Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Parrying lynels is fun, but is there actually a point given how brief the stun is? Does parrying preserve shield durability?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

BearDrivingTruck posted:

I know there's not too much point to it, but I want to catch a wild horse with a 4/4/5 stat spread so I can have a head start on maxing it. It sounds like Zokassa Ridge is a good place but I've been having no luck. Is there an optimal place for good horses?

One of the hints Malanya will give you is that solid-colored horses tend to be wilder but have better stats. I caught one with a great stat spread besides the towing stat I believe up at the Akkala wilds northeast of Skull Island. The upgrading at Malanya also doesn't require you to have the horse with you, so you can board one and then book it there to cook meals in the nearby pot to jump up the stats, but you'll probably need to make endura carrot cake for the higher tier ones. Satori trees always have at least one endura carrot around, and the one on Satori Mountain has 3 or 4.

No Wave posted:

Parrying lynels is fun, but is there actually a point given how brief the stun is? Does parrying preserve shield durability?

You have just enough time to nock an arrow and shoot it in the face, with a multishot bow and gibdo bones you can get a free stun/mount after a parry. I find it easy to parry their running weapon attacks, but once they're stood still its easier to backflip the one handed sword attack or sidehop the 2H weapon attacks.

Dictator.
May 13, 2007

#Blessed

just transfer your ganon horse from botw, best stats.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

No Wave posted:

I believe this is the case. I'm basing that off of being able to parry Guardian lasers with a pot lid in BotW.

Speaking of, I can't believe there wasn't a single Guardian in TotK. How loving cool and panic-inducing would it have been to randomly come across a Guardian in the Depths or something.

I get that there's no Malice to control them anymore but poo poo just have a malfunctioning one or a gloom Guardian or something.

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Carrot cake can be made with swift carrots and they work just fine

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Puffshrooms really are way op. I don't think I took more than a hit or two in the Lynel coliseum. Puffshroom (usually took a couple as they seem to go through a couple attack patterns regardless, until they stop for a second and lose focus), run around back, wail on them while they just stand there confused. It really feels like something they might adjust in a future patch.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

No Wave posted:

Seems to. I broke like six shields in one Lynel fight before remembering how to parry and then broke none in my next three. Granted the first one was Silver-maned, but one of the next three was at least White.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Yeah, I think they kept in parry durability. At least, I've parried stuff with an almost-broken shield without it breaking, and I don't know why they'd remove that mechanic.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
so did they just forget to give the set bonus to the Time, Twilight, Wind and Wild sets or is there a reason that they're the only classic looks without one?

Wild kinda makes sense since it has higher defense, but the other three just seem weird

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Poque posted:

so did they just forget to give the set bonus to the Time, Twilight, Wind and Wild sets or is there a reason that they're the only classic looks without one?

Wild kinda makes sense since it has higher defense, but the other three just seem weird

The first one I upgraded was Time, and I'm pretty sure the second one was Wind, and both of those gave me the set bonus.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

bawk posted:

The first one I upgraded was Time, and I'm pretty sure the second one was Wind, and both of those gave me the set bonus.

oh that's a relief. Google doc must be wrong.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I can say with 100% certainty that Time will give you the little bonus, I'll check the other set tonight. I did two just to see if they were different and they didn't seem to be any different in defense or bonus, so it's very much a pick-your-poison deal. I'm surprised the Wild set doesn't have something different considering how much more effort it takes to level up

E: it looks like Wild set does have the same bonus. Some sources online seem wrong, because I also know the Tingle Set has a set bonus night speed up but that doesn't show up if you check Polygon's list of bonuses. I would assume anything that involves a green Tunic gives the same bonus, but the Wild set differs on defense, which is 84 defense instead of 60. At that point, what can even hurt you?

bawk fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jun 12, 2023

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
Even though it does mess with durability,I flurry rush lynels sometimes if my weapons get a buff from it. Seems like the game promotes flurry rushes more.

flurry rushing ganon with with silver lynel horn really made it easier

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Zonai weapons only give bonuses to the power consumption of devices, there’s no extra effect to attaching them construct horns or flux cores, right?

Does fusing zonai charges to gear and arrows do anything fun? Fusing batteries seems to be a waste.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Dr Christmas posted:

Zonai weapons only give bonuses to the power consumption of devices, there’s no extra effect to attaching them construct horns or flux cores, right?

Does fusing zonai charges to gear and arrows do anything fun? Fusing batteries seems to be a waste.

Zonaite shields give a bonus to battery consumption of an attached device.
Zonaite weapons get an additional +10 damage by being attached to a device, construct horn, or flex construct core.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

A double attack up mighty zonaite longsword with a Captain 4 Horn on it looks badass as hell and is definitely tied for favorite weapon in the game. Right behind it is the Fierce Deity sword with the same part. It just looks cool! Honorable mentions to Gloom Spear plus Silver Lizalfos Horn, Gloom Club with Black Hinox Horn, and Opal Staff. I wish Opal weapons were more powerful or useful besides cleaning up muck and setting up enemies for lightning attacks

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

My main upset is silver bokoblin horns look so stupid when theyre going to be one of my most used components.

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

No Wave posted:

My main upset is silver bokoblin horns look so stupid when theyre going to be one of my most used components.

Silver lizalfos horns make up for the silver bokoblin horns, easily. It's such a good anime look with the black and red scythe

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

AmbientParadox posted:

Silver lizalfos horns make up for the silver bokoblin horns, easily. It's such a good anime look with the black and red scythe

Spears dont turn into scythes though

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

AmbientParadox posted:

Yeah but then you poke them with the blunt edge

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Silver bokoblins are literally the reddit logo..

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Finished Fire Temple the normal way and honestly it's not too bad. It's actually pretty linear and will put you right back at the boss door if you follow the intended path all the way through.

Yunobo: he can jump off big rear end ramps, go up walls like Sonic, and we made our vow via fist bump he is now My Boy.

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,
incineratin' and renegade 'em
I'm here to make anybody who
want it with the pen afraid
But don't nobody want it but
they're gonna get it anyway!

bawk posted:

A double attack up mighty zonaite longsword with a Captain 4 Horn on it looks badass as hell and is definitely tied for favorite weapon in the game. Right behind it is the Fierce Deity sword with the same part. It just looks cool! Honorable mentions to Gloom Spear plus Silver Lizalfos Horn, Gloom Club with Black Hinox Horn, and Opal Staff. I wish Opal weapons were more powerful or useful besides cleaning up muck and setting up enemies for lightning attacks

I had better options to fuse to the Master Sword for the final battle, but I went with Captain 4 horn because it looks so drat cool.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

I’ve found the most overpowered combat Zonai auto build creation -

It is the super spring. If you don’t find the schematic, you can make one yourself. It’s a stake with 3 springs. It launches you really really high and if you have a bow equipped you are now Neo from the Matrix.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

space uncle posted:

It is the super spring. If you don’t find the schematic, you can make one yourself. It’s a stake with 3 springs. It launches you really really high and if you have a bow equipped you are now Neo from the Matrix.

Super spring is definitely one of my most used autobuilds

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

space uncle posted:

...huh. I wonder if springs work any better when attached to a stake vs. Not attached to a stake since they're locked in place and can't bounce or move when they fire.

I wish there was a wall with a grid on it so I could measure poo poo like this, I might just make my own with the 70 stakes I've got laying around.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

bawk posted:

...huh. I wonder if springs work any better when attached to a stake vs. Not attached to a stake since they're locked in place and can't bounce or move when they fire.

I wish there was a wall with a grid on it so I could measure poo poo like this, I might just make my own with the 70 stakes I've got laying around.

The minimap has coordinates

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

bawk posted:

It just makes it easier to balance them on uneven ground. You can also angle them however you want if you don’t want to go straight up

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
disproportionately mad at every video that shows people activating zonai devices with precious rare arrows when you can just yeet apples at them instead

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

bawk posted:

I’m not sure about height but yeah it’s nice that they don’t bounce or move if an enemy screws with it, or if you’re not on level ground. You can also use the tower of springs to hide behind but that applies to all constructions really.

The big stuff still shouts it away eventually but I think maybe they draw less aggro because it’s just a spring.

Extremely extremely useful for Gleeoks.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

Poque posted:

disproportionately mad at every video that shows people activating zonai devices with precious rare arrows when you can just yeet apples at them instead

I have a ton more arrows than apples. :colbert:

And I pick them up afterwards! Usually! I usually care about littering!

I went back to play a bit of BotW though and I'm rapidly running out of arrows, was that game really so much stingier than TotK?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

bawk posted:

You can use your Z axis to track travel distance, third number below the minimap.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Vanadium posted:

I went back to play a bit of BotW though and I'm rapidly running out of arrows, was that game really so much stingier than TotK?

Yeah, it didn't have boxes full of arrows everywhere. Fewer chests with arrows in them too, I'm pretty sure.

For me in BotW, a lot of arrows was anything over 70. Right now in TotK, I have around 350.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Totk doesn't have shops stop selling arrows at 100

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
Once you got lynel fusions going and keese eyes, gleeoks are trivial lol. Totk really does the same as botw where it meets the player where they are skill wise. If enemies are tough you have plenty of room to get more hearts, bananas galore for attack or ironshroom for defense. Slowly build up armor for extra protection.

For laughs from my kid I did eat a pizza during ganon because link needs to enjoy the hateno cuisine during these dark times.

Maybe hold on to a radish or so for the garden.

You don’t have to min max it and get to ganon with the bare min. It’s ok to take your time.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Yeah I think the Gleeoks are a bizarre enemy design. Trivial if you know to use eyes, profoundly difficult otherwise. Almost demands you use some gimmick to fight them, unless I'm missing something.

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,
incineratin' and renegade 'em
I'm here to make anybody who
want it with the pen afraid
But don't nobody want it but
they're gonna get it anyway!

Vanadium posted:

I'm finding arrows much harder to come by than BotW, but I think that comes down to playstyle. I always stopped at stables to buy more in BotW, but I can't stop at stables if I'm spending an hour in the depths.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

I did the geoglyph quest after doing only the Rito dungeon and I didn't realize until just now how much it irritates me that it fucks up the plot. Literally every motherfucker is acting like I don't already know what happened to Zelda. I'm not looking for her any more. I've seen her! I also know there's an Evil Zelda. Dorephan you literally got Shadow Mario'd bro

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I can live with that. The weirder part to me is the four identical cutscenes after each temple. wtf why. secret stones? demon king?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

Agreed, there should be an I Know Dude button