitdo is better

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Mind blowing that the controller most people would use on a PC would be the one from the company also making the OS 90% of people play games on, and the one that has showed any amount of support for PC gaming over the last 20 years.

Truly astounding.

it's not about the controllers "showing support" for windows, it's about windows showing support for the controllers
Microsoft specifically created the modern xinput api to push their own xbox hardware as the 'default' in windows, and now any controller that wants to actually work in a plug-and-play way and not need fiddly per-game setup like it's the 90s with directinput needs to pretend to be an xbox controller.
of course it has 0 support for controllers with more buttons than the xbox one, or with features that it doesn't have like touchpads, gyros, or analog buttons

mystes
May 31, 2006

on the other hand it means that you don't have to spent half an hour reconfiguring the controller settings for each game

Orv
May 4, 2011

Owl Inspector posted:

We used to have a solution for wireless controllers not working. They were called WIRES

They have played us for fools

Really though the gripe with the current generation of controllers is how fast the goddamn sticks break

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

mystes posted:

on the other hand it means that you don't have to spent half an hour reconfiguring the controller settings for each game

that part is good. the part where they intentionally make that benefit not available for non-ms controllers is bad

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I use a steam controller so that I get to spend about 3 hours reconfiguring the controller settings for each game.

kneelbeforezog
Nov 13, 2019

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

8bitdo is better

it's not about the controllers "showing support" for windows, it's about windows showing support for the controllers
Microsoft specifically created the modern xinput api to push their own xbox hardware as the 'default' in windows, and now any controller that wants to actually work in a plug-and-play way and not need fiddly per-game setup like it's the 90s with directinput needs to pretend to be an xbox controller.
of course it has 0 support for controllers with more buttons than the xbox one, or with features that it doesn't have like touchpads, gyros, or analog buttons

I have an xbox controller, the one that was like 50 bucks a year ago when I bought it, and I bought an 8bitdo to use with it. I recently had to buy an 8bitdo 2 black to get it to work with the xbox controller, while the orange one works with the ps4 dual shock controller. my question is that I hadnt thought of before, why doesnt microsoft/sony sell bluetooth dongles. and how else can a controller talk to a tv wirelessly without bluetooth?

"and have wireless dongles so you can use it wirelessly without having to use bluetooth."

what do the dongles use to transmit information in the ether? wifi?

Orv
May 4, 2011

kneelbeforezog posted:

I have an xbox controller, the one that was like 50 bucks a year ago when I bought it, and I bought an 8bitdo to use with it. I recently had to buy an 8bitdo 2 black to get it to work with the xbox controller, while the orange one works with the ps4 dual shock controller. my question is that I hadnt thought of before, why doesnt microsoft/sony sell bluetooth dongles. and how else can a controller talk to a tv wirelessly without bluetooth?

"and have wireless dongles so you can use it wirelessly without having to use bluetooth."

what do the dongles use to transmit information in the ether? wifi?

If a dongle or headset or whatever says it’s using 2.4ghz then yeah it’s just wifi.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Section Z posted:

I think the real troublemaker is the X button. You see A vs B or even Y you think "Oh right, playstation uses shapes and there is no Y button, Nintendo has the letters the other way around."

I see X on screen and either am playing Zelda reaching for where X would be on an Xbox pad. Or playing street fighter 6 with a playstation controller with my brother, "Press X for random character. I know where the X on a playstation is I am not an idiot" aw gently caress it is the PC version with Xbox prompts it happened again.

I've used every source controller for these X buttons. If I had my way it'd be mandatory to display the four button layout and highlight which one to press for prompts.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

https://twitter.com/HardDriveMag/status/1666908750316199936?s=20

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Orv posted:

Really though the gripe with the current generation of controllers is how fast the goddamn sticks break

I genuinely would like an explanation from someone in the industry why hall effect sticks aren't used at all by Sony or Microsoft, even on their $200 premium controllers. They're not expensive parts and the tech has been around for decades. Hell, the Dreamcast controller came with a hall effect stick in 1999.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

Gorilla Radio posted:

On the fence. I've realized that with all my other commitments I only have about 30-45 minutes of free time before bed.

So I'm looking for a tactics/strategy game that I can play a battle in within that time without having to worry about remembering what happened in the battle for a campaign or meta. Moonbreakers seems to be along those lines.

I was playing Hunt and Tarkov before, because I could run around in quick play or as a scav, get murdered within 20 minutes, and go to bed. I'm getting tired of not being able to play the main games, though.

Do you think Moonbreakers could fit what I'm looking for? If so, I'll pick it up Friday when I get paid and we can mess around with it.

Perhaps Warriors of the Nile 2? A successful run takes 60~120 min (depending on your speed and whether you play the optional 4th act), so probably too long, but you can check it out.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Gorilla Radio posted:

I've never played the singleplayer Roguelite mode in Moonbreaker; to me it's always existed purely as a PvP game. So, I mean, in that sense yes it's perfect if you just want to load up a game here or there and engage in some quick strategic combat. But then maybe not if you're looking for something strictly singleplayer

Orv
May 4, 2011

AfricanBootyShine posted:

I genuinely would like an explanation from someone in the industry why hall effect sticks aren't used at all by Sony or Microsoft, even on their $200 premium controllers. They're not expensive parts and the tech has been around for decades. Hell, the Dreamcast controller came with a hall effect stick in 1999.

I mean this might be my leftist yelling but I think it’s probably as simple if your controller breaks more often the company gets more money.

Though I dunno if that would actually make up for the whole consoles being sold at a loss which I assume is still the case.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Zereth posted:

I've used every source controller for these X buttons. If I had my way it'd be mandatory to display the four button layout and highlight which one to press for prompts.

Why

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

IGN Summer of Gaming

----

This is the first time I've noticed that IGN has had some reveals prior to shows. Or maybe this is the first time they're doing it?

Squirrel With a Gun (TBA) is self-explanatory. But if you want a non-meme bullet time game, El Paso Elsewhere (Fall 2023) finally has a release window, and it's going to rule. It's by Strange Scaffold (An Airport For Aliens Currently Run by Dogs, Space Warlord Organ Trading Simulator).

Everhood 2 (TBA) adds the mechanic of "soul color" switching... it seems like you do some ikaruga poo poo and then either blast poo poo back at them or maybe it builds up a charge? I'm not quite sure just looking at gameplay footage because it's very fast.

In Dave the Diver (June 28) you go on diving expeditions, catch fish and avoid big ol' giant sea creatures, and then manage a sushi restaurant at night. It's been mentioned a couple of times in this thread before but now there's a 1.0 release date.

----

Ubisoft Forward 2023 (bear in mind most games will be in Epic Jail for 6-12 months)

No screenshots on this one because there are no steam pages to grab them from.

Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora (December) is finally getting a game by Ubisoft! ...oh, right, they did one before. They have tail sex or whatever. James Cameron shows up. The last time he was at E3, he had a show that was livestreamed where he just described what the Avatar movie/universe was going to be for 90 minutes. The game? Oh right. It looks like alien Far Cry. gently caress up colonizers with bow and arrow fighting and riding on whatever that flying creature is, IDK a lot about Avatar. There were encampments to destroy. You can even wield guns. It's just Far Cry. They just made Far Cry again but this time it's on Pandora.

xDefiant No Longer Endorsed By Tom Clancy is getting an open beta on June 21-23. I don't think people care much about this game. It's only on Ubisoft Connect, so not even on Epic. Actual launch later this summer.

Adi Shankar (Castlevania animated series on Netflix) announced that he would be adapting Blood Dragon to an animated series, premiering on Netflix this fall. there's an assassin's creed frog in it. Frogs continue to be a strong theme at SGF this year. Then they showed The Division: Resurgence which is a mobile version of The Division that, framerate aside, honestly didn't look that bad, though I assume it'll need some pretty modern phones to run well.

A band then came out to perform a song for Skull and Bones getting a closed beta on August 25th-28th. There is almost no applause. This is followed by a sizzle reel which talks about future content for games. Roller Champions is doing a crossover with Jet Set Radio. Mario & Rabbids 2 is getting DLC on a new planet, as well as Rayman DLC also coming in 2023. Riders Republic is getting a Skate add-on, no idea what that entails.

The Crew: Motorfest (September 14) looks to be a slightly sillier take on a racing series that wasn't all that serious to begin with. It looks like there's a Blood Dragon map, or at least, a super neon stage that had a neon dragon in it. During the trailer it said "not actual gameplay footage". Well at least they're honest, lol. They then showed Assassin's Creed Nexus VR. Well, no they didn't. It was a CG trailer with "THIS IS NOT ACTUAL GAMEPLAY" on the screen. No poo poo. It's like I've time traveled back to 2010. They also announced Assassin's Creed Codename Jade, an open world f2p game for mobile. Remember when everyone wanted an east asian Assassins Creed? Well, the monkey's paw sure curled!

I'll also mention that Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown and Assassin's Creed Mirage showed up again, but I've covered them already. I will say that Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown does have time powers. It wasn't shown in the first trailer but, you will be able to rewind time as always. But enemies have time powers too.

Star Wars Outlaws (2024) was the show closer, as expected. It starts with a cutscene, and the trailer does not say "not actual gameplay" so I guess it's actually a part of the game. The gameplay starts with a stealth takedown. There's of course ambient NPC dialog/banter, because it's a AAA game. You can send your cute animal friend to press buttons remotely. There's climbing on stuff, and then a gunfight breaks out. Your blaster has two modes, the alt of which can disable shields, so kind of like Halo but one weapon. At one point you get on a motorbike and are out in what I assume is the open world, although you're still being chased by enemies. It looks fine, is what I'd say. There's some bad LOD pop-in. Visually it's about on par with your average AAA open world game from the late 2010s. I don't necessarily mean that as an insult, it's just, y'know. Open world games sort of have a ceiling on the fidelity they can reach because they have deadlines to meet. It's also Ubisoft's Snowdrop engine rather than UE5 or w/e. There's more cutscenes. You're apparently a fugitive? The thing that could be fun about this game is if, you're NOT a Jedi at all... and you're using a blaster and not a lightsaber so... maybe?? IDK. At some point you get in a spaceship and head off into space, so I guess there will be more planets. There's a dogfight in space, and the dogfighting looks... passable I guess? I get the sense that spacehead gamers out there would find it kind of weak. Some neat vistas in the little montage at the end. I mean it looks alright to me.

----

I'm going to miss the Capcom show but I assume there won't be a TON of new announcements, it's only a 40 minute show and they likely will spend a lot of time on Dragon's Dogma 2, Path of the Goddess, SF6 roadmap, RE4 VR Yet Again, Ghost Trick, and Exoprimal. if Ace Attorney 7 shows up, cool, but I give that a 5% chance

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jun 12, 2023

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

The only way that could be worse is if there was a start button on that area somehow

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

no, ecks

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
That steam sale cartoon with the wallet begging no except instead of steam sale its 7th Guest posts

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
i had to install a mod switching totk to use ps4 button prompts because i kept getting confused between switch layout x/y and xbox x/y which are in opposite positions from each other

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
no i dont have a ps4 controller

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

Gorilla Radio posted:

Any suggestions?

Edit: I remember Poxnora exists. That was kinda fun back when I was poor and couldn't afford to buy packs. Is it still ok?

Mechabellum is quick, pvp, and lots of fun. https://store.steampowered.com/app/669330/Mechabellum/

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

The 7th Guest posted:

Remember when everyone wanted an east asian Assassins Creed? Well, the monkey's paw sure curled!

First Assassin's Creed Chronicles: China, now this lol

Orv
May 4, 2011
They’re never going to make a Sengoku/Meiji AC and it’s for the best

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Orv posted:

They’re never going to make a Sengoku/Meiji AC and it’s for the best

https://assassinscreed.fandom.com/wiki/Assassin%27s_Creed:_Codename_Red

Orv
May 4, 2011

Hmmmm, well, nevertheless

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

So they decided to break glass in the case of an emergency, I see

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

Runa posted:

So they decided to break glass in the case of an emergency, I see

Honestly the open world trilogy was really successful for them, Infinity seems like a potentially very big unforced error but I guess we’ll find out in five years or so.