Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Eikon
Phoenix
Titan
Garuda
Ramuh
Shiva
Odin
Bahamut
Ifrit
View Results

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

sephiroth had space mom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Ytlaya posted:

Just to make sure I wasn't missing something, the game is very strongly implying that Clive himself turned into Ifrit and killed his brother, right? Like there's stuff from the previews that seemingly contradicts that (namely Benedicta/Waloed having the "Dominant of Fire" in their custody), but I'm not sure how else to explain Clive collapsing instantly before Ifrit appears and somehow being present for Ifrit killing his brother - seen through a filter similar to Joshua's when he was Phoenix - plus the firy guy/hooded guy seemingly being someone who only Clive could see

Yeah but given he was straight up watching Ifrit kill Phoenix from a third person perspective there's definitely more to it than just the obvious.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

FFXIV just got an evil mum in its latest raid series.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Cloud's mom was good

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Demo ruled. Will be buying.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Clive's mom takes an early head start in the "Worst Mom" competition to be fair. She is exceptionally bad at moming to young Clive.

Fabulous Knight
Nov 11, 2011
An alarming lack of Square Enix grunts so far.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Also, your life expectancy is really awful if youre a Final Fantasy dad. Square hates parents now that I think about it.

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

A man who has said too much

Ibblebibble posted:

FFXIV just got an evil mum in its latest raid series.

From Shadowbringers to Endwalker FFXIV had 3 good moms as well.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Edea managed to be both a good mom and an evil mom to the entire cast of her game, which surely merits some kind of award.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
shoutouts to my man wade

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

So are the black bar spoilers I’ve been seeing in this thread from the demo or was there a leak or something?

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

Blockhouse posted:

shoutouts to my man wade

I’m upset about wade because I read his little blurb thing in the active lore guide and he’s just a dude who almost died from logs that got healed by Joshua and I want him to be in the whole game

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I said come in! posted:

Also, your life expectancy is really awful if youre a Final Fantasy dad. Square hates parents now that I think about it.

Thinking about it, of party members who are parents.
FFII: Josef (dies)
FFIV: Cid (survives), Tellah (dies) (Yang/Cecil/Rosa in the sequel)
FFV: Galuf (dies)
FFVI: Cyan (survives, family dies), Strago (survives), Shadow (Dies),
FFVII: Barret (survives)
FFVIII: Laguna (survives)
FFIX: Technically Vivi (seemingly dies.)
FFX: N/A (Wakka and Lulu in sequel)
FFXII: N/A
FFXIII: Sazh (survives)
FFXV: N/A

Not a great lineup TBH.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

I’m upset about wade because I read his little blurb thing in the active lore guide and he’s just a dude who almost died from logs that got healed by Joshua and I want him to be in the whole game

the second any wood collapsed near him I was like "OH NO WADE LOOK OUT"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I was 100% surprised that Wade and Taylor were not named Biggs and Wedge TBH.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Thinking about it, of party members who are parents.
FFII: Josef (dies)
FFIV: Cid (survives), Tellah (dies) (Yang/Cecil/Rosa in the sequel)
FFV: Galuf (dies)
FFVI: Cyan (survives, family dies), Strago (survives), Shadow (Dies),
FFVII: Barret (survives)
FFVIII: Laguna (survives)
FFIX: Technically Vivi (seemingly dies.)
FFXII: N/A
FFXIII: Sazh (survives)
FFXV: N/A

Not a great lineup TBH.
red's implied to be a parent at the end of ff7 also!!!

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

thinking about wade

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

My man Wade deserves a promotion.

Detective No. 27 posted:

So are the black bar spoilers I’ve been seeing in this thread from the demo or was there a leak or something?

Everything's been demo so far.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

red's implied to be a parent at the end of ff7 also!!!

Oh good point!

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

With how much Clive’s mom hates him I was wondering if she was even his biological mom, or if he was an affair baby or something

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Active Time Lore entry on her says that she's his mother, at the very least. Just mother, nothing more, nothing less.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The combat is really satisfying. I was shifting between Dark Souls and Zelda controls. My brain keeps telling me that R1 is slash and L1 is dodge.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

bobjr posted:

With how much Clive’s mom hates him I was wondering if she was even his biological mom, or if he was an affair baby or something

Nah I think he's her son,. it's just that she's so wrapped up in the Rosarian noble bullshit that she cares nothing for Clive or Edwin and even only cares about Joshua so far as his existence means "everything is in its rightful place".

faantastic
Dec 31, 2006

that dude.

That was an incredible demo. I went in completely blind on story and gameplay but had an absolute blast.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

I was 100% surprised that Wade and Taylor were not named Biggs and Wedge TBH.

Just came here to post this, 0/10 game.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Is this going to be the next Cidney vs Cindy

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Supplementary info will reveal that they're Wade Biggs and Tyler Wedge, I'm sure of it.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
End of demo spoilers and speculation:

Ok but there's like a 0 percent chance that a kid who is the Phoenix who dies in the beginning of the game stays dead

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Blockhouse posted:

Nah I think he's her son,. it's just that she's so wrapped up in the Rosarian noble bullshit that she cares nothing for Clive or Edwin and even only cares about Joshua so far as his existence means "everything is in its rightful place".

I don't think it's even a Rosarian noble thing since she's apparently working with Sanbreque. It sounds like she cared so much about Joshua because it was a long-con to get the Phoenix for Sanbreque (since the soldiers wanted to get him alive, and this makes sense since she'd be able to communicate to them "he's easy to get since he can't transform").

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Yeah, like she seems to consider Joshua seemingly dying to be a bad thing, but then stops giving a poo poo right after. Then has her handmaids murdered for seemingly no reason.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Impermanent posted:

End of demo spoilers and speculation:

Ok but there's like a 0 percent chance that a kid who is the Phoenix who dies in the beginning of the game stays dead

Well yeah I mean we didn’t see a body and he’s literally phoenix

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

MonsterEnvy posted:

Yeah, like she seems to consider Joshua seemingly dying to be a bad thing, but then stops giving a poo poo right after. Then has her handmaids murdered for seemingly no reason.

My guess is that it was a "capture if possible, kill otherwise" situation.

I'm kind of sad that we (probably) won't get to know Clive's dad more. From what little we saw, he seems like a pretty interesting character who was kind of similar to Clive himself in some ways - basically a Strong Sword Guy who had to lead his country and was mostly just needed to produce an heir.

I'm also curious if they'll ever explain how in the gently caress countries keep control over unwilling dominants. Like what's to stop Shiva from just icing the Iron Kingdom army and flying away?

Crystal Lake Witch
Apr 25, 2010

I'd imagine we'll get at least a few flashback chapters that flesh out Clive's character a little more, I can't imagine we saw all there was to see just in the first few hours.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Clive's mom takes an early head start in the "Worst Mom" competition to be fair. She is exceptionally bad at moming to young Clive.

lucrecia is the worst mom, easily, all competition is for second place

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

auron if you count the like, audio dramas and poo poo as canon

difficult to categorize as far as being alive

Chomposaur
Feb 28, 2010

Man I'm getting the urge to replay the demo. I'm down bad y'all

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

MonsterEnvy posted:

Loose ends need to get tied off. To her mind, why risk some replaceable commoner outing the fact you were instrumental in infanticide? Now she's the ruler of Rosarria with lots of sympathy for her family being wiped out in an ambush she controls the narrative of.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

cock hero flux posted:

lucrecia is the worst mom, easily, all competition is for second place

How so Lucrecia did not even get to be a mom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabulous Knight
Nov 11, 2011
Incredible demo all in all. I went from teetering on the edge about the game due to it looking a bit too "grimdark" in trailers and whatnot to placing a pre-order immediately after finishing this. The entire thing just works way way better as a whole than in trailers. Exceeded every expectation I had going in.