Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Good!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
old rockers know what up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxzzmBoNMMA

I'm tired of trying to be
Something I know ain't me
I'm tired of living up to what
People expect me to be
You know some people are different
Now ain't that a crying shame
Now wouldn't be a real drag if
We were all the same

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

I'm an ally. gently caress them haters.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

The Queer Eye group should come up to Canada and do an episode about me.

They could call it "Queer Eh for the half-gay"

:haw:

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

teen witch posted:

I have never felt more comfortable being anything else than I have felt from being queer. I am, very obviously, a deeply insecure and people pleasing individual, always have been. But - since coming out over a decade ago, my queerness and what its bled into, a small little pocket of who I truly am, feels most like “me”. It is something I hope everyone can feel, and feel safely.

https://youtu.be/tJOcJACFb4g

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

posting is magic

I went to a picnic today with my girlfriend and some other friends and it was good to be able to do that personally instead of pretending to be someone I wasn't

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

There was a two spirits pow wow I should have gone to this weekend.

a lazy ally

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru
As a person of color, am I gay adjacent, can I share pride Month or would that be appropriatung?

Forealsies tho, leaving London to live in Brighton UK for the best part of a decade helped me grow a huge amount. It was the first time I could see the various communities and their tersectionality. I will always be grateful for the headsoace I was able to enjoy by being around those other communities that were fighting fior equality.
So yeah happy pride Month y'all!!

url fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jun 12, 2023

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

went to pride
lost my phone
kissed a girl and i liked it

worth it

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

url posted:

As a person of color, am I gay adjacent, can I share pride Month or would that be appropriatung?

Forealsies tho, leaving London to live in Brighton UK for the best part of a decade helped me grow a huge amount. It was the first time I could see the various communities and their tersectionality. I will always be grateful for the headsoace I was able to enjoy by being around those other communities that were fighting fior equality.
So yeah happy pride Month y'all!!

I don’t know why people get so hung up on this. Being proud for someone is just as important as that person being proud for themselves. So if you’re not celebrating for yourself, celebrate for someone else!

If you don’t know anyone in particular you can still show up and show support in general. Just don’t be weird about it. Proceed like it’s any other parade or celebration. Treat it like a block party. Chat about normal stuff. You’ll make some new friends and probably have a good ol’ time.

If you feel like you need some rules, then here you go: Treat nothing you see as remarkable. Never bring the focus onto you. If you feel the need to call someone brave, please stop for a second and remember that you should not do that. If anyone hits on you all you gotta do is smile and say, “Thank you, but I’m straight,” like it’s no big deal. Maybe score a hug if you’re in to that. Don’t be an awkward nerd about it.

If you see something that sparks your fancy then please, please, please go and ask about it—but, be straight(heh)forward about where you’re coming from and what your interest is. Maybe you’ll learn something about yourself. Maybe you’ll learn something about someone else. Maybe you’ll learn how to tie some cool knots?

Even if you’re living in some west coast liberal hellhole where pride is so banal and corporate that you feel like a tacky rear end poseur for being seen on the block, you can still get your rear end out there and make sure the streets are crowded. It does matter. There are still a whole lot of people living in places where they don’t see that and they need to know they have that support. The only way they’re gonna hear it is if we’re loud enough together.

But please for love of god don’t be weird about it. Don’t be the straight people equivalent of those goons who need advice on how often to shower. That’s real loving weird and it’s not hard to not be that goon.

Go and be real proud of your people too! There’s probably a least a few in the crowd. It’s always great to know your people have your back. Again, just don’t make it weird. Don’t make it about you.

…unless you want to experiment with some novel forms of making out or not making out or something else outside of or adjacent to that spectrum. If you feel it you might as well go for it because ain’t no one gonna judge. Do it. Be proud of it. You can make it a little bit about you then.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

posting is magic

for straight allies: pride is for everyone, you can buy pride merch and festoon yourself with rainbows and donate to gay charities and attend the pride parades and post in threads like this to say that you're glad the alphabet mafia is still running the place, it's all good.

there's some events and spaces that are *for* asexual people or trans people or gay people or whatever, and going there and taking up space is bad. usually any event that is like this will be pretty explicit about it, so if you can read you'll be cool

also some of us don't super appreciate people coming up to us in person to tell us how good an ally they are or otherwise centering themselves especially in things that are nominally for us. if you show up to something like a trans rights protest or are being cool at a party then you're already at maximum ally, you don't need to be formally blessed by a queer as well

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

I'm trans but also a great alley, in that I've been investigated for some horrible crimes that have happened in me. I got weird food tastes.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
¡soy gay!

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

If you're a real good ally, you should become gay or trans in solidarity. That's what I did.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

also some of us don't super appreciate people coming up to us in person to tell us how good an ally they are or otherwise centering themselves especially in things that are nominally for us. if you show up to something like a trans rights protest or are being cool at a party then you're already at maximum ally, you don't need to be formally blessed by a queer as well

this, and it’s applicable to other intersecting struggles and their ally-ships as well.

I will however sell indulgences, buy 10, get 3 free.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

teen witch posted:

this, and it’s applicable to other intersecting struggles and their ally-ships as well.

I will however sell indulgences, buy 10, get 3 free.

That's a drat good deal. Better than a subway card.

feverish and oversexed
Mar 9, 2007

I LOVE the galley!

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

let's see some gbs pride. what's happening for pride where you are? how gay are you really

I'm like, 90% gay, depending on the weather.

I'm in phoenix, I think we do our pride in a different month I never go to the events

teemolover42069
Apr 6, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
yall are gay as hell lol(lots of love)

teemolover42069
Apr 6, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

A Terrible Person posted:

Pages back, but I was responding to someone doing the "straight pride" thing as a part of the usual page 1 thread-making GBS threads. I was also very drunk at the time and didn't express myself very well. I wasn't asking why this thread exists but, rather, how it could exist with that poo poo that you called out being tolerated. I just did so poorly. Apologies for that.

It's not SA related, but I would like to give a call out to the people I fell away from that helped me understand better than anyone else:

Trout, who, in great detail, told me of the abuses he faced for coming out as male. This was in 2000 and he was promptly beaten and thrown down two flights of stairs yet never relented in being himself.

Shaun, my former "girl"friend, who ditched me at prom to instead take Kat, one of the lesbians we hung out with. He didn't begin transitioning until a couple of years after we mostly lost touch, but I am proud of him nonetheless.

Kat herself for being brave enough to be open about her sexuality in a place where such was anathema and could get a person beaten.

Another Cat for being awesome, and also modeling a work-in-progress chainmail bikini top for me as her overprotective transgender boyfriend glared at me. Can't remember his name offhand, but he was cool and his trying to look out for Cat solidified him as awesome in my mind at the time.

Rich and David. They took me and my fiance in when we took a trip to Florida and couldn't make the full drive in one night. We ate Chinese takeout under lantern light on their living room table since their electricity got cut off temporarily. David wore flannel and was a driver for Budweiser. Rich's twin brother was the very textbook picture of "flaming" and leaned way too hard into it. But they were all awesome. The unflushed condoms in the toilet the morning after were a bit much, but there being three of them suggested they had a good night, lol

My niece, Daisy (as in Princess Daisy from Mario Bros.), who started transitioning just two years ago. Led a rough life and is finally finding herself. She was always unique and resilient and I am so, so proud of her finding both her place and her voice and being true to herself. She was always secretly my favorite "nephew," and now she's my most doted on niece.

And many others, although I admit a lot of them were acquaintances and work-related friends since I am not very social. I was absolutely devastated when the local gay bar, Mo'z, shut down. That was one of the few places I liked going out to drink. Hell, I spent an evening as a cute Mexican guy's birthday present there, lol. He was adorable even if we didn't understand eachother, but his cousin translated just fine.

In any case, I would like to request a six hour probation for my previous comment. Just to act as an example. Even if I feel it was a misunderstanding, it's better to start this thread off strong by taking a no-nonsense approach and showing that any sort of poo poo talking in this thread will absolutely not be tolerated during Pride Month. Or anytime, for that matter. Please and thank you

really very cool story, I thought

Mr.Acula posted:

im straight but i am extremely proud that i was born that way

I have always been bummed out that im just straight, i missed out. im just locked out of all these cool fun experiences because my dumb brain only allows me sexual attraction towards one gender. pretty hosed up honestly.

teemolover42069 fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jun 12, 2023

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Have you tried just having fun cool experiences regardless of what box people put you in?

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Kiss boys or girls or NBs. No sex needed to have some fun. Can even play smashbros with the twink down the street.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy

Grey Cat posted:

Kiss boys or girls or NBs. No sex needed to have some fun. Can even play smashbros with the twink down the street.

Melee or ultimate

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

Melee or ultimate

Sorry he only has N64 Smash Bros. but realistically Melee or Ultimate would be more fun.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Out of the closets and into the Final Destination no items Fox only

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Truly the only enjoyable pride brawl

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
This makes sense now. My buddy is a peach main and I have zero fun playing against him :^(

Why are the gays so good at smash a bro. I just wanna use the homerun bat plz

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

--Why are the gays so good at smash a bro. --

I think the answer lies in the title somewhere.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
While young straights were out smooching opposite sex teens, they were at home, mastering the Smash.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

just had the thought that two of the most grounded, responsible, good-hearted people I know are a married pair of ladies. like, they both have those societally necessary but ill-appreciated kind of jobs, and they have their hobbies and get along with each other in an evidently healthy way. they got their own home and have even been raising a reasonably well-adjusted kid, in tyool 2023. they're both younger than I am and seemingly without even trying they've plum lapped me in terms of maturity, and I have nothing but respect for them. I ought to check in with them and see if Pride's treating them as well as I hope it's treating all of you. Thanks for if you bothered to read all of that, and happy Pride

SatansOnion fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jun 12, 2023

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Happy pride to those who have parents who love them unconditionally but still vote in particularly despicable ways :pwn:

Kupo!
Sep 14, 2009

Just follow me through this wall, I can show you things
no mortal eyes were meant
to see.

I went to pride over the weekend. I did not get to kiss any boys, but I did get tested and vaccinated so that was cool

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
How easy is it to get at home HIV testing? Grindr was peddling free at home kits a while back. Is that something kind of easily accessible, the same way Covid tests were from some pharmacies?

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

buglord posted:

Happy pride to those who have parents who love them unconditionally but still vote in particularly despicable ways :pwn:

I will never get this, what do parents like this think is going to happen if their party takes total control over the country? They'll spare their kids for being "the good ones"?

I love my mom but can't stand her politics, the only consolation I have is that she's not "too mean" about it and mostly keeps her regressive views to herself. But I'm like, what does she think her party is going to do to me and my gay uncle, or my gay stepbrother if they take over? I haven't even come out to her because I don't see what I'd even gain, I think her only response would be feigned indifference.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Every year pride happens and I wonder if I should like, come out, as a bi man. But I'm in a cishet marriage and honestly who cares, so I don't. But then yesterday I was at a queer zine workshop so I made a coming out zine.

Which feels like an incredibly cliche thing to do, but hey. Happy pride.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

posting is magic

Awkward Davies posted:

Every year pride happens and I wonder if I should like, come out, as a bi man. But I'm in a cishet marriage and honestly who cares, so I don't. But then yesterday I was at a queer zine workshop so I made a coming out zine.

Which feels like an incredibly cliche thing to do, but hey. Happy pride.

heh zine workshops are how we get ya

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Saw a quote like 20 years ago that stuck with me, went something like, "The trouble with being a gay kid is that you're born into a straight family." and while this isn't strictly speaking true 100% of the time it's broadly the case. I got super lucky, my parents kick rear end and love me very much and already didn't vote for the team that wants to put me & my loved ones into camps. Most of my friends were not so lucky; I still talk to some people who I met when I was first coming to grips with myself, and their parents sent them to gay camps and whatnot. One got prescribed a bunch of meds that he did not need which hosed him up in a way that continues to this day.

Being a teenager is hard enough without that poo poo, I hate that kids have to go through that.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

King Vidiot posted:

I will never get this, what do parents like this think is going to happen if their party takes total control over the country? They'll spare their kids for being "the good ones"?

I love my mom but can't stand her politics, the only consolation I have is that she's not "too mean" about it and mostly keeps her regressive views to herself. But I'm like, what does she think her party is going to do to me and my gay uncle, or my gay stepbrother if they take over? I haven't even come out to her because I don't see what I'd even gain, I think her only response would be feigned indifference.

yeah it’s maddening. I have 100% support from my parents and they say things like “I want you to have the opportunity and quality of life that everyone else has.” But then they can’t abandon their party because of issues like abortion and the existence of BLM which must be resisted. Or that how teaching kids that it’s okay to be gay might undo 300,000 years of genetic predisposition to procreation of this species and confuse them. Us being in California means that their votes are a lot less impactful than say, Georgia. but Christ Alive between that and the “it can’t happen here” attitude it’s just…a whole lot.

In short, im gay.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

posting is magic

aniviron posted:

Saw a quote like 20 years ago that stuck with me, went something like, "The trouble with being a gay kid is that you're born into a straight family." and while this isn't strictly speaking true 100% of the time it's broadly the case. I got super lucky, my parents kick rear end and love me very much and already didn't vote for the team that wants to put me & my loved ones into camps. Most of my friends were not so lucky; I still talk to some people who I met when I was first coming to grips with myself, and their parents sent them to gay camps and whatnot. One got prescribed a bunch of meds that he did not need which hosed him up in a way that continues to this day.

Being a teenager is hard enough without that poo poo, I hate that kids have to go through that.

i knew as a kid that it would be a horrible idea to come out to my parents and when i was an adult and did that it turned out to be a horrible idea. they make all the supportive noises, for other queer people, and vote for the good team (only mildly transphobic instead of rabidly transphobic). i'd rather they voted for monsters but were nice to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

posting is magic

buuuut that is selfish and im old now and don't need them anymore so who cares