Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Splint Chesthair posted:

Which is extra-weird because Miguel insists Miles was never supposed to be Spider-Man. So why does he also insist Miles needs to have a canon event? Does he need it to make him more Spider-Manny?

Anyway I'm nitpicking the middle section of a trilogy that's not finished yet and like you said Miguel is not shown to be in his right mind. He's literally shooting up when he's introduced.

because, while that Miles wasn't supposed to be Spider-Man he is now which means he has to play by the rules everyone else does.

Which gets to the other theme of the movie. People telling the younger generation that how it happened to them is how its supposed to happen like the guidance counselor telling Miles the exact way he's supposed to get into college.

You see it all the time across every field. The hospitals telling interns they need to spend 48 hours on call because that's what they did. The production assistant being told they have to shut up and eat the poo poo because that's how the system works.

It's a reinforcement of institutional abuse that propagates itself because the people who initially suffered it won't admit there might have been a healthier way to go about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I think this whole canon event stuff is basically the dark flip side to the quite common trope that you have to accept bad events because our scars define us and ultimately make us into better people. You just need to look at the Flash to see an example of a movie seemingly intent on playing that trope straight.

The point being that while it is a positive thing to take a tragedy and find what good it leads to, the fact that this incident was important to your story doesn't mean you have the right to write other people's stories in your own image, and erase people's agency in their own lives.

At least that's what I read in it.

The fact that Miles was originally "always an anomaly" doesn't free him, it means simply that Miguel is going to have to work extra hard to pound that square peg into the round hole.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jun 12, 2023

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

FlamingLiberal posted:

To me it’s pretty clear that Spider-Man 2099 is not a reliable source for any of this

Sefer posted:

Can someone remind me if Miguel actually has a reason to believe the universe he moved to unraveled because he was disrupting canon? It seems like he just immediately assumed "oh, the universe I was happy in died, must be because I was too happy."
We're definitely going to get a proper flashback to that and there's definitely going to be more to it

Splint Chesthair posted:

Which is extra-weird because Miguel insists Miles was never supposed to be Spider-Man. So why does he also insist Miles needs to have a canon event? Does he need it to make him more Spider-Manny?

He was never supposed to be Spider-Man, but he is now so he's in it

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Sefer posted:

Something I only really noticed on a second viewing: Miguel's theme music is incredibly close to the Prowler's.

Can someone remind me if Miguel actually has a reason to believe the universe he moved to unraveled because he was disrupting canon? It seems like he just immediately assumed "oh, the universe I was happy in died, must be because I was too happy."

As others have said, Miguel is probably a tremendously unreliable narrator and just made assumptions based on his personal experiences. Obviously they could change things, but from what I recall about the original 2099 run, Miguel’s life doesn’t exactly mirror Peter’s, and even Miles comments “Are you sure you’re really a Spider-Man?” when he sees/hears all the crazy stuff Miguel can do that other Spiders can’t.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the third film reveals that Miguel is more a big fanboy of the original Peter from his timeline and that he created the idea of canon events after to make it seem like he fits more into the Spider-man mold than he actually does.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Yeah there has to be something else going on here

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

because, while that Miles wasn't supposed to be Spider-Man he is now which means he has to play by the rules everyone else does.

Which gets to the other theme of the movie. People telling the younger generation that how it happened to them is how its supposed to happen like the guidance counselor telling Miles the exact way he's supposed to get into college.

You see it all the time across every field. The hospitals telling interns they need to spend 48 hours on call because that's what they did. The production assistant being told they have to shut up and eat the poo poo because that's how the system works.

It's a reinforcement of institutional abuse that propagates itself because the people who initially suffered it won't admit there might have been a healthier way to go about it

Similar to this is the rule-breaking. Miles is told in that counselor scene you can't have your cake and eat it, too. He flippantly says just get two cakes, which becomes a literal joke later but is actually what he's going to do in the third film. Or the rule about not telling your loved ones your secret identity. It turns out that's the thing that actually saves Gwen's dad. Hobie Brown is the key to saving the day and he doesn't follow the rules, not even his own.

You want a story with a young Spider-Man? It's not just an age number or whether he's in high school, it's the themes and attitudes of the movie and this movie is as teenaged as it can be. gently caress the rules, screw tradition, colour outside the lines, and the olds can't be relied on to save the future.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
The Movie is explicitly telling you that adherence to canon is bullshit. Like if you try and you fail, then poo poo happens, and you grow and learn from it, but you don't let let bad poo poo happen without trying to stop it, just because "it's supposed to"

Also Miguel is probably just evil, lol and is benefiting somehow from the misery and pain of the other spiders.

Like he was clearly doing inheritor poo poo with that vampire thing.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Sharkopath posted:

Yeah spiderverse got bumped from most imax but it's still playing at the theaters. It's only the 2nd week.

Oh if you're ordering tickets a whole week in advance, some theaters like AMC only have their full showtime list posted midweek, that might be it.

Yeah I checked again and there's still some showings this week now. Even if I can't get my friends this time around, I'm going in for another rewatch!

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
The argument against Miguel just being a flat-out unreliable crazy person narrator would be that, well, apparently "canon events" are in fact real, mappable, measurable phenomena of the universe that you can objectively predict with machines somehow. So...something is happening. Police captain deaths have some sort of empirically-observable effect on the physics of reality, somehow.

...Either that, or Lyla's some sort of evil mastermind who's been bamboozling everyone all along?

I mean, despite saying that I'd like for all this to be revealed as bullshit, I do also think that revealing all of this as bullshit might be a really unsatisfying way to resolve the conundrum they set up. After all this, I don't really think we can just walk back on everything by declaring that, haha just kidding, Miguel was just a stupid dumb person who was wrong about everything.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

No, Miguel is not evil.

As to my guess what happens is that Miles' dad is saved and this does start to cause the multiverse to collapse. But they then talk to Spot and get him to help save everyone.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I think what's going to happen is that Miguel and his crew are going to be the ones responsible for putting Miles' dad in danger in like a timeloop way, i.e. the people who supposedly know the story of Spider-Man the best and trying to keep things a certain way are actually making things worse!

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Lobok posted:

Similar to this is the rule-breaking. Miles is told in that counselor scene you can't have your cake and eat it, too. He flippantly says just get two cakes, which becomes a literal joke later but is actually what he's going to do in the third film. Or the rule about not telling your loved ones your secret identity. It turns out that's the thing that actually saves Gwen's dad. Hobie Brown is the key to saving the day and he doesn't follow the rules, not even his own.

The scene writes itself too. Miguel has him pinned and says something like that, Miles says "make two cakes", and Prowler Miles comes out and tackles Miguel.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Vandar posted:

Luna Snow? Really?

Have they actually used her somewhere outside of Future Fight?

Now the current update is that Jennie's agency denied there was ever such an offer, but an "Insider" for Marvel shared that Marvel and Jennie's agency had been in discussions for over a year about casting her, but it ultimately fell through.

So yeah, while all that is (surprise!) baseless bullshit, people seem pretty drat sure that there is an Agents of Atlas project that is being worked on at Marvel, potentially another Disney+ series. I guess if there are concrete plans for such a project, we'll find out in the next couple months.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Opopanax posted:

The scene writes itself too. Miguel has him pinned and says something like that, Miles says "make two cakes", and Prowler Miles comes out and tackles Miguel.

Speaking of callbacks, I can't believe miles didn't say Hey when he zapped Miguel off the train

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

site posted:

Speaking of callbacks, I can't believe miles didn't say Hey when he zapped Miguel off the train

Probably a huge temptation to do it again but Nah, I'ma Do My Own Thing was an instant classic.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Arist posted:

Gotta admit, while I have seen some occasional grousing I'm rather pleasantly surprised the fanbase has so willingly bought into the idea that most Spider-people, fan favorites like the Spectacular and Insomniac Spideys included, would side with Miguel. If the movie was even a little bit less stellar overall there'd probably be a massive firestorm about that.

It's fine, each one is from an alternate universe immediately adjacent to the fan favorite universe, with the only difference being that this universe's Spider-Man is willing to entertain Miguel's idea.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Peter is book smart but he doesn't always have those day-to-day common sense smarts. Arguably the greatest Spider-Man story of all time kicks off because he didn't see a problem with donating his radioactive mutated blood to Aunt May.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Dude thought walking into an alien costume machine was going to end well

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
On this note the only other critique I have is that unfortunately Peter B. came off pretty badly in this film. I don't care about literally every other of the million Spider-Mans being "portrayed wrong," what with them unthinkingly choosing to let Miles' dad die, but it's a very bad look for Peter B in particular. The only way you kind of accept it is if he thinks Miles' whole universe will...might?...get wiped if it doesn't happen, which kind of explains why they even made those stakes so large in the first place, even though -- again -- those stakes being so large do stretch sense and credulity a bit. *shrug*

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Lobok posted:

Peter is book smart but he doesn't always have those day-to-day common sense smarts. Arguably the greatest Spider-Man story of all time kicks off because he didn't see a problem with donating his radioactive mutated blood to Aunt May.

Which story is this?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

personally i trust the angry vampire freak with a god complex

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

I do love how casually they drop that Miguel is a “vampire” and nobody bats an eye or requires elaboration. Red eyes, hangs out in the dark, big fangs and almost bites Vulture, very nice moving on.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Vandar posted:

Which story is this?

Master Planner Saga, which includes If This Be My Destiny!, i.e. the one that features the famous scene of him lifting the immense machinery off of himself. He's trying to find and then get a special cure to Aunt May for a sickness he caused with a blood transfusion in an earlier storyline.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

BrianWilly posted:

On this note the only other critique I have is that unfortunately Peter B. came off pretty badly in this film. I don't care about literally every other of the million Spider-Mans being "portrayed wrong," what with them unthinkingly choosing to let Miles' dad die, but it's a very bad look for Peter B in particular. The only way you kind of accept it is if he thinks Miles' whole universe will...might?...get wiped if it doesn't happen, which kind of explains why they even made those stakes so large in the first place, even though -- again -- those stakes being so large do stretch sense and credulity a bit. *shrug*

It's very blink and you'll miss it But in Miguel's flashback that shows his adopted universe getting wiped out, Peter B is with him so he at least has some motivation for going along with it

KurdtLives
Dec 22, 2004

Ladies and She-Hulks can't resist Murdock's Big Hallway Energy
Across The Spider-Verse was loving great, I agree with the above posts that the 3rd one will allow for full judgement of Miguel O'Hara's rigid canon event dogma

My raving about how wonderful it was has motivated a couple of friends to check out the first one and then see this so yay me.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

This is a great post

HellOnEarth
Nov 7, 2005

Now that's good jerky!

eke out posted:

personally i trust the angry vampire freak with a god complex

:hai:

I can only assume Spider-people choose their leader based on who is the tallest and saddest.

TBH as a 2099 Comics Enjoyer, I hope he’s a little more chill in the sequel. Miguel is an absolute dumbass loser in the comic, let’s see that side of him.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Sanschel posted:

I do love how casually they drop that Miguel is a “vampire” and nobody bats an eye or requires elaboration. Red eyes, hangs out in the dark, big fangs and almost bites Vulture, very nice moving on.

There's a cat Spider-Man, so a vampire isn't really much of a stretch and definitely more benign

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

2099 is vampirish, yeah. His spider powers manifested as a more feral version, with talons and fangs and venom. So he did do the classic fangs-in-the-neck to enemies, but not to suck blood. It was a spider bite. The movie lengthened his cape so there's also that for making a stronger comparison.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Marvel just announced a ton of changes, some of them seem to confirm previous rumors about adding longer delays between movies and treating the TV show and movies as similar products that won't be released around the same time anymore.

- Both Avengers movies delayed by a full year (to May 1st, 2026 and May 7, 2027).

- Bucking the trend, Deadpool 3 has been moved up 6 months to May 3, 2024.

- "Captain America: New World Order" has been renamed "Captain America: Brave New World" to disassociate itself with anti-Semitic and white supremacist conspiracy theories about "the New World Order" where Jews secretly control the world to harm white people.

- Captain America: Brave New World has been delayed by 3 months to July 26th, 2024.

-Thunderbolts and Blade have both been delayed 5 months because they opted to cancel scheduled production due to the Writer's Strike rather than continue production with no re-writes or hiring scabs.

- Fantastic 4 has been delayed by 3 months.

All of the TV shows have still had their release dates removed with no updates, except for Secret Wars, which starts on June 21st.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/disney-moves-avatar-star-wars-avengers-1235514145/

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

So the only thing we’re definitely getting this year TV wise is Secret Invasion then

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

FlamingLiberal posted:

So the only thing we’re definitely getting this year TV wise is Secret Invasion then

Loki season 2 was delayed from July, but is still expected to premiere in October.

Echo will release on November 29th this year.

Nothing else will be released this year.

Every other show has had its original release date wiped, so not clear how long they will delayed.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Majors really hosed Disney up

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Mr Hootington posted:

Majors really hosed Disney up

Oh, this is probably way more to do with the WGA and possible SAG-AFTRA strikes than Majors, sadly. With a dash of the recent underwhelming response to a number of the MCU projects.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Only one movie in like 360 days is quite the change of pace.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
The worst news is that the universally loved, respected and admired franchise Avatar is also delayed. How will humanity survive the delay of the one thing keeping us together?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Joe Fisto posted:

The worst news is that the universally loved, respected and admired franchise Avatar is also delayed. How will humanity survive the delay of the one thing keeping us together?

Announcing a 2031 movie release date in 2023 is pretty wild.

James Cameron is going to be 77 when it releases.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Announcing a 2031 movie release date in 2023 is pretty wild.

James Cameron is going to be 77 when it releases.

God will keep him alive and well because of how important Avatar is.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
He'll build twenty new cameras by then.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Joe Fisto posted:

God will keep him alive and well because of how important Avatar is.

I'm sure he will be fine. I just think it is wild that it was announced in 2010 and will be released 21 years later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Gaz-L posted:

Oh, this is probably way more to do with the WGA and possible SAG-AFTRA strikes than Majors, sadly. With a dash of the recent underwhelming response to a number of the MCU projects.

I'm sure Loki 2 is a bit of both. Majors will be a big part of that and the writers are striking so they can do rewrites to cut him out if they get rid of him.