Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Automobile fuel can't melt American infrastructure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Eason the Fifth posted:

Automobile fuel can't melt American infrastructure

not with that attitude

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name
Pretty suspicious that someone needed all that gasoline in the first place if you ask me

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
It's been said before, but if gasoline wasn't grandfathered in to our society at such a fundamental level as it is, general public health codes would preclude the public from interacting with it.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Electric vehicles also burn, those lithium batteries are pretty nasty. Maybe they burn at a lower rate compared to gas vehicles, but a hypothetical 18 wheeler full of batteries on fire under the highway is also going to melt that bridge.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Phanatic posted:

The bridge is just a few years old, and that whole stretch of 95 has been entirely redone in an enormous project over the past several years. It didn’t fall because it was decrepit, it fell because a guy crashed a truck and set 8500 gallons of gasoline burning underneath it. How is this an example of bad infrastructure?

if we consider "trucks are also infrastructure" does a truck crash/fire not count as an infrastructure failure just because they're too frequent to bother counting?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

silentsnack posted:

if we consider "trucks are also infrastructure" does a truck crash/fire not count as an infrastructure failure just because they're too frequent to bother counting?

Trucks are transportation, which use infrastructure. They are not infrastructure themselves.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Chemmy posted:

Electric vehicles also burn, those lithium batteries are pretty nasty. Maybe they burn at a lower rate compared to gas vehicles, but a hypothetical 18 wheeler full of batteries on fire under the highway is also going to melt that bridge.

Anything that packs a lot of energy into a handy portable form from which it can be withdrawn with high power at will is going to have exciting failure modes.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

silentsnack posted:

People usually use the phrase to describe avoidable failures. Like a bridge that collapses because nobody has maintained it for 40 years or a train that derails because the railroad won't invest in modern signals.

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.

Bad Munki posted:

Well for starters it’s a terrible place to store your tanker fires.

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.
Deserves an empty quote not least because it’s :perfect: and also in the anti-snipe position (post immediately before new page)

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

mobby_6kl posted:

Vine leak in Villamalea, Spain
https://i.imgur.com/yf2RLGi.mp4

Holy poo poo that's a lotta Jesus. He must have been gigantic.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Least headache inducing Maurer ride.

Jen heir rick posted:

Somebody just needs to go up there and give it a little shove.
That looks like a safety cutout, somebody tripped a light curtain in the station or similar and the ride system stopped the train to make sure nobody gets run over. I don't see a Skyloop's operating manual publicly available on the internet so I can't tell if that's something that can be reset from the dispatch panel or if somebody is going to be walking up the stairs to hit the local all clear.

If the holdup is severe, Skyloops have a mechanism to do a controlled reversal of the chain and lower the train back down to the station, which normally happens after the train comes to a stop on the brakes halfway up the lift hill.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I put this in a few other food threads, but I kinda feel like it should go here too.

https://i.imgur.com/GB3mVwf.mp4

Tetanus flavored ice cream.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Well they wore gloves, what else do you want???

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Chemmy posted:

I think we need to burn a real 18 wheeler under a real bridge to see if you are correct.

Lobsterboy
Aug 18, 2003

start smoking (what's up, gold?)

Asehujiko posted:

Least headache inducing Maurer ride.

That looks like a safety cutout, somebody tripped a light curtain in the station or similar and the ride system stopped the train to make sure nobody gets run over. I don't see a Skyloop's operating manual publicly available on the internet so I can't tell if that's something that can be reset from the dispatch panel or if somebody is going to be walking up the stairs to hit the local all clear.

If the holdup is severe, Skyloops have a mechanism to do a controlled reversal of the chain and lower the train back down to the station, which normally happens after the train comes to a stop on the brakes halfway up the lift hill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVyXf_-O56I

This dude has a pov walkthrough of how they got people off millenium force when it got stuck on the hill, not as dicey as like top thrill or the 'push over the top' launch coasters

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I was working at Top Thril Dragster one day and a train we launched got perfectly balanced at the top (420 feet up).

A maintenance guy going up and pushing it was exactly what we did to fix it.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Sounds like all it needs is a tiny remote-controlled rocket engine stuck on the back

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Bad Munki posted:

Well for starters it’s a terrible place to store your tanker fires.

Seems to me like a missed opportunity for that to have been a nuclear-powered train.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.com/r936dum.mp4

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Zero One posted:

I was working at Top Thril Dragster one day and a train we launched got perfectly balanced at the top (420 feet up).

Nice.

Spent like 20 minutes stuck on a stand up ride at Six Flags. I thought standing there with a bar pressing between my legs sucked, but being upside down would have been worse.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

DelphiAegis posted:

It's been said before, but if gasoline wasn't grandfathered in to our society at such a fundamental level as it is, general public health codes would preclude the public from interacting with it.

There was a time when I found this line of argument persuasive, but today I must disagree.

There was a time when people said that we’d never allow autonomous vehicles on the roadway, because even if they were safe there’s just too much liability, but well,

gestures

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_rw5gdpsOYM1r0uzl6.mp4

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_rw3jecRvF31r0uzl6.mp4

I hope this guy has good workboots :ohdear:
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_rw34vjC5Pf1r0uzl6.mp4

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Lobsterboy posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVyXf_-O56I

This dude has a pov walkthrough of how they got people off millenium force when it got stuck on the hill, not as dicey as like top thrill or the 'push over the top' launch coasters

That's a bit of a different situation, Millenium Force has track-mounted anti-rollback systems(as do most coasters) rather than gearbox ones so it can't reverse the chain cable winch because early 2000's Intamin.

Here's a video that shows the backwards lift pretty well.

Zero One posted:

I'm sure your maintenance guy will be happy to learn that most newer launch coasters have single friction wheel or LSM at their highest point to deal with that situation.

Nu-Dragster might be getting one too after it's reconstruction.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

What a cool steering wheel!

Borat voice KNOT!

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
Not going to lie, the juxtaposition of this thread’s opinions about autonomous vehicles:

Platystemon posted:

There was a time when people said that we’d never allow autonomous vehicles on the roadway, because even if they were safe there’s just too much liability, but well,

gestures

And the examples of how human beings drive vehicles:

Continues to delight me.

Harry_Potato
May 21, 2021

Looks like that machine has the industrial equivalent of the beer shits. Once you break the seal you better run for it.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Cartoon Man posted:

I put this in a few other food threads, but I kinda feel like it should go here too.

Music has a fun beat though

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

I need to know how much this cost

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Unperson_47 posted:

I need to know how much this cost

Probably like $1000. When you get into really expensive cameras (even like a handheld DSLR) you get basically sacrificial lenses to put on the front that don't actually do anything, they just block impacts from hitting the actual expensive poo poo. There's no way you would set up a camera in the line of fire like that without a guard to cover it. Delay the game five minutes, unscrew the front, screw a new front on, write off the old piece for your taxes.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Cartoon Man posted:

Did they use.. dough?.. as a gasket?

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Entropic posted:

"Did they use.. dough?.. as a gasket?"

- Ferrucio Lamborghini while servicing his Ferrari, late 1950s

Duct Tape Engineer
Feb 16, 2005

Look at you, hacker: a pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you run through my corridors. How can you challenge a perfect, immortal machine?

Entropic posted:

If that's what you have, and it works, why not?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
I feel like I really don't get the Tetanus Cream Roller. It seems like a super elaborate way of getting yourself sick when you could have made the same thing and not made yourself sick in some simpler way.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
so have you heard of indian street food before

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Maybe the rust imparts a certain something to the flavor profile.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Entropic posted:

redgubbinz posted:

lmao

coldpudding
May 14, 2009

FORUM GHOST

Entropic posted:

Hey If it works it works, coopers have been using dough probably as long as the trade has existed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wyf0IEQ7ZD4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moparacker
May 8, 2007

redgubbinz posted:

I totally read this in the voice of a Tamarian.