Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

[swallows uneasily]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

EVERY TIME GOING posted:

Your welcome mama bear, and trying to get/stay at Fortify as a blood necro whose first healthbubble is almost always maxed is near impossible. Maybe it's meant to synergize with builds that are always in an Injured state since you only need like 1/3 of the Fortify bar to have it be more than your current health.

This is true but your fortify value contributes to overpowers regardless of whether you're currently getting the damage reduction, so it's still worthwhile to get even if you're able to keep your health topped off more often than not. Fortify plus Overpower feels like a "rich get richer" mechanic cause it really rewards people who are already doing well lmao.

Personally, just finished the main campaign today. Honestly pretty good, with the exception of Act IV being very obviously cut for time. Everything after that felt a bit rushed, but I also was kind of rushing because I did too much side content early and was stuck at 50 due to the kind of dumb level scaling thing they did. I don't hate the idea of locking content or even levels behind completing the campaign inherently, but it really grinds my gears that they put so much side content in there with the explicit expectation that players would not do all of it as they came upon it.

IMO they should have held a lot more of the side content behind campaign completion because there's way too much xp to be had, and potentially wasted due to level scaling post 50, from the side content available. A bit too easy for completionist/checklist players like myself to run out of available levels to gain prior to running out of side content to do. Pretty minor gripe overall, but still kind of annoying.

MMAgCh posted:

[swallows uneasily]

LMAO I had this in church dungeon. The music started playing and I was trying to find him, and it turned out he was in a little cloister room by himself. Turns out The Butcher still can't open doors.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Intense and exciting Butcher showdown update: to open that big door he's behind I need a key. This key, apparently, is dropped by an elite that spawns once all enemies in the area have been killed… only the Butcher is one of said enemies, so I'd need to kill him in order to acquire the key I need to face him in the first place. In other words, I don't think I have any choice but to reset the dungeon and start over.

Even when you don't actually get to fight the Butcher he still messes poo poo up. :argh:

Potassium Problems
Sep 28, 2001

MMAgCh posted:

Intense and exciting Butcher showdown update: to open that big door he's behind I need a key. This key, apparently, is dropped by an elite that spawns once all enemies in the area have been killed… only the Butcher is one of said enemies, so I'd need to kill him in order to acquire the key I need to face him in the first place. In other words, I don't think I have any choice but to reset the dungeon and start over.

Even when you don't actually get to fight the Butcher he still messes poo poo up. :argh:

I had the same thing happen to me, only it was a treasure goblin behind the door with 1 enemy left to kill. I ended up resetting too

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Well that just sounds like smart tactics by the monsters

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
lol my bf just referred to D4 as "the cookie clicker game", I feel rather owned

flashman posted:

Ruins of eridu, West of the veyska??? Wp south part of the map. Just keep running and stop and kill elites, more will spawn on top of you, it's actually really fun and what the entire game should have been like imo.

Once you finish phase one of the dungeon just leave dungeon leave game and then open again and it resets. Every two runs you'll have a full inventory to sell, they take about five minutes a run.

Does this work for WT2? I guess it's a pretty packed mob density but I just ran two laps and no drops past rare

Ms. Chanandler Bong
Dec 20, 2008

MMAgCh posted:

Yep I also had this bug and it's well known about on the bug forums it seems.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Heavy Pants :downs:

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Hey folks I realize this is pretty dumb but what I don't like playing with a controller is that I don't know what I have set to which buttons/bumpers/etc. Is there any way to find out in game? I mean I can always go back to my computer and load up D4 but that's tedious. Thanks for any help.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

MMAgCh posted:

[swallows uneasily]

After several days of absence, I ran into him again today... right by a Conduit shrine. Almost disappointed I didn't have to evade his headbutts this time

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I never realize I'm fighting the butcher until he starts bumping me around and I'm like "what the gently caress is wrong with this g- ohhhhhh"

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

isk posted:

After several days of absence, I ran into him again today... right by a Conduit shrine. Almost disappointed I didn't have to evade his headbutts this time

I was partied with my wife on WT1 this morning and ran into him in a level ~20 dungeon and he absolutely wrecked us. It wasn't even remotely winnable.

Reminded me of running into my first Hill Giant in Everquest 1.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

Mayveena posted:

Hey folks I realize this is pretty dumb but what I don't like playing with a controller is that I don't know what I have set to which buttons/bumpers/etc. Is there any way to find out in game? I mean I can always go back to my computer and load up D4 but that's tedious. Thanks for any help.

Like which button does which ability? Isn't it shown right there by the skill icons?

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

I'm a couple page late of the itemization discussion, but most of the stats on items that are + damage to (x) or vs (x) are mostly "bad" compared to other rolls you could get. Crit damage and damage to Vulnerable enemies are the exception because they are multiplicative bonuses. All other forms of +damage that you can get as an affix on gear are additive with each other, most magic/rare paragon nodes, and most glyph damage bonuses. To give an example, for my Bone Necro's weapon there are a bunch of +damage rolls you can get, like damage to stunned enemies or slowed enemies or close enemies etc. I would not want a lot of those affixes on a "perfect" weapon. For me, the perfect weapon would have +vuln damage, +crit damage. +crit damage with bone skills, and then the last affix could be one of those additive damage bonuses or just intelligence.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Mayveena posted:

Open the skill tree and click the left stick to open the menu that lets you change buttons

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
Just had my rematch with El Butcher from when he beat my rear end at like level 25. Only a t1 sigil but absolutely handed him his rear end. Didn't even have to potion.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
I’m not a seasoned ARPG player, and I wasn’t quite sure how to build my Rogue. I went with a build that relies on Barrage and Cold Imbuement with Poison Imbuement as a backup for bosses.

Boy, does it suck something fierce against bosses. I know I need to ditch Cold Imbue, because it not affecting bosses leaves me wondering what purpose it serves.

My question is do I have to ditch barrage as well? I’m only Level 30 on Tier 2.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Barrage works alright single target but you have to be closer to slam more bolts into them. If you can find an aspect for Rapid Fire you can make it bounce for hitting multiple dudes.

Poison Imbue has a 12 second cooldown you should be popping one imbue, firing twice, then the other. No need to save it for bosses, they'll live for 12 seconds in most cases.

Cold Imbue affects bosses, as does all CC. It fills their stagger bar which'll knock them flat for about 4 seconds and give them vulnerable. You may need another source of cold since CI stacks chill towards a freeze, but by itself it's only two tics for about 20 + 20%. Cold Imbue also gets a +20% damage boost to chilled targets, which is no +200% damage from a 5+ Poison Imbue, but I've been enjoying cold caltrops and cold imbue leveling from 40 to 50 as rogue.

Death Trap, Poison Trap, Cold Trops, toss a puncture in for Vuln, space dash back in and start beating them down hard with cold imbue. Procs exposure like nobody's business. I'm Twisting Blades(surprise) since the innate Daze helps me get boss stagger wildly fast. CC everywhere!

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

soscannonballs posted:

I'm a couple page late of the itemization discussion, but most of the stats on items that are + damage to (x) or vs (x) are mostly "bad" compared to other rolls you could get. Crit damage and damage to Vulnerable enemies are the exception because they are multiplicative bonuses. All other forms of +damage that you can get as an affix on gear are additive with each other, most magic/rare paragon nodes, and most glyph damage bonuses. To give an example, for my Bone Necro's weapon there are a bunch of +damage rolls you can get, like damage to stunned enemies or slowed enemies or close enemies etc. I would not want a lot of those affixes on a "perfect" weapon. For me, the perfect weapon would have +vuln damage, +crit damage. +crit damage with bone skills, and then the last affix could be one of those additive damage bonuses or just intelligence.

I just swapped to a weapon with 60% vulnerable damage and was wondering why my DPS skyrocketed. It seems like it's probably bugged though, surely it should work like all the other '+% damage to' mods?

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

There's so much insestial gear, it's sickening.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Sorc/Wiz has been the best Diablo character for like 23 years so no surprise it’s the most popular at launch

Of course this being the most darkest and evilest Diablo game yet Sorcs suck rear end now and get to play as a boring melee range class

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I'm so glad I played the game without reading the tiers first or I wouldn't have been able to stomp wt4 as a firewall sorc

Much like how wile e coyote couldn't fall to his death until he looked down, my sorc is an end game slaya until I heard she was actually bad

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
I think getting renown again for new seasons won't be too bad if they make it easier and have the map still filled out and waypoints active. Strongholds and dungeons are fine but doing the side quests every time will get really old quick.
Long term I hope they add a mode where you can group up really easily and run stuff basically like d3 rifts, just bits of dungeon stitched together endlessly.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I'm so glad I played the game without reading the tiers first or I wouldn't have been able to stomp wt4 as a firewall sorc

Much like how wile e coyote couldn't fall to his death until he looked down, my sorc is an end game slaya until I heard she was actually bad
What? Firewall is an A tier build. There is no sorcerer build higher than an A tier build.

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
would be cool if there was an eta on when my barb will be able to use two of his aspects again

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Dear Blizzard: 1-2 veiled crystals isn't a quest reward.

Had a funny lil lesson just now. Did a dungeon, teleport out, try to tele to town. Fails 3 times in a row with the animation finishing but not warping me, check my internet connection, isn't dropping. Walk to town(it was close), shops work, people are moving, etc. Mild server desync? Get a little sidequest, go kill 10ish tusked chargers.

Going fine, traditional dodge obvious wind up charge monster from D3. Then he slides into me and one-shots me from 90%. I'm a sorc, sure, but it's level 20 and WT2! Decide to test it out and every other charge does 50ish% of my full hp.

Huh. Maybe monsters can crit, maybe there was a desync and he hit me twice or I didn't get to see a lag burst that gave him two attacks. Luckily I was on Softcore but now I know to call it quits for a bit if my teleport scrolls go unresponsive on HC.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Propaganda Hour posted:

It reminds me of the itemization Blizzard tried in Battle for Azeroth. It's just too loving finicky and there are too many levers to adjust. I don't even know what a perfect roll would look like on any of my gear slots and not seeing that clear goal or target isn't fun. It isn't fun because I'll probably never have that "oh poo poo! It dropped! The one item I've been waiting for!" feeling that D2 and D3 had. Warhammer 40k Darktide has that problem: you're mulling over 100 items that all kinda suck. Sorcerer has a million different offensive damage modifiers and the choice paralysis slows down the core gameplay loop and isn't fun. D3 was almost the opposite side of the spectrum because itemization was too simplified and too arcade-y. I think they overcompensated in D4.

Yeah, and you have to look at every single stat on every single item and there's no filter. Great design.

mbt posted:

fcr is aids and i'm glad they didn't include it. it is the best stat by so much that it makes the other stats seem terrible by comparison. instead we have cdr, which is the same thing
instead of fhr we have crowd control duration, which no one rolls because it doesnt make the damage # go up

what I want is the removal of flat damage reduction, make res + phys matter, and give me another affix or two on rares

From what I'd read I thought that +attack speed applies to everything now and basically acts like fcr?

WarEternal fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jun 13, 2023

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Gone Fashing posted:

would be cool if there was an eta on when my barb will be able to use two of his aspects again

Destiny 2 players: “first time?”

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Suprfli6 posted:

Couple pages ago but this is wrong I believe. All of the lucky hit mods on gear are multiplicative with whatever your skill's default lucky hit chance is. So whether or not you want to stack lucky hit mods on your items really comes down to what skill you are using since some have a pretty good base chance and others are awful for some reason.

Have you got a list handy of lucky hit chance of skills? Specifically sorc

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Turn on Advanced Tooltips and it'll be part of the skill summary. I can see stuff like my Hydra is 54% LH, etc.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Dungeon density needs to be increased a lot. It doesn’t feel like Diablo when most of my nightmare dungeons consist of running for 20+ seconds without finding any elites.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
I don't suppose there's a way to get fiend roses outside helltides? I just dropped a legendary chest piece that would be great for defenses except for one useless affix that needs a fiend rose to reroll, but I'm still on WT2 so helltides are a no go unless I beat Cathedral.

Also is it possible/useful to do capstone dungeons with a party?

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Jun 13, 2023

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Dungeon density needs to be increased a lot. It doesn’t feel like Diablo when most of my nightmare dungeons consist of running for 20+ seconds without finding any elites.

It really depends on the tileset AND the types of mobs that spawn in the tileset, which don't always match. Knights Penitent Cathedral? Lots of walking and empty rooms. Naga swamp? I'm up to my eyeballs in snussy.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Jelly posted:

What? Firewall is an A tier build. There is no sorcerer build higher than an A tier build.

Like I said, I don't give much credence to it, but The Internet says 'arc lash and ice shard' are the "S Tier" for sorc

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

Tiny Timbs posted:

What’s a necro without minions

A boner

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Like I said, I don't give much credence to it, but The Internet says 'arc lash and ice shard' are the "S Tier" for sorc
Which one you using? I tended to favor Maxroll for D3. Both of those are in A tier along with Firewall there:

https://maxroll.gg/d4/tierlists/endgame-tier-list

I really wanted to make a thorns Barb for my second char but C tier, hmm...

e: Ahh, I see you're looking at Icy Veins - I wonder which is more accurate.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Jelly posted:

Which one you using? I tended to favor Maxroll for D3. Both of those are in A tier along with Firewall there:

https://maxroll.gg/d4/tierlists/endgame-tier-list

I really wanted to make a thorns Barb for my second char but C tier, hmm...

Uh... also max roll

https://maxroll.gg/d4/tierlists/nightmare-dungeon-push-tier-list

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

What's the difference between "end game" and "nightmare dungeon pushing"?

This is making me reconsider how I should respec once I hit 50.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Doomykins posted:

Dear Blizzard: 1-2 veiled crystals isn't a quest reward.

The true quest reward is the fraction of a percent of total renown needed for the region.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Jelly posted:

What's the difference between "end game" and "nightmare dungeon pushing"?

This is making me reconsider how I should respec once I hit 50.

Heck if I know! My original point was all these Tier Concepts are silly!

Not least of all because you'd need to compare their strength at 0 paragon points, 50, 100, etc, all of which could be considered 'endgame' and all of which are gonna have wildly different rankings