Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
Redoing the reknown grind would suck hard. Unless they greatly reduce the amount needed and allow other sources like world events and whisper bounties to contribute - I won't do it again, and just take the hit, or skip seasons until they fix that. Why would altars of lilith carry over if you have to visit them anyway for the reknown bonus. That is the easiest and fastest part of the reknown grind.

The stronghold, waypoints and ~10 dungeons per zone should max out reknown when seasons start. I can't imagine many people are looking forward to running all the sidequests again and again every 3 months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

American McGay posted:

Sounds like you just don’t enjoy Diablo 4 my dude.

You're right. D3 was a way better game in comparison. :devil:

At the end of its life, after its many improvements, which this game will definitely get over time.

Astryl
Feb 1, 2005

"15,000 hours of Diablo II isn't that much, dweeb."

SettingSun posted:

You're right. D3 was a way better game in comparison. :devil:

1v1 me in the fields of hate to not receive a 3 day probate.

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE

CBD Corndog posted:

I'm also willing to bet Seasons will have XP/renown boosts in the battlepass or even whatever the seasonal mechanic are that will smooth a bunch of this out.

Guess we'll find out in a week or so when they do that post-launch dev stream about the new season

oh yeah i forgot they were doing that. neat

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Content is fight monsters, get loot, fight harder monsters, get more loot, fight hardest monster, get more loot and whatever reward for the event. This is the same for everything, that's all you can do in Diablo, all you could ever do in Diablo, whether it's strongholds, dungeons, sidequests, the campaign again, etc. It's just playing the game. So what variations on this are you looking for, what do you think would improve it?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

zoux posted:

Content is fight monsters, get loot, fight harder monsters, get more loot, fight hardest monster, get more loot and whatever reward for the event. This is the same for everything, that's all you can do in Diablo, all you could ever do in Diablo, whether it's strongholds, dungeons, sidequests, the campaign again, etc. It's just playing the game. So what variations on this are you looking for, what do you think would improve it?

Nightmare sigils should teleport you directly to the dungeon and you should be able to use movement skills in town. Also the town layouts should be less bad.

Astryl
Feb 1, 2005

exquisite tea posted:

Nightmare sigils should teleport you directly to the dungeon and you should be able to use movement skills in town. Also the town layouts should be less bad.

All of this minus the town layout issue and the ability to go fight campaign bosses in some fashion.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

zoux posted:

Nerfing normal dungeons.
Providing meaningful affixes on nightmare dungeons to increase risk vs reward.
Teleport to dungeon in NM dungeons.
Scale loot to the difficulty of the content within the world tier.
Remove tedious objectives in dungeons so people can blast content.
Implement a loot filter to filter out normal/magic items/lower gems/lower world tiers.
Implement stash/inventory searching.
Fix broken stats on gear.
Provide more meaningful stating on gear.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

zoux posted:

let me retire from fighting monsters and start a farm with full harvest moon style mechanics

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Fishing.

Astryl
Feb 1, 2005

Ehud posted:

let me retire from fighting monsters and start a farm with full harvest moon style mechanics

Ok but unironically I would farm elixirs and materials if I had a trading post to sell them on.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

exquisite tea posted:

Honestly only one town needs to be not bad. Let the capital cities be big sprawling messes. Give me a hub in the middle of nowhere where all the good poo poo is 5 steps away.

Hell, make it a quest and let me rebuild the hidden lookout!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Zotix posted:

Nerfing normal dungeons.
Providing meaningful affixes on nightmare dungeons to increase risk vs reward.
Teleport to dungeon in NM dungeons.
Scale loot to the difficulty of the content within the world tier.
Remove tedious objectives in dungeons so people can blast content.
Implement a loot filter to filter out normal/magic items/lower gems/lower world tiers.
Implement stash/inventory searching.
Fix broken stats on gear.
Provide more meaningful stating on gear.

This is all QoL/balancing stuff, I'm talking about the gameplay loop inherent to Diablo. I want to know why "grinding renown" is bad and what differentiates it from other good, enjoyable content.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Honestly only one town needs to be not bad. Let the capital cities be big sprawling messes. Give me a hub in the middle of nowhere where all the good poo poo is 5 steps away.

This is maybe my biggest issue with the game. Everything is so spread out and the PC is so slow in towns and the horse is on a cooldown and can't sprint. Let me use movement skills in town you cowards!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

zoux posted:

This is all QoL/balancing stuff, I'm talking about the gameplay loop inherent to Diablo. I want to know why "grinding renown" is bad and what differentiates it from other good, enjoyable content.

It's because you spend more time riding your horse and doing sidequests with like 3 bad guys in them (bad) instead of blowing up large amounts of monsters with zero thinking + pixel hunting involved (good).

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

The Eternal Conflict between maximizing engagement metrics and not pissing off players too much

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:

zoux posted:

it's the downtime my dude, a lot of the renown stuff is fluff where you aren't partaking in any of the core gameplay

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I will never stop mashing space in town on my horse even if it doesn't work. I just can't stop mashing space.

Shredder
Sep 14, 2000

Helltides should be ramped up and be more insane. Same with whispers. And there should be more world events like the legion thing.

It's fun to smash things with other people and I think one of the main reasons that dungeons suck is there's no matchmaking, otherwise it's the same content as outside except in a tunnel.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Hell, make it a quest and let me rebuild the hidden lookout!

The Whispering Tree waypoint would be perfect if they just stuck an Occultist in there.

Astryl
Feb 1, 2005

Wheeee posted:

The Eternal Conflict between maximizing engagement metrics and not pissing off players too much

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Anyone going heavy into lightning as druid and could tell me if one handed plus totem or two handed is the better call? I'm only 30 just now, so a long ways before I have to aggressively optimize but it feels like one handed with totem helps a ton for resource generation and having those extra affixes is also quite nice.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Shredder posted:

Helltides should be ramped up and be more insane. Same with whispers. And there should be more world events like the legion thing.

It's fun to smash things with other people and I think one of the main reasons that dungeons suck is there's no matchmaking, otherwise it's the same content as outside except in a tunnel.

Helltides should be PvP enabled or at least apply Helltide to one of the PvP zones in addition to the normal helltides.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Shredder posted:

Out of everything so far (and to be clear, I am enjoying D4 a lot) I really like the Helltides. Just thick hordes of demons and monsters running around for me to kill for an hour. Whispers are good too.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
I think matchmaking would do more to improve this game than any other feature they could add right now and they should focus on that. Though I still do hope for things like insane helltides with like quintuple the monsters.

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE

zoux posted:

Renown would be fine if they up the amount you get so you don't need to do every single dungeon in a region and if they increase the number of activities that give you renown. Events should 100% give renown.

But like I've said before a lot of these posters spent months/years talking about how much they hated D4, then bought the game day 0 and were like level 80 by the time the rest of us were hitting 30. You shouldn't try to understand the mind of someone with terminal ARPG brain. blizzard isn't making the game for these people.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Okay, so you know how in most games you have to kinda "imagine" the real numbers? Like action games where you're storming a military base but there's only ever a handful of people attacking you at once, or in RTS games when you're the "General" but you've only ever got a couple dozen units at most, so you have to kinda pretend that each of your soldiers represents a full rifle company.

How many demons are ACTUALLY roaming around the overworld? Are there REALLY just hundreds and hundreds of goatmen and skeletons and ghosts that show up every time you take two steps outside a city? I've seen at least a hundred times more monsters than actual people.

And if so, are all humans capable of murdering swarms and swarms of them without breaking a sweat? Otherwise I don't know how any sort of trade or even farming gets done if it's so unbelievably dangerous outside the city walls.

(Speaking of which, is there anything special about the protagonist that makes them able to murder so many demons? I thought we were officially nephelem in other games, but it just seems like we're a random wanderer in D4.)

tender
Jun 12, 2023
Yeah the only thing that make me enjoy the game more at this point is matchmaking. I am at the end game and playing alone gets pretty boring and I would love to just randomly pair with other people and do some Nightmare dungeons or Helltides or whatever when my friends aren't online (which we are often on very different schedules.)

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Zotix posted:

Helltides should be PvP enabled or at least apply Helltide to one of the PvP zones in addition to the normal helltides.

helltides being pvp enabled would be the fastest way to make sure nobody ever does them

Astryl
Feb 1, 2005

Diablo IV: But what about the statues?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

They should overlap with whisper zones at a minimum. Helltide in an area with nothing outside of 1-2 random public event feel pretty barren even when you’re mowing down demons

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Also what the gently caress is up with the helltide assassin or whatever it’s called. A full 20 levels above me with a trillion health. He showed up by a public event so there were 5-6 players around and we barely damaged it before everyone went yeah let’s not.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

The game appears to have a day/night cycle, but I can't identify the timing of it. Some places look really great at night and vice versa.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I did a bunch of nightmare dungeons last night around level 25-30 and will again say that I don't get the mob density complaints. Perhaps early on the mob density is light but the packs of mobs were so thick last night that you just can't even see your dude in the middle of all of it. It's pretty impressive and definitely comparable to what I recall seeing in D3. I think there's legit complaints about the downtime areas between "sections" where you're walking on a long path with no enemies before you get to the next zone where the next objective is but in general at this point in the game it's been a really satisfying amount of mobs to slice through, especially if you are running in to find elites and gather em up along the way.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Also what the gently caress is up with the helltide assassin or whatever it’s called. A full 20 levels above me with a trillion health. He showed up by a public event so there were 5-6 players around and we barely damaged it before everyone went yeah let’s not.
Well good news, they don't really drop anything. Like it's not worth it at all to bother fighting that thing. I assume it's just to annoy people into moving to another area but drat at least drop some poo poo when we kill you.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

He exists to annoy you. Once you're higher level you can take him down (or you can chip away at lower levels of course if you really want to) and he'll drop 5-8 cinders and crafting/reroll mats.

He has so much health that I'm not really sure it's worth it regardless but my friend (63 sorc) and I (69 necro) took him down in a couple minutes last night just to see what would happen.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't
Helltides have been fantastic. I got 2 mystery chests in one last night and got ~6 or so legendaries and a unique.

wemgo
Feb 15, 2007
I like the game but it needs content. More skills, items, areas, enhancements, classes, just everything.

If they go the d3 route and keep seasons as a character reset and skill/item % adjustment then we may as well just stop playing til the expac.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

IcePhoenix posted:

helltides being pvp enabled would be the fastest way to make sure nobody ever does them

Yeah and that's why I provided the option of a gigajuice helltide in the PvP zones.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Phenotype posted:

How many demons are ACTUALLY roaming around the overworld? Are there REALLY just hundreds and hundreds of goatmen and skeletons and ghosts that show up every time you take two steps outside a city? I've seen at least a hundred times more monsters than actual people.

I was just joking about this yesterday, like can't they at least patrol these roads right outside the capital city? It's basically under siege by an army of assorted ghouls and everyone's just going about business as usual.

Also I never even considered that the minute or two you spend walking to visit vendors in town was some kind of arduous task until I read this thread. Goons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

zoux posted:

It is a whole lot of running around doing typical MMO side quests - talk to the person here, meet them there, then meet them in another location, fight 1 elite, speak to them back in town for 20 reknown and 1 veiled crystal. Now do that 30 times per zone. Doing sidequests for a rep grind is absolutely sucks in full MMOs, and it is the last thing I want to do in an ARPG.