Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

thebardyspoon posted:

I'd be interested in seeing the attrition rates for a lot of big studios to be honest. I think people would be surprised at how relatively few people stick around for the full dev cycle of these massive AAA productions and then want to do another one at the same company. You move on and get a better paying or more interesting, which in some cases is just "different" job elsewhere.

One of the narratives around ToTK is that it's remarkable and notable how many people worked on Breath of the Wild and some of the prior Zelda's even. It wouldn't be notable if it was common imo.

Nintendo in general is almost unique in the industry for actually retaining its talent, like the credits of Mario 64 have people who either still work at the company or have retired or died. The rest of the industry constantly scattering the teams who made great games to the wind and killing its golden geese is astounding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

njsykora posted:

E: OK looking at it more they're literally just continuing what was Waypoint+ using the same backend system, so if you were signed up to Waypoint+ you're automatically subbed to Remap. That still feels like a super weird way of going about it.

I got the sense it all kind of came together in a hurry and is still a WIP. With them continuing over the existing subscriptions I think it’s fine - if it was a brand new thing it’d be a bit nuts.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

lagidnam posted:

2k also keeps on gutting Firaxis.

I mean, this is the least-surprising thing ever, after Midnight Suns sold terribly and Jake Solomon left Firaxis, essentially saying on Twitter that he had less than zero interest in making more X-COM games.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

Timby posted:

I mean, this is the least-surprising thing ever, after Midnight Suns sold terribly and Jake Solomon left Firaxis, essentially saying on Twitter that he had less than zero interest in making more X-COM games.

Slight off-topic I guess but I feel like a lot of Midnight Suns problems came from the marketing. The advertisements, at least on Steam, seemed to really bury what kind of game it was until you dug in and saw it was a card-based combat game. I believe the trailers don't even show gameplay, just cinematic action sequences. Not sure what I expected, but it felt a little like a bait-and-switch.

Anno
May 10, 2017

The trailer that first loads on Steam currently at least doesn’t emphasize the card play but certainly shows it. I think their problem was actually the other way around - there were a lot of pre-release streams and other marketing and I think they got a lot of feedback that people disliked the card stuff so they did their best to downplay it when possible.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Anno posted:

The trailer that first loads on Steam currently at least doesn’t emphasize the card play but certainly shows it. I think their problem was actually the other way around - there were a lot of pre-release streams and other marketing and I think they got a lot of feedback that people disliked the card stuff so they did their best to downplay it when possible.

Are Steam trailers regional? because to me none of the two trailers actually show any gameplay card or not, and there is only a single screenshot with cards.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

cmdrk posted:

Slight off-topic I guess but I feel like a lot of Midnight Suns problems came from the marketing. The advertisements, at least on Steam, seemed to really bury what kind of game it was until you dug in and saw it was a card-based combat game. I believe the trailers don't even show gameplay, just cinematic action sequences. Not sure what I expected, but it felt a little like a bait-and-switch.

My personal guess would mostly be that the intersection of turn-based tactics, card-based and super-hero themed doesn't exactly paint a Venn diagram that covers a massive playerbase.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

FishMcCool posted:

My personal guess would mostly be that the intersection of turn-based tactics, card-based and super-hero themed doesn't exactly paint a Venn diagram that covers a massive playerbase.

Yeah, I was excited a bit for a strategy game from XCOM devs but found out it was card-based casual game a few weeks before release and lost all interest. And the amount of people still hyped for card games, 4 years after Slay the Spire, can't be that many... It's coming at the end of an absolute glut of card-based strategy games, like how there's a few high profile GaaS 3rd person shooters coming out nowadays and dying immediately. Still got that Suicide Squad game coming too!

Which ties into how they tried to downplay the card aspects when they realized it was a turnoff.

And Marvel superhero games really don't seem to sell that well considering Avengers and GotG also seemed to do poorly. GotG was well-regarded too (I think it won a Geoffy?). Spider-Man did well but it's also essentially a Sony first-party game.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think releasing games based on extremely popular movies when you can't actually make the characters look like they do in the movies is just a fatal mistake. It's difficult not to see them as weird knockoffs.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Insomniac’s Spider-Man being the exception.

Anno
May 10, 2017

koolkal posted:

Yeah, I was excited a bit for a strategy game from XCOM devs but found out it was card-based casual game

tbf I don't think it's this. By most accounts the combat is by far the highlight of the game and up to the quality you'd expect of Jake & Co.

Hel posted:

Are Steam trailers regional? because to me none of the two trailers actually show any gameplay card or not, and there is only a single screenshot with cards.

Good question, no idea. The first one I see looks like a cut from one of those "accolade" trailers.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Rinkles posted:

Insomniac’s Spider-Man being the exception.

Probably helps that there's already been 3 movie versions of the character so there's not a specific version of the character to compare the game to, unlike Iron Man literally just being Robert Downey Jr

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

FishMcCool posted:

Don't forget that it's a AAA game with a AAA game price that has paid microtransactions front and center on the Steam page.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

It will be interesting to compare how Midnight Suns did in December with the upcoming Aliens Dark Descent (hopefully it'll be good), both licensed action/strategy but kind of stabbing in different directions.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Rarity posted:

Probably helps that there's already been 3 movie versions of the character so there's not a specific version of the character to compare the game to, unlike Iron Man literally just being Robert Downey Jr
Yeah it's different for incredibly iconic characters like Batman or Spiderman whose recognition extends far beyond a single depiction.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Spider-man also had clearly good writing from an established studio (with the game very obviously being an Arkham game except Spider-man) rather than being sub-Whedon about a nothing Marvel comics property from the legendary story tellers at Firaxis

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jun 3, 2023

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I think releasing games based on extremely popular movies when you can't actually make the characters look like they do in the movies is just a fatal mistake. It's difficult not to see them as weird knockoffs.

I think a key distinction is that Avengers blatantly wanted to be an MCU tie-in but they couldn't afford the likenesses. Aside from a few things like Iron Man inevitably being very RDJ, Midnight Suns is steeped in comics stuff and isn't remotely tied into the MCU.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

John Murdoch posted:

I think a key distinction is that Avengers blatantly wanted to be an MCU tie-in but they couldn't afford the likenesses. Aside from a few things like Iron Man inevitably being very RDJ, Midnight Suns is steeped in comics stuff and isn't remotely tied into the MCU.

They had the same issue with the GotG game. Lots of characters, lots of likenesses to pay for - since most of them don't have masks.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

koolkal posted:

Yeah, I was excited a bit for a strategy game from XCOM devs but found out it was card-based casual game a few weeks before release and lost all interest. And the amount of people still hyped for card games, 4 years after Slay the Spire, can't be that many... It's coming at the end of an absolute glut of card-based strategy games, like how there's a few high profile GaaS 3rd person shooters coming out nowadays and dying immediately. Still got that Suicide Squad game coming too!

Which ties into how they tried to downplay the card aspects when they realized it was a turnoff.

Marvel Snap was a massive hit. I was legitimately confused at this post because I thought it was talking about Marvel Snap for a second.

I think cards are far less a turnoff for people than it being a tactical shooter, which is hardly a genre which guarantees hits. Mario+Rabbids: Sparks of Hope underperformed as well and Mario is a far more bankable license than Marvel as far as video games are concerned

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
It's been litigated a lot over the in the Midnight Suns thread but basically it's a flawed cult classic and you may absolutely love it, or not. Worth tracking for a sale.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

I think Guardians also had to deal with coming out in the wake of the Avengers game, which was pretty bad.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

I really liked playing through the story of the Avengers game, for the most part. There was some good writing in there and most of the characters were fun to play as.

It's a drat shame it's reputation ended up tanking the Guardians game.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

BisbyWorl posted:

Don't forget that it's a AAA game with a AAA game price that has paid microtransactions front and center on the Steam page.

It’s this. There’s a degree of knee-jerk distaste for cards among gamers but the monetization of Midnight Suns was a disaster. There’s four editions of the game ranging from $60 to $100, and the only bonus of the $100 edition is that it contains cosmetics exclusive to it that are not part of the season pass - so they offered microtransactions for anyone who bought any other edition where they could buy an in-game currency that they could then spend on those cosmetics but wasn’t used for anything else. (As opposed to offering “edition upgrades” like most other games.)

The end result of this is that consumers saw that this was a game with card-based gameplay that had microtransactions and assumed you’d be buying booster packs with real money, putting the Artifact stank all over it.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Pirate Jet posted:

It’s this. There’s a degree of knee-jerk distaste for cards among gamers but the monetization of Midnight Suns was a disaster. There’s four editions of the game ranging from $60 to $100, and the only bonus of the $100 edition is that it contains cosmetics exclusive to it that are not part of the season pass - so they offered microtransactions for anyone who bought any other edition where they could buy an in-game currency that they could then spend on those cosmetics but wasn’t used for anything else. (As opposed to offering “edition upgrades” like most other games.)

The end result of this is that consumers saw that this was a game with card-based gameplay that had microtransactions and assumed you’d be buying booster packs with real money, putting the Artifact stank all over it.

That didn't even occur to me, actually. My first thought was 'you're charging $80 for the base game and $66 for the season pass and you're still demanding more?'

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Vandar posted:

I really liked playing through the story of the Avengers game, for the most part. There was some good writing in there and most of the characters were fun to play as.

It's a drat shame it's reputation ended up tanking the Guardians game.

Yeah, it sucks that they decided Avengers had to be a GaaS because even with the game designed to be about the endgame, the Campaign was still a lot of fun, and if they put more effort there and just... didn't, with the post-campaign grind, maybe it could have been more. I don't regret the first 8 or so hours I spent with the game... just the following 12 or so where I tried to play the aftergame stuff before I learned how garbage it was at it.

Not to mention, SE, you clowns did Outriders just months later, were you really greedy enough to try and maintain two high-budget GaaS at the same time, or were you always intending one to wither and die on the vine? (Instead, both withered and died on the vine because Avengers was bad as a GaaS and Outriders was just not very compelling in either mode, but that's besides the point)

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I thought Outrider's big problem was that it was launched in an unbelievably broken state where situations like "your entire inventory has vanished forever" were happening enough for them to have to put out a Twitter message about it. All the reviews from the era mention it being pretty fun otherwise, from what I recall.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Vermain posted:

I thought Outrider's big problem was that it was launched in an unbelievably broken state where situations like "your entire inventory has vanished forever" were happening enough for them to have to put out a Twitter message about it. All the reviews from the era mention it being pretty fun otherwise, from what I recall.

I played a ton of it right up until the moment my character just vanished into the nether permanently.

Technicals aside, the game was decent. It had a end game that was miles ahead of it's peers and allowed for at least some exploration in it's game systems. It's scenarios were C- at best, but were largely carried by it's systems. It's end game was better then most, but I feel like no one is even trying except Warframe. I really felt like it didn't want to fall into the trap of the optimal line being, 'cover > shoot > cover > shoot', but it didn't have enough going on to capitalize on that as well as it maybe could have.

I got 30~ hours out of it, which I didn't plan on. I played out it's end game a fair bit and while I can't say it's a game I'd probably put more then another 20 in after that, I went in expecting little, and got a lot more out of it then I expected.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Vermain posted:

Yeah, it's launch was trash, but it had kinda the an inverse problem from Avengers- the campaign was boring because they reigned everything in way too hard to accommodate incomplete characters missing core tools all the way at the end of their skill trees and guns that didn't really get interesting until late-game modifiers started showing up, but it also was just Destiny 2 shoved through a Gears of War filter and just like every game that was World of Warcraft but X before it, when most of your playerbase are gonna be people coming from the game you're aping, with accounts with hundreds to thousands of hours invested in the game you're pulling so heavily from... how do you stop them from just going back once they've gotten enough of a taste to whet their curiosity for something mildly different?

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Mr. Locke posted:

Yeah, it's launch was trash, but it had kinda the an inverse problem from Avengers- the campaign was boring because they reigned everything in way too hard to accommodate incomplete characters missing core tools all the way at the end of their skill trees and guns that didn't really get interesting until late-game modifiers started showing up, but it also was just Destiny 2 shoved through a Gears of War filter and just like every game that was World of Warcraft but X before it, when most of your playerbase are gonna be people coming from the game you're aping, with accounts with hundreds to thousands of hours invested in the game you're pulling so heavily from... how do you stop them from just going back once they've gotten enough of a taste to whet their curiosity for something mildly different?

I don't think destiny does the same thing where they misrepresent their player numbers publicly, particularly around PC bangs, to give bad market expectations to their competitors.

No game performed as well as WoW. Even WoW.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Hi,

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Those profit margins are crazy! They have similar net income to Nintendo/Blizzard but with only 1/4th the expenses. They're making nearly $1.70 for every $1 they spend.

quadrata
Feb 27, 2023
Etymology [ edit ]
The letters "H" and "Y" in miHoYo's name come from the names 2 of 3 founders, Cai Haoyu and Luo Yuhao, and the letter "O" was added based on the fact that names of famous companies such as Facebook, Google and Microsoft contain that letter. Due to "HoYo" already being registered, "mi" from the VOCALOID software Hatsune Miku was prepended to the name. Hatsune Miku was picked because of her popularity among otakus.[3]

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

quadrata posted:

Etymology [ edit ]
The letters "H" and "Y" in miHoYo's name come from the names 2 of 3 founders, Cai Haoyu and Luo Yuhao, and the letter "O" was added based on the fact that names of famous companies such as Facebook, Google and Microsoft contain that letter. Due to "HoYo" already being registered, "mi" from the VOCALOID software Hatsune Miku was prepended to the name. Hatsune Miku was picked because of her popularity among otakus.[3]

Well it seems like it worked for them.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

leper khan posted:

I don't think destiny does the same thing where they misrepresent their player numbers publicly, particularly around PC bangs, to give bad market expectations to their competitors.

No game performed as well as WoW. Even WoW.

To be honestly I can't help but admire that tactic, it's dirty but hilarious to make all your competitors poo poo their pants and ruin themselves trying to keep up with your pretend success. Just a shame for the rest of us having to deal with it.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

https://twitter.com/wario64/status/1668301904592654336?s=61&t=-vp9P7i8Kl2W3uKiLPEWrA

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

and the week before

https://www.ign.com/articles/microsoft-charged-20-million-by-ftc-over-illegally-collected-childrens-information-on-xbox

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Lol kids don't even have credit card information to steal, MS can't even information theft right.

Wait did kids have credit cards now?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The general consensus is this is good for Microsoft because it gets it in front of a lawyer now, in a speedy trial, where they get to argue on merits instead of waiting for the FTC to try and slow roll.

Like the FTC losing this was such a foregone conclusion MS announced they would close the deal without their approval back when they thought the CMA would approve.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

dr_rat posted:

Lol kids don't even have credit card information to steal, MS can't even information theft right.

Wait did kids have credit cards now?

A lot of kids now have prepaid Visa or Mastercards that their allowance is paid to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
In a move that absolutely nobody could see coming after their initial acquisition spree, the Embracer Group is about to begin chopping off heads to become "...a leaner, stronger, more focused and self-sufficient company".