Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
There doesn't seem to be any sort of fusion mechanic in Metaphor, everyone seems to just have a base class. There might be some sort of swap mechanic, or specialization thingy, though.

Given the story dialogue mentions a competition for the most beloved person to be the next king, and the social stats forming a crown, I wonder if there might be more of a focus on social stats than dungeon crawling in the 'main story', as it were. They might be shifting to more of an Atelier thingy, with sub-goals you need to meet but can meet in any way you like as long as it gets met.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Oxxidation posted:

they're referring to rolling back shinji's and chihiro's deaths, which was already kind of tacky

doing the same to the protagonist would definitely be a bridge too far

cock hero flux posted:

by "2 rereleases" I meant "the 2 rereleases that Persona 3 has had so far(FES and P3P)", not "the rereleases of Persona 2"

ohhhh i see yea that makes, more sense

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Junpei posted:

There doesn't seem to be any sort of fusion mechanic in Metaphor, everyone seems to just have a base class. There might be some sort of swap mechanic, or specialization thingy, though.

Given the story dialogue mentions a competition for the most beloved person to be the next king, and the social stats forming a crown, I wonder if there might be more of a focus on social stats than dungeon crawling in the 'main story', as it were. They might be shifting to more of an Atelier thingy, with sub-goals you need to meet but can meet in any way you like as long as it gets met.

The not-personas seem to be called "Archetypes". The room with the big gold statue looks like this game's equivalent of the Velvet Room and there's an option there for "Learn Archetypes" which is presumably where you get new ones by fusion or some other method.
I caught that one of them is called "Soul Hacker".

I feel like this game will basically be Persona 6. I'm sure it will be a good game though I do think it's funny that they were going on for a long time about starting the Studio Zero to make something completely new and doing a lot of research on tabletop RPGs and fantasy novels and such to come up with a new game and by all indications it looks like it's just like their previous game except in a fantasy setting instead of modern day Japan.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
I think he just loves calendars, can't get enough of them.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

maybe hashino just ran out of ideas

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

That opening with real-world footage and "What if the world we live in was their utopia" was that kind of cringe faux-revolutionary edge I remember from those original persona 5 ads that were like "you are a slave, do you want emancipation" lol

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Those ads were kinda rad not gonna lie.

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?

Arist posted:

I like P4 a lot more than P3, but the prospect of a P4 remake is incredibly cursed, and not just because the new wave of Discourse would blot out the loving sun with its dark energy

If P4 ever were remade, it'd be a good opportunity to reinstate Yosuke's coming out plot point and confessing his crush on the main character. Only just read about it recently and think it definitely should have been included.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013

They've now clarified that when they say "no FES content," they only mean The Answer.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

frytechnician posted:

If P4 ever were remade, it'd be a good opportunity to reinstate Yosuke's coming out plot point and confessing his crush on the main character. Only just read about it recently and think it definitely should have been included.
There's no evidence that was actually where they were going with Yosuke's character. The unused confession lines could be anything, there's no indication of where or when they were used. For all we know they're remnants of a female protagonist option, for instance.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
It would have been so much more funnier if it was just vanilla P3 but oh well. Despite my doubts, I really got the itch to play P3 again... It's really such a good game imo

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
P4's story would probably require the most tweaking if it was remade because so many parts of it have aged really poorly. Yet at the same time you'd have purists shouting about how people these days can't take a joke.

(I think you'd just really need to scale back on the Teddie horniness and make Yosuke less terrible, most of the other stuff can just be 'dumb teens being dumb teens'.)

miasmacloud
Oct 10, 2007

(u‿ฺu✿ฺ)

DanielCross posted:

They've now clarified that when they say "no FES content," they only mean The Answer.

To be more specific, the interview says that just because Reload is a remake of the original Persona 3, doesn't mean that stuff added to the main story of FES won't be in Reload. Not quite the same as "Persona 3 Reload is The Journey / Yourself".

https://www.famitsu.com/news/202306/12305877.html

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

With all this arguing about what is and isn't in this remake, one thing I noticed is that the trailer had no animated cutscenes. Almost all of the cutscenes shown were in engine. This might not be something that's important, as for me these cutscenes were the thing that made me curious about this game (a literal "this is just like my japanese animays" moment from 2008), but it was definitely jarring when I noticed that literally every other Atlus game trailer in these shows HAD animated cutscenes, even that P5 tactics game.

Also the game in general looked way too much like P5 except blue, but that might be just me complaining about things being different.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

There's at least one animated scene from the screenshots we've seen.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

DanielCross posted:

That last part kind of gives me the impression that they'll keep the crappy social links from the original game, but let you hang out with the party members now. Which would suck.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Arist posted:

The site posted earlier has the same JP VAs for the three "revealed" characters, so I would assume they're all the same.

As far as I can tell all those VA's are still very much active and readily available to just recast as their respective characters and reprised them as recently as Persona Q2 in 2018. Like a veritable stable of whose who A-listers like Akira Ishida, Maaya Sakamoto, Miyuki Sawashiro, Megumi Ogata, Rie Tanaka etc. Igor's original VA unfortunately died in 2010 so he'll be recast, but other than that I expect everyone to remain the same in the JP dub. The English cast of the OG game were goners from the get go considering how long it's been, how it was like a union dub under 2007 rules when it was those particular VA's time in the anime dubbing scene. As it stands with Funimation all but completely taking over the anime dubbing business it was always going to be their current stable of people taking over for the various roles like Alejandro Saab, Suzie Yeung etc.

Basically JP VA's don't really get rotated out every 10 years or so like with English dub ones. They basically have to die or be involved in a scandal so deep and awful that there's literally no way they can continue to operate in their given roles anymore without severe public backlash. Like as an example, even the Takahiro Sakurai cheating scandal doesn't seem to have shaken him off of being Cloud Strife's Japanese dub VA.

JamMasterJim posted:

Gotcha. I wonder if JP dub will be included initially or as dlc.

This time I think it's gonna be an option one way or another. In 2007 there wasn't really that sort of understanding that fans wanted the option of dual audio in NA versions of games, whereas it's been pretty much standard in JRPG's since part way into the PS3 generation of games.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Speaking of voice over stuff, I feel like I definitely heard Saori Hayami's voice in the Metaphor trailer at 1:04-1:07 and 1:22. If I'm a betting man it sounds like she's gonna be the red haired elf girl named Hulkenberg. Kind of one of those instantly recognizable unique register voices that's easy to pick out in just about any cacophony of stuff. Feel like when they eventually release a cast list for that there's gonna be a lot of recognizable names in general though.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Kale posted:

As far as I can tell all those VA's are still very much active and readily available to just recast as their respective characters and reprised them as recently as Persona Q2 in 2018.

Not that you're wrong about the rest of your post but the English P3 cast reprised their roles as recently as end of 2018 too, for Persona 3 Dancing in Moonlight. (It's also when you can tell Michelle Ruff has a harder time hitting the Yukari range.)

The Persona 4 cast have been out of the game the longest, but even then BBTAG was released in mid-2018.

Kale
May 14, 2010

ApplesandOranges posted:

Not that you're wrong about the rest of your post but the English P3 cast reprised their roles as recently as end of 2018 too, for Persona 3 Dancing in Moonlight. (It's also when you can tell Michelle Ruff has a harder time hitting the Yukari range.)

The Persona 4 cast have been out of the game the longest, but even then BBTAG was released in mid-2018.

Inbetween 2018 and now Sony also bought Funimation and their stable of preferred VA's seems to have turned over a lot and they seem really intent on pushing the careers of some of this current stock of anime/game voice over artists. Some of them do seem to be aging out of their respective roles though, which doesn't seem to happen as much for Japanese VA's other than some of the oldest old ones. Like as one example 2023 Tohru Furuya as Amuro Ray only kind of sounds 60% like 1979 Tohru Furuya as Amuro Ray for example, yet they keep casting him in that role because again fans would riot if they suddenly changed him out unless he expressed personal interest in retiring from the roll. See what happened to Japanese voice artist Yukana Nogami after they recast the Zeta Gundam character Four Murasame's original VA without asking her if she wanted to reprise the role. The public backlash was so brutal that she ended up changing her public stage name to just Yukana and laying low for a couple years until getting cast as the popular character C.C in Code Geass and sort of managing to resurrect her public image as "Yukana" as opposed to "Yukana Nogami.

By contrast I think American fans don't really give as much of a gently caress if certain VA's for characters get replaced or not. They'll express discontent on twitter for a while, but it won't hit scandal tier of reaction I imagine. Like no joke, that Yukana thing I mentioned above, the only reason she managed to pull up career wise is that she voiced a character that was so well-received under her new pseudonym that it effectively allowed her to establish and reboot her image/career under that new sort of identity and effectively start over from there. Japanese fans are particularly unforgiving about this sort of thing in comparison.

Kale fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jun 12, 2023

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Goku still being voiced by an old woman in the JP dub is loving stupid, and I dont even like Dragon Ball.

I recall hearing JP fans lamenting how old the cast sounded in later Lupin III works.

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jun 12, 2023

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Goku still being voiced by an old woman in the JP dub is loving stupid, and I dont even like Dragon Ball.

I recall hearing JP lamenting how old the cast sounded in later Lupin III works.

Granny Goku owns actually.

Kale
May 14, 2010

I recall hearing JP lamenting how old the cast sounded in later Lupin III works.

If nothing else Lupin has a very distinct voice as far as JP anime dubbing goes. As for Masako Nozawa, that role is just hers until she decides to retire or doesn't want it anymore. Goku is definitely sounding a lot more raspy and "grandmotherly" in recent outings compared to the 80's and 90's heyday of Dragon Ball/Z though. The person that does the voice for Krillin/Yajirobe is also pretty ancient at this point, but still pretty much crushing it as Luffy in One Piece even to this day even as she's approaching 70. Kind of have to appreciate Mayumi Tanaka's enthusiasm.

My favorite "not so sure" casting of an ancient VA though has to be hands down Monokuma in the DanganRonpa series of games where they cast Doraemon's voice from the 70's (who has voice over credits dating back to the mid 60's) as the character. She turns 90 this year and was doing that character as recently as the age of 81 I believe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_sA69ovOfU

Like what do you even say, that's kind of epic in it's own way. What a voice :lol:

There was also Kaio (King Kai) VA who was also the voice of the narrator for Dragon Ball since I believe the beginning of the series in the 80's who recently passed away, and I'm also reasonably suspicious may have been going senile by the time he was being asked to do work in Dragon Ball Super. Like not a whole lot of acting or seeming to read for the scenes in a lot of Kaio scenes in Super so much as just kind of showing up to deadpan from a script and get his paycheck, which given his circumstances was probably about what could be mustered. Don't entirely blame the guy.

e: Argh beaten on the edit for the King Kai comment. Yeah it was so noticeable he was just kind of out of it that there was a lot of commentary about it at the time on the internet, and people were being kind of lovely about it.

Kale fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jun 12, 2023

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
Granny Goku's fine, but wheeling out the wheezing dying voice of King Kai was the saddest poo poo ever.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Item Getter posted:

The not-personas seem to be called "Archetypes". The room with the big gold statue looks like this game's equivalent of the Velvet Room and there's an option there for "Learn Archetypes" which is presumably where you get new ones by fusion or some other method.
I caught that one of them is called "Soul Hacker".

I feel like this game will basically be Persona 6. I'm sure it will be a good game though I do think it's funny that they were going on for a long time about starting the Studio Zero to make something completely new and doing a lot of research on tabletop RPGs and fantasy novels and such to come up with a new game and by all indications it looks like it's just like their previous game except in a fantasy setting instead of modern day Japan.

there are almost certainly going to be less Archetypes than there are Personas if only because the Archetypes have very 'class'-y names, like Thief and Knight and so forth.

Heck, if you look at this screenshot:

there's a concrete description of either the Seeker class the protag's rocking, or the Protag in general: "Learns a wide array of versatile skills including Wind magic, single-target healing and attack buffs". Maybe Archetypes will let you add some customization on top of a more specialized skillset ala the Q games, maybe it's more of a Bravely Default thing where you can mix and match Archetypes and play around.

Kale
May 14, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Xx2UIOr8gs

For what's being talked about here with regard to King Kai. Note the peculiar contrast between how worked up it looks King Kai should be based on how he's being animated and the fact that Goku is clearly irritating him and it's supposed to be a antics filled comedic scene and he's just kind of deadpanning the whole thing when it's clearly not calling for deadpan comedy.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I recall hearing JP fans lamenting how old the cast sounded in later Lupin III works.

Yea as much as I love Zenigata's original voice actor, by the end of his time in that role not only did he sound terrible but in the movies they'd find an excuse for Zenigata to be offscreen for most of the runtime (presumably because of his health issues that made it harder to voice the role).

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
At 0:42 in the trailer, there's a skill list but it's under the "Synthesis" option with the "team up" subheader, and in the bottom right both MC and the grey-haired dude, Strohl with the Warrior Archetype are lit up red. There's wind magic and Matarukaja in the options which line up with that description but I'm assuming those are stronger combo attacks like Fusion Spells in Digital Devil Saga, possibly with the stipulation that who leads/starts is important rather than both members being able to activate the same combo.

Then again, this is initiated by the rabbit character Heismay's turn. So who knows?

Also Archetypes have ranks but there doesn't seem to be any character levels.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

the indicators next to each synthesis skill make me think different skills require different amounts of characters to use their turns to use them.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
if you pause the video when the not-Social Links show up, you can see it's segmented into 8 pieces, not 10.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
They won't get them due to P3's awakening system and them seemingly being semi-faithful to the old P3's story, but it's a shame the P3 cast will never get their 3rd-tier Personas like P4/P5's casts did.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

ApplesandOranges posted:

They won't get them due to P3's awakening system and them seemingly being semi-faithful to the old P3's story, but it's a shame the P3 cast will never get their 3rd-tier Personas like P4/P5's casts did.

I can see Atlus adding an extra hangout for everyone in the squad during the final month so that you can hang out and awaken their 3rd tier Personas like P4 and P5 even if the remake itself does not add the social links for some of the squad members. That being said, that would go against the spirit of the original where you were not really friends (at least with the boys) so their awakenings had nothing to do with you as the protagonists and more about themselves and their response to the narrative.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
Maybe they'll just repeat their resolve while you stare blankly at them. It's not like any of the tier 3 persona moments were particularly notable anyway

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Flair posted:

I can see Atlus adding an extra hangout for everyone in the squad during the final month so that you can hang out and awaken their 3rd tier Personas like P4 and P5 even if the remake itself does not add the social links for some of the squad members. That being said, that would go against the spirit of the original where you were not really friends (at least with the boys) so their awakenings had nothing to do with you as the protagonists and more about themselves and their response to the narrative.

Koromaru just barks and stares blankly at you. Aigis translates. "What, you expect me to actually awaken to something more majestic than I already am? Now get me some high quality food and take me for a walk, peon."

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

There's even the 5 non-combat stats to level up this time around, too.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Neeksy posted:

There's even the 5 non-combat stats to level up this time around, too.
So I assume they're going to be gating off some more of the previously existing Links to make raising the "new" stats worthwhile? I suppose Bebe's Link makes sense for Proficiency, maybe Akinari's or Mutatsu's for Kindness?

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Oh sorry, I was thinking about the new Hashino game, it also has the same stat thing

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://twitter.com/kuramekira/status/1503863453852872707

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
Ugh, they should delete Bebe and replace him with anyone else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Everyone I know who's played P3 either loves Bebe or hates him. There is rarely an in between.

(I'm actually kinda mid on him, because he's just someone I hang out with when the party members are busy/unavailable and while I prefer Chariot, he's a little more interesting than Hidetoshi.)