Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

I MASHED THE KEYS AND LOOK WHAT I MADE

Xaris posted:

we can all return to IRC and AIM like god intended

I was going to brag about having the trillian installer from 2001 but turns out it still exists so I guess everyone back to trillian

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

edit: wait I might be mixing things up.

Ah, ok, it was some other microsoft chat app.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

PawParole posted:

Dumbest loving cyberpunk dystopia.

This is what happens and will continue happening b/c the US does not want to protect its workers from anything.

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe

PawParole posted:

Dumbest loving cyberpunk dystopia.

on one hand this is very sad and depressing, but on the other hand it might get the DPRK internationally deliverable nuclear weapons, so it's impossible to say if it's bad or not

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

StratGoatCom posted:

https://twitter.com/m_d_c_t/status/1668070983498977280

My 'Noise about AI is a red flag for things going to pot in a company' theory continues to get support.

i don't talk about myself that much but i interviewed with them a few years ago and they had zero loving clue at the time what target demographic they were trying to cater to, and at the very least they sure as poo poo didn't seem to care about the gamer types any more. meanwhile no normal person gives a single gently caress about discord because it has a horrific user experience for a multitude of reasons. it was the worst interview experience i ever had.

they'll be dead in a few years whenever the next thing comes along

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Iiiiit's INFRASTRUCTURE WEAK!

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1668307193270087700?t=5PRn4gzLQ1d8XJNTygv1ng&s=19

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison

Can't refloat this boat.

sd6
Jan 14, 2008

This has all been posted before, and it will all be posted again

triple sulk posted:

i don't talk about myself that much but i interviewed with them a few years ago and they had zero loving clue at the time what target demographic they were trying to cater to, and at the very least they sure as poo poo didn't seem to care about the gamer types any more. meanwhile no normal person gives a single gently caress about discord because it has a horrific user experience for a multitude of reasons. it was the worst interview experience i ever had.

they'll be dead in a few years whenever the next thing comes along

Coming from Ventrilo and Mumble, I found Discord's UI insanely confusing. It also had epic gamer memes baked into the UI itself which was cringe as gently caress. I hate that it ever caught on

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
Several months? Lol

China would do it overnight.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

StratGoatCom posted:

https://twitter.com/m_d_c_t/status/1668070983498977280

My 'Noise about AI is a red flag for things going to pot in a company' theory continues to get support.

Just imagining some hiring manager poggin out whenever they see FAANG experience on a resume regardless of context

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Shear Modulus posted:

finally, it's gamefaqs's time to shine

the gamefaqs spinoff luelinks 'eti'

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

sd6 posted:

Coming from Ventrilo and Mumble, I found Discord's UI insanely confusing. It also had epic gamer memes baked into the UI itself which was cringe as gently caress. I hate that it ever caught on

the actual voice chat part works very well but yes all the extraneous meme epic gamer RBG LEDs lighting is horrific

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

i naively thought there's no way this could be real...... incredible........ would love to see the sales figures on this bad boy, anyone buying it deserves to be separated from their $400 (!!!)

https://www.yeti.com/outdoor-living/cookware/22030000049.html

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

sd6 posted:

discovery of servers is loving horrible. the general search is mostly useless because 99.9% of them are gated behind private invites and often just linked via subreddits in the sidebar or as a random post. you can't erase your existence from some servers if they do that lovely welcome bot stuff, and you can't mass delete your messages without a hacky rear end tampermonkey script. it's also awkward to really start joining conversations as a new member and you can feel overwhelmed. that's just to start.

i might be making it up, but at one point i remember kind of trying to assess their priority of existing users for feature building versus new users and i think they were sort of offended that i bothered to care about the existing userbase rather than focus solely on growth

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

:goonsay: also you can only be in one voice channel at a time so you can't get fancy with separate squad/team/centralized command voice channels (unlike mumble iirc)

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

i naively thought there's no way this could be real...... incredible........ would love to see the sales figures on this bad boy, anyone buying it deserves to be separated from their $400 (!!!)

Side note but I swear every time I see one of those "x interest free payments of y" things it's a different company. Will the "go into debt for common household poo poo and food" business be the next bubble?

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Kibbles n Shits posted:

Side note but I swear every time I see one of those "x interest free payments of y" things it's a different company. Will the "go into debt for common household poo poo and food" business be the next bubble?

this has been going in Turkey for decades. its economy is fine.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Kibbles n Shits posted:

Has been for a while

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/08/29/dining/buy-now-pay-later-loans-groceries.html

quote:

Josh Roberts didn’t think twice about taking out a loan to pay for groceries. It was early in the pandemic, and he was making $16.50 an hour working for a technology company in Cincinnati while supporting his sister and her girlfriend.

“We were just not making enough to live,” he said.

So he started buying groceries online using a virtual credit card from Klarna, a “buy now, pay later” service that allowed him to break payments into smaller installments that could be made over several weeks, with no interest.

Soon Mr. Roberts, 30, was regularly spending beyond his means on food — chicken breasts, bananas, chips, cereal. He fell behind on payments, and ended up owing more than $1,000 to Klarna, an estimated $100 of it in late fees. He already had about $11,000 in student debt, and another $2,000 in unpaid medical bills.

“I don’t want to be in debt for a carrot,” he said. “But you have got to do what you’ve got to do.”

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

I have this head canon that Discord was started by bronies on account they called it Discord and I seem to remember the service coming around at the same time the MLP show was super popular and there was a dragon character named Discord people were going apeshit about. No idea if it's true or not but I feel like it'd explain a lot.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

[Doomsday Econonics] I don’t want to be in debt for a carrot, but

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

heirloom skillet

I'm reminded of how Pelotons would not sell at their original price, not high end enough, so you just raise the price of the same product to attract larger stupider fish.

https://www.yahoo.com/video/peloton-ceo-says-sales-increased-raised-prices-2245-exercise-bike-132256225.html

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Discord absolutely needs to die but please kill LinkedIn first I loving hate those psychos.

goth smoking cloves
Feb 28, 2011

triple sulk posted:

discovery of servers is loving horrible. the general search is mostly useless because 99.9% of them are gated behind private invites and often just linked via subreddits in the sidebar or as a random post. you can't erase your existence from some servers if they do that lovely welcome bot stuff, and you can't mass delete your messages without a hacky rear end tampermonkey script. it's also awkward to really start joining conversations as a new member and you can feel overwhelmed. that's just to start.

i might be making it up, but at one point i remember kind of trying to assess their priority of existing users for feature building versus new users and i think they were sort of offended that i bothered to care about the existing userbase rather than focus solely on growth

Who do they think is their target demographic?

I legitimately thought the only non-gaming/not gaming adjacent servers were for drug sourcing or fetish communities

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

yeti is all-clad for REI shoppers. slightly better products for multiple times the price

Shear Modulus has issued a correction as of 21:38 on Jun 12, 2023

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Shear Modulus posted:

yeti is all-clad for REI shoppers. slightly better products for multiple times the price

quote:

All-Clad Metalcrafters, LLC is a U.S. manufacturer of cookware with headquarters in Canonsburg, Pennsylvania.[1]

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

In LA, that wouldn't be too bad actually.

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

What in the world lmfao. That’s just ridiculous, not even all-clad is that bad and with all-clad you can hit up their warehouse sales for deals on damaged packaging and factory seconds.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

everyone wants a yeti cooler. look up how much those cost compared to an igloo

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
For $400, a cast iron skillet better be over 100 years old

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
https://www.cnn.com/2018/04/24/us/yeti-coolers-nra-explode-trnd/index.html

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
ya yeti is for dumb rich lawyer or doctor dads with one too many Harley davdidsons in the driveway and fancies themselves a rugged outdoorsman. way more money than sense

being rei is a good analogy

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
I think I bought a cast iron that size for like 20 bucks

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
the whale economy ftw

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Shear Modulus posted:

yeti is the super duper premium brand for REI shoppers. slightly better products for multiple times the price

I shop at REI a lot and while you do pay a premium on some items, they have an insanely generous return policy and also an annual cash back program that's really good.

Yeti is a dumb brand though.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Xaris posted:

ya yeti is for dumb rich lawyer or doctor dads with one too many Harley davdidsons in the driveway and fancies themselves a rugged outdoorsman. way more money than sense

being rei is a good analogy

i got a bunch of free yeti poo poo from work and its pretty good but absolutely not worth paying for lol

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Consummate Professional posted:

I think I bought a cast iron that size for like 20 bucks

new lodge 12" cast iron skillets are $30 lol

i know a couple people with yetis, i guess they're nice and keep things cold a lot longer than others but i maybe use a cooler 1-2x per year, i'll just stick with my lovely $20 igloo not a $350+++ one

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
You have to hand it to YETI for two things: going super premium pricing in an area with no competitors, then keeping their company going through an incredible pivot after their outsourced cooler manufacturer ran into troubles. Specifically, motorcycle riding uzi wielding assassins. My rough memory of that time is YETI promised tons of products to all the southern stores, then didn't deliver coolers, but instead drink holders for a year or two.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Love the framing on this:

"spending beyond his means on food — chicken breasts, bananas, chips, cereal."

Spendthrift poors buying chicken breasts!

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

2000% markup is standard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

skooma512 posted:

In LA, that wouldn't be too bad actually.

I saw Speed yesterday and it owned