Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

feedmegin posted:

Why? Nothing stopping you being appointed to the same office several times in a row.

no that’s the problem the rules say you can’t

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Microplastics posted:

Dorries' piss status: boiled
picture unrelated

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Big ecclesiastical news in tomorrows Star

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
https://twitter.com/jewdas/status/1668275513557753856

"On this Pride month *deep breath* I am proud to come out and say *dramatic pause* that I am a straightosexual male *sniffs back tears* thank you."

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Pubic intellectual.

Cos he's a knob.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

well now hang on, if the first spaceship arrived in the 1930s then how did the alien pope pius XI get here? something about this doesn’t add up at all

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
SPACE PROTESTANTS!

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

This is worth watching

https://twitter.com/PiersUncensored/status/1668342567086219270

:allears:

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
I'm starting to get my finances in order with my second kid due in a month and just opened up a savings account with a 3.91% interest rate (Shawbrook if anyone's interested).

I'm just doing the long-term sums and wondering if I have them right.

Basically, we've put £10k in there, to begin with, and plan on topping it up with £12k a year every year until we retire (we're 40 now)

I know interest rates will rise and fall, but if they stay flat at 3.91% for the next 35 years and we keep putting £12k in each year, my excel sums say that when I'm 75, the account will be making ~£37k a year in interest. Does that sound about right?

I dragged that pattern out for another 25 years till I'm 100 and the annual interest jumps up to £116k per year.

If my kids take it on and continue to contribute to it in the same way, then pass it on to my potential grandkids, by the time they hit about 70 the interest will be over half a million per year.

Surely there's a cap to this, or is this basically how the rich stay rich by passing on generational wealth using compound interests (and possibly some sort of inheritance tax avoidance to speed it up).

I mean it's a silly long time to consider, but by the time the account is 115 years old (if my sums are right) it'll be making £1M a year in interest and be long past the point of it actually needing additional money put into it.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
The magic of compound interest. Also, when your employer is double-matching your pension contributions it's extra nice.

Until I remember that there will be no society left to administer pensions when I nominally retire in 30...ish years

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I hate hate hate hate hate hate hate handing it to Piers Moron of all people.

This is still him objectively correct.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Her tears are like a fine Chablis to me. Her whinging is like a sweet melody floating in the summer breeze. Her fiery rage the warm coals of a bbq grilling my sausage of chuckles

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

happyhippy posted:

SPACE PROTESTANTS!
Reminds me of the late 19th/early 20th century debates about, should there be intelligent life beyond the known Earth, is it in need of salvation?

That's beyond knowledge, said the Canon Code, but we can't risk them being prods or worse, therefore the 1917 Code of Canon law places any newly discovered territory under the Catholic diocese from where the expedition left.

So when William Borders was ordained as the first Bishop of Orlando Florida (including Cape Canaveral) in June 1968, it was less than a year until Bishop Borders made an ad limina visit to the Vatican for an audience with Pope Blessed Paul VI to discuss his responsibilities as first Bishop of the Moon.

(It's since been removed, but I think they'd be getting more new interest if they'd just rolled with it and had a moon bishop delivering homilies over a parabolic dish throughout the ecclesiastical year.)

Kin posted:

Surely there's a cap to this, or is this basically how the rich stay rich by passing on generational wealth using compound interests (and possibly some sort of inheritance tax avoidance to speed it up).
They just have to pass it on 7 years before they eat the big one, that's the biggest part of the avoidance secret. John McDonnell wanted to do away with that loophole and it horrified the broadsheets probably more than anything else

gov.uk posted:

No tax is due on any gifts you give if you live for 7 years after giving them - unless the gift is part of a trust. This is known as the 7 year rule.

I assume this is also what encourages the bourgeoisie to not murder their parents where for anyone else human decency alone may suffice.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Guavanaut posted:

So when William Borders was ordained as the first Bishop of Orlando Florida (including Cape Canaveral) in June 1968, it was less than a year until Bishop Borders made an ad limina visit to the Vatican for an audience with Pope Blessed Paul VI to discuss his responsibilities as first Bishop of the Moon.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Lol

https://twitter.com/jasemonkey/status/1668368986793205760?s=46&t=m_nNbkNoHG4lLitcpyHReg

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
:classiclol:

No edit will outdo Jack Chick's actual opinions on Catholics though. Ancient Egypt Satan gave the Pope a biscuit and that's why the Papists worship biscuit god.

He's with Pat Robertson and Ian Paisley now, just screaming "no you're being deceived by the Antichrist" at one another for all eternity.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Guavanaut posted:

They just have to pass it on 7 years before they eat the big one, that's the biggest part of the avoidance secret. John McDonnell wanted to do away with that loophole and it horrified the broadsheets probably more than anything else

I assume this is also what encourages the bourgeoisie to not murder their parents where for anyone else human decency alone may suffice.

I think my life insurance provider directed me towards a trust recently.

The policy I've got doesn't name the kids as beneficiaries so if my wife and I pop it at the same time then I'm not sure if the policy pays out to them.

Is a trust basically just a family bank account?

I figured if I set this high interest account up, I'd eventually just add the kids to it in time and then we all make contributions to it to live off of when we retire

I didn't know about that 7 year rule but figured Iif they spent 20 odd years contributing to an account before I die, it should be considered theirs too.

Just wish my parents had been so forward thinking so it didn't have to start with me. My mum even worked in the Bank of Scotland for 30 years before retiring early at 55 or so, but didn't set anything like this up.

The idea of being able to retire in 15 years time and live comfortably sounds like a fantasy to me right now.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Kin posted:

I think my life insurance provider directed me towards a trust recently.

The policy I've got doesn't name the kids as beneficiaries so if my wife and I pop it at the same time then I'm not sure if the policy pays out to them.

Is a trust basically just a family bank account?

I figured if I set this high interest account up, I'd eventually just add the kids to it in time and then we all make contributions to it to live off of when we retire

I didn't know about that 7 year rule but figured Iif they spent 20 odd years contributing to an account before I die, it should be considered theirs too.

Just wish my parents had been so forward thinking so it didn't have to start with me. My mum even worked in the Bank of Scotland for 30 years before retiring early at 55 or so, but didn't set anything like this up.

The idea of being able to retire in 15 years time and live comfortably sounds like a fantasy to me right now.

I think you should probably get financial advice from a qualified Financial Advisor especially as there are kids involved
You need to consider what if they are under say 21/23 if you and your wife pop it at the same time. If you don't have a Will you & your wife should have them. It's usual these days to say the spouse of one only inherits all if they survive the other spouse by 30 days (because of legal complications that arise if both die in the same accident say - who died first?)

A trust isn't a family bank account!

One of my young relatives lost his hard-working, sensible, mother when he was 13 and because she and her dreamer guitar-strumming husband were divorced, she didn't want ex-husband getting his mitts on what was her pension fund, her Will included setting up a trust fund for the boy until he was 23 when he finally inherited the dough (a very healthy amount after 10 years of investment). (NB - not sure you can do that in Wills now - totally exclude an ex who may be entitled to a share of the pension fund regardless - I'm not a lawyer!)

If you have pensions you can nominate people to receive some of it though trustees of pension schemes do not have to follow your wishes, they will take them in to account. Maybe you can do the same with the life insurance policies? I have no descendants so I've not got life insurance so not sure about that.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jun 13, 2023

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Guavanaut posted:

No edit will outdo Jack Chick's actual opinions on Catholics though. Ancient Egypt Satan gave the Pope a biscuit and that's why the Papists worship biscuit god.

He's with Pat Robertson and Ian Paisley now, just screaming "no you're being deceived by the Antichrist" at one another for all eternity.
I hope they let Jack Chick draw cartoons in hell.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
If it's Dante's ironic punishment hell then he gets to draw all the cartoons he wants, and then they float back down a few hours later with corrections.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Kin posted:

I'm starting to get my finances in order with my second kid due in a month and just opened up a savings account with a 3.91% interest rate (Shawbrook if anyone's interested).

Basically, we've put £10k in there, to begin with, and plan on topping it up with £12k a year every year until we retire (we're 40 now)

I know interest rates will rise and fall, but if they stay flat at 3.91% for the next 35 years and we keep putting £12k in each year, my excel sums say that when I'm 75, the account will be making ~£37k a year in interest. Does that sound about right?

I dragged that pattern out for another 25 years till I'm 100 and the annual interest jumps up to £116k per year.

If my kids take it on and continue to contribute to it in the same way, then pass it on to my potential grandkids, by the time they hit about 70 the interest will be over half a million per year.

I mean it's a silly long time to consider, but by the time the account is 115 years old (if my sums are right) it'll be making £1M a year in interest and be long past the point of it actually needing additional money put into it.

You pay income tax on the interest, at whatever your tax rate is.

Also 3.91% annual interest is currently about a -6% real return. Better than the -10% you’d be experiencing with a current account , but no one is getting rich off that.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
In 115 years you'll be making a million a year in interest and you'll need it for when you're picking up a £4,000 pint of milk

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Kin posted:

If that account isn't an ISA you are gonna pay tax on it.
Also if you want long term savings like this you are usually better off putting it in investment account as most savings accounts are below the current level of interest, so in real terms they don't make anything, they actually lose, just not as much as sitting in your current account.

I recommend you ask the UK finance thread.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3887120

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Honestly surprised they didn’t go with “Corbyn’s Britain”

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

happyhippy posted:

SPACE PROTESTANTS!

Little Orange Men

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2023/jun/13/ai-could-be-most-substantial-policy-challenge-ever-say-blair-and-hague

quote:

Policy recommendations from the report by the Tony Blair Institute include requiring generative AI companies to label the media they produce as “deepfakes” and for unlabelled deepfakes to be removed from the internet. The report also calls for publicly owned datasets to help build responsible AI systems, as well as the creation of a national laboratory focused on researching and testing safe AI, with the aim of it becoming an international AI regulator.

The report also recommends that any entity wishing to access government-controlled computing power for use in building AI systems must show “responsible use” of it.

It says the UK is “overly dependent” on the Google-owned DeepMind, a world-leading AI company, and needs to develop more businesses like it. If the country does not adapt quickly, there is a risk of never catching up with other countries such as the US, home of the ChatGPT developer OpenAI, the report states.

Keir Starmer will set out a stark warning about the risks that the technology poses when he speaks to the London Tech Week conference on Tuesday. The Labour leader will compare the possible effects on the British labour market to the deindustrialisation of the 1970s and 1980s, saying: “The question facing our country is who will benefit from this disruption? Will it leave some behind, as happened with deindustrialisation across vast swathes of our country? Or can it help build a society where everyone is included, and inequalities are narrowed, not widened?”

Apparently its going to revolutionize everything and is very dangerous. The solution of the brain trust at the Tony Blair institute? Just put labels on it! Just delete things from the internet!

Then comes Starmer with his little speech. No leadership as usual. This thing is happening; it could go one way or another for the working class like that thing that just happened in the 70s and 80s for some reason.

Does any normal person care about AI?

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

domhal posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2023/jun/13/ai-could-be-most-substantial-policy-challenge-ever-say-blair-and-hague

Apparently its going to revolutionize everything and is very dangerous. The solution of the brain trust at the Tony Blair institute? Just put labels on it! Just delete things from the internet!

Then comes Starmer with his little speech. No leadership as usual. This thing is happening; it could go one way or another for the working class like that thing that just happened in the 70s and 80s for some reason.

Yes lots of normal people do. But they care more about it contributing and continuing the bad trends of current tech, not terminator style Armageddon.

grobbo
May 29, 2014

smellmycheese posted:

This country needs to be taken out into the yard and beaten with sticks

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
You do question Labour's strategy of being openly right-wing shits, if the Mail etc are just going to run front pages like this anyway.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm not sure it's a strategy as much as a calling.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Since Sunak must know that no matter how much he reduces the boat crossing numbers it won't be enough for the Mail, but also that they will blame things that are happening under his actual watch on a hypothetical Starmer government, what incentive does he have to even give a poo poo?

domhal posted:

It can chat vaguely convincing bollocks for pages with little input, so it's to Blair's class what the fast breeder reactor was to Scargill's.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

smellmycheese posted:

I am curious exactly what she considers poverty, like 'had to shop at sainsburys instead of M&S' or more like that deranged "80k isn't enough to live on after you've put 9k in savings each month" tweet.

E: I read it so you don't have to:

nads mikkelsen posted:

I grew up on a Liverpool council estate and I knew what hunger pains felt like. I had to borrow shoes in order to attend school.

After qualifying as a nurse, I gave ten years of my life to the NHS. Later, I ran a community school in Zambia (where my husband was working). When we returned to the UK, I raised our three children while building my own ­childcare business with little financial backing.

We sold it a decade later to a blue-chip company where I served as a director. And then I turned to politics, which changed my life for ever.
It's the boomer thing. Parents bought their council house back when that was possible. Her experience of poverty was likely her dad scrimping and saving (i.e. had hand-me-downs and one of the poor kids described hunger to her once).

Followed by an absolutely normal career progression every child born in poverty gets, by selling her business to another business she was director of. Before pulling the ladder up behind her by joining the conservatives once she was making idle money.

All normal stuff there.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Jun 13, 2023

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

smellmycheese posted:

Isn't that a vision of rishi's Britain

The one we're in right now, where those things are happening

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Guavanaut posted:

The way some prods get about Catholics really is something to behold :allears:

Microplastics posted:

Isn't that a vision of rishi's Britain

The one we're in right now, where those things are happening

Like the classic "At least we don't live under communism!" takes attached to pictures of empty shelves in a capitalist country.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

smellmycheese posted:

Didn't realise Keith was in charge at the minute, that's what I get for not checking the news today. Thought this was still Rishi's Britain.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
it's a message to both of them to shift further rightwards. same as it ever was

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Got to admit, I'm enjoying this new era of Tory in fighting.
They always had an annoying habit of putting their differences aside.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Nuclear Spoon posted:

it's a message to both of them to shift further rightwards. same as it ever was
What happens on the day that both parties just respond to that with 'lol, lmao'?

(to newspaper threats specifically. they'll keep moving further right economically for their backers without any other pressure.)

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
https://www.ofcom.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0027/241947/News-Consumption-in-the-UK-2022-report.pdf

i think it'll slowly shift but the mail still has a sizeable online share - not sure how much of that is yanks sharing funny animal videos though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

What happens on the day that both parties just respond to that with 'lol, lmao'?

(to newspaper threats specifically. they'll keep moving further right economically for their backers without any other pressure.)

The 'smart' play here is for the papers to continue to promote social and economic inequality so that the people who read them continue to be the people who matter.