Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Oh okay, I did see that then. I dipped out when the credits were actually scrolling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Yeah there was nothing post-. Guess you could say the reveal was pretty mid :imunfunny:

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Eyyy :v:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://www.polygon.com/23736442/dominic-toretto-latino-hispanic-identity-ethnicity
An article about Dom's shifting ethnicity and how the last couple of movies have made him kind of pan-Latino.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
They forgot about fast and furious 4 where there is also latino lore.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
They also forgot about Los Bandoleros, the prequel to Fast and Furious 4

https://vimeo.com/11657499

But anyway while it's hard for a multi billion dollar franchise to NOT be cynical and calculating about everything, Dom is clearly a character who is very mixed in a way that feels quite normal and natural to people who are mixed, and possibly very weird and confusing to people who are not. And naturally the nature of his mixed-ness expands ever more as the series goes on and adds heretofore unmentioned family members and creates ever more connections for this international criminal thief/robber/superspy/car warrior extraordinaire.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Sick at home and found fast five on the tv.
Are there any better words in a film then “We are going to need a team.” Good things can only follow.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

lol at every family photo being stills from past movies

Momoa’s character was an absolute delight, everything with Vin was a snooze fest (how can such sick action set pieces be boring?! what a charisma vacuum) and booo at Gisele being back. Han’s return shoulda been the only resurrection in the series.

was hoping the son would’ve stayed kidnapped til part 2 but eh, can’t win ‘em all.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
https://twitter.com/hideo_kojima_en/status/1662979297685143552?s=46&t=_fVsts1-26_-vpwC3rOANA

Now that’s a review.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

checkplease posted:

Now that’s a review.
Wild Speed Fire Boost is a better title than "Fast X" as well

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
It’s a shame he’s not making games anymore because then he could claim to incorporate it into the next one

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

the escape goat posted:

lol at every family photo being stills from past movies

Momoa’s character was an absolute delight, everything with Vin was a snooze fest (how can such sick action set pieces be boring?! what a charisma vacuum) and booo at Gisele being back. Han’s return shoulda been the only resurrection in the series.

was hoping the son would’ve stayed kidnapped til part 2 but eh, can’t win ‘em all.

Momoa was clearly having too much fun in this movie. Agreed on the kidnapping ending too soon. Dom should rescue him and then learn that "Cool Uncle Dante taught me to deal drugs!"

Clear_Blue
May 29, 2007
Everybody wants to rule the world
The Fast movies always border on (and sometimes cross) the line of being either stupid, mindless and fun, or just stupid and mindless.
To me, Fast 8 and 9 were only stupid and mindless, but Fast X was also fun. By no means does it top Fast 5 and 6, the best in the series.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Clear_Blue posted:

The Fast movies always border on (and sometimes cross) the line of being either stupid, mindless and fun, or just stupid and mindless.
To me, Fast 8 and 9 were only stupid and mindless, but Fast X was also fun. By no means does it top Fast 5 and 6, the best in the series.

I admit that I did kind of like the "cult with cars bit. I do wish the series would just bite the bullet and say that Paul Walker's character died peacefully in his sleep or something.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
https://twitter.com/CSMFHT/status/1663492671061770240

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Amazingly some people still don't understand this.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

The MSJ posted:

I'm looking forward to Fast XXX where 96 year old Vin Diesel has to outrace space ships on his Rascal.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

The MSJ posted:

it really is an annoyingly stupid question, even if it's probably being asked rhetorically a lot of the time

"why do they keep making sequels to this wildly successful and popular franchise that's beloved the world over? i don't even like them" baby brained question

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
The Rock is apparently hyping up the return of Hobbes. Never should have walked from family.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Lmbo

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Lmao yes. Black Adam such a bomb he gotta slum it

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

checkplease posted:

The Rock is apparently hyping up the return of Hobbes. Never should have walked from family.

For all the Twitter drama, Johnson "walked away from the family" for one movie, and still made assloads of bank doing other movies. He probably got a bucket of money for showing up in X and saying one line.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Saw this. Was pretty let down. I loved 5-7 and I think that's when the series was at it's best. 8 was alright, 9 was completely forgettable honestly. I watched it, I know I watched it, I completely forgot it. Like, completely. I forgot that John Cena was in it. I forgot that Alana died, apparently. This series is burdened by its own canon. There are too many characters, too many switching sides, too many coming back from the dead, to keep track of them all. I couldn't figure out why Hobbes wasn't in it. Even while watching the movie I couldn't figure out why characters were fighting (first Han and Jason Statham, then the two girls).

The effects and action sequences were alright. I'm OK suspending my disbelief in physics for a time, but things have become so over the top that it's just silly now. Dom's car, whatever he's driving at the time, has the thickest plot armor of anything in the conceivable universe. They should make aeroplane black boxes out of his car.

Jason Mamoa's character was just out of place and way overacted. I hated every minute he was on screen. He's in all places, at all times, except of course in every movie prior to this one. He was elsewhere... plotting... apparently.

Since they went to space in the last one I was hoping they would take it further and have to go to either the moon or Mars in this one, maybe racing buggies or something. Instead they put a brake on the ridiculousness of the plot but sped forward with the ridiculousness of the characters and individual sequences, if that makes sense, and I think I'm glad this is the end of the franchise. I used to love it but it's collapsing in on itself.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

CornHolio posted:

Saw this. Was pretty let down. I loved 5-7 and I think that's when the series was at it's best. 8 was alright, 9 was completely forgettable honestly. I watched it, I know I watched it, I completely forgot it. Like, completely. I forgot that John Cena was in it. I forgot that Alana died, apparently. This series is burdened by its own canon. There are too many characters, too many switching sides, too many coming back from the dead, to keep track of them all. I couldn't figure out why Hobbes wasn't in it. Even while watching the movie I couldn't figure out why characters were fighting (first Han and Jason Statham, then the two girls).

The effects and action sequences were alright. I'm OK suspending my disbelief in physics for a time, but things have become so over the top that it's just silly now. Dom's car, whatever he's driving at the time, has the thickest plot armor of anything in the conceivable universe. They should make aeroplane black boxes out of his car.

Jason Mamoa's character was just out of place and way overacted. I hated every minute he was on screen. He's in all places, at all times, except of course in every movie prior to this one. He was elsewhere... plotting... apparently.

Since they went to space in the last one I was hoping they would take it further and have to go to either the moon or Mars in this one, maybe racing buggies or something. Instead they put a brake on the ridiculousness of the plot but sped forward with the ridiculousness of the characters and individual sequences, if that makes sense, and I think I'm glad this is the end of the franchise. I used to love it but it's collapsing in on itself.

:goofy:

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

CornHolio posted:

I Floved Mamoa's character in this. Other movies look at him and his physique and make him this brooding big guy hero type. This one lets him be a metrosexual sociopath and he's clearly loving every second of it.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Momoa's character is Goro Majima filtered through a western lens.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Han and Jason Statham fight because the last time Statham saw Han, he had just "killed" him. So when Han shows up on Statham's door, Statham assumes Han is there to kill him and so Statham attacks Han first. He basically says this outright right before he pulls Han back into his gym thing.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Ravenfood posted:

Han and Jason Statham fight because the last time Statham saw Han, he had just "killed" him. So when Han shows up on Statham's door, Statham assumes Han is there to kill him and so Statham attacks Han first. He basically says this outright right before he pulls Han back into his gym thing.

F&F movies tend to drop every two years. That's long enough in between each that a re-watch of the previous movies (or at least a reread of their Wikipedia plot summaries) before watching the next one is probably a good idea.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
So Fast X was kind of mid, huh?

Some good action (of course) but it's a bad sign if you walk out of a movie reminiscing on the tighter told storytelling of Fast 9.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jun 11, 2023

Duckula
Aug 31, 2001

do not resuscitate

vin diesel looked like he was deep faked into every scene

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Everyone posted:

I Floved Mamoa's character in this. Other movies look at him and his physique and make him this brooding big guy hero type. This one lets him be a metrosexual sociopath and he's clearly loving every second of it.

He was the inverse of Statham in 7 and I loved both characters in their omniscient and omnipotent methods, but played completely opposite. The movie just got buried under it's own weight of too many people getting too many scenes. Good riddance to Jacob in one of the most ridiculous things ever , but he isn't dead anyways

Cut out 2/3rds of vin going through the motions and the entire London detour and you probably have a good movie.

trevorreznik fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Jun 11, 2023

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Just saw it tonight, so good! What a movie. Also had a friend there who had X as their first entry in the series, since Tokyo Drift back in the day. They dug it.

What a kitchen sink masterpiece of Fast movie magic. Now I gotta wait two years. Also Han was way cool, I liked in scenes with a few characters goofing around he was just being cool. Man that guy is cool.

Hope Kurt Russell is back for 11 too.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

trevorreznik posted:

He was the inverse of Statham in 7 and I loved both characters in their omniscient and omnipotent methods, but played completely opposite. The movie just got buried under it's own weight of too many people getting too many scenes. Good riddance to Jacob in one of the most ridiculous things ever , but he isn't dead anyways

Cut out 2/3rds of vin going through the motions and the entire London detour and you probably have a good movie.

Eventually the "Family" is going to need to rent a stadium for their Bar-B-Qs because they'll be as large as the Avengers side in the massive battle in Endgame. And we'll see that when they come together to battle their final enemy - CGI Kaiju Decepticon Paul Walker.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Why are you guys making GBS threads on F&F soundtracks.
We Own It and Lane Switcha are bangers

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
That's the thing, We Own It was the peak, See You Again was the denouement, nothing else has ever measured up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3R3VRPOpao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgKAFK5djSk

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

I'm watching fast 9 and as funny as it is that roman is realising he's in a superhero movie it's a bit much when everyone else is doing it.

He's the best character in a not great movie so far.

edit: lmao these two guys are having an argument about their daddy issues in front of all of dom's crew and a bunch of special forces grunts

when did the crew start just murdering people? they shot up a bunch of $country military and now dom is throwing dudes into what looks like a bottomless pit like he's neo in the matrix

edit: they're sending a goddamn fiero to space. "As long as we obey the laws of physics we'll be fine."

What the gently caress the truck flip

Oh my god space nos. Why did they need to break the satellite if Dom and friends were stealing the thing from the infinitely sliding truck?

ilmucche fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jun 12, 2023

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
Is this the thread we have for Fast X? Because Jason Momoa was about as great as expected while the rest of the movie didn't have a ton going for it (I guess also as expected).

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Does Leti even really know who Gisele is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

WhyteRyce posted:

Does Leti even really know who Gisele is?

I hadn't thought about it but yeah: Letty comes back in 6, which Gisele dies at the end of.