Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay dog house
My feed is literally just r/svenska now lol it's a good site for little communities like people have said and if you find the right ones people are super inclusive and don't get into little slapfights. and if you have a problem and google it you just get garbage unless you add Reddit at the end and it's pretty much a guarantee someone else has had the same problem with a bunch of people offering good solutions to try instead of stack exchange closing issues for no reason. The big subreddits are poo poo and bad and prob give it the bad reputation it has.

I used to hate the nested discussion system thing but now I think it works a lot better than a regular message board. It's easier to see relevant stuff and I can just collapse replies I don't care about. SA is fun and unique but like the pyf funny pictures thread is just people taking pics from Reddit and posting them here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Frogz posted:

Thank you for this great piece of advice. But: if I’m right, and correct me if not, the rules imply that that would be quite unwise.

It's only wise if you pretend to be an excon telling tales about prison life.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

killer crane posted:

Because if you make a bad post here you'll have someone spend minutes of their life telling you that your specific post gave them ball cancer. On reddit it takes less than a second to downvote a bad post and move on.

It's really incredibly easy to make posts that don't receive that kind of response here imo. Just don't be like, literally a bigot or something. And don't you loving dare put rice in my burrito.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

AmbientParadox posted:

I mean this is the most positive way possible: you were posting garbage on reddit without concern. Why stop now?

*terms & conditions may apply, choose your subforum carefully when doing this

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

AARD VARKMAN posted:

And don't you loving dare put rice in my burrito.

I don't understand this. Why can't I slap some spanish rice in the burrito? Spanish rice, carne asada, and refried beans is a great combo.

Is this just some stealth post to advocate for french fries in burritos?

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

I put a hot dog and ketchup in my burrito and you can't stop me.

bobmcdynamite
Sep 6, 2011
I'm trying to use this place as a reddit replacement but my threads on why voting should be restricted to white male landowners keep getting removed for some reason.

Gorgeous Zan
Apr 13, 2007

New Haven Yacht Club

killer crane posted:

I was on a niche art hobby subreddit for like 10 years, where it went from like 700 users with a mix of experience to like 17k users, nearly none of them did the actual hobby, but thought it looked cool. So all the posts that filter to the top are the handful of insanely talented artists, most of who don't engage with the thread after they post their work, and any other post about the hobby is just buried and get no engagement. I don't go to reddit for that hobby anymore. That seems like the lifecycle of every subreddit.

Also there are a lot of boomers on reddit now compared to 10 years ago, like how Facebook is now a site for grandmas, reddit will probably be that in a few years. Somethingawful was never ubiquitous enough with young people to attract the elderly.

So what you're saying is I'll be able to sell my used furniture on Reddit in like 2-3 years?

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

Come post in TFF football fans. Even tho it's the off-season we have an active and supportive chat thread where people discuss jobs, love, home repair, and BBQ. While also finding support for our pets that pass on.

Don't be intimidated by the same 15 or so people posting for 15 years. I mean I rarely post but still feel like a member of the community and people are often eager to share insights from their professions and lives. (You don't have to be a professional to post there)

Tl:Dr- gently caress.the rams (and the Cowboys)

Lusty Grundles
Jun 9, 2023

Gorgeous Zan posted:

So what you're saying is I'll be able to sell my used furniture on Reddit in like 2-3 years?
It's absolutely nuts that used furniture is five years behind used bathwater.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

killer crane posted:

I was on a niche art hobby subreddit for like 10 years, where it went from like 700 users with a mix of experience to like 17k users, nearly none of them did the actual hobby, but thought it looked cool. So all the posts that filter to the top are the handful of insanely talented artists, most of who don't engage with the thread after they post their work, and any other post about the hobby is just buried and get no engagement. I don't go to reddit for that hobby anymore. That seems like the lifecycle of every subreddit.

Also there are a lot of boomers on reddit now compared to 10 years ago, like how Facebook is now a site for grandmas, reddit will probably be that in a few years. Somethingawful was never ubiquitous enough with young people to attract the elderly.

:dafuq: What do you think the average age of a Goon is? its not that this site was never popular enough to attract the elderly, this site grew its own. My forums account is older than my mom was when she got married.

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Gorgeous Zan posted:

My city's subreddit has a buy/sell thread stickied every week, so yes, you should be able to do that specific thing.

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

Sophy Wackles posted:

You're so behind the times. The Salchichon burrito ($14.99) is carne asada, polish sausage, guac, sour cream, nacho cheese, and curly fries

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Hell, I'd eat it.

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Vampire Panties posted:

:dafuq: What do you think the average age of a Goon is? its not that this site was never popular enough to attract the elderly, this site grew its own. My forums account is older than my mom was when she got married.

Yeah, that is exactly what I'm saying... SA never really attracted anything but millennials and xers. There's a few boomers and genz, but few and far between.

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug
The guy who runs Reddit said that Reddit has never been profitable.

He said this weeks before an IPO.

:laffo:

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

:getin:

BossTweed
Apr 9, 2001

Doctor Rope

killer crane posted:

My city's subreddit has a buy/sell thread stickied every week, so yes, you should be able to do that specific thing.

My city specific subreddit will probably be the biggest thing I miss. I guess I will just have to spend more time on Facebook and Twitter.

Lusty Grundles
Jun 9, 2023

Meatball posted:

Outside shot: maybe he thinks he can pull an Elon, tank the stock and launch a takeover.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Meatball posted:

Do you think Reddit’s unprofitability is some big secret lol

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy

Who told you of our secret Filipino Mexican fusion restaurant

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

BossTweed posted:

My city specific subreddit will probably be the biggest thing I miss. I guess I will just have to spend more time on Facebook and Twitter.

I once got a Redditor to come tow me like 110 miles when I broke down, my city subreddit rules

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Reddit can't be ubiquitous and profitable, one or the other, not both.

My Dad Nintendo
Oct 7, 2005

Sophy Wackles posted:

Last night I put corned beef in a hotdog bun with ketchup, brown mustard and mayo

feverish and oversexed
Mar 9, 2007

I LOVE the galley!

Hammu-rob-i posted:

Last night I put corned beef in a hotdog bun with ketchup, brown mustard and mayo

Are you okay?

sassypotassium
Jun 12, 2023

Hammu-rob-i posted:

Sounds delicious. Once I put mayo on a couple of saltine crackers and topped it off with some crispy onions. Fine dining, if i say so myself.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Did you read their post? Most definitely not, no.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

I once got a Redditor to come tow me like 110 miles when I broke down, my city subreddit rules

Smaller, niche communities like that tend to rock.

In my experience, tiny European countries also tend to find success with their own subreddits as a general meeting spot, since it's somewhere online to talk in their native tongue where a bunch of different people from all walks of life will join together instead of just grandmothers (Facebook) or random obscure forums with few users (which tend towards being or becoming bigots, generally).

Like, it's not perfect, but I don't take any pleasure from seeing Reddit gone because the smaller communities will not find a decent place to be on. The ubiquity of the platform is what makes it work for those cases.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jun 12, 2023

feverish and oversexed
Mar 9, 2007

I LOVE the galley!

The Bananana posted:

Did you read their post? Most definitely not, no.

They're probably posting from the toilet :rip:

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Frogz posted:

Sounds delicious. Once I put mayo on a couple of saltine crackers and topped it off with some crispy onions. Fine dining, if i say so myself.

I dipped sweet Thai chili doritos in kewpie mayo once while I was making a sandwich and now actively have to force myself not to buy them.

Also a cheese burger cut into pieces in a tortilla with fries and condiments is loving delicious.

Jun 11, 2023

Waltzing Along posted:

It seems like all the subs have gone private. Any google searches that lead there are useless now. Anyone know what is going on?

the same thing that happened to the rest of your life

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe

Hammu-rob-i posted:

There are just some things we shouldn't admit to

Fruity20
Jul 28, 2018

Do you believe in magic, Tenno?
Man, been using Reddit for a while and seeing it go downhill is quite depressing. I mean, enshittification is inevitable with these sorts of site, reddit included. it seems these days everyone wants that slice of the social media pie at the cost of it's own users.

Well, bout time I head back to my roots and get comfy. A bird is telling me things might get worse before it gets better.

Fruity20 fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jun 12, 2023

minute
Jul 31, 2003

AARD VARKMAN posted:

Pro tip you can pretty much skip to the end of any of the long threads here and just read the last few pages and post and unless you're incredibly annoying nothing will happen to you except friendship 🙏

I’m incredibly annoying, though. And only want to interact which others who are equally or more annoying. What will happen to me?

Lusty Grundles
Jun 9, 2023

minute posted:

I’m incredibly annoying, though. And only want to interact which others who are equally or more annoying. What will happen to me?
As someone that's also rather annoying, the only advice I have right now is to sleep until the 14th.

CaptainCourteous
Jan 15, 2009
Has anyone tried Lemmy? It's been the most oft-mentioned alternative leading up to the subreddit blackouts.

I tried it out for a few days after I wiped my reddit accounts. Found the people there even less interesting than redditors.

Then I remembered SA. Read 5k words about fountain pens and found a Monster Hunter thread. Neat.

Thinking I don't want to replace reddit in my life. I read Between Two Fires in a few sittings over the weekend, something I haven't done since... over a decade ago when I switched from message boards to infinite scroll aggregators.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

minute posted:

BYOB is still around isn’t it?

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

FAN OF NICKELBACK posted:

Personally it just felt like SA grew more insular and grumpy over the years while offering less content.

gbs is probably the closest to reddit in terms of repetitive unfunny comments. other forums are better and less grumpy

turn on your monitor wendy's :grin:

My Dad Nintendo
Oct 7, 2005

Frogz posted:

It was. I toasted the hotdog buns mayo-side down. The meat:bun ratio was perfect. I enjoyed it more than on a proper rueben

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Doesn't think, just types.
I don't understand why every techbro CEO suddenly decided to destroy their websites. Elmo set the standard with Twitter, then Imgur, Reddit, Twitch etc all saw that and went "well gently caress making money, we also prefer... memes"?

Like, did something happen economically where the sites can't pay for themselves any longer? But if so, why not just... shut them down or sell them? Why deliberately destroy all value you've built up? how does capitalism work help