Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Field Mousepad posted:

It's three and a half hours long?! That is insane.

Well you see they had to squeeze in a capture/rescue sequence for each of the 57,000 child characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Bayham Badger posted:

Overall, I enjoyed Way of Water, warts and all, with the single glaring exception being the roided out literal 14 year old running around in a diaper and gasmask for the majority of the film (this is not an insult to the actor, I'm sure it was a grueling process, but it was a terrible creative decision).

Yeah, I had fun with it. The issue with Spider is that he had to film the movie twice, two years apart. The actor said that it was odd watching himself, because in some scenes he was 14 and kind of chubby, and other scenes he was 16 and had abs.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Spider was the one of the only good parts of the movie. I liked he was with quaritch the only other good part/ I'm good on the next one.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Bro

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Bayham Badger posted:

Overall, I enjoyed Way of Water, warts and all, with the single glaring exception being the roided out literal 14 year old running around in a diaper and gasmask for the majority of the film (this is not an insult to the actor, I'm sure it was a grueling process, but it was a terrible creative decision).

Not to be rude but in my experience every fit sixteen year person pretty much looks like that now. The high school swim team looks like that now (a bit skinnier but Fight Club'd to hell), the football players look like that now, the wrestlers look like that now. A physique that only a handful of genetically gifted and very dedicated guys when I was in school is now pretty common.

Either every single athlete at the local high school is juiced or the training techniques have improved in the 30 years since I was a kid. I'm gonna go with the latter.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Cuz

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Not to be rude but in my experience every fit sixteen year person pretty much looks like that now. The high school swim team looks like that now (a bit skinnier but Fight Club'd to hell), the football players look like that now, the wrestlers look like that now. A physique that only a handful of genetically gifted and very dedicated guys when I was in school is now pretty common.

Either every single athlete at the local high school is juiced or the training techniques have improved in the 30 years since I was a kid. I'm gonna go with the latter.

A fast metabolism does wonders. Until I was 25 or so, I could literally eat anything I wanted at any time and have a six pack with 10% body fat. Now, not so much.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Bayham Badger posted:

Well now I want to watch it

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

RCarr posted:

A fast metabolism does wonders. Until I was 25 or so, I could literally eat anything I wanted at any time and have a six pack with 10% body fat. Now, not so much.

It has nothing to do with metabolism and everything to do with the gas mask and diaper. Most modern HS athletic programs require their varsity squad at minimum to use them during the off-season. The practice was founded at San Dimas HS based on the teachings of Aristotle; "all food must be capable of being digested" led to the use of masking to ensure that the students are fed only pure nutrients via controlled intakes.

mystes
May 31, 2006

what

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Avatar was perfectly fine and it looked cool. you guys are debbie downers.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Zachack posted:

It has nothing to do with metabolism and everything to do with the gas mask and diaper. Most modern HS athletic programs require their varsity squad at minimum to use them during the off-season.

What school did you go to that makes you wear diapers and gas masks?

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

mcmagic posted:

Yeah if you can't enjoy the whale fight scene then your adult cynicism is getting in the way of your joy

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

i would be a lot more charitable if the runtime was sub 180 minutes lol

at least give us an intermission or something. and it wasn't exactly lawrence of arabia

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I saw the way of water in a premium format after ingesting an attention span increasing gummy and found it amazing except for the whole end bit with the assault on the ship. I don't know if I'd enjoy it on a smaller screen.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Papercut posted:

Yeah if you can't enjoy the whale fight scene then your adult cynicism is getting in the way of your joy

It was okay

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

You’re right it was pretty sick seeing whales get exploded by missiles

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

mcmagic posted:

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

CelticPredator posted:

What school did you go to that makes you wear diapers and gas masks?

I mean I didn't go to one like that but growing up in LA in the 80s-90s meant that I constantly had to hear about how the San Dimas High School football program ruled and they apparently had a lot of notable "different thinkers" go through around then so it's no surprise that some of it stuck. Like, presumably the Mongolian hordes couldn't stop during battle so that's where the diapers come from.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Lol if you can't sit through a 3+ hour movie. Skill issue.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

teagone posted:

Lol if you can't sit through a 3+ hour movie. Skill issue.

It’s not the length, it’s the pacing. It’s total dogshit. Not to mention that it’s basically the exact same arc as the first movie with a bunch of annoying kids in the same (now literal) fish out of water scenario.

Not to mention that everyone spends two hours learning how to swim, and then in the last 30 minutes they all completely forget everything they’ve learned just to give the movie some unearned tension.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I could’ve watched another 2 hour John wick or wolf of Wall Street after it ended but man I wanted to leave during avatar 2. It just wasn’t for me in the slightest. The 3D projection was terrible too so the whole movie looked like poo poo.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I can sit through a 3+ hour movie, I watched barry lyndon this year an loved it. just didn't like avatar 2 that much, really didn't care about the aliens at all. Wanted more marines killing stuff like in Avatar 1

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I do think it's a fairly slow and languorous movie which makes it's success at the box office surprising. But then again, I've always felt "the dumb rubes need excitement and explosions" school of blockbuster to be very reductive.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I enjoyed Avatar 2 quite a bit, I like that Cameron said 'okay I'm gonna devote half this movie to superintelligent talking whales' and made it work in a story about children striving to surpass their parents.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Does streaming support the 48fps segments?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Mindy Kaling uncanceled Jeff Garlin lol

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

There is a difference between “I can’t watch a 3 hour film” and “I don’t want to watch a 3 hour film”. Or even more precisely “I don’t want to watch that 3 hour film.”

If a film really speaks to you then sure you’ll get on board with a long run time and make whatever adjustments you gotta. You’re hyped for it. But if your reaction to a movie is “I didn’t really love that original one 10 years ago but this one’s getting buzz so maybe I’ll check it out” then that’s when a 3+ hour runtime turns you away.

Which is to say nothing as to whether or not a film makes good use of its run time. Lots of films don’t and could stand to be trimmed or better paced. But you only find that out if you actually watch it. And the runtime factors into that decision.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

CelticPredator posted:

I could’ve watched another 2 hour John wick or wolf of Wall Street after it ended but man I wanted to leave during avatar 2. It just wasn’t for me in the slightest. The 3D projection was terrible too so the whole movie looked like poo poo.

Yeah, while John Wick 4 did have a few spots where it arguably dragged a little, overall it felt dense and like it made good use of its runtime. Nearly every scene felt worthwhile both on its own merits as well as how it contributed to the overall movie and its resolution. Meanwhile Avatar 2 felt a lot more like it was just loving around wasting my time in a lot of spots. The characters weren't so interesting that I particularly wanted to spend all that much time with them, nor was the finale good enough that it felt like it made the build-up retroactively worthwhile.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I started doing chores after 45 minutes of Avatar 2 so the amount of runtime after that is pretty much irrelevant

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Saw WotW in Dolby 3D and had fun.

Not high art aside from the visuals, but there's something immensely satisfying about watching this, then flying to Miami the next day and sipping on some White Claw Surf on the Biscayne (which tastes like an 80's flanger guitar lead).

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I wanted John Wick 4 to end so badly. It put the grandmas in my row to sleep. There's such thing as bloat with any movie. Miss those tight 90~ minute action films of yesteryear

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Like even something like Stone Cold is head and shoulders over JW4. Respect the Boz. Gimme a 80s/90s American or Hong Kong action film anyday. Seeing Donnie Yen just made me sad "Remember him from other way better films??"

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I mean, it's kinda hard to beat when you got powerhouses like Lance Henriksen and William Forsythe eating the poo poo out of every scene they're in.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Lance Henriksen old man falling down the stairs a million times after killing the entirety of the Mississippi Supreme Court is all time.
Also you know any film is an all timer that starts with wildly psychotic heavily armed criminals attacking a grocery store like it's D-Day for like...20 bucks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sm-P3uuvCz0

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
I watched "The Playlist" on Netflix, about the creation of Spotify. I kind of liked the narrative structure they used for their episodes, which I won't spoil, and thought that was the most interesting part of the whole thing. But I've gotta say it really, really makes you question the accuracy of everything when a "retelling of true events" style show decides to spend the last forty or so minutes of their final episode in the near future, focusing on a person and social movement that does not exist, culminating with a fake congressional hearing in the year 2025

It made me do a one eighty from "I guess this is pretty interesting" to "What even is this show" in like one second when the date on screen said 2024

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

If you can’t do it as a tight 90 then write a loving book

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Lance Henriksen old man falling down the stairs a million times after killing the entirety of the Mississippi Supreme Court is all time.
Also you know any film is an all timer that starts with wildly psychotic heavily armed criminals attacking a grocery store like it's D-Day for like...20 bucks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sm-P3uuvCz0

Stone Cold is so much better than it has absolutely any right to be

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

We get it. one of you really didn't like John Wick 4
I did a ton. And recommend it highly

I'm currently liking lower decks for not being Rick and Morty

Upsidads fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jun 14, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I agree with the tight 90 in principle but Avatar and Avatar 2 look photorealistically good despite being 90% blue cat people and after 30 MCU movies that all have CGI that is on par with local car dealer commercials I think the spectacle is earned

The fact that its literally about committing eco terrorism is just the cherry on top