Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Mauser posted:

ok how hot does it actually get in the UK? I'm not even in the actual South in the US, but it's easily 95+F some weeks in the summer here and I'll go out for long bike rides or rollerblading. That's really the best weather for sitting outside in the shade and drinking a beer though
Not the best weather for being inside buildings with no air conditioning though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Not the best weather for being inside buildings with no air conditioning though.

I did it for a number of years, but yeah it's not ideal and not easy/possible for older folks.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

When you're in an area that's been brutally hot for decades/centuries, the architecture is built accordingly. When you're in an area where the architecture is designed for being cold and damp, the buildings are likely to be cruel in heat. See also all the deaths in Chicago during heat waves.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

zoux posted:

The all time record is 104 F, which is like what we have for 60 straight days where I live.

I’ve been out and about at 115 with 100% humidity on plenty of occasions. I don’t recommend it but the British likely wouldn’t last long. Though neither would we without central air.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
Not to mention your body gets used to the temperature.

Ive done a bunch of parades like that and even when youre climatized, throwing on 10 pounds of heavy fabric that doesnt breathe and being expected to stand perfectly still its real poo poo.

If you lock your knees during a parade, youre going to faint, otherwise, it downgrades to a you can faint.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

If an englishman understood the Fahrenheit scale he would die instantly, that's why they have to disguise "hot" as low temps.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

Arsenic Lupin posted:

When you're in an area that's been brutally hot for decades/centuries, the architecture is built accordingly. When you're in an area where the architecture is designed for being cold and damp, the buildings are likely to be cruel in heat. See also all the deaths in Chicago during heat waves.

That sounds right because I live in a big brick rowhome that's lower level inside temperature stays pretty much the same all summer, topping out at like 82° with no AC and I think the vertical part of the house helps funnel air upwards and out the skylight vents.

I'm guessing colder climate buildings would just trap all that heat somehow rather than venting it? A huge building would also have to be increasingly hellish inside the higher up you go

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/lindayacc/status/1668300598528339968

ahahaahah

To help us in that mission, we're making it so only the most degenerative freaks on here can DM you out of nowhere

https://twitter.com/TitterDaily/status/1668039817081372678

https://twitter.com/MikeDrucker/status/1668305667902386196

zoux has a new favorite as of 18:18 on Jun 12, 2023

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

In fairness that does not suggest the british are able to deal with it either.

Such as how people still dress like that.

Mauser posted:

ok how hot does it actually get in the UK? I'm not even in the actual South in the US, but it's easily 95+F some weeks in the summer here and I'll go out for long bike rides or rollerblading. That's really the best weather for sitting outside in the shade and drinking a beer though

Last year I think we got up to 40C in some places for a while. And yeah there is zero provision for dealing with it, everything is built to keep the cold and rain out and the heat in. Also the housing stock is garbage so there is often abysmal ventilation.

OwlFancier has a new favorite as of 18:22 on Jun 12, 2023

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009

I know it’s (rightly) unfashionable to give Musk any credit, but isn’t his premise essentially right here? Before long not only is the internet going to be majority AI-generated content, but we won’t have a reliable method to determine the provenance of that content. The internet is on a fast track to become much shittier than it already is.

That said, I don’t endorse the idea that the best way to solve that issue is to require payment. In fact that’s probably one of the shittiest solutions.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/MovieKessler/status/1668307451974758421

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
On deep introspection I'm now wondering if the wrong person should be right.

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK
The best way to get rid of bots on your website is to boost them in the algorithm while making sure you get a cut of whatever scam they're pulling.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hardcordion posted:

The best way to get rid of bots on your website is to boost them in the algorithm while making sure you get a cut of whatever scam they're pulling.

Yeah it reads more to me that he's trying to monetize bots instead of get rid of them

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
https://twitter.com/MishimaKitan/status/1666771301011435520
https://twitter.com/MishimaKitan/status/1667064140010258432

https://twitter.com/SmoothDunk/status/1667804186111614979?cxt=HHwWhoC9wcTEnaUuAAAA
https://twitter.com/SmoothDunk/status/1667817266593816576

https://twitter.com/mattxiv/status/1666958363551203330?cxt=HHwWhICwrZfznKIuAAAA

darkwasthenight posted:

It's not just the hats. Don't lock ya knees!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Alo0VaZkI4

I somehow forget this every year when we go to our local nerd convention... :ohdear:

Read After Burning has a new favorite as of 18:55 on Jun 12, 2023

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Thank god climates don't change! Otherwise those brits would look mighty foolish

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Subtext is an anagram of butt sex!

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Pookah posted:

When I was a kid, the lead-up to Hallowe'en in my town always involved a lot of daring nighttime raids by different groups of kids on each others bonfire materials. Like, you'd be fording a little river with your friends at 9pm to steal some pallets off of a rival bonfire :allears:
We did trick or treating too, but it was back in the bad old days when there was a strong chance of being given an apple, or ever worse monkey nuts.

was this in glasgow because someone was telling a story about this and I was wondering who it was and where

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

Hardcordion posted:

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

https://twitter.com/bouzingot/status/1667919968082567175

https://twitter.com/lolennui/status/1668024534157631489

Ror has a new favorite as of 19:54 on Jun 12, 2023

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Americans talk a big game about the heat but if power went out in Florida in the middle of July poo poo would get very dire very fast.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Engi, soldier, heavy, scout

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

wash bucket posted:

Americans talk a big game about the heat but if power went out in Florida in the middle of July poo poo would get very dire very fast.

Power goes out in Florida in July/August all the time. It’s called hurricane season.

All the retirement homes/hospitals typically have generators or get bussed to places with AC.

But the average people without generators just suffer through it. Lots of folks grilling out all the rapidly thawing poo poo in their freezers and drinking beer and getting sunburnt on the 100 degree heat.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
https://twitter.com/chaiconsumer/status/1668137988956782592?t=6W3luFOuzdTZLxdaKoX2Rw&s=19

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

space uncle posted:

Power goes out in Florida in July/August all the time. It’s called hurricane season.

All the retirement homes/hospitals typically have generators or get bussed to places with AC.

But the average people without generators just suffer through it. Lots of folks grilling out all the rapidly thawing poo poo in their freezers and drinking beer and getting sunburnt on the 100 degree heat.

Fair point but I feel like hurricane recovery counts as dire.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
most of the time when americans talk about how hot it is i scoff in qlder but tbh florida and the rest of the coastal south seems hosed even to me a dude who only ever owns one set of jeans at a time. my closed in shoes to thongs (flip flops) ratio is at best 1:5 at any given moment but im not sure i could handle it

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
It's fun to make fun of heat waves of 85 degrees F but there's such a thing as heat acclimatization which means sudden heat waves are deadly whether your baseline is 70 or 90, but it requires being sudden.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

space uncle posted:

Not really. State's been pretty lucky with that for the last 7-8 years.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

I wish this was a good idea but it isn’t. See the chicken’s head poking straight through the bars no problem? That isn’t exactly safe from predators, which seems to be the only selling point they were going for, because why else would you need this. Also the chooks wouldn’t be able to scratch correctly, which they need to do, and I fear they could snag a claw in the cage and get it stuck. As a matter of fact the recommended covering for chicken runs is not chicken wire, which has much smaller openings than this ball, because predators like raccoons can tear your birds apart piece by piece to pull them through chicken wire holes. I have ½” hardware cloth on my chicken run and it is buried in. The only animals that can get in are bugs, and then I free range them when I’m outside with them for safety. I have never had one taken by a predator, but I did once catch a chicken hawk (specifically a Cooper’s hawk) with my bare hands

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Not really. State's been pretty lucky with that for the last 7-8 years.

Texas though....

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~

Is this a fetish thing?

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Olanphonia posted:

Is this a fetish thing?

It is, per the replies, an extremely expensive bay area service that lets you pretend to be in basic training to become a more alpha finance bro.

So yes.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
I think they're filming a train track safety video. Although the participants may not have been aware of it at the time.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
Honestly I was hoping the instructor would be coming on one of those hand-pump railcars and whoever's too slow gets crushed

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Halisnacks posted:

I know it’s (rightly) unfashionable to give Musk any credit, but isn’t his premise essentially right here? Before long not only is the internet going to be majority AI-generated content, but we won’t have a reliable method to determine the provenance of that content. The internet is on a fast track to become much shittier than it already is.

That said, I don’t endorse the idea that the best way to solve that issue is to require payment. In fact that’s probably one of the shittiest solutions.

His "solution" doesn't fix anything at all, it just means bots have to pay 8 bucks to bot.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Air Skwirl posted:

His "solution" doesn't fix anything at all, it just means bots have to pay 8 bucks to bot.

Pay 8 bucks to him specifically, of course.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

wash bucket posted:

Don't they get hurricanes every year that often knock out power for a day or two in like August?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

projecthalaxy posted:

It is, per the replies, an extremely expensive bay area service that lets you pretend to be in basic training to become a more alpha finance bro.

So yes.

I was assuming one of those "go on a basic training course in the woods with all your bros to rediscover your masculinity no homo $4997 no refunds" courses but lmao of course it's "to make you better at finance" because that's the only way you could make it stupider.

Air Skwirl posted:

Don't they get hurricanes every year that often knock out power for a day or two in like August?

hurricane makes it wimdy, so it's basically AC

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Air Skwirl posted:

No, not nearly every year and damage is usually short-lived and contained in a fairly small area. They’re working on other ways to self-destruct, though.

Also they got really, really lucky that the Bahamas took Dorian in the face in 2019, or things would be much different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

I killed a man in Mississippi and he complained more than the man I killed in Kent. I think it would be the same with unexpectedly hot weather but let’s debate it