Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Hashy posted:

The game remains better for 5v5 if only because you arent just getting rolled over because one team is perfectly outcomping you.

Now you just lose if anyone counters your Tank. Forcing both Tanks to constantly play rock-paper-scissors with each other.
I'm so loving sick of that an not being able to pick an off-tank to deal with an enemy Widow, or the like, because if I do that then my team will just die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

OW2 is better than OW was

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

grieving for Gandalf posted:

OW2 is better than OW was

Wrong.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

this game has problems and i dont mind if people want to complain about them in here but you are single handedly the most tedious whinging oval office ive seen in the entire games forum and id suggest getting another hobby because you are awful at posting

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

this game has problems and i dont mind if people want to complain about them in here but you are single handedly the most tedious whinging oval office ive seen in the entire games forum and id suggest getting another hobby because you are awful at posting

With that said, let's talk about OW2.

New event when.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

ill withhold too much hope until we get more info but it seems like theyre actually going to give us some story pve content so i hope they salvaged something out of the ruins of their original plans. dont really know how much we can expect from a new support with how underwhelming lifeweaver is

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

ow2 is better than ow1 when the design team allowed there to be a double shield meta, but the raid boss tank dynamic isn't good

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
:<

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

lol his posting is fine you weirdo, the OW2 thread has been about this game being rear end since it launched half finished. Almost every design decision has been worse but at least they are undoing some of it by giving some CC back.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

cc was one of the worst things about ow1 what is wrong with you

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Yeah my opinion is that 2 is worse because the blanket removal of CC made life lovely for support. Supports getting poo poo on meant the tank could never engage if there's pressure, so you have to do the peeling thing, but the backline killers were either unpeelable (hanzo/widow oneshots) or got out really easily with any form of support (genji/tracer) or just straight up made life hell with no real counter (sombra).

At least with the offtank flexibility would could move stuff about. But also this game has kinda sucked since role lock and i'll fite anyone who say's otherwise.

(please don't say otherwise i'm not actually going to fight).

But yes, CC should come back. Maybe not as extreme but it's really crappy just slowly removing all of the protection the backline has.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I was bad at OW and I’m bad at OW2, but the matchmaking seems way worse now. I tried to play recently with some friends and the game seems convinced that being a 4-stack infinitely outweighs the fact we’re all casual bronze players and it was a stream of crushing defeats against much better players until we quit to play DRG.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Ashcans posted:

I was bad at OW and I’m bad at OW2, but the matchmaking seems way worse now. I tried to play recently with some friends and the game seems convinced that being a 4-stack infinitely outweighs the fact we’re all casual bronze players and it was a stream of crushing defeats against much better players until we quit to play DRG.

Oh that's always been the case. Even in OW1 it prioritized other stacks regardless of skill level. We used to run "unofficial gm nights" where a bunch of gm's/masters/t500's would just stack and run qp over and over again. Every now and again we'd run into non-brainworms players and wonder how the gently caress it thought 5 gm's vs silver at most would work out.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

I have a positive winrate with my three most commonly played characters, yet I've been stuck at Bronze 5 for 3 seasons every since a rank reset dropped me from Silver. I really, really don't understand this system.

Also, yeah, I have a terrible experience with matchmaking. A lot of people claim it is fine for them, but I almost never have an even, close match.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

dogstile posted:

Oh that's always been the case. Even in OW1 it prioritized other stacks regardless of skill level. We used to run "unofficial gm nights" where a bunch of gm's/masters/t500's would just stack and run qp over and over again. Every now and again we'd run into non-brainworms players and wonder how the gently caress it thought 5 gm's vs silver at most would work out.

We definitely had similar issues before, but I don't know, it feels even worse now. It might just be that I am even worse at this version so the matches are tougher overall, or that the 6 to 5 swap somehow makes the matching for a 4-stack even more challenging? Like we can't be paired with a competent duo now, it's always some poor loner I feel I have to apologize to. We always had bad matchups but now it seems relentless. Maybe the pool of people casually teaming is a lot smaller as well? Whatever it is, it is not good for playing!

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Tuxedo Gin posted:

I have a positive winrate with my three most commonly played characters, yet I've been stuck at Bronze 5 for 3 seasons every since a rank reset dropped me from Silver. I really, really don't understand this system.

Also, yeah, I have a terrible experience with matchmaking. A lot of people claim it is fine for them, but I almost never have an even, close match.

Bronze is the biggest division of players, at the bottom of the bell curve and brozne 5 is the worst. It covers 0-1100, where as bronze 4-1 is divided between 1100 and 1499, so if you were truly at the bottom of bronze 5 (0) it will take some moderate effort to climb out.

Each time you do rank up, it should give you a % of players that you are better than, higher is better and more likely you're going to rank out of bronze 5.

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Superman Don't Need No Seat Belt

Tuxedo Gin posted:

I had to stop comp when it said “you progress with 5 wins or 15 losses” when I was silver 2 and had 4 wins and 9 losses. Won my 5th and was excited to get so close to gold and it loving said congrats. You’re now Silver 4… was like wtf I’m done.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Overwatch was doomed from the start when they launched an fps with a giant shield carrying tank character

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Rawrbomb posted:

Bronze is the biggest division of players, at the bottom of the bell curve and brozne 5 is the worst. It covers 0-1100, where as bronze 4-1 is divided between 1100 and 1499, so if you were truly at the bottom of bronze 5 (0) it will take some moderate effort to climb out.

Each time you do rank up, it should give you a % of players that you are better than, higher is better and more likely you're going to rank out of bronze 5.

The post season reset a couple seasons ago dropped me from silver 3~1 to bronze 5 where I have been stuck for several seasons. I certainly am bad at this game, but as I said I have a positive winrate with my 3 most played characters so I don't understand how I could be stuck for so long when I was mid-high silver before.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Tuxedo Gin posted:

The post season reset a couple seasons ago dropped me from silver 3~1 to bronze 5 where I have been stuck for several seasons. I certainly am bad at this game, but as I said I have a positive winrate with my 3 most played characters so I don't understand how I could be stuck for so long when I was mid-high silver before.

Have you played/ranked much since S4 started? You should be moving closer to your true MMR in each game, but if you haven't played a ton in S4, you're not at your true MMR yet, and may be in a weird spot due to resets/decay that is now gone.

Alfalfa posted:

I had to stop comp when it said “you progress with 5 wins or 15 losses” when I was silver 2 and had 4 wins and 9 losses. Won my 5th and was excited to get so close to gold and it loving said congrats. You’re now Silver 4… was like wtf I’m done.

You played 14 games, and lost 2/3rds of them, and you were surprised you ranked down? I'm not sure why you thought you were going to go up.

urea
Aug 18, 2013

comedyblissoption posted:

ow2 is better than ow1 when the design team allowed there to be a double shield meta, but the raid boss tank dynamic isn't good

Open queue has been great since they nerfed the raid bosses, and I'm really enjoying playing Kiriko. The game is in a good spot imo, but I also don't really care about the PVE.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Rawrbomb posted:

Have you played/ranked much since S4 started? You should be moving closer to your true MMR in each game, but if you haven't played a ton in S4, you're not at your true MMR yet, and may be in a weird spot due to resets/decay that is now gone.

You played 14 games, and lost 2/3rds of them, and you were surprised you ranked down? I'm not sure why you thought you were going to go up.

I guess bronze 5 is my true MMR then. I've played ~60 hours in S4. I still don't understand how I can have a positive winrate and never climb.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Wheeee posted:

Overwatch was doomed from the start when they launched an fps with a giant shield carrying tank character

It was never an FPS, it was first-persona DOTA.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
:<
Playing support has been miserable since OW2 launched and it hasn’t gotten better. The new support is so poorly designed that he is essentially a throw pick. I don’t know if I would say OW is in a good spot. I feel like the only people that have liked OW2 are dps mains.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Lord Packinham posted:

Playing support has been miserable since OW2 launched and it hasn’t gotten better. The new support is so poorly designed that he is essentially a throw pick. I don’t know if I would say OW is in a good spot. I feel like the only people that have liked OW2 are dps mains.

I never played OW1 so I have no basis for comparison here but I'm still enjoying OW2 daily playing 90% support. I started out one tricking Moira but I've been playing Brig, Bap, Kiriko, and Zen more, and gone from Bronze 5 in my first season (Season 2) to peaking Gold 1 this past season. I seem to keep progressing, learning new things and getting better etc. I know lots of people are disappointed with things but, for me personally I don't see it. The game is what it is, it's it's own little niche of an FPS game. If you don't enjoy it then stop playing it. Compared to some other online multiplayer games I play, this one gets tons of attention and balancing.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GGam7tHwts

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

yeah i dont understand how cc removal is the culprit for the apparent miserable support experience tbh. if anything id say the removal of a second tank is responsible but even then it feels like a fair trade to get 'tank walks through your tank and obliterates you' for 'flanking cassidy stunlocks you and obliterates you'

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

overwatch 3 should be 4 dps, 1 healer

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Endorph posted:

Nah, 5 dps.

Remember, face aims towards the meatgrinder, not away from it

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

4 dps, 1 wrecking ball

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Endorph posted:

but one of the dps has to be bigger, and maybe has some ways of mitigating damage either for themselves or their teammates

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Endorph posted:

4 dps, 1 wrecking ball

:hmmyes:

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Tuxedo Gin posted:

I guess bronze 5 is my true MMR then. I've played ~60 hours in S4. I still don't understand how I can have a positive winrate and never climb.
You are absolutely climbing, the next time you get a rank update, pay attention to that % of players number. Did it go up or down?

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
OW 1 had problems with meta (goats, double shield, etc), but was objectively better than OW2 is in almost every way.

Here's the problem: The game was designed to be 6v6. The team (let's face it, neutered and inexperienced relative to some of the devs who were on OW1 but not OW2) tried their best to change as many things as they could to make the game suitable for 5v5, but there is probably no amount of changes they could ever do to make it a perfect fit. In order to do that, you'd have to redesign everything from scratch for it to fit 5v5 better. The fundamental way the game has always played feels way worse when you have raid boss ranks that are better than every character in the game that isn't a tank; it's a shooter, not a MOBA. Granted the biggest problem the game has always had from day 1 is an identity crisis where it tries to do too many things that too many different genres do, and gets confused in the process. The core of the game will always feel like it's SUPPOSED to be a shooter, so anything that makes it feel more like a different genre is a step in the wrong direction.

Re: Supports

Not sure what game you guys are playing where playing support is hard or feels bad, I'd say just like almost every tank in the game is better than almost every non-tank, almost every support in the game (haha, LW) is better than almost every damage. In fact, i'd argue supports feeling better might be the one thing OW2 does right in a sea of dozens of missteps. I suspect the problem that many people are having is that the game trends towards a 'DPS' meta, regardless of what role you are playing. If you are playing tank, you want to be putting out damage. If you are playing support, you want to be putting out damage and or enabling your team in a way that allows them to put out damage (this is why LW sucks so much, for the record, he has low capabilities here despite the tools he was given). If you simply try to heal bot, you will probably suck, you will get dove, die, and complain about being dove and killed. Of course a peel helps in many situations, but you have all the tools you need on almost every support to not get wrecked in your QP and gold ranked games.

BabyRyoga fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jun 12, 2023

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

If you make OW2 5 dps then maybe it'll actually work somewhat for a change, because literally every single change between OW1 and OW2 for to service the DPS player anyway.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

i would be interested to see how a 5 dps mode would play with overwatches character range but tbh i would still like it if a dps just had a bat they beat the poo poo out of you with

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

i would be interested to see how a 5 dps mode would play with overwatches character range but tbh i would still like it if a dps just had a bat they beat the poo poo out of you with

New game mode right there. DPS heroes only, they all get a foam bat.

And then they take the foam off the bat because its more effective.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Tuxedo Gin posted:

What's your winrate? Are you like 50-25 or like 50-45?

drewmoney
Mar 11, 2004
https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/overwatch/t/overwatch-2-retail-patch-notes-june-13-2023/824909

Don't mind seeing the end of hanzo and widow but adding all these slows might be frustrating.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Moira definitely needed a massive survivability nerf.

To keep me away from the game that is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

yeah i dont understand how cc removal is the culprit for the apparent miserable support experience tbh. if anything id say the removal of a second tank is responsible but even then it feels like a fair trade to get 'tank walks through your tank and obliterates you' for 'flanking cassidy stunlocks you and obliterates you'

It's not in a vacuum, they took away most of the ways supports got protected, needed the other ways later (see, sleep dart).