Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

I remembered to check specs of CS2 and uh... that's quite a jump from minimum to recommended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Well, the massive difference between minimum and recommended is in the graphics card, and that makes sense to me? Like there's a lot of prop detail we're seeing in all these shots that could very easily turn off at the cost of making the game look like crap, and I'm guessing that's minimum spec.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

They have the British thing where you put a tiny roundabout in a normal sized intersection

Although I hope signals actually work properly in this

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

It's fun looking for bugs in the trailer. Some weird poo poo happening with crosswalks, and all the roundabouts allow you to turn both directions (or at least are marked as such).

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

Grand Fromage posted:

It's fun looking for bugs in the trailer. Some weird poo poo happening with crosswalks, and all the roundabouts allow you to turn both directions (or at least are marked as such).

Honestly seeing some of those makes me more comfortable, it shows they didn't really fake the heck out of it.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Grand Fromage posted:

yeah stuff like the spinning cars in the middle of roads was funny to see in a promotional trailer. But so many other smaller things. The weird crosswalks, also crosswalks existing at all on a highway interchange.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

it's hosed up that the day/night cycle is probably at least 24 minutes but there's no way to adjust public transport line numbers on an hourly basis. if they're going to make days take longer then simulating things like commuting to and from work/school twice a day makes sense, but if they include that then working with 12 hour budgets that apply to all 7 days in a week sucks

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

You have no drat idea how excited I was to see that upgrade window. It's literally the one thing from SC2013 I kept saying I wanted.

They also showed it for a university btw.

Kyte fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jun 12, 2023

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

VostokProgram posted:

They have the British thing where you put a tiny roundabout in a normal sized intersection

We have a ton of these in Seattle. To make it realistic though they need to make it so people turning left just cut across the wrong way.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

One thing I'm not seeing at all is, the most common type of intersection here in Oz where one road will continue on as if there's no intersection at all, no slow or stop, while the other lower priority road stops to wait. It seems like they always have a stop/slow in all directions, which isn't normal to me.

(We don't really have four-way stops at all except at roundabouts, I've only really heard about four way stops from Americans? But here, if it's not a roundabout or a traffic light, one road will always have priority to continue straight. In theory they could exist - you'd just follow roundabout rules - but in reality I've never seen one.)

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jun 12, 2023

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Upgradable modular buildings that something from simcity 2013 that was absolutely amazing and should have become standard in all city builder and tycoon style games.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

MikeJF posted:

One thing I'm not seeing at all is, the most common type of intersection here in Oz where one road will continue on as if there's no intersection at all, no slow or stop, while the other lower priority road stops to wait. It seems like they always have a stop/slow in all directions, which isn't normal to me.

(We don't really have four-way stops at all except at roundabouts, I've only really heard about four way stops from Americans? But here, if it's not a roundabout or a traffic light, one road will always have priority to continue straight. In theory they could exist - you'd just follow roundabout rules - but in reality I've never seen one.)

You can do this in TM:PE, I don't know if it's in the base game. Priority roads like that also are common in the US. Four way stops are mostly for local roads in neighborhoods where there's not supposed to be through traffic.

DarkLich
Feb 19, 2004
The patch today had some new assets, along with several helpful bug fixes (yay, I can choose my bus models again).

First, the new plazas. They're all weird, with only the "Creator's Library" looking like a real functional building:

Next, new commercial assets. I like these, even if they're all showing similar CS2 billboard:

No clue where to start looking for the new 'treasure map' asset though.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
As a vanilla player in all games the technical upgrades and visual upgrades look super duper. Cant wait for October.

Jutsuka
Jun 5, 2011

Grand Fromage posted:

Doesn't sound like regions are in it. Long may SimCity 4 reign.

This interview with Mariina Hallikainen has some new information and this quote might make you very happy: “You can grow a continuous city from the starting tiles, create smaller separate areas connected by pre-built highways in the map or anything in-between".

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2023/06/12/cities-skylines-ii-is-a-truly-enormous-sequel-and-its-built-as-much-for-console-as-pc/

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
I am having a hard time believing cs2 will only need 16gb of ram for required. CS1 with most, but not all, dlc barely runs with that. Until the program lets up about an hour into playing, it runs my 16gb at 90% usage.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Eric the Mauve posted:

Someone, sooner or later if civilization lasts long enough, will make 3D Modern Interface Simcity 4 as an indie game. That person will get very rich.

I'm honestly baffled that nobody has even claimed to be working on an Open TTD style reimplementation of SC4 by now. I get it'd be a significantly greater technical challenge than for games from the previous decade, but for nobody to even have the naive hubris to declare they're doing it really seems odd.

Anyway I am hype for CS2. I deeply appreciate that several things that came in DLC in the original are vanilla content here. That's a level of respect for the player that is all too rare.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Does anyone have a good summary of what CS2 will be launching with as content? Especially compared to CS1?

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

DarkLich posted:

No clue where to start looking for the new 'treasure map' asset though.
About that... second building is QR code at night, it gives you decipherable message that turns into redeemable code

Jutsuka
Jun 5, 2011

I've been doing some calculations and if we assume that the numbers given in the interview I posted are correct then given a buildable area of 172 km² and a max of 150 buyable tiles, the tiles in CS2 would be about 1,15 km² or roughly 1,07x1,07 km. Which would mean a total map size of about 507 km² at 21x21 tiles. If the game can be modded to allow you to build on all 441 tiles you could probably build a city large enough to melt your computer.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Ms Adequate posted:

I'm honestly baffled that nobody has even claimed to be working on an Open TTD style reimplementation of SC4 by now. I get it'd be a significantly greater technical challenge than for games from the previous decade, but for nobody to even have the naive hubris to declare they're doing it really seems odd.

A few years ago someone tried doing that with SimCity 2000. EA shut them down within a week of the first youtube upload/reddit post.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Jutsuka posted:

This interview with Mariina Hallikainen has some new information and this quote might make you very happy: “You can grow a continuous city from the starting tiles, create smaller separate areas connected by pre-built highways in the map or anything in-between".

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2023/06/12/cities-skylines-ii-is-a-truly-enormous-sequel-and-its-built-as-much-for-console-as-pc/

Eh. You could do that in CS:1 too if you had a tile unlock mod to give you the space. Now if they've added a system where building separate cities on the same map makes them actually separate cities with their own power grids/budgets/etc that would be something, but I doubt it.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Jutsuka posted:

I've been doing some calculations and if we assume that the numbers given in the interview I posted are correct then given a buildable area of 172 km² and a max of 150 buyable tiles, the tiles in CS2 would be about 1,15 km² or roughly 1,07x1,07 km. Which would mean a total map size of about 507 km² at 21x21 tiles. If the game can be modded to allow you to build on all 441 tiles you could probably build a city large enough to melt your computer.

Where did you hear 150 buyable tiles? From what they've said you can purchase all/almost all 441. Keep in mind that this is a CS1 map:

There are only actually 25 tiles. People say that maps are 9x9 tiles but they really aren't. The only tiles that normally exist are the ones that you can purchase in the vanilla game, any more than that are added by mods.

also god drat

quote:

“It supports a redesigned economic system which is built on real-life economic models,” Hallikainen tells us. “This means that citizens in Cities: Skylines II earn money and spend it on living, travelling and activities in their free time.”

Companies find locations with good connections to resources and access to the workforce, and adjust their production in real time to help boost their profitability. The various new material resources allow for a deeper business simulation as the companies sell, buy, import, export and refine the resources into goods that are then sold to citizens and other companies.

The pathfinding and traffic AI have also been reworked to make for a more immersive experience. Vehicles can make decisions on the fly that will improve the flow of traffic, such as changing lanes, and will even try to give way to emergency vehicles passing by. It’s smarter, reactive, and makes for hyper-realistic management.

“Another cool and new thing is the introduction of parking spaces, which really makes the cities feel more realistic,” Hallikainen adds. “The citizens need to find a parking space and that will further drive up the importance of handling roads and traffic.”

The simulation really sounds like it's going to be massively improved, with a lot of dumb poo poo like pocket cars getting the dumpster and old industries DLC style resources being integrated into the full simulation.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I hope there are no pocket cars. What I really want is for car ownership to be simulated. Set it to be like Tokyo where only 30% of your sims have a car at all so you better fuckin provide good transit.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

If there are 441 tiles per map they are going to be very tiny tiles, is my guess.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

They're smaller yeah. I wonder what "your city can have over 4,000 building assets" means. 4,000 vanilla buildings I guess? I have like 4,000 workshop items subscribed already.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jun 13, 2023

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Big enough to fit an airport, but just barely

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Grand Fromage posted:

I hope there are no pocket cars. What I really want is for car ownership to be simulated. Set it to be like Tokyo where only 30% of your sims have a car at all so you better fuckin provide good transit.

I think the best math guesstimate that I saw was that they're 1/3 the size of CS1 tiles, which sounds good to me. One of the shittiest things about making maps in CS1 is just how big the tiles are. Having tile unlocks be like 1/3rd of the investment will make it a lot easier to ignore players who don't want to use unlock all mods.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

The game scaling is different I'm sure, but the largest practical region you could make in SimCity 4 before it started exploding (more than usual) was 25x25 large tiles, so 10,000 square kilometers.

Jutsuka
Jun 5, 2011

turn off the TV posted:

Where did you hear 150 buyable tiles? From what they've said you can purchase all/almost all 441. Keep in mind that this is a CS1 map:

The achievements list leaked and the highest tile unlock achievement is 150 tiles so I assumed that was the maximum and if all 441 tiles are unlockable then each tile would only be 0,39 km² which seems very small.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Jutsuka posted:

The achievements list leaked and the highest tile unlock achievement is 150 tiles so I assumed that was the maximum and if all 441 tiles are unlockable then each tile would only be 0,39 km² which seems very small.

I just double checked the gameplay trailer and they have 167 tiles unlocked in one of the shots, so it's definitely more than 150.

I think they are just very small. That's a good thing because you won't have as many issues where you want to buy an entire 1.9x1.9km tile for something like 100 square meters on one side of a river or something like that.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Has anybody seen anything about required specs for this? Google only pulls up several “we don’t know, but this is what we assume” results

Gonna have to get a new computer either way, my 2015 MacBook Pro doesn’t handle anything but web browsing well these days :v:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

The Maroon Hawk posted:

Has anybody seen anything about required specs for this? Google only pulls up several “we don’t know, but this is what we assume” results

Gonna have to get a new computer either way, my 2015 MacBook Pro doesn’t handle anything but web browsing well these days :v:

MINIMUM:
Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-4790K / AMD® Ryzen™ 5 1600X
Memory: 8 GB RAM
Graphics: Nvidia® GeForce™ GTX 780 (3GB) or AMD® Radeon™ RX 470 (4GB)

RECOMMENDED:
Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-9700K | AMD® Ryzen™ 5 5600X
Memory: 16 GB RAM
Graphics: Nvidia® GeForce™ RTX 2080 Ti (11GB) | AMD® Radeon™ RX 6800 XT (16GB)

E: This seems wildly optimistic given how hard CS is on computers, particularly the RAM, but. :shrug: Hopefully it runs better this time.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jun 13, 2023

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

The Maroon Hawk posted:

Wait, can you even okay Skylines 1 on that? I have a MacBook Pro from 2019 and it can barely handle it. It’s what ended up getting me to go back to play SC4 instead and finding I still liked it better.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

CO always answered questions about whether they'd fold various mod capabilities into C:S with "definitely not, we want the base game to be runnable on a potato." Well screw that for C:S2! Beefy gaming rig or GTFO.

I suspect that's substantially what the gameplay improvements for C:S2 will be--stuff you could only do with mods in C:S1, not needing mods for this time.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Koramei posted:

Wait, can you even okay Skylines 1 on that? I have a MacBook Pro from 2019 and it can barely handle it. It’s what ended up getting me to go back to play SC4 instead and finding I still liked it better.

It worked well enough for a few years, not great especially when my cities grew big but it was serviceable. I’d be afraid to even try now

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Grand Fromage posted:

No car-centric city builder will ever show the actual space and financial costs of mass car-focused transport systems. People want their dense shiny skyscraper forest cities buzzing with cars and just not have to ever think about where they're all stored. It's sad because parking policy is probably the biggest driver of land use and zoning policy in cities. "No one wants to see that in a game" they confidently decare. Really? And they do want deathcare, and sewage, and power lines? How are those all not "boring ugly technical aspects" but parking is?

I think it mostly comes from laziness, and an unwillingness to ever step too far outside of the classic simcity ideological box. Although the mechanics of most city builders can differ, the core ideology about how cities work remains pretty consistent. It's always this weird very american very neo-liberal fantasy world where low taxes stimulate growth, more cops and police stations simply lower crime around themselves, there's a bottomless well of white collar professional office and tech jobs just chomping at the bit to relocate to any random city with the right taxes and zoning, and that everyone can own a car and drive everywhere in any size city so long as your highway interchanges are advanced enough and your lane math correct.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Eric the Mauve posted:

I suspect that's substantially what the gameplay improvements for C:S2 will be--stuff you could only do with mods in C:S1, not needing mods for this time.

A lot of the gameplay improvements are going to be things that you couldn't do with mods in CS1. The people who had made a lot of those road mods are being given access to the game's source code and years to work on whatever tools they decided to implement.

Baronjutter posted:

No car-centric city builder will ever show the actual space and financial costs of mass car-focused transport systems. People want their dense shiny skyscraper forest cities buzzing with cars and just not have to ever think about where they're all stored. It's sad because parking policy is probably the biggest driver of land use and zoning policy in cities. "No one wants to see that in a game" they confidently decare. Really? And they do want deathcare, and sewage, and power lines? How are those all not "boring ugly technical aspects" but parking is?

I think it mostly comes from laziness, and an unwillingness to ever step too far outside of the classic simcity ideological box. Although the mechanics of most city builders can differ, the core ideology about how cities work remains pretty consistent. It's always this weird very american very neo-liberal fantasy world where low taxes stimulate growth, more cops and police stations simply lower crime around themselves, there's a bottomless well of white collar professional office and tech jobs just chomping at the bit to relocate to any random city with the right taxes and zoning, and that everyone can own a car and drive everywhere in any size city so long as your highway interchanges are advanced enough and your lane math correct.

There are a lot of very large plopped parking lots shown in the trailer, there's a parking lot tab under the road section, and the devs have said that citizens have to park their cars. I'm pretty sure that parking is going to be an aspect of the simulation.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jun 13, 2023

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
city skylines the first ran on unity, and given it game out a little shy of ten years ago, early unity.

other games that came out on the same year that use unity; kerbal space program

it's relative, ofc it'll be cleaner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

turn off the TV posted:

A lot of the gameplay improvements are going to be things that you couldn't do with mods in CS1. The people who had made a lot of those road mods are being given access to the game's source code and years to work on whatever tools they decided to implement.

There are a lot of very large plopped parking lots shown in the trailer, there's a parking lot tab under the road section, and the devs have said that citizens have to park their cars. I'm pretty sure that parking is going to be an aspect of the simulation.

Thats promising! I just want a game where if you want to go all out with low density residential and highways, you're going to need enough parking at both ends. You can't have that charming 3 story walkup with minimal setbacks because there needs to be room for parking. You can't have that nice office building, there isn't enough parking. You're stuck with strip malls, office parks, and suburban housing with multi-car garages. Even your apartments need huge parking lagoons around them. That 2x2 apartment needs a 3x2 parking lot attached to it or it just won't show up. If you want more space efficient buildings that don't require so much of their lot dedicated to parking, you gotta build good transit and good walkability.