Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
If you have some more ingredients, potato masala would have been another good option. Although it would require to have a few things most people don't usually carry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFZOXchhDdM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
something about beef braising in red wine smells like Christmas so thanks for that suggestion.

I'll know how this all shakes out in 3-4 hours!

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

you should just be buying hatch chiles

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Business Gorillas posted:

growing japalenos is easy af depending on where you live, especially with climate change

jalapaneo plants love as much sun as possible and thrive in high heat (provided you water them appropriately)

I'm growing jalapeños in my window here in the Netherlands, that only gets direct sun for one hour in the morning, still works pretty well. :sun:

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

ekuNNN posted:

I'm growing jalapeños in my window here in the Netherlands, that only gets direct sun for one hour in the morning, still works pretty well. :sun:

if you're able to get them, try serranos. they're pretty much superior in every way except size imo

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

i say swears online posted:

if you're able to get them, try serranos. they're pretty much superior in every way except size imo
ooo, thanks. I'll order them for next year.
Any more tips for special pepper types or good tomato types?
The minimum order amount on this site that sells a lot of varieties of pepper and tomato seeds is €6,- and seeds are cheaps as hell.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

AxGrap posted:

IS RICE HEALTHY?

no everyone in japan is dead and fat

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

for tomatos you want early girls or somethimg similar with good cold tolerance and a short growing cycle

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

made a really tasty chicken fricassee as a demo in preparation for when some friends are coming over the next week

absolutely delicious. really cheap to make too.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
god drat we did it y'all

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
looks good! how is it?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

it's super drat good and everybody here made it possible.

after I removed the meat from the braising liquid, I skimmed the fat off and used wondra to lazily turn it into a gravy. then I just made a giant biscuit for the top.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

gently caress yeah homie! id get down on that for sure

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I would stuff my face with that until I felt sick.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
go team! :toot:

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

my go-to variation is making a pound of taco meat gringo style with ground beef and a spice packet, mix in corn and onions then do a layer of mashed potatoes on the top to get slightly browned in the oven. it's good slop

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

i say swears online posted:

my go-to variation is making a pound of taco meat gringo style with ground beef and a spice packet, mix in corn and onions then do a layer of mashed potatoes on the top to get slightly browned in the oven. it's good slop

I do that except with cornbread on top.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

yoink

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

What's a good every day breakfast? I'm so brain dead in the mornings I usually just have plain oatmeal and coffee.

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

god drat we did it y'all

Oh drat

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

wash bucket posted:

What's a good every day breakfast? I'm so brain dead in the mornings I usually just have plain oatmeal and coffee.

i've been drinking a hunan hei cha from like 2006 recently

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

wash bucket posted:

I pretty frequently do scrambled eggs + canadian bacon + an english muffin (stocked up on BOGO and stored in the freezer) because all the ingredients last a while and I can go from turning on the light in the kitchen to food plated with the pan washed in 15 minutes

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Business Gorillas posted:

growing japalenos is easy af depending on where you live, especially with climate change

jalapaneo plants love as much sun as possible and thrive in high heat (provided you water them appropriately)

If you miss some watering it just gives you spicier peppers.

I gave 2 plants that haven't left their initial pot for 2 years now and they produce more per year than I can go through.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

bad news folks, i gotta hand it to nancy pelosi. I tried jeni's ice cream and it whips rear end. had the brown butter pecan and the cherry goat cheese. also tried my wife's biscuits and jam. god drat. i fuckin love pratical market solutions now

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

bad news folks, i gotta hand it to nancy pelosi. I tried jeni's ice cream and it whips rear end. had the brown butter pecan and the cherry goat cheese. also tried my wife's biscuits and jam. god drat. i fuckin love pratical market solutions now

have you tried the adrenochrome swirl yet?

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Made focaccia pizza, accidentally Detroit style pizza I guess.

I used costco pesto sauce since I didn't have any red handy and didn't want to start the process of making one. I should have used less since it got very greasy because this was already kinda soaking in oil with begin with. It was amazing though, and best of all the focaccia dough is much less of a pain in the rear end to deal with than traditional pizza dough. I don't have to knead it, which means no bench floor and cleanup, and I don't have to ferment it so I can spin it up the same day. I used italian herbs grown in an old lady's garden, and these old lady herbs did great in the dough. I think this is going in the rotation.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

bedpan posted:

have you tried the adrenochrome swirl yet?

[Cooking] have you tried the adrenochrome swirl yet?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Did an extremely simple thrown-together meal in the rice cooker on a whim and I'll probably do it again. Zatarain's dirty rice mix, can of Ro-Tel, some fresh bell pepper and onion, a couple of chopped up tomatillos I happened to have around, and some jalapeno cheddar brats (also chopped up) from the grocery store deli. Doused the whole thing in smoked paprika and then filled the rice cooker up with water and started it up. Didn't have anything hotter to put in on hand and I wasn't really looking for heat tonight anyway (though I'll bet a habanero or two would have added some nice flavor) but it turned out very good and simple.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Oh yeah, I used to do something like that with jambalaya rice mix and smoked sausage floating on top.

It had to be that one rice mix though. Nothing else would hit the same. Unfortunately my rice cooker is too smart for it's own good and if I add too many ingredients the rice won't cook properly. I seem to have the most luck with ingredients that will float above the rice while it's cooking.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Hello cspam cooking thread I'm learning to cook and made this curry tonight by myself and I'm very proud

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Curry with chickpeas will always have my full support.

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽

tokin opposition posted:

Hello cspam cooking thread I'm learning to cook and made this curry tonight by myself and I'm very proud

gently caress yeah! What's that green in there, spinach? Curry is a bear for me, bc I never have *all* of the spices on hand. I think I need to stock up on some shortcuts.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

AxGrap posted:

gently caress yeah! What's that green in there, spinach? Curry is a bear for me, bc I never have *all* of the spices on hand. I think I need to stock up on some shortcuts.

yep, spinach.

I just got curry powder from a safeway. I'm sure it's inauthentic, but a) it's cheap and b) i'd gently caress up any better recipes

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

AxGrap posted:

this is my all time favorite thing. you can craft them for a couple bucks a pop. just toss a strong food safe magnet in the the lid and fill with every spice ever, stick to fridge or a steel sheet somewhere convenient

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Toasting and grinding your own spices is well and good but that feels like something for an accomplished cook looking for new horizons. Curry powder is fine for everyday meals.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

hosed up an edit

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

i'm really, really happy with my chicken fricassee. it is good over egg noodles but next time I'll do mashed potatoes

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

nexous posted:

this is my all time favorite thing. you can craft them for a couple bucks a pop. just toss a strong food safe magnet in the the lid and fill with every spice ever, stick to fridge or a steel sheet somewhere convenient

you really don’t need all this for Indian food

just cumin, coriander, turmeric, red chili powder, and cumin seeds for North Indian food. if you add curry leaves, mustard seed, and hing you can make most South Indian things

mystes
May 31, 2006

AnimeIsTrash posted:

you really don’t need all this for Indian food

just cumin, coriander, turmeric, red chili powder, and cumin seeds for North Indian food. if you add curry leaves, mustard seed, and hing you can make most South Indian things
Huh? I think they were just showing their spice rack?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

No, the pumpkin pie spice goes in the curry