Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Eikon
Phoenix
Titan
Garuda
Ramuh
Shiva
Odin
Bahamut
Ifrit
View Results

FeatherFloat
Dec 31, 2003

Not kyuute
It's gonna be a hard ten days, waiting for launch, god.

I kind of want to replay the demo again because early on I forgot that R2 let you use the REALLY fancy moves and I just regular attack/magic/dodge/parry/countered my way through the fights. Oops! Combat's fun as hell, I want to fight more things, gonna sink my teeth into the post-demo trial stuff later when I've got some more time.

Also wow that was a lot of violence! They're using that M rating to the fullest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

drat if I already hadn't pre-ordered FF16 I'd preorder it again. This demo is fire.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Ok, based on the Eikon mode the Torgal lines are already getting annoying and I hope they fix the frequency of them occurring

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Spermando posted:

Is it the parry into ora ora ora? It can be purchased in the demo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqeyWsFb8Tg

That is the one. It's amazing. The way it stops time and lets you go full Jojo is fantastic.

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won

triple sulk posted:

Ok, based on the Eikon mode the Torgal lines are already getting annoying and I hope they fix the frequency of them occurring

Yeah this drove me crazy and it turns out it’s because of one of those difficulty rings. Just take it off and he’ll shut up

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Somehow the combat's even better than I was expecting. This demo is a blast

Titan mode is easily my favorite. That parry is incredibly satisfying.

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

can't wait to overthrow the system of slavery that has persisted for centuries and become so ingrained in Valisthean life

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

It’s been a good month for laughably, unapologetically evil moms in Final Fantasy.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I still can't figure out parry timing. Does anyone have a good idea it works? I've done it a couple times by complete accident, but never when I'm trying to do it.

HD DAD posted:

People over on Twitter and Reddit are confirming the demo is an old build. Demo is v.1.01 and apparently they were playing v.1.03 last night at the XVI event. So maybe performance has already been smoothed over.

That'd be great if so. It's definitely very noticeable in pretty much all non-combat stuff, so hopefully it's better in the later build.

Crystal Lake Witch
Apr 25, 2010

Demo rules, but I'm most invested in the storyline of the hero chocobo that knocks Clive away from some rubble. I'll gladly give up a traditional RPG party if they give me a cool bird with an eyepatch

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Can’t wait for Metia, the very conspicuous and mysterious red star everyone prays to to become extremely relevant in the story at some point lol

Injuryprone
Sep 26, 2007

Speak up, there's something in my ear.

HD DAD posted:

Can’t wait for Metia, the very conspicuous and mysterious red star everyone prays to to become extremely relevant in the story at some point lol

Oops all meteors

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Injuryprone posted:

Oops all meteors

I’d also throw some money in for ancient lunar orbital space station.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

DrakePegasus posted:

It’s been a good month for laughably, unapologetically evil moms in Final Fantasy.

:hai:

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

A man who has said too much

HD DAD posted:

I’d also throw some money in for ancient lunar orbital space station.

We can probably rule out ancient solar energy collector/prison with an massive eikon stuffed inside it

mikemil828 fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jun 12, 2023

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I appreciate that the first naughty word we hear isn't even gently caress

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
The demo was incredible and I should’ve waited til closer to release to play it

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

Cid confidently telling Clive to stand back only to immediately eat poo poo is the most Cid thing ever. It's the best. :allears:

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

To be honest I'd try to avoid it. You get a *lot* of defensive options and the ability to extend your perfect dodge window. I didn't experiment with it much but I think that only works with default dodge snd none of the other cool parry/dodge moves

Torgal one should be harmless tho'

I did learn that even though the prompt always says dodge, you can still titan block during the window. I'll try to wean myself off the accessory in the game proper once I unlock more defensive options, then. I just ate a lot of unnecessary hits during the demo because I was slow to react.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Torgal control issues aside, I'm actually pleasantly surprised by the combat being more difficult than I expected. I absolutely ate poo poo against Garuda the first time (though part of that is because I was constantly trying to do perfect dodges instead of just playing it safe and avoiding attacks by running around).

Something that wasn't as clear from the preview videos is that you can't just dodge over and over again, and the time window is small enough (even after I upgraded it in the skill interface - btw everyone should remember to do that during the Eikonic challenge mode - you can also try out an extra skill for each Eikon) that you really have to pay attention. Titan block also isn't perfect, since a non-perfect block against boss attacks seems to usually stagger you (so any sort of combo will hit you on the follow-ups).

edit: I feel like in practice the way I'm going to end up playing this is to have one Eikon form that is my "main regular fighting one" (with a circle ability that I like) and to just cycle through all of them blowing all their cooldowns whenever they're available. Dynamically switching to use specific skills seems like it'll be a bit much for my brain to handle (outside of situations like "boss is about to shoot a projectile, so switch to Phoenix for the anti-projectile thing").

(Tbh, part of me wishes you were limited to two, since with just two you don't have to keep track of which form you're using. While I'm sure you can get familiar with the specific order you choose, part of my brain will always have to think about things like "if I want to change back to _____ I need to hit L2 twice vs once.")

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jun 13, 2023

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

I think it's safe to say that Creative Business Unit 3 is the A team now.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

Torgal control issues aside, I'm actually pleasantly surprised by the combat being more difficult than I expected. I absolutely ate poo poo against Garuda the first time (though part of that is because I was constantly trying to do perfect dodges instead of just playing it safe and avoiding attacks by running around).

Something that wasn't as clear from the preview videos is that you can't just dodge over and over again, and the time window is small enough (even after I upgraded it in the skill interface - btw everyone should remember to do that during the Eikonic challenge mode - you can also try out an extra skill for each Eikon) that you really have to pay attention. Titan block also isn't perfect, since a non-perfect block against boss attacks seems to usually stagger you (so any sort of combo will hit you on the follow-ups).

edit: I feel like in practice the way I'm going to end up playing this is to have one Eikon form that is my "main regular fighting one" (with a circle ability that I like) and to just cycle through all of them blowing all their cooldowns whenever they're available. Dynamically switching to use specific skills seems like it'll be a bit much for my brain to handle (outside of situations like "boss is about to shoot a projectile, so switch to Phoenix for the anti-projectile thing").

(Tbh, part of me wishes you were limited to two, since with just two you don't have to keep track of which form you're using. While I'm sure you can get familiar with the specific order you choose, part of my brain will always have to think about things like "if I want to change back to _____ I need to hit L2 twice vs once.")

What I found myself doing was having an "aggressive" setup, a "Will breaking" setup and a "big loving hits" setup. For the first I pretty much always used Phoenix, Will breaking has multiple choices but Titan and Garuda are both good in different ways, and Big loving Hits was whatever I had that could deal the biggest damage during Break periods. (Usually one of the more cinematic attacks.)

It's kind of hard to just settle on one 'selection' though since there are a ton of different options.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

What I found myself doing was having an "aggressive" setup, a "Will breaking" setup and a "big loving hits" setup. For the first I pretty much always used Phoenix, Will breaking has multiple choices but Titan and Garuda are both good in different ways, and Big loving Hits was whatever I had that could deal the biggest damage during Break periods. (Usually one of the more cinematic attacks.)

It's kind of hard to just settle on one 'selection' though since there are a ton of different options.

I did the same in terms of "boss vs trash mobs" (since it doesn't seem to make sense to use the AoE abilities against a boss when you can instead use something like the counter-focused abilities). But I was thinking more in terms of how often I switch Eikon forms during combat. The way I mostly did it was to stick to one where I liked the O attack (I ended up like the Phoenix one for the mobility, and it seems more reliable in general to "move yourself to an enemy" than the other way around), and once abilities were off cool-down I'd just swap through all 3 forms and blow all their cooldowns. With the main exception to this being "when a boss is getting close-ish to being broken" (since I want all of them up for that).

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

Feel like I was having trouble with the combat system when just fighting groups of mobs. It was during the last boss fight in the trial was where I really got the combat. I feel like the boss fights will be where this game really shines.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

loving love Fiona Apple posted:

Feel like I was having trouble with the combat system when just fighting groups of mobs. It was during the last boss fight in the trial was where I really got the combat. I feel like the boss fights will be where this game really shines.

Yeah, with trash mobs it doesn't feel possible to do much with things like dodging/parrying. The best approach I could find seemed to be "just aggressively destroy them with your Eikon skills."

The bosses are good because you can pay attention to them specifically.

(btw I still don't understand parrying - if someone figured out how to do that, let me know, because it's bugging me that I could never figure out what it wants out of the timing)

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Nelson Mandingo posted:

I think it's safe to say that Creative Business Unit 3 is the A team now.

When were they not? Shadowbringers was the best final fantasy

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Watching people going through the extremes of emotion from this demo is loving fantastic.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Clive’s mom is a bitch.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

You will not speak ill of Mrs. Clyde

Fabulous Knight
Nov 11, 2011
Wow. Only played the first 30 min or so thus far but this is to me maybe the first PS5 game where it's clear as day it was not also developed for the PS4.

Granted, I haven't played that many.

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

Fabulous Knight posted:

Wow. Only played the first 30 min or so thus far but this is to me maybe the first PS5 game where it's clear as day it was not also developed for the PS4.

Granted, I haven't played that many.

RE4Make was like this, but they made a PS4 version anyway. There were no surviviors.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The goblins sound like Donald Duck.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
If anything happens to Torgal I will kill everyone present and then myself

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

How did Torgal survive that massive fireblast anyway

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Ibblebibble posted:

How did Torgal survive that massive fireblast anyway

Who says he did :tinfoil:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Just to make sure I wasn't missing something, the game is very strongly implying that Clive himself turned into Ifrit and killed his brother, right? Like there's stuff from the previews that seemingly contradicts that (namely Benedicta/Waloed having the "Dominant of Fire" in their custody), but I'm not sure how else to explain Clive collapsing instantly before Ifrit appears and somehow being present for Ifrit killing his brother - seen through a filter similar to Joshua's when he was Phoenix - plus the firy guy/hooded guy seemingly being someone who only Clive could see

Detective No. 27 posted:

Clive’s mom is a bitch.

Wrong - clearly she was simply unhappy with the way Rosalia treated its slaves.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jun 13, 2023

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

HD DAD posted:

Watch it turn out to be Lavos

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The good mom to evil mom ratio in final fantasy is actually pretty even isnt it? Trying to think of which moms there are. Aerith had a good mom, and Hope had a tough mom. Garnet had evil mom, and now we have Clive. Am I missing anyone though?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I said come in! posted:

The good mom to evil mom ratio in final fantasy is actually pretty even isnt it? Trying to think of which moms there are. Aerith had a good mom, and Hope had a tough mom. Garnet had evil mom, and now we have Clive. Am I missing anyone though?

Tidus's mom kind of sucked and apparently just stopped parenting after his dad left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

seymour's mom was good but also kind of hosed him up